Icebrood Saga: Champions Chapter 2 Trailer : Power (January 19) — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Living World

Icebrood Saga: Champions Chapter 2 Trailer : Power (January 19)

Carcharoth Lucian/Mini Chibii
Ruin of Surmia world
PvE : [CdL] Les Chasseurs De Légendes
WvW : [MIMs] Mobile Ingénieuse Et Marteau

Comments

  • Solanum.6983Solanum.6983 Member ✭✭✭

    So Looks to me like another slice of Story, 4 New DRM's, New Factions with some new Weapon skin Rewards, /Stretch emote and Stoneskin Infusion. More than the first chapter which is nice but I'm a little worried since each chapter is heavily focused on the missions.
    I hope they took the concerns about the first chapter seriously and have added some much needed changes to the missions.

  • Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yeah, seems like another release with little to it. New DRMs and either more gold-sink crafting or more low drop-rate items as "rewards". It's a pity that the saga seems to have run out of steam and will limp to a close.

  • @Randulf.7614 said:
    It's just more DRM's so no enthusiasm from me, although seeing the instanced Lake Doric frozen over was quite cool.

    There doesn't seem to be anything else noteworthy. Lets just hope these DRMs are at least interesting and worth replaying

    Wouldn't a new map north of DR feel much better :) , or maybe a map between Fields of Ruin and Desert Highlands, or a map connecting Deldrimor with the SHiverpeaks, or the Snake Way in the Streamspurs! All those DRMs could have easily been open world metas in new maps. Ofc this is me simply fanboying, but since these are strictly cosmetic/pve updates, at least do that correct and make it feel rewarding!

  • @Randulf.7614 said:
    It's just more DRM's so no enthusiasm from me, although seeing the instanced Lake Doric frozen over was quite cool.

    There doesn't seem to be anything else noteworthy. Lets just hope these DRMs are at least interesting and worth replaying

    At this point though this last chapter is only a filler until we reach EoD with bunch of DRMs, I doubt we will get a new map on this last chapter.
    We will get new map when EoD comes.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021

    @Grand Marshal.4098 said:

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    It's just more DRM's so no enthusiasm from me, although seeing the instanced Lake Doric frozen over was quite cool.

    There doesn't seem to be anything else noteworthy. Lets just hope these DRMs are at least interesting and worth replaying

    Wouldn't a new map north of DR feel much better :) , or maybe a map between Fields of Ruin and Desert Highlands, or a map connecting Deldrimor with the SHiverpeaks, or the Snake Way in the Streamspurs! All those DRMs could have easily been open world metas in new maps. Ofc this is me simply fanboying, but since these are strictly cosmetic/pve updates, at least do that correct and make it feel rewarding!

    I wanted a whole Shiverpeaks area for this Season. That dream is prob gone forever at this point and I've been looking forward to it since launch

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, Strikes and coming soon Dragon Response Missions to be forgot about in future updates.....

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Excursion.9752 said:
    Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, Strikes and coming soon Dragon Response Missions to be forgot about in future updates.....

    Unlike everything else listed, DRMs were never intended to be standalone game modes. They’re essentially stripped down, hollow living story content.

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Excursion.9752 said:
    Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, Strikes and coming soon Dragon Response Missions to be forgot about in future updates.....

    Unlike everything else listed, DRMs were never intended to be standalone game modes. They’re essentially stripped down, hollow living story content.

    All instanced content... All will be left on the back burner eventually... This is uninspired content is just more stuff to manage that wont be.

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • On the "cover art" is that Logan and Kasmeer? Someone else?

  • radda.8920radda.8920 Member ✭✭✭

    Boring, I'm only waiting for one thing, it's the end of this disaster, end of April
    and the poor dwarves relegated to a faction with 2 lines of dialogue, what a shame ..

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021

    @Excursion.9752 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Excursion.9752 said:
    Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, Strikes and coming soon Dragon Response Missions to be forgot about in future updates.....

    Unlike everything else listed, DRMs were never intended to be standalone game modes. They’re essentially stripped down, hollow living story content.

    All instanced content... All will be left on the back burner eventually... This is uninspired content is just more stuff to manage that wont be.

    The same can be said for all personal story and living story instances as well. All of those were “left on the back burner” too.

  • @Randulf.7614 said:

    @Grand Marshal.4098 said:

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    It's just more DRM's so no enthusiasm from me, although seeing the instanced Lake Doric frozen over was quite cool.

