New binding mechanic idea.

We all know what unbound, soulbound and account bound do.

But how would you like a new one?

Here's the gist of it.

What if we could make account bound items like, ascended, some crafted exotics, etc., but excluding account bound items you get from story events - mailable?But with a tradeoff!

Any item that you got from story that can't be sold or salvaged, can't be made into this new mailable binding. Let's call it phased, i don't know... Only account bound items you bought (like LW3 stuff), got as a drop or crafted. So no reward or achievement items like Caladbolg or Gen2 legendaries.

You would have to go to Myani or someone and spend some spirit shards and obsidian, or some other form of currency appropriate for this to make the items phased. It can't be free, it needs a sink but NOT mystic coins.

Once the item is phased, and no longer account bound, it cannot be salvaged anymore or sold or anything except used as is and that means no mystic forge stat changes for ascended. The only thing you can do with a phased item is mail it to someone, basically giving away your accountbound items to someone elses account. They can then just use it, they can't salvage it or sell it. Slotting runes and infusions in would still work as expected.

I think it would be a great way for people to potentially help their friends with gear or something, or just for generousity's sake. Or even to move items to alt accounts to gear your other account. Making the item just usable as equipment would have no impact on the economy and can't be abused by mailing someone then salvaging or whatever. The purpose would only be to move gear around.

What do you think, would you like to have this as an option?

And if not, why not? Do you think it would affect something negatively?Would you do something simmilar? Is there something i didn't think of why this shouldn't exist?Vote and explain! :smile:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Would the person receiving it be able to stat change it?

Edit add: also, I wouldn’t allow it to go to free to play accounts.

Well i wrote no stat changes because stat changes destroy the item and a new account bound item is recieved. So it would circumvent the binding mechanic, making it salvageable again. But if Anet makes the newly stat changed item the same binding as it was, and non salvageable, then by all means, would be great if you could stat change them.

And yes, agreed, i also wouldn't allow this on free accounts.

@"kharmin.7683" said:I don't agree with the idea. If players want rewards, then they should play the game. /shrug

This would also just help alt accounts of people who did play the game a lot, and just don't have as much stuff on the alt like they do on their main. So in essence, they already got the rewards, they worked for it once, but can't do anything with them.But i also understand your point as well. :smile:

EDIT: That's also why i suggested a currency sink for the account bound to change the binding. So that it's not just freely movable around, if you want to give it to a friend that "didn't earn it", you have to pay for it. Maybe there could be a way for the friend, or alt account to have some input on this as well, like needing to craft something, or buy an item from a vendor that allows them to recieve an item. But i don't know how that would work, there's currently no system in the game that would be able to track that. There's definitely room for improvement on the idea though!

No. That actually would bypass the intended way of obtaining those items. Cause by mailing players could just "buy" them from someone else. (Which also could lead to more scamming cause this isn't a supported way to buy stuff. The only supported way is the TP.)

There is already enough stuff to help friends with. Considering you can do most of the content with exotics only. And certain stuff to craft ascended things is sellable at the TP. (Deldrimor ingots and stuff.)

Nope. Bad idea. If you want to make it so that it is easier to help friends and new players get stuff that is account bound on acquire, I would rather see a crafting commission contract implemented where two players enter into a contract to craft an item for a set crafting fee and where both players could optionally contribute materials to the contract. Account bound on acquire items would be craftable under the contract. So I could make a exotic celestial stat pistol for another player under a commission contract. And make it so F2P accounts cannot participate in the contracts. Oh, and I'd probably only let the contracts be good for Exotic and lower items.

Realistically, my idea isn't going to happen - it is just too much work for too little return and it would also pump more gold into the game rather than take gold out. And more gold in the economy is not what we need right now.

@"Luthan.5236" said:No. That actually would bypass the intended way of obtaining those items. Cause by mailing players could just "buy" them from someone else. (Which also could lead to more scamming cause this isn't a supported way to buy stuff. The only supported way is the TP.)

There is already enough stuff to help friends with. Considering you can do most of the content with exotics only. And certain stuff to craft ascended things is sellable at the TP. (Deldrimor ingots and stuff.)

