[Suggestion] Guardian's Aegis Toggle

Alexander.7542

Guardian has been my favorite class since release, but I've always disliked how Aegis looked visually.

I understand that shields are part of the profession's theme, but the Aegis effect ruins the majority of shields and looks silly when activated while wielding a greatsword or hammer.

I'm not suggesting it be removed from the game, but a menu option to turn off the visual effect client-side would be wonderful.

Thanks! :smile:

• 5 months later...

I'd love to see this idea expanded just a little bit to include all passive character effects including Revenant/Elementalist hand effects. A simple key binding to toggle it on/off and have it so as soon as you engage in combat or activate a skill it turns back on. Would be really nice for those moments you want to take a screen grab or show off your garb without the clutter of additional effects.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I agree an option to turn it off on our end, like how we can toggle off the sound effects of other players without affecting them, would be great.

That way they could still see the aegis marker if they wanted to for visual cues while in combat, but people who didn't want to see it on their own characters would be able to take screenshots without it clipping through and obscuring everything :(

@"Bezerker.2379" said:I mean, honestly, this is how you appear in the world. You have a giant glowy shield on you at all times! :) Think about how awkward that must be. In the shower "Stupid shield!" in bed "Argh!" etc.What? Aegis can be extremely useful in bed. I guess it depends on what you're into.

To the people arguing that aegis' visual cue is important for pvp-balance reasons: No, not really.

1. Stability, which is a much more important boon to know if an opponent has up (to decide whether or not you want to use a CC or boon strip/corrupt) has absolutely no visual cue.
  2. You don't look to your target to tell if they have aegis up, you look to their boon bar (because the visual effect is suppressed under certain conditions)
  3. There are certain shields that hide the effect of aegis by either being too bulky, or hiding the color and outline of aegis. Eidolon is a good example of a such a shield

Lets be honest here, the REAL reason aegis' visual isn't changed is because Anet doesn't feel like devoting resources to changing it. The complaint that aegis' visual mars shields is honestly the stronger argument but it's not enough to get Anet to enact change. To be clear, changing aegis' visual is not about pvp balance.

If this issue ever does get fixed, here is a very simple fix that would please everyone:

When you gain aegis initially (or draw your weapon if you already had aegis on), the same visual animation plays out that we have now. You get a light blue shield around your left arm. This effect will linger for a couple seconds, but then fade exactly like how it does right now, when your weapon is stowed. It will still obviously be visible on the boon bar.

Archived