Best NA Server for WvW PUGs? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

Best NA Server for WvW PUGs?

Hi all!

I'm looking to transfer from EU to NA and am looking for a server with a healthy public community, namely:
1. Frequently has skilled commanders that enjoy leading PUG groups
2. Players are generally skilled enough so that fights are often enjoyable, come on voice chat, and follow commands instead of scattering like a swarm of pewpewing locusts
3. I'm most after the fights but I don't want an extreme imbalance between PPT/fights

I don't mind there being lots of guilds as long as 1-3 are there (anyway, it seem like its often guild members who lead) but I don't have the schedule to allow joining a hardcore guild at the moment.

Would greatly appreciate any recommendations, thanks!

<13

Comments

• Demon Puppet.6873Demon Puppet.6873 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021

SBI has Indo who tags very often and is organized. FA has Novahh/Jayy who run a guild called Elite Apes[eA] they tag up and run very strictly comped. Both are great options for NA pugging

Edit: Novahh usually runs more late NA while Indo will run 8 hours a day

• @Demon Puppet.6873 said:
    SBI has Indo who tags very often and is organized. FA has Novahh/Jayy who run a guild called Elite Apes[eA] they tag up and run very strictly comped. Both are great options for NA pugging

Edit: Novahh usually runs more late NA while Indo will run 8 hours a day

I think FA is full at the moment sadly. I too am looking for an active WvW world like OP. I believe SBI is "Very High".
    GoM seems high on the tier list but is Medium population. How is that? :open_mouth:

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

im in SoS since begin, i find it good.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• PrinceValentine.9320PrinceValentine.9320 Member ✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021

SoS has the best pugs I've ever seen in WvW and they don't require people to be on discord. BG is even dodging this pug squad now. Kudos to the pugmander Claire!!!

• Ruthless.6521Ruthless.6521 Member
    edited January 22, 2021

from the other side: you might want to avoid SoS seeing as they miss the mark on points 2 and 3

• Bristingr.5034Bristingr.5034 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021

Tarnished Coast is generally the "go-to" server for Pugs. Hell, the pugs generally carry the server.

There are frequently Pugmanders in the server, a decent number that can herd them up in EBG/etc. into voice comms or just be good with typemanding if needed.

edited January 22, 2021

@Ruthless.6521 said:
    from the other side: you might want to avoid SoS seeing as they miss the mark on points 2 and 3

I believe only BG people will say that. They will only say that it's a fair fight as long as they outnumber their enemies. They wouldn't even think of coming out of their spawn when an enemy server has the same size of a blob, pretty much like Mag. Just saying. :P

• @PrinceValentine.9320 said:
    SoS has the best pugs I've ever seen in WvW and they don't require people to be on discord. BG is even dodging this pug squad now. Kudos to the pugmander Claire!!!

That ele guy is great to fight with too.. hard to keep up with sometimes heh

edited January 23, 2021

@displayname.8315 said:

@PrinceValentine.9320 said:

I think it's a she. She's really good in commanding pugs. i haven't seen her lose her cool, very patient towards her pugs. if a fight is lost, she makes sure her pugs don't lose morale and gives pointers on how to do better next time, very good on strategizing the movement of the squad from one map to another. well respected on the server. i love playing my firebrand when i am on her squad. Tbh, i prefer to be in her squad rather than to be on other organized squads on discord with their commanders yelling and cursing like it's everyone's fault but him when a fight is lost.

PS. I don't get it why people are still commanding on Chronos and demand this and that and when they get focused, they scream like a madman not expecting to get downed on such a class that has very poor cleansing and stability.

• QuickRain.4735QuickRain.4735 Member ✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021

I'm not normally one for Banter, But SoS for NA is one of the worst for pugs and stuff...SBI/TC/AR for pugging for sure. As I'm from SBI i can say there is quite a few people who pugmand, or at least a small group to run with on EBG.... [OP} has three with Indo/Tiff/Bestplayaever who runs across all timezones. You have the [DETH] and [EK] pugmanding sometimes. A small [Poor} group running the map during early NA lead by Finrar i think his name is. You have [Ham] and {End] I believe now During off hours sorry I don't know there exact timezone for them. You also have myself [AoEs] floating inbetween Late Eu and early NA at times. Not to mention the random people who tag here and there. Oh and [Sin] led by Sit and Rub during early NA.

