Just a story of an almost returning player

Menyus.4610

So i used to play this game a lot(think i have around 5k+ hours.) I'm a thief main so the majority of the playtime is for thief (around 3.5-4k)

So since HoT where everything started to go downhill (balance wise), i used to play less and less. Then i uninstalled Gw2 and usually installed it for a month then deleted it again. This repeated for the past 2 years. Then today i listened to some wonderful Jeremy Soul music and had the idea that "damn i should install Gw2". So i started to download it and while downloading i checked the forums where i met with the following sentence.

"Infiltrator's Arrow: Increased initiative cost from 6 to 8 in PvP and WvW."

Like literally, how incompetent the balance team is. I instantly stopped downloading and rather downloaded another MMO.

There is literally no value in this post just wanted to say that i'm extremely disappointed out of pure anger. It feels like to Anet is purposefully killing this game. I know this post chnages nothing and prolly there are hundreds of angry thief players but imagine that u are loosing veteran players before even downloading the game.

@"Menyus.4610" said:So i used to play this game a lot(think i have around 5k+ hours.) I'm a thief main so the majority of the playtime is for thief (around 3.5-4k)

So since HoT where everything started to go downhill (balance wise), i used to play less and less. Then i uninstalled Gw2 and usually installed it for a month then deleted it again. This repeated for the past 2 years. Then today i listened to some wonderful Jeremy Soul music and had the idea that "kitten i should install Gw2". So i started to download it and while downloading i checked the forums where i met with the following sentence.

"Infiltrator's Arrow: Increased initiative cost from 6 to 8 in PvP and WvW."

Like literally, how incompetent the balance team is. I instantly stopped downloading and rather downloaded another MMO.

There is literally no value in this post just wanted to say that i'm extremely disappointed out of pure anger. It feels like to Anet is purposefully killing this game. I know this post chnages nothing and prolly there are hundreds of angry thief players but imagine that u are loosing veteran players before even downloading the game.

I'm on the same boat. Been playing less and less since HoT days for the same reasons (im Thief main). Been constantly checking forums for the past few years and i couldnt believe my eyes how Anet is just destroying their own game. Well the heck. I decided to come back anyway. Forced myself to play but after like a month i just moved on to other games again. Oh i also forced myself to play Guardian (but like usual.. i just logged back in Thief cuz its the only class i enjoy really). So.. i guess there's tons of players who used to main Thief or even Mesmers (thats my fave too) who quitted the game for same balance reasons. At this point i just login to do dailies and log out. Some time ago i used to be hopeful that Anet will pull their stuff together but now i'm thinkin it's not possible. It's like they've been destroying their own game.. I'm baffled by such business "strategy" and their decisions/development.... Their strategy is to destroy the game and abandon true fans of the game? I thought companies are supposed to lure you in and get you hooked.. but sadly it doesn't feel that way anymore. WvW/PvP is a joke these days. PvE..well.. PvE is just PvE. It won't hold your attention for long.

I couldn't agree more, and I don't understand why so many old time players are keeping their heads in the sand about this issue, defending the game and blaming the noob for not spending half a decade studying mobs (seriously, it's ridiculous). Anet is killing the game and making it really really difficult for new players to get hooked. I think they know this, since the "free version" of the game is so beautiful, and then you pay the money and meet this incredible grind-fest and insanely absurd difficulties that I believe only an age-long player with an extremely meticulously curated bunch of characters would enjoy (maybe Anet is not interested in new players?). This is the reason I'm not buying whatever upcoming crap they come up with. It'll just be a cool story (that I can watch on youtube instead of spending dozens of hours trying to get from point A to point B in a map or story) with an insane amount of gimmicks. It's not friendly for a casual player, like, at all, and that is not going to improve, ever, from what I can see.

@"atrimentalis.5302" said:I couldn't agree more, and I don't understand why so many old time players are keeping their heads in the sand about this issue, defending the game and blaming the noob for not spending half a decade studying mobs (seriously, it's ridiculous). Anet is killing the game and making it really really difficult for new players to get hooked. I think they know this, since the "free version" of the game is so beautiful, and then you pay the money and meet this incredible grind-fest and insanely absurd difficulties that I believe only an age-long player with an extremely meticulously curated bunch of characters would enjoy (maybe Anet is not interested in new players?). This is the reason I'm not buying whatever upcoming kitten they come up with. It'll just be a cool story (that I can watch on youtube instead of spending dozens of hours trying to get from point A to point B in a map or story) with an insane amount of gimmicks. It's not friendly for a casual player, like, at all, and that is not going to improve, ever, from what I can see.

Are you talking about PVE or PVP?

In PVE Anet has been streamlining and making content more forgiving for new players and small groups pretty aggressively.

In PVP that's to be expected. You should have a solid grasp of your character's movement and skillset before expecting anything to go your way in pvp.

meet this incredible grind-fest and insanely absurd difficulties that I believe only an age-long player with an extremely meticulously curated bunch of characters would enjoy

Definitely can see this happening though if you're talking about pve. Usually having a leveling/party buddy fixes that. If you decide to stick around, send me a mail in game and I can drop in to lend you a hand here and there.

You basically told my story lol, even down to the game time. My only problem is that PvP in all the other mmos suck as well.Really hope 2021 will be a better year for competitive mmos, maybe New World brings some enjoyment.. or heck even Bless Unleashed..

It's really sad to see nobody in the industry giving a fuck about a good, structured, small scale pvp game mode..It either gets destroyed by clunky movement/combat system or by carrying over PvE stat stuff (gear, buff food, ... ) into the game mode. Or balance with only one playable mode where you can't even queue up with friends..Guild Wars 2 tought me a thing or two tho.. that is to not waste money in MMOs anymore since they can fuck up the entire game with a single patch and that's it. Another one is to just look at how good the PvP system is and you can basically conclude the rest of the game (at least I can since I'm mainly interested in PvP-only, PvE is only a bonus for added diversity)