Will inventory management ever be fixed?? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Will inventory management ever be fixed??

vicky.9751vicky.9751 Member ✭✭
edited January 13, 2021 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Inventory sucks in like every mmo i've played, but here it is so annoying to sort through all this kitten that you get. Half of my playtime is probably trying to clear out my inventory. I have currencies, some stuff that can't be sold, and some stuff i HAVE TO type the name in to discard. It's so awful, does anyone have any solution..? I think when gw2 launches on steam new players will hate it too..

Comments

• Fuchslein.8639Fuchslein.8639 Member ✭✭✭

The funny thing is, I used to think that you had to type in the name of things to prevent accidentally deleting valuable things. But, many valuable things, including things you shouldn't delete for achievements, you can delete just like that. And for that there are so many junk products where you have to enter the name...
    Sure, you can post that in the chat window and then copy it. But still, it's just so nonsensically implemented.
    For such a thing resources were wasted, while here in the forum many scream at every little wish "for this no resources should be wasted!1!11".

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

Manage your inventory better, leave items you know you want to have (for whatever reason, currencies that can't be stored or filled your storage already are a decent example here) on the bottom, leave open space at the top for random drops. Use "sell junk" at npc vendors to sell grey junk with one click, use the button at top right to store materials with one click.
    Items that you have to type the name in to discard ARE stupid and annoying, I don't think there's a way around that, but luckily they're rare enough to not care that much imo.
    Finally, get bag slots and/or bigger bags. Also might get some special bags ("items of this type go here first"), but I never saw the reason to get them tbh.

Also if you keep getting the same stackable item all the time at the content you're currently doing/repeating/farming, don't bother with salvaging/selling/storing it one by one, just put it aside and let it stack. Example of that throughout most of farmable max lvl content is unidentified gear. Clear it when it reaches full stack.

• Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

It used to be way worse than this. Half of the currencies that are now in the wallet used to be trophies that you kept in the inventory, like pact crowbars and geodes i think and stuff. It could use some more work and some QoL improvements but it's not nearly as horrendeous as it used to be.

Compared to the state it was when i stopped playing, it's pretty nice now. Only the achievement and quest items clog up the slots, but it's pretty clean now compared to how it was.

@Sobx.1758 said:
    Finally, get bag slots and/or bigger bags. Also might get some special bags ("items of this type go here first"), but I never saw the reason to get them tbh.

Invisible bags are nice to have so that "salvage all" doesn't salvage unidentified gear. also for putting anything you don't want to accidentally sell in there.

• Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭✭✭

Personally I don't use the special type of bags. I like to have my own order and arrange manually. When running to farm or do other stuff (dailies, fractals, etc.) I clean up the trash regularly. Depending on how much total free space I have I might have to do this more often.

In festivals I usually keep the stuff that stacks up a lot ... and sell/consume (for achievement) only at 250 or at the end of the festival. So more space occupied.
    Other than that I deposit materials (selling from the storage if it is full or converting ore to ingots). And I often immediately sell the crests, medaillons, etc. (They really should make them salvagable.)

The unidentified gear I start to keep until I finish my daily play. (This just appears again too fast. Does not make sense to sell/salvage it every few kills :D)

Made my bags/sorting thematically by function. At the bottom the pretty rare stuff (black lion keys and revive orb and other stuff). At the top somewhere are WvW blueprints. My main does have all bag slots unlocked. (Not everyone with 20slot bag yet though. I aim for full 32 slot bags set there on the main ... as long-term goal.) Other chars than the main might just use less cause I don't use them to play every type of content. The main as all-rounder just ends up having most stuff ready to access with him in all those bags.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's the type of content I play, but I rarely end up with items where you have to type the name to delete them. It's annoying when it happens but not something that comes up on a regular basis.

