It’s happening! Stretch Animation - [Merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

It’s happening! Stretch Animation - [Merged]

Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2021 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

The old stretch animations are coming back - as an emote we’ll be able to control!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/january-19-2021/

“Learn to /stretch”

Also a new infusion which is always cool except it’s another skin one so kind of useless if you have any others

I'd rather keep going.. wherever the wind takes us

Comments

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was only human females who got a stretch animation removed. Were they removed from other races/genders too, or are they getting a new one?

Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

"Life's a journey, not a destination."

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:
    I thought it was only human females who got a stretch animation removed. Were they removed from other races/genders too, or are they getting a new one?

I expect it to be a new one.

@Fueki.4753 said:
    I expect /stretch to be another meta achievement reward that I will not get.

I enjoy emote rewards from achievements - they are fun.

• Shadowmoon.7986Shadowmoon.7986 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021

Are we finally getting the lost female human animation back in the stretch emote?

• Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

I don't think all the grinds involved in the meta-achievements are anywhere close to being fun.
    They did it right with the prologue and added the emote as a PvP reward.
    They didn't have to do it wrong with every other emote.

Didn't they add the /playdead emote to a few vendors in Drizzlewood Coast? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/"/Playdead"_Emote_Tome Or am I reading the wiki wrong?

Don't cry, Daniel
    Fear not, Daniel
    Don't you know you're not alone?

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:

Yes, I assume this is part of the reason it took so long for them to add back (developing stretch animations for other races and genders)

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021

@Batel.9206 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

I don't think all the grinds involved in the meta-achievements are anywhere close to being fun.

Didn't they add the /playdead emote to a few vendors in Drizzlewood Coast? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/"/Playdead"_Emote_Tome Or am I reading the wiki wrong?

I think it's only available for purchase after you unlock it and somehow misplace?
    I know I was looking through the vendors before I unlocked it and it wasn't there.

...anyways, it's a reward that's fun to have, but not gamechanging by any means. If someone wants the reward, do the achievements. If achievements are "too hard/not worth you time" then... don't. This is just a cosmetic/vanity item that isn't even consistently (or semi-consistently, like mount skins) available to see, so I don't see the problem with putting it as a meta achievement reward. Feels like a pretty good place for it tbh.

• Ogwom.7940Ogwom.7940 Member ✭✭✭

That’s pretty neat.
    I just wish we could get the wolf and snow leopard shaman armour skins.

The trailer also seems to depict a share with a new cape that could look similar to the the beast slayer weapon set. I am guessing it will be a gemstone item.

@Ogwom.7940 said:
    That’s pretty neat.
    I just wish we could get the wolf and snow leopard shaman armour skins.

The trailer also seems to depict a share with a new cape that could look similar to the the beast slayer weapon set. I am guessing it will be a gemstone item.

Agreed on the shaman skins. It seemed we were going to get all four (one set per two episodes), but with things having changed it doesn't look like this is the case unless we get both of the missing sets in the finale

• Ogwom.7940Ogwom.7940 Member ✭✭✭

@Fenom.9457

True say.
    Let’s keep our fingers crossed xD

• @Sobx.1758 said:

@Batel.9206 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

I think it's only available for purchase after you unlock it and somehow misplace?
    I know I was looking through the vendors before I unlocked it and it wasn't there.

...anyways, it's a reward that's fun to have, but not gamechanging by any means. If someone wants the reward, do the achievements. If achievements are "too hard/not worth you time" then... don't. This is just a cosmetic/vanity item that isn't even consistently (or semi-consistently, like mount skins) available to see, so I don't see the problem with putting it as a meta achievement reward. Feels like a pretty good place for it tbh.

I have it unlocked, and only have 19 of 22 Achievements. Thus, I must have purchased it.

• Mortifera.6138Mortifera.6138 Member ✭✭✭

kitten, more DRMs. -_-

edited January 13, 2021

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Batel.9206 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

I have it unlocked, and only have 19 of 22 Achievements. Thus, I must have purchased it.