The reason I put AR up is because they have pugmanders as far as I can who fight and PPT and will actually have TRUE pugsquad and not have a 30-40 Guild group stacked with a map q of pugs. As for TC they seem to have a few groups running across timezones nothing crazy big or two small so I'm making a guess on this one but to me seems pretty balanced.

Personal opinion obviously based on fighting them.

BG: Already 2 fat so denied
    DB: You wanna win fights I'm assuming?
    FA: Top 4 for pugging
    SBI: Top 4 for pugging
    TC: Top 4 for pugging
    AR: Top 4 for pugging
    Mag: Just a cloud
    HoD: Seems ok just low population, not many pugmanders
    CD: Like RangerS and thieveS?
    SoS: Other then [VR] [EP] subpar maybe 5th for pugging

• Coelho Nat.4697Coelho Nat.4697 Member ✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021

I created a 2nd account on SoS about 2 years ago. If you are able to play on SEA/OCX, it is really a good server for pugs.
    There are at least 2 good and friendly commanders. No toxicity on team chat. No stress, just play for fun.
    It is completely different from another server which I have paired with on my 1st account about 1 month ago; I turned off the team chat for 2 months.

• @anonymous.7812 said:
    I've only ever seen SoS win fights on SEA/OCX when most every other server has 10 players online. If you're looking for NA pugmanders, avoid SoS like the plague. If you're into grossly outnumbering people on SEA/OCX, and fighting a lot of doors, yeah SoS is probably fine.

Not BG player btw.

There are times when its just the usual PPT group flipping/preparing ect.. In T1 tho its not just a SoS timezone and can be some nice big fights. Yeah alot of the pugs are still just tourists from PvE, but you only really need a few of the frontline to be pro to get things heated up.

• @QuickRain.4735 said:

Have accounts on FA and mag..

Maybe FA has a nice sweetspot timezone but it's not that active whenever i check. Lotta PvE pugs there too..
    Mag is my go to for PvP in WvW. Just plain fun if there's a few peeps online.
    SoS the main account, landed there from relink's and there's nowhere better to invest gems in right now on NA that's open.

edited January 23, 2021

@displayname.8315 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

Have accounts on FA and mag..

Maybe FA has a nice sweetspot timezone but it's not that active whenever i check. Lotta PvE pugs there too..
    Mag is my go to for PvP in WvW. Just plain fun if there's a few peeps online.
    SoS the main account, landed there from relink's and there's nowhere better to invest gems in right now on NA that's open.

I mean all i have to do is look at the wvw activity for stats, covering ALL servers SoS is ranked 20+ for kills /kdr/activity the only things they are high in is PPT
    https://wvwstats.com/leaderboard.... I really think this speaks for itself on when the OP ask for a server that's balanced in PPT/Fights.

I'm not saying AR/SBI?FA are better at all community wise...As I heard SoS community is pretty friendly... But according to the OP requirements for balance I don't think they want a heavily focused PPT server.

As for FA they are hugely active but they have Pug tags that I could see, and that precisely what the OP asked not to mention they are in the middle of the pack for everything.

As for Mag lets be honest they aren't exactly the most most "friendly" bunch. But hey if you like sitting in SMC all day Mag is the one for you

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭

@QuickRain.4735 said:

As for Mag lets be honest they aren't exactly the most most "friendly" bunch. But hey if you like sitting in SMC all day Mag is the one for you

The steady stream of tears have a promotion quality all it's own

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• @LetoII.3782 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

The steady stream of tears have a promotion quality all it's own

I mean that's a very good point lol

• jpsssss.7530jpsssss.7530 Member ✭✭✭

Fergusson's Crossing is pretty good. Most of the bigger guilds seem pretty chill. Though sometimes the guilds that are running are match-up dependent

• @QuickRain.4735 said:

I mean all i have to do is look at the wvw activity for stats, covering ALL servers SoS is ranked 20+ for kills /kdr/activity the only things they are high in is PPT
    https://wvwstats.com/leaderboard.... I really think this speaks for itself on when the OP ask for a server that's balanced in PPT/Fights.

I'm not saying AR/SBI?FA are better at all community wise...As I heard SoS community is pretty friendly... But according to the OP requirements for balance I don't think they want a heavily focused PPT server.

NA is spotty altogether. Going by stats isn't fully representative either. One server gets high stats/ PPT until their deadzone then another server comes in with full map queues and farms all afternoon and evening..

Hence the 3 accounts needed for NA.