My normal process is:
    1. Salvage rare equipment & open bags
    2. Deposit materials
    3. Sell anything remaining on the TP (looking out for anything I'm not sure about or want to keep, which goes in an invisible bag at the bottom of my inventory)
    4. Salvage any equipment which can't be sold
    5. Deposit materials again
    6. Go through from bottom to top to check for anything remaining and put it in the invisible bag or at the top, depending on if I want to keep it, and to use any luck from salvaging (I still haven't maxed magic find)
    7. Open any unidentified gear
    8. Repeat steps 1-6
    9. Sell anything remaining outside the invisible bag to an NPC merchant

It probably sounds complicated but it takes me a couple of minutes at most to go through the whole process.

Then when I'm in a town and have more time I'll sort out the stuff I added to the invisible bag, which is usually less than 5 items. Some of them I already know what I want to do with (like materials I couldn't deposit because I hit the limit, or the writs of experience from dailies) so those are easy. Occasionally there's an item I need to look up on the Wiki to work out what it's for, but not normally more than one or two at most.

Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

"Life's a journey, not a destination."

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

Invisible bags are nice to have so that "salvage all" doesn't salvage unidentified gear. also for putting anything you don't want to accidentally sell in there.

Oh, true. Good call

• The thing is, there should not even be bags.

Inventory should be infinite in space and automatically sorted by category for easy retrieval.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gudradain.3892 said:
    The thing is, there should not even be bags.

Inventory should be infinite in space and automatically sorted by category for easy retrieval.

You're joking, right? How would Anet pay for unlimited storage space or a database that could manage such?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

It takes experience before you're able to tell what you need to keep, what to sell, and what to just toss. I do cringe whenever I see images of people's inventories though.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Gudradain.3892 said:

You're joking, right? How would Anet pay for unlimited storage space or a database that could manage such?

Lol, could you imagine the hoarders that would create? :sweat_smile:
    I bet 10 people hoarding everything would crash the server on a regular basis haha!

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Gudradain.3892 said:

It would incentivize Anet to stop giving us junk items, at the very least!

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I've played both games with a 'grid' inventory like we have and ones where it's just a list sorted by categories and personally I prefer the grid because although it has to be sorted manually it lets me use any sorting system I like.

I can keep food I'm actually using on this character clearly separate from food I've picked up and want to give to another character or sell. I can group together everything I want to put in the bank even if it's all different types of items, instead of having to go through and check each category and remind myself again which of the items in there are to be kept and which need banking. For me it's much more logical and easier to manage, even with having to move things around.

Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

"Life's a journey, not a destination."

• Personally I think this is the best inventory system of any game that I've played. Sure its not perfect, nothing ever is, but the massive amounts of space you can get even without spending gems blows so many other games out of the water, and the 'Deposit Materials' options is a life saver.

Hate Is Fuel.

edited January 14, 2021

Just be happy Anet is not selling 1 square of inventory spaces for 10 dollars. They give you a whole bag slot for less.
    And yes, i've seen games that give you insultingly crammed inventory and assault you with junk drops just to force you to buy inventory from the cash shop.
    Those are the games that, no matter how good they might be otherwise, i always avoid.

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021

@Gudradain.3892 said:

You can turn off the bags then, see all inventory as one. Infinite is not a concept for any game.

Personally I have my setup as:
    Multiple normal
    Olmakhan
    Invisible

That way all kitten end up in the normal bags, I go to the olmakhan to open all kitten containers inside containers inside more containers while their content (when not containers) end up in the normal bags. In the invisble bags I got siege, food, etc.

So if I start with empty normal bags, then after say a DS meta has tons in inventory, it just takes a minute to clear it. Deposit, open all containers, salvage all, deposit again, sort inventory, sell garbage. Done. Normal bags cleared. In the olmakhan I also have some stackable items (currency drops etc, start of stacks for maxed out bank stuff), since they dont sort they stay put and dont mess up cleaned normal bags.

Bank management is far more painfull. I got entire characters to stockpile silk. Just piles and piles of silk.

gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

• @Veprovina.4876 said:
    Just be happy Anet is not selling 1 square of inventory spaces for 10 dollars. They give you a whole bag slot for less.
    And yes, i've seen games that give you insultingly crammed inventory and assault you with junk drops just to force you to buy inventory from the cash shop.
    Those are the games that, no matter how good they might be otherwise, i always avoid.