    There doesn't seem to be anything else noteworthy. Lets just hope these DRMs are at least interesting and worth replaying

    Wouldn't a new map north of DR feel much better :) , or maybe a map between Fields of Ruin and Desert Highlands, or a map connecting Deldrimor with the SHiverpeaks, or the Snake Way in the Streamspurs! All those DRMs could have easily been open world metas in new maps. Ofc this is me simply fanboying, but since these are strictly cosmetic/pve updates, at least do that correct and make it feel rewarding!

    I wanted a whole Shiverpeaks area for this Season. That dream is prob gone forever at this point and I've been looking forward to it since launch

    And see them not even making a Kodan allied faction by the end of this, hell centaurs even. Means what we saw in release trailers was all fake worldbuilding lol.

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Excursion.9752 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Excursion.9752 said:
    Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, Strikes and coming soon Dragon Response Missions to be forgot about in future updates.....

    Unlike everything else listed, DRMs were never intended to be standalone game modes. They’re essentially stripped down, hollow living story content.

    All instanced content... All will be left on the back burner eventually... This is uninspired content is just more stuff to manage that wont be.

    The same can be said for all personal story and living story instances as well. All of those were “left on the back burner” too.

    Yes it can and it is true. Just the other day in these forums people were asking for updates to the story content. Never going to happen.

    DRM is just paint on an old car trying to sell it as something new. I guess some people are happy with it. I just find it unacceptable. They tried these smaller update cycle windows back in Season one and it didn't work there. That is why they went away from it. It did not give them enough time to put out anything worth mentioning and it put stress on their development team.

    I guess we should get used to these sub par content releases while the new expansion is in Development. Anet has always struggled with multi tasking. They are very well known for pulling people from what they are working on to work on the bigger better thing.

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    After Chapter 1 was such a disaster I have no hype for this one.
    I just hope that it doesn't end with an open story mission again.

  • Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021

    In terms of business strategy putting their "A team" on the expansion is a wise move because new customer acquisition is paramount to sustaining their business model.

    What I expect is:

    • Instanced DRMs using old assets whether they are maps (typically unpopulated core maps) or models --- check ; also it's slated to continue til April 2021
    • A few weaponsets based off older weapon sets (low amount of risk and investment) --- check
    • Incremental improvement to the reward structure --- supposedly there's a new emote and infusion , but will wait to see what those entail
    • An end to that timer countdown when all the pre-events in a DRM are completed , less dialogue in CM --- hopeful for this

    If I remember correctly dungeons are "dead" due to the dev responsible for that content type unable to work on them due to technical issues or something akin to that. Raids are just a niche mode but they still had investment (Key of Ahdashim in 2019 , Mythwright Gambit in 2018) which seems to have shifted to strike missions as of 2019; fractals had investment just this past year and even before that (Sunqua Peak in 2020 , Siren's Reef in 2019 , Deepstone in 2018 for example). Just because the cadence isn't to your liking doesn't mean they aren't being worked on.

    The difference between DRMs and the older living story as far as I know is there is no "public" instance of living story : it used to be party based. If you look back at Forging Steel that was more or less an experiment with a public instance of living story.

    edit: would be worth linking to the page explaining it all https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/january-19-2021/

  • Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021

    Are any of you surprised we're getting more DRMs? You didn't think they were suddenly giving us fully fleshed out maps, right? I don't remember if the devs confirmed 10 DRMs, but the data miners at least pointed us toward that reality. The third part will be a few more DRMs, and the fourth part, the finale, will likely be more instanced story content. Data miners revealed the EotN map will get a small expansion before Icebrood Saga comes to a close. We'll be able to explore the zone immediately outside the structure, but it won't be a big area. Still, a welcome development from me.

    The devs have made it pretty clear by now that Icebrood Saga is coming to a rapid close as they focus on the expansion, so expect the least from these story updates. Of note, they are trying to get the finale out in April now instead of May. It's good to hear they are (seemingly) ahead of schedule. Hopefully that means good things for the expansion.

    I don't hate the concept of DRMs or using those as a format for delivering story content, but they do need to make some improvements to the format. Hopefully they have adjusted for some of the major complaints, but I will anticipate otherwise.

    It does feel jarring how quickly Jormag's "friendship" seems to have evaporated. It seemed inevitable, but it's annoying to see it happen so rapidly. I suppose it could be rogue Svanir that are up to something separate from Jormag, but that seems unlikely. I could see them feeling angry and betrayed by Jormag selecting a Charr champion over one of their own, however. Edit: I believe there are Icebrood in the trailer though. I can't remember if the non-corrupted Svanir cover themselves in ice too though, or if only the Svanir turned to Icebrood have that aesthetic.