Ah yes! That's a very good point, i can see people scamming a lot with that system.But, do you think there's a way to make the system safe? To prevent scams somehow?

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Nope. Bad idea. If you want to make it so that it is easier to help friends and new players get stuff that is account bound on acquire, I would rather see a crafting commission contract implemented where two players enter into a contract to craft an item for a set crafting fee and where both players could optionally contribute materials to the contract. Account bound on acquire items would be craftable under the contract. So I could make a exotic celestial stat pistol for another player under a commission contract. And make it so F2P accounts cannot participate in the contracts. Oh, and I'd probably only let the contracts be good for Exotic and lower items.

Realistically, my idea isn't going to happen - it is just too much work for too little return and it would also pump more gold into the game rather than take gold out. And more gold in the economy is not what we need right now.

That's basically the same idea though. :smile: At least on surface, yours is probably less scammable but more exploitable from what i can tell. With that system do both players need to contribute or can one just do all, and then both get the benefit? If so, it's basically the same except both get the item that can be salvaged. And if you can contribute gold to the contract, that could be used for unofficial trading, though, even mats could be traded that way., and i'm not sure how, but i think that woudl be exploited somehow. Maybe... I don't know. I like the idea though, but both of ours need some kind of safeguard against scammers and exploiting added. :tongue:

But yeah, neither of our ideas are likely to happen, it's just an idea i had and thought i'd share.

The whole concept of the trading post, I thought, was to make scamming almost impossible? This latest idea circumvents that protection, no? While I know that trading does happen outside of the system, I'm not sure that Anet would want to start down this particular path. What's in it for them other than a possible influx of support tickets?

What need does your suggestion fulfill?

If we rule out Ascended and Legendary gear, and assume any gear being traded would not have Runes, Sigils, Infusions or Enhancements in them, nor will the Skin be transferred. That leaves Exotics and lower.

You mentioned a cost for making this change, what would the cost threshold be? I ask as it is pretty easy to just send someone a few gold to buy gear, which is what I do when helping new friends out. Alternately I help them grind out some Karma and go get the exotic karma armor from Orr.

So what problem does your suggestion resolve? What QoL improvement does this provide the player?

@kharmin.7683 said:The whole concept of the trading post, I thought, was to make scamming almost impossible? This latest idea circumvents that protection, no? While I know that trading does happen outside of the system, I'm not sure that Anet would want to start down this particular path. What's in it for them other than a possible influx of support tickets?

Well, they could potentially monetize it? That would maybe avoid most of the scamming issues. And as you said, there's already trading outside of TP so this is nothing new to them. But i do agree that there would need to be a safeguard. But what's in it for them is another potential sink for currency. It could cost gold to convert to phased, then you have another gold sink that takes the gold away from the economy.

@"Mungo Zen.9364" said:What need does your suggestion fulfill?

If we rule out Ascended and Legendary gear, and assume any gear being traded would not have Runes, Sigils, Infusions or Enhancements in them, nor will the Skin be transferred. That leaves Exotics and lower.

You mentioned a cost for making this change, what would the cost threshold be? I ask as it is pretty easy to just send someone a few gold to buy gear, which is what I do when helping new friends out. Alternately I help them grind out some Karma and go get the exotic karma armor from Orr.

So what problem does your suggestion resolve? What QoL improvement does this provide the player?

We don't rule out ascended gear, i specifically said dropped or craftable ascended would be made mailable by this. So you can craft ascended items on your main and send it to your alt account for your alts to use (other account characters), or you can send it to your friends or whatever. I also said sigils, runes and infusions would work as they do now meaning you can send yourself or your friend an ascended bakcpack, and you or they can put infusions in it. Or runes in armor, sigils in weapons. Or buy trinkets with fractal currency or laurels or LW3 stuff, then convert then send them over.

The only thing they couldn't do is stat change because that destroys the item and gives an account bound, and can't salvage or sell. They can just use it on their characters.

As for the cost threshold... I don't know, but i do know it would need a sink of some kind to be worth implementing at all. Maybe a gold sink, to take away gold from the economy further.