• @QuickRain.4735 said:

I paired with Mag once. Although there are friendly players/commanders, it is the most toxic server I have played. Need to turn off the team chat.

• @Coelho Nat.4697 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

I paired with Mag once. Although there are friendly players/commanders, it is the most toxic server I have played. Need to turn off the team chat.

Bunch of kittens

• artsnletters.6314artsnletters.6314 Member ✭✭
    edited January 24, 2021

Perceptions and opinions of servers never fail to amuse me. BG, for the most part, doesn't take it all very seriously. Mag is the same way, mostly just fun. But I never met a spawn camp I didn't like. A lot of people don't "get it" how some servers are more into fights and kills, and those are the ones with more veteran players, in my experience. Annnd that one commander that BG is accused of "dodging" does a kind of 'dingdongditch' where he hits an objective then as soon as he knows the enemy squad is on map to respond, ports to another map. BORING. Coincidentally, the time we all went off line we were able to catch him before he knew we were there sooo... Yep. Anyhoo, to the guy who started this thread: try a link server for a bit to get a feel for different places, and it's usually cheaper gem-wise. For host, HoD has a lot of super nice people. New links will be posted this Friday so you can transfer before reset.

• hunkamania.7561hunkamania.7561 Member ✭✭✭✭

@displayname.8315 said:

I think it's a she. She's really good in commanding pugs. i haven't seen her lose her cool, very patient towards her pugs. if a fight is lost, she makes sure her pugs don't lose morale and gives pointers on how to do better next time, very good on strategizing the movement of the squad from one map to another. well respected on the server. i love playing my firebrand when i am on her squad. Tbh, i prefer to be in her squad rather than to be on other organized squads on discord with their commanders yelling and cursing like it's everyone's fault but him when a fight is lost.

PS. I don't get it why people are still commanding on Chronos and demand this and that and when they get focused, they scream like a madman not expecting to get downed on such a class that has very poor cleansing and stability.

Nah, that ele gets farmed and gives the enemy UD. The only bags that ele commander can get are the champ bags hahaha.

Aurora Glade Server Leader

[VR] Violent Resolution - SoS

edited January 25, 2021

Nah, that ele gets farmed and gives the enemy UD. The only bags that ele commander can get are the champ bags hahaha.

Jealous much? You can't get people to follow your tag? You have to make your guild respectable enough for people to follow you. ;)

Jealous much? You can't get people to follow your tag? You have to make your guild respectable enough for people to follow you. ;)

SMH doesnt even know who hunk is

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭

HUNK SMASH

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• @QuickRain.4735 said:

Why do people need to know? Lol. Your sense of self-importance is amazing.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@QuickRain.4735 said:

But wait.. you obviously know?

So.. you know speak like you know @hunkamania.7561 yet you also state you don’t?

I guess I would ask which is it?

Thank You for the {MEME}

edited January 26, 2021

@QuickRain.4735 said:

Nothing to do with self- importance...It just Hunk has been around for an incredibly long time. Those type of people you kind a just notice if they are active like he is. Not to mention, the guild he is in I much rather follow then this "Ele Commander". As they could provide me actual bags then being a bag. The only groups I have to be aware on SoS is VR and EP, everything else is a /shrug. Much Love to Hunk/Bloodie with VR and still have mad respect for them over the past 5 years.

Also, I mainly meant it as a joke... No needs to know...
    But speaking for myself...I like knowing who I've fought and like knowing my "enemies." Why? Because they are people too... Hunk might've been a maggie at one point but the dude is a legit. Chaba is pretty cool herself even if she was from FA. Leto little roaming group was annoying at times but they are friendly people.

• That ele commander engages in combat and has personal skill.. that makes him/her better than most doritos. Considering that heshe leads a bunch of PvE farmers I'm very impressed.

edited February 2, 2021

@QuickRain.4735 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

Nothing to do with self- importance...It just Hunk has been around for an incredibly long time. Those type of people you kind a just notice if they are active like he is. Not to mention, the guild he is in I much rather follow then this "Ele Commander". As they could provide me actual bags then being a bag. The only groups I have to be aware on SoS is VR and EP, everything else is a /shrug. Much Love to Hunk/Bloodie with VR and still have mad respect for them over the past 5 years.

But speaking for myself...I like knowing who I've fought and like knowing my "enemies." Why? Because they are people too... Hunk might've been a maggie at one point but the dude is a legit. Chaba is pretty cool herself even if she was from FA. Leto little roaming group was annoying at times but they are friendly people.