Or maybe stop spreading false information, because that emote is a 4th tier reward. Thus, it is being received for completing 19 out of 22 achievements. So... no. ;)

• erthebear.8109erthebear.8109 Member ✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

Dangling pre-existing content as a goal doesn't inspire confidence or a desire to follow the tasks.

I expect it to be spammed en masse in every zerg event I find myself in regardless.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Batel.9206 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

Is their a teir system in that map? Tried last night and npcs didn't show but that was also the start of the event map.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

I agree that many of the newer achievements involve grinding, which isn't fun (unless the activity you have to grind is enjoyable). But I remember the last one that you had to do to unlock an emote required you to visit various icy mountain tops across Tyria (where you had to use the /shiver emote), and that I think was a fun idea.

• anduriell.6280anduriell.6280 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

@Svarty.8019 said:
    Looks like a lot of effort just for PvE.

More than PvE players in general it is for the roleplay community, stretching emote is not something you would use in any instance it does communicate nothing to other players.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    But I remember the last one that you had to do to unlock an emote required you to visit various icy mountain tops across Tyria (where you had to use the /shiver emote), and that I think was a fun idea.

If it was just such smaller achievements, that actually are related to the emote, that granted said emotes, I'd be all for it.
    But sadly it isn't.

The same meta achievement also required things like
    doing each shrine event 20 times,
    doing Idol of Jormag events 20 times,
    attacking enemies with T3 essence skills 30 times,
    defeating the Boneskinner in the Sanctum Arena without being downed or defeated,
    lighting 30 torches during the Boneskinner fight
    and many more grinds.

So, the few interesting and potentially fun achievements are heavily over-shadowed by needless - and for many people unwanted - grinds.
    To me, one simple emote simply isn't worth the mind-numbing slog.

edited January 13, 2021

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Batel.9206 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

Is their a teir system in that map? Tried last night and npcs didn't show but that was also the start of the event map.

Nah, he's just wrong, you get it as a reward for 4th tier which is 19/22 achievements.

edited January 13, 2021

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    But I remember the last one that you had to do to unlock an emote required you to visit various icy mountain tops across Tyria (where you had to use the /shiver emote), and that I think was a fun idea.

If it was just such smaller achievements, that actually are related to the emote, that granted said emotes, I'd be all for it.
    But sadly it isn't.

The same meta achievement also required things like
    doing each shrine event 20 times,
    doing Idol of Jormag events 20 times,
    attacking enemies with T3 essence skills 30 times,
    defeating the Boneskinner in the Sanctum Arena without being downed or defeated,
    lighting 30 torches during the Boneskinner fight
    and many more grinds.

So, the few interesting and potentially fun achievements are heavily over-shadowed by needless - and for many people unwanted - grinds.
    To me, one simple emote simply isn't worth the mind-numbing slog.

So you just won't do what is required and you won't get it. This is optional content and as you say: it's just an emote (just like before we had just a single item skin as a reward for these "milestone" achievements), I'm not sure what's the problem with that. Why are some people suddenly surprised by those meta-rewards as if we ever had more than that? What else would you exactly expect to get?

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

i remember a time when an emote was added in a game as a feature, not as a reward.
    oh wait, GW is full of that and has more than GW2.......

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

@sorudo.9054 said:
    i remember a time when an emote was added in a game as a feature, not as a reward.

I feel like a balance would be better. Some just added in and some that are unlocked. But I get that they take a while to make, so using them as rewards justifies their creation. Otherwise we probably wouldn’t be getting any

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

@Sobx.1758 said:
    So you just won't do what is required and you won't get it. This is optional content and as you say: it's just an emote (just like before we had just a single item skin as a reward for these "milestone" achievements), I'm not sure what's the problem with that. Why are some people suddenly surprised by those meta-rewards as if we ever had more than that?