I know your pain.

Hate Is Fuel.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

I know your pain.

Yeah, i played a few of those. Never made it far exactly because of the inventory thing. At least in GW2 you know you start with 20 spaces but you can make or buy bags to expand that, plus, the game gives you some starter bags anyway. Not all games are that fair lol... And infinite anything in games is a recipe for disaster, especially in an MMO where each item is an entry into a database. Multiplied by however many players play the game... Giving everyone infinite space just wouldn't work.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Veprovina.4876 said:

or have materials that can only stack up to 5 times but you need at least 20 to craft any item that uses the material

ANet has pulled that stunt as well with bloodstone dust, empyreal fragments and dragonite ore. Instead of reducing stack size they just increased the drop quantity which is functionally equivalent since you end up needing 500 per item but default material storage is only 250.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

or have materials that can only stack up to 5 times but you need at least 20 to craft any item that uses the material

ANet has pulled that stunt as well with bloodstone dust, empyreal fragments and dragonite ore. Instead of reducing stack size they just increased the drop quantity which is functionally equivalent since you end up needing 500 per item but default material storage is only 250.

Still, at least Anet gives you tons of converter options so you don't need to keep so many at once. Plus, you can just make bricks out of bloodstone to reduce stacks. Same with Dragonite and Empyreal stuff. But i much perfer the increased drop rates because i can then feed them to my gobblers and get items. And if i don't have enough and need bricks or soemthing, i know i can just play for an hour and get enough to make anything i need.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

WoW has a feature that allows you to assign a specific job for each bag, maybe do something with that?

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:
    WoW has a feature that allows you to assign a specific job for each bag, maybe do something with that?

Which GW2 has bags that can be placed in each slot that have specific functions. Serves the same purpose:

Bag wiki

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Gudradain.3892 said:

You can turn off the bags then, see all inventory as one. Infinite is not a concept for any game.

Personally I have my setup as:
    Multiple normal
    Olmakhan
    Invisible

That way all kitten end up in the normal bags, I go to the olmakhan to open all kitten containers inside containers inside more containers while their content (when not containers) end up in the normal bags. In the invisble bags I got siege, food, etc.

So if I start with empty normal bags, then after say a DS meta has tons in inventory, it just takes a minute to clear it. Deposit, open all containers, salvage all, deposit again, sort inventory, sell garbage. Done. Normal bags cleared. In the olmakhan I also have some stackable items (currency drops etc, start of stacks for maxed out bank stuff), since they dont sort they stay put and dont mess up cleaned normal bags.

Bank management is far more painfull. I got entire characters to stockpile silk. Just piles and piles of silk.

I wish this had been posted where I could see it before.. I really like this @Dawdler.8521

👍

Thank You for the {MEME}

• I do agree that Inventory management in GW2 could be improved in some aspects. It is, however, far from being the worst when comparing with other mmo's.
    There are some features that help a lot:

• one can automatically deposit crafting material with just 1 click (you don´t need to visit a bank)
    • most of the gears now drop in bags that can be stacked up to 250
    • there are special bags assigned to specific functions
  • Any system of inventory management also means people are forced into a specific system. This is allready visible with how people look at special bags. Some love it and some hate it.

I disagree that you need half of your time to sort inventory. For me it is about 5 minutes for each 120 minutes online. I could do a 90% clean up action in 20 seconds if I'm in a hurry.

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭

I will admit, I am mortally tired of bags within bags within bags, which makes inventory clearance very frustrating for me.

Also, GW2 suffers from an issue which many (most? all?) MMO's seem to have. There is just too much stuff, with so many different systems needed to make things and too many ingredients needed to make them. At least GW2 has the wallet, which is more than I can say for a lot of games.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• BunjiKugashira.9754BunjiKugashira.9754 Member ✭✭✭✭

In my opinion inventory management in GW2 is way better than in most other MMOs. First of all you have invisible bags and other bags that automatically sort items. Combined with the fact that the inventory always fills from top to bottom you can make most items sort themselves into the right bags. Then you have sell all junk and deposit all. These two buttons alone make the inventory management so much easier. And lastly most items that you don't need on a regular basis, but you kinda don't want to throw away are accound bound. Meaning you can put them on a storage character to free up some bankspace.