Oh yeah? Guess what squad brought SoS to 1st now on VP on Tier 1. Do you guys even command pugs or you're just so used to running with your guildies? People will not follow you if you're not popular. You're not popular enough for me to know you and I've been playing with SoS for some months now. I don't think anyone from your guild can even get the same number of followers that this ele commander is constantly getting, to follow you.

• SniffyCube.6107SniffyCube.6107 Member ✭✭
    edited February 3, 2021

VR is a top tier guild that has been around for ages. Not sure if you're memeing or if you genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. There's a complexity to WvW including builds, comps, synergies, and things that drivers do that many people that "pug" behind a typemander will never grasp. If you really want to learn and see how deep this goes then join a WvW guild.

Also, commanding on an ele... why?

@QuickRain.4735 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

Oh yeah? Guess what squad brought SoS to 1st now on VP on Tier 1. Do you guys even command pugs or you're just so used to running with your guildies? People will not follow you if you're not popular. You're not popular enough for me to know you and I've been playing with SoS for some months now. I don't think anyone from your guild can even get the same number of followers that this ele commander is constantly getting, to follow you.

Adorable.......

• @SniffyCube.6107 said:

VR is a top tier guild that has been around for ages. Not sure if you're memeing or if you genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. There's a complexity to WvW including builds, comps, synergies, and things that drivers do that many people that "pug" behind a typemander will never grasp. If you really want to learn and see how deep this goes then join a WvW guild.

Hes not memeing just clueless....Also hello friend hows TBT treating you

• @QuickRain.4735 said:

pretty good! just vibing and getting loot bags / trying to shake the rust off

• @SniffyCube.6107 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

pretty good! just vibing and getting loot bags / trying to shake the rust off

Will send oil! hopefully that helps!

• kash.9213kash.9213 Member ✭✭✭✭

@SniffyCube.6107 said:

Type it up and help people out.

Northern Shiverpeaks [EL] & [SD]

edited February 3, 2021

@Ronin.4501 said:

Quickrain's not on SoS so I guess the joke's on you? Or maybe you're just a joke? For someone accusing another of being too self-important, maybe you should try being a little more self-aware?? A lot of veteran commanders pay attention to other commanders who aren't on their server. Clearly this doesn't apply to you.

Anything you say is not gonna change the fact that SoS is 1st now on Victory Points and that ele commander made that possible. I just came back to gw2 after a few years of hiatus and I used to command on Devona's Rest during pre-HoT and PoF. Pug commanding is so much different than commanding an organized squad with voice comms. OP here is asking which server has the best pugs and I answered SoS because that's what I have observed so far.

You guys saying that SoS only wins fight when they outnumber the enemies. We are fighting Blackgate, I don't think you are even paying attention. How do you even outnumber such a huge server with a lot of bandwagoners? I will let you save your ego if you want to think that SoS pugs are just mindlessly zerging. Go ahead. Thank you.

• @kash.9213 said:

@SniffyCube.6107 said:

1 + 2 = 3

Well it really depends on what your looking for.....

Builds: Could be talked about for ages with no "real" right or wrong answer
    Putting it simply would be: Guard: Support/Damage Necro: Damage Rev: Damage Ele: Immob Support Warrior: Damage/Support Mesmer: Strips Support Engi: Support Ranger: Immob Support Thief: Hopfully camping a camp or sentry

Comps: Power, Condi, Support, CC, Frontline, Backline/Kite

Synergies: Putting it simply things that work well together

I'm to lazy to type out everything and maybe someone will do it... but here's a basic idea. The only thing i really find funny about it is those who "want to win" but refuse to work together with those nearby. That all aside pugging is pugging just accept it. (Referring to pugging in general)

@QuickRain.4735 said:

@kash.9213 said:

@SniffyCube.6107 said:

1 + 2 = 3

Putting it simply would be: Guard: Support/Damage Necro: Damage Rev: Damage Ele: Immob Support Warrior: Damage/Support Mesmer: Strips Support Engi: Support Ranger: Immob Support Thief: Hopfully camping a camp or sentry

I'm to lazy to type out everything and maybe someone will do it... but here's a basic idea. The only thing i really find funny about it is those who "want to win" but refuse to work together with those nearby. That all aside pugging is pugging just accept it. (Referring to pugging in general)

Vague af. Guess that's a no. Or it's not as complex as you made it sound.