It's not about being surprised. It's about being disappointed in many cases and some people feel even stronger negative emotions than simple disappointment.

People already were disappointed that GW2 launched with but a fraction of the emotes GW1 had.
    And Arenanet further cemented that feeling by making them rewards, rather than baseline.
    And Arenanet then nurtured the disappointment even further by not giving people the option to grind the emote in PvP.
    Emotes in reward tracks could also revitalize PvP for a short time after the release, which the mode is in dire need of.

What else would you exactly expect to get?

Does the Meta-achievement need rewards in the first place?
    The other achievements already had their rewards.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:
    So you just won't do what is required and you won't get it. This is optional content and as you say: it's just an emote (just like before we had just a single item skin as a reward for these "milestone" achievements), I'm not sure what's the problem with that. Why are some people suddenly surprised by those meta-rewards as if we ever had more than that?

It's not about being surprised. It's about being disappointed in many cases and some people feel even stronger negative emotions than simple disappointment.

People already were disappointed that GW2 launched with but a fraction of the emotes GW1 had.
    And Arenanet further cemented that feeling by making them rewards, rather than baseline.

Ok.

And Arenanet then nurtured the disappointment even further by not giving people the option to grind the emote in PvP.
    Emotes in reward tracks could also revitalize PvP for a short time after the release, which the mode is in dire need of.

I think that claiming a reward track rewarding an emote would somehow revitalize pvp is a huge stretch -and that's to put it lightly.
    ...also if you add it as a reward track in pvp, there's not much of a reason not to add it in wvw, at which point people that aren't interested in neither would have easier time to complete that track in wvw by pveing (camps/veteran creatures) inbetween semi-afking for 5-8 minutes. So I can't say I agree "revitalizing pvp with an emote" is a valid argument.

What else would you exactly expect to get?

Does the Meta-achievement need rewards in the first place?
    The other achievements already had their rewards.

Sure, maybe it doesn't need one, but why wouldn't we want it to have a reward? Other achievements had their rewards, the meta achievement is a kind of a "bigger picture" achievement that acknolwedges and rewards you for completing a chunk of content released in given area/patch, not just some miniscule part of it for an isolated reward. It's your milestone marker that says you've completed most of the content released there and THIS is what you have to bring back from it. Again: don't want it? Then don't do it, I don't see the problem.
    And just as "maybe meta achievement doesn't need a reward in the first place"... Maybe we don't need new emotes at all, eh? Sure, we don't. But it's nice having something new and putting that something which is purely cosmetic at the end of that achievement seems to be a decent place for that.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

This is yet another achievement that does not appeal to me, so I probably won't even bother with whatever content there is to gain it. I know that most in my small play group feel the same. I get it: there are those who have been panting for this emote thing for ages. It disappoints me to place it behind content which pretty much dis-incentivizes me from playing. Yeah, I know, I could still do the content anyway, but ... why?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

Let's hope the infusion doesn't required tens of thousands of gold to make or an RNG drop that might as well not exist.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:
    Let's hope the infusion doesn't required tens of thousands of gold to make or an RNG drop that might as well not exist.

Ofc it will, and ofc it will lol

• anduriell.6280anduriell.6280 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Ofc it will, and ofc it will lol

The grinding part of this game is there so players keep returning for months even with no new content been provided. I am sure the future will only bring much more grind than we have now, it is easy engagement.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021

Emotes well better than nothing. But I do think that some new racial skins or standalone ones could be rewarded by helping an npc as example: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Riff_Sootclaw
    I think as example of boneskinner skins it could have been linked to boneskinners in some way, by using the corrupted grove shrine in west bjora or the boss fight in east bjora like dunno finding all the traps dead corpses sumoning boneskinner as example. Too many rewards depend on grind or rng, see the core philosophy, that charr award you with a beanie for repairing its tank! Can't it be done with some npcs in each map requiring you to do a little task? Dunno, you help training troops and get a special weapon and so on. I think it could be as quest reward, but currently those give poor gold and karma and are only good for xp.