There are only two changes I want:
    1. Sell all event items (obv. this requires all event items to have a vendor value)
    2. Set the rarity of all collection items that have no further use to junk

Bugtracker: Costume Brawl, Sunqua Clouds
    Announcementtracker: Alliances, Legendary Armory

• Gudradain.3892Gudradain.3892 Member ✭✭

Have you looked at Genshin Impact inventory?

I never wasted any minute managing my inventory in that game and then I realized that I didn't have to suffer through all the bag management that standard MMO impose on you.

Bag management is a self created issue that doesn't need to exist.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps those having inventory management issues could post screenshots of their inventory so that they may get advice on how to manage things better.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Perhaps those having inventory management issues could post screenshots of their inventory so that they may get advice on how to manage things better.

The thing is that you shouldn't have to spend any time ever managing your inventory.

• LuRkEr.9462LuRkEr.9462 Member ✭✭

@Gudradain.3892 said:

The thing is that you shouldn't have to spend any time ever managing your inventory.

This isn't really realistic to any MMO or ARPG type game. There will always be some inventory management in games that have drops. Not once have I played this game and thought the inventory management was terrible. Different types of bags organize things automatically, one button to put all mats away, one button to sell all junk, etc.
    Genshin Impact just has sooo much storage you don't really have to manage it until higher levels where you begin to get full.

GW2 does inventory management pretty well, if you have issues you might post a screenshot of your inventory. We can probably point out the mistakes (which is usually hoarding)

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gudradain.3892 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

I am interested in what system you would propose to reduce inventory management to zero, other than by removing inventory completely. Not snarky, genuinely interested, as that's way out of the box thinking. (So to speak). Direct unlocks to gear template dropdowns, consumable dropdowns, etc? How do you design the UI to let the player easily find the exact option they want? Do you get rid of the variety of food items available, or make someone scroll through a list of 100 things to pick the one they like for the immediate need?

I'm generally happy with GW2's inventory system, but I get some zen enjoyment out of moving items into patterns that make sense to me, and once the wardrobe system came in I was able to (eventually) make myself dump all the space-grabbing alternate armor looks I had for rp purposes. So I usually have enough room for stuff, with just a bit of that zen time used. I also like ESO's version, at least with the Advanced Filters mod that separates all the categories into sub-sections so I can quickly zoom down to short lists of just heavy armor, just food, just drink, just jewelry, etc. Basically anything that lets me file items in very specific areas for later finding.

edited 7:35PM

@Donari.5237 said:
    I am interested in what system you would propose to reduce inventory management to zero, other than by removing inventory completely. Not snarky, genuinely interested, as that's way out of the box thinking. (So to speak).

A complete system is too complicated to design in a few minutes but here are some ideas

1. For starters, bank and inventory should be combined and shared between all characters. This would eliminate a big chunk of the problems like "how to switch items between characters" or "finding on which character you put a specific items". It would also make things like "deposit all materials" uneeded because materials should automatically go into the sorted categories like we have in the bank.

2. Stacks should be unlimited in size or at least very very big. It doesn't take more database space to store 1 Iron Ore vs 1000 Iron Ore. The way database store data, the 2 takes exactly the same space on a computer disk.

3. There should not be bags within bags within bags. Like ever. Loot should be directly the loot not a loot container that you need to open.

4. Loot should be automatically sorted by category: weapons, armor, materials, consumable, quest items, collectibles.

There are many more things that could be done to improve the inventory management experience.

I would prefer Anet spend their resources on other things.

Very.
    Casual.

@kharmin.7683 said:

than creating multiple sort/size of bags and selling you things to fix inventory problems? :)

@Gudradain.3892 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

than creating multiple sort/size of bags and selling you things to fix inventory problems? :)

Yes. There are many bugs and other game-play centric things that I would prefer to see fixed instead of an inventory control adjustment which, IMO, isn't critical. /shrug

Very.
    Casual.