So you're equating this to just "some exotics". I'm aware exotics are cheap and easy, that's why i specifically also added ascended.

Also, i'm not married to the idea lol, i just wanted to see what people think. :smile:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Nope. Bad idea. If you want to make it so that it is easier to help friends and new players get stuff that is account bound on acquire, I would rather see a crafting commission contract implemented where two players enter into a contract to craft an item for a set crafting fee and where both players could optionally contribute materials to the contract. Account bound on acquire items would be craftable under the contract. So I could make a exotic celestial stat pistol for another player under a commission contract. And make it so F2P accounts cannot participate in the contracts. Oh, and I'd probably only let the contracts be good for Exotic and lower items.

That's basically the same idea though. :smile: At least on surface, yours is probably less scammable but more exploitable from what i can tell. With that system do both players need to contribute or can one just do all, and then both get the benefit? If so, it's basically the same except both get the item that can be salvaged. And if you can contribute gold to the contract, that could be used for unofficial trading, though, even mats could be traded that way., and i'm not sure how, but i think that woudl be exploited somehow. Maybe... I don't know. I like the idea though, but both of ours need some kind of safeguard against scammers and exploiting added. :tongue:

But yeah, neither of our ideas are likely to happen, it's just an idea i had and thought i'd share.

Um, no, I think you've misunderstood my idea a little - and this is moot after today's update - but, the idea was that I want some account bound item, say a celestial pistol (and again, yeah, this is moot after today's update), but I can't craft a celestial pistol. So I buy a 'crafting commission contract' and find someone that can craft that pistol for me that will 'sign on' to the contract as the crafter. They craft the item, put the item into the contract, and, as soon as they do, they receive the flat fee associated with the contract. And the item would become account bound to me as soon as I pulled it out of the contract. To me, you could run it as either I provide all the materials to make the item and or you could set the contract up so that both parties could donate material to the contract. While I'm sure there could be a way to scam it, neither party gets their part until both parties have done their part.

But, again, after today's update, account binding on a ton of exotic stat equipment is no more, so all this is now a pointless intellectual exercise.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:

Um, no, I think you've misunderstood my idea a little - and this is moot after today's update - but, the idea was that I want some account bound item, say a celestial pistol (and again, yeah, this is moot after today's update), but I can't craft a celestial pistol. So I buy a 'crafting commission contract' and find someone that can craft that pistol for me that will 'sign on' to the contract as the crafter. They craft the item, put the item into the contract, and, as soon as they do, they receive the flat fee associated with the contract. And the item would become account bound to me as soon as I pulled it out of the contract. To me, you could run it as either I provide all the materials to make the item and or you could set the contract up so that both parties could donate material to the contract. While I'm sure there could be a way to scam it, neither party gets their part until both parties have done their part.

But, again, after today's update, account binding on a ton of exotic stat equipment is no more, so all this is now a pointless intellectual exercise.

Ah yes, i misunderstood it, thanks for explaining.But hey! You got your your wish today! That's a rare thing, no? :smile:

Making items mailable without putting them into the tp opens the game up for all kinds of scams. People WILL try to buy the items and people WILL get scammed in the process of doing so. The only way around this would be to allow players to sell these ascended items on the tp.

Imo ascended equipment should require some amount of work, even if it's just following a crafting guide or farming ls currencies. If you want to support someone getting their first ascended set, you can already support them by sending mats or offering a well equipped home instance for harvesting.

Seems very convoluted for at best a minor benefit IF we omit and completely ignore the repercussions to the games economy as well player goals to work towards. If we factor for those, I see this as mostly a detriment to the game.

The current itemization and design is already very complex and difficult for new players to get to understand without a ton of outside reading (as well as understanding what is all possible).

I don't consider ideas for primarily alt accounts a top priority. When players create alt accounts they already have:

• a main account they can use to help the alt account out,
  • hopefully a lot of general knowledge of how to efficiently and fast achieve goals on their alt account
  • potentially a social structure or community in game (guilds, friends, etc) to help them out
  • all the benefits that come from an alt account (dailies, login rewards, etc.)

there is no reason to help out here in any way at the moment.