• SniffyCube.6107SniffyCube.6107 Member ✭✭
    edited February 3, 2021

@kash.9213 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

@kash.9213 said:

@SniffyCube.6107 said:

1 + 2 = 3

https://gw2mists.com/blog/arma-wvw-guide here's a good start. Good luck learning the ropes and I hope to see you around in WvW! Remember, it can be pretty intimidating at first (esp for a new player), but you'll get the hang of it. Keep at it !

edited February 3, 2021

@kash.9213 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

@kash.9213 said:

@SniffyCube.6107 said:

1 + 2 = 3

Yes that's what I said... but here

For example....VR pre-nerf was running Runes of Geomancer or something that summoned golems that absorbed upwards to 50k worth of damage....While other guilds are for Guardians for example are running things like Durability, Water, Monk etc..... based on what they believe fits there style of play more. Things like warrior can be played as support or damage based on what the guild wants or need. Shouts for cleanses or barrier. Maybe a Winds or or a banner etc... or they can play damage Spellbreaker or Berserker. The rune choices vary although the armor is probs Minstrel.
    Guardians can and are played in 2 many ways based on what a guild is looking for for example aW is a condi heavy guild running 1 mins guard 1 trailblazers guard 1 Engi etc.. while another guild might be running 1 mins guard 1 engi and 1 DHwpower guard and want to abuse traps.

Again I'm 2 lazy to type EVERYTHING out but if your looking for more concert details, maybe someone else will be more willings to talk it up

edited February 3, 2021

@SniffyCube.6107 said:

@kash.9213 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

@kash.9213 said:

@SniffyCube.6107 said:

1 + 2 = 3

https://gw2mists.com/blog/arma-wvw-guide here's a good start. Good luck learning the ropes and I hope to see you around in WvW! Remember, it can be pretty intimidating at first (esp for a new player), but you'll get the hang of it. Keep at it !

That's just a bunch of common sense stuff people hear a lot already.
    "There's a complexity to WvW including builds, comps, synergies, and things that drivers do that many people that "pug" behind a typemander will never grasp.
    Most of the "pugs" he was talking about also get on discord a lot and hear all of the call outs and everything else so whatever drivers are doing beyond the usual squad stuff must be super secret.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ronin.4501 said:

Quickrain's not on SoS so I guess the joke's on you? Or maybe you're just a joke? For someone accusing another of being too self-important, maybe you should try being a little more self-aware?? A lot of veteran commanders pay attention to other commanders who aren't on their server. Clearly this doesn't apply to you.

Anything you say is not gonna change the fact that SoS is 1st now on Victory Points and that ele commander made that possible.

You guys saying that SoS only wins fight when they outnumber the enemies.

And yet, pulling a .8 K/D ratio. The only server in T1 less than 1.0.

claps

Thank You for the {MEME}

• @kash.9213 said:

@SniffyCube.6107 said:

@kash.9213 said:

@QuickRain.4735 said:

@kash.9213 said:

@SniffyCube.6107 said:

1 + 2 = 3

"There's a complexity to WvW including builds, comps, synergies, and things that drivers do that many people that "pug" behind a typemander will never grasp.
    Most of the "pugs" he was talking about also get on discord a lot and hear all of the call outs and everything else so whatever drivers are doing beyond the usual squad stuff must be super secret.

I think you've read to deeply......He's more referring to those who are doing the opposite.... Like those who refuse this or that because they think this or that is viable or this is better then this or that.... maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure he's referring to those who refuse to see outside of the box of "them"

• Where was outnumbered fights even mention?

• Ganz.3917Ganz.3917 Member ✭✭

@kash.9213 said:

You need to get out more. Every commander is different and has different ways of doing things. It's why some people gel with some commanders, and on others are just a walking bag. There are a TON of factors into every micro decision that should be made as a driver. The complexity increases when you are facing many unknowns with pugs. The "good" drivers understand this, and also why many new drivers struggle to get a foothold. Now on the flip side as a pug, a "good" pug now has to understand the commander they are following. Even being in discord and hearing the callouts is not just a simple 'common sense.' Commanders are often more than that; they are leaders. Leaders who have to juggle a lot more than simply commanding. Here is a short list of things I worry about as a 'private' guild commander:
    Where is stab coming from? Secondary Stab?