  • Jilora.9524Jilora.9524 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Just as I feared after epi 1. All these are static repeat 3 drm 2 factions and next tier weapon unlock. So fun. I log in now to my accounts for mc's etc. Maybe release day I'll play the story once thru and play something else till Cantha. Really disappointed in this content.

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    So we have to wait 100% longer bettwen faction weeks this chapter.
    Deldrimor Dwarves 19jan-26jan then a 2 week gap instead of 1 with most likely Tengu the 16 of feb.
    Did I miss some threads complaining that we got content to quick so they decided to delay it?

  • @Linken.6345 said:
    So we have to wait 100% longer bettwen faction weeks this chapter.
    Deldrimor Dwarves 19jan-26jan then a 2 week gap instead of 1 with most likely Tengu the 16 of feb.
    Did I miss some threads complaining that we got content to quick so they decided to delay it?

    No uh I think they just dragged this out like I said in the first place Linken this final chapter basically like just filler, they only doing minimum amount of work till the EoD arrives.

  • Nazarick.9653Nazarick.9653 Member ✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

    And see them not even making a Kodan allied faction by the end of this, hell centaurs even. Means what we saw in release trailers was all fake worldbuilding lol.

    What you saw was the original plan, before the management team left and the plan was replaced by "create a new expansion ASAP".
    (think of it as being like GoT series 7+8, being truncated and rushed out so they could focus on the new SW movies)

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Seems this chapter is more based around Jormag's minions.. kind of odd that the Dwarf's make an appearance now since they are far more involved with Primordus.
    One more faction coming too.. Tengu? I hope it's the Tengu.

    But these factions really don't feel like anything yet tbh.. I don't feel like i'm building a multi race army to stand against these dragons because I can't see that progressing in the game yet.
    Hopefully we'll get something that does show this in part 2.

  • So Champions is one episode split into 4 smaller updates. Got it.

  • Tsakhi.8124Tsakhi.8124 Member ✭✭✭

    Right now, I'm just kind of riding the waves. I find unguarded enthusiasm to be rather troublesome. Could it be good? Yes. Could it not be? Yes. Will it really affect my goals? No. I'm trying not to set goals that are out of my reach, it's kind of like the affirmation of happiness: "I am happy" as opposed to "I will be happy." Saying I am opposed to I will be is kind of pointless.

    "How so big the sea hills how so deep the blue beneath.
    Hail from the main and comest thou home."

    Sigrdrífumál
    Նոտ ենուղ պատիենծե
    Will work for hugs and head pets.
    Also food.

  • Solanum.6983Solanum.6983 Member ✭✭✭

    @Teratus.2859 said:
    Seems this chapter is more based around Jormag's minions.. kind of odd that the Dwarf's make an appearance now since they are far more involved with Primordus.
    One more faction coming too.. Tengu? I hope it's the Tengu.

    But these factions really don't feel like anything yet tbh.. I don't feel like i'm building a multi race army to stand against these dragons because I can't see that progressing in the game yet.
    Hopefully we'll get something that does show this in part 2.

    The Release page says the next faction will "Float your way on February 16th" so I assume that's the Exalted since the Dwarves and Exalted where shown fighting in the first half of the trailer.
    The Skirt and Tengu where shown as part of the "what the Future holds" section which Is most likely for Chapter 3 in March.

  • Hypnowulf.7403Hypnowulf.7403 Member ✭✭✭

    No one noticed, then? How interesting.

    There's an obvious absence here, a presence that ought be felt yet is nowhere to be seen. Where be the march of icy-blue digitigrade legs? Have no others missed the sass and playful conceit of our most recent ally? It was the first thing I noticed—not a sign of them. That in and of itself would suggest that something is afoot, a clawed a-foot.

    There's no Frost legion, loves. That's a mite bit strange. Thus, I exercise my right as a buffoon to call shenanigans. I vehemently call shenanigans. I know not what the goal is but the story once again has my attention, for I want to know what Ry-Ry and his frost-bitten brigade are up to! Indeed, the question is to be asked whether these Svanir act trully in the name of Jormag. One might ask whether they've been duped, or if there is something more... duplicitous going on here. Pun intended, if you get my drift.

    Needless to say, I still have faith that Jormag does indeed stand with us despite what this trailer portends. As to why I think so? Well, time will tell. I admit, I have no idea if my crackpot theories will play out but I do wonder.

  • All this and unfortunately, I'm under the impression that the Expac will be rather limited. 4 maps, smaller than PoF maps and that's it. I mean it would be the same as the other 2 expacs, but the whole effort that's being said to be put in the expac, ontop of the game receving scarce updates for the span of probably a year before said expac comes out, tells to me that EoD will not sustain the game for 2 or 3 years like PoF. I joined in 2019, so old players may disagree, but thats what I feel like. As a rather new player.

  • Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Hypnowulf.7403 said:
    No one noticed, then? How interesting.

    There's an obvious absence here, a presence that ought be felt yet is nowhere to be seen. Where be the march of icy-blue digitigrade legs? Have no others missed the sass and playful conceit of our most recent ally? It was the first thing I noticed—not a sign of them. That in and of itself would suggest that something is afoot, a clawed a-foot.

    There's no Frost legion, loves. That's a mite bit strange. Thus, I exercise my right as a buffoon to call shenanigans. I vehemently call shenanigans. I know not what the goal is but the story once again has my attention, for I want to know what Ry-Ry and his frost-bitten brigade are up to! Indeed, the question is to be asked whether these Svanir act trully in the name of Jormag. One might ask whether they've been duped, or if there is something more... duplicitous going on here. Pun intended, if you get my drift.

    Needless to say, I still have faith that Jormag does indeed stand with us despite what this trailer portends. As to why I think so? Well, time will tell. I admit, I have no idea if my crackpot theories will play out but I do wonder.

    Oh I noticed. As one of the DRMs is in a frozen Lake Doric with Sons of Svanir as the enemy I think it's safe to say that Jormag's inevitable betrayal will occur in this patch.

    "You will all be preserved... in ice" went Jormag, and everyone went "Gasp! The evil and manipulative Dragon turned out to be evil and manipulative! What a twist!"

  • Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Grand Marshal.4098 said:
    All this and unfortunately, I'm under the impression that the Expac will be rather limited. 4 maps, smaller than PoF maps and that's it.

    They have more people on this expansion than any previous one and by the end of the year it will have been how long it took to develop S3+PoF.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Solanum.6983 said:

    @Teratus.2859 said:
    Seems this chapter is more based around Jormag's minions.. kind of odd that the Dwarf's make an appearance now since they are far more involved with Primordus.
    One more faction coming too.. Tengu? I hope it's the Tengu.

    But these factions really don't feel like anything yet tbh.. I don't feel like i'm building a multi race army to stand against these dragons because I can't see that progressing in the game yet.
    Hopefully we'll get something that does show this in part 2.

    The Release page says the next faction will "Float your way on February 16th" so I assume that's the Exalted since the Dwarves and Exalted where shown fighting in the first half of the trailer.
    The Skirt and Tengu where shown as part of the "what the Future holds" section which Is most likely for Chapter 3 in March.

    Yeah that makes sense, they're bound to keep us waiting for the Tengu specially since the Tengu been sitting back for so long xD

  • So 15 more cms for the achieve, yawn.

  • Besides the locations for the next patch. I'm not even slightly excited about this. Icebrood Saga has been amazing narratively with good villains. They are not doing the story they started justice. What I find most frustrating is that it feels like Icebrood Saga has been pushed into wrapping up quickly for the expac more for the sake of 'getting it over with'. And in doing so it makes it seem like they see their players as ignorant. "Grind these mob bash instances for an entire week for terrible rewards, look how exciting it is!" DRMs are not fun. I play living world for the story. I love gw2 but this is so utterly disappointing.

  • PeLi.5498PeLi.5498 Member ✭✭

    More skins and more the same. Wow. Amazing "new" content

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Grand Marshal.4098 said:
    [...] tells to me that EoD will not sustain the game for 2 or 3 years like PoF. I joined in 2019, so old players may disagree, but thats what I feel like. As a rather new player.

    2 or 3 years? I was done with PoF on all of my characters within less than a year.

    I'm expecting the upcoming expansion to be an excellent piece of work after the drought that is the Icebrood Saga finale.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021

    @Ashantara.8731 said:
    2 or 3 years? I was done with PoF on all of my characters within less than a year.

    They likely also included season 4 and 5, despite only mentioning PoF.
    After all, the Living World seasons are GW2's equivalent of X.1 or X.2 patches like in WoW or FF14.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    They likely also included season 4 and 5, despite only mentioning PoF.

    Ah, yes, that makes sense.

  • Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

    I do wonder if chapter 4 will end the Icebrood saga, or if there’ll be a epilogue episode to resolve any major threads and properly set up for EoDs (similar to the prologue introduced some major characters and themes of Icebrood Saga).

  • anninke.7469anninke.7469 Member ✭✭✭

    @devanea.2041 said:
    I play living world for the story. I love gw2 but this is so utterly disappointing.

    This. So much this.

    Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes sore feet.
    All things...grow. And the blossom bothers the weed.
    Act with wisdom and axe.