I prefer that emote to be behind achievs because you know you can finish enough one day or another, it is reachable compared to 1/1000 chances to drop. I do wonder how the emote will look on different races. There are two emotes I am missing, the meditation from sandswept and the tinkering one used by npcs near machines showing them moving hands closely like they are crafting something.

The final thing is that, since norn got 2 new cultural set literally of raven and bear shamans, I would like charr and asura having some too. No, some helm skins for charrs aren't sufficient.

Shiny links, take a look!
    ->Ideas: Housing , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    ->Project: ASURAN/PRIMORDIUS EXPANSION available on WIKI.
    ->NEW: Crucible of Eternity path 4: Legacy on WIKI
    ->NEW Asurapedia

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fenom.9457 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

I feel like a balance would be better. Some just added in and some that are unlocked. But I get that they take a while to make, so using them as rewards justifies their creation. Otherwise we probably wouldn’t be getting any

the first GW literally has more emotes, the worst part is that GW has more possibilities.
    also, the commands already exists in the game, everything in GW can be added in GW2 but it takes a bit to convert.

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

• Although I like emotes and welcome new ones, making them the end reward of a meta (as with the /shiver) is a pathetically cheap action from Anet.

@Tuna Bandit.3786 said:
    Although I like emotes and welcome new ones, making them the end reward of a meta (as with the /shiver) is a pathetically cheap action from Anet.

How is this any different than placing skins at the end of those achievements?

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭

The only regret I have about shiver emote is the useless shiverplus emote. Way far better emotes could have took its place like /meditate /tinker /shoutout...

Shiny links, take a look!
    ->Ideas: Housing , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    ->Project: ASURAN/PRIMORDIUS EXPANSION available on WIKI.
    ->NEW: Crucible of Eternity path 4: Legacy on WIKI
    ->NEW Asurapedia

@hugo.4705 said:
    The only regret I have about shiver emote is the useless shiverplus emote. Way far better emotes could have took its place like /meditate /tinker /shoutout...

Adding an effect to an existing emote is way easier than making an all new one though. We didn’t miss out on one for shiverplus, we never would’ve gotten a full emote in its place

• @Fueki.4753 said:
    Arenanet needs to make them all baseline or at least put them into PvP Reward tracks.

I second that!

I tried grinding and it takes MONTHS to get... I give up with other Emote is so hard.

I like the idea to put PvP/wvw(?) tracks. it makes me go exciting more! [/Rockout on PvP Reward is totally only available so far]

• TwoGhosts.6790TwoGhosts.6790 Member ✭✭✭

@anduriell.6280 said:

@Svarty.8019 said:

More than PvE players in general it is for the roleplay community, stretching emote is not something you would use in any instance it does communicate nothing to other players.

I'm interested, in what situations would the stretch emote feature in an RP context... or do I not want to know?

• Fuchslein.8639Fuchslein.8639 Member ✭✭✭

I found out that when players sit down leaning against their mount, this is a chair from the Gemshop.
    That would be an emote for which I would grind a collection / an achievement but not for a ridiculous shaking or stretching which I will never use anyway...

@Fuchslein.8639 said:
    I found out that when players sit down leaning against their mount, this is a chair from the Gemshop.
    That would be an emote for which I would grind

You're in luck then, because you can grind for ~200 gold and then exchange it for 600 gems :D

...or when you say "grind" you don't really mean "grind"?

• Maulclaw.4365Maulclaw.4365 Member ✭✭✭

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:

@anduriell.6280 said:

@Svarty.8019 said:

I'm interested, in what situations would the stretch emote feature in an RP context... or do I not want to know?

I dunno, when a character... needs to stretch? It's such a basic emote in a lot of MMOs.

• Maulclaw.4365Maulclaw.4365 Member ✭✭✭

Any gifs or videos on how the /stretch emote looks across all races? The still image doesn't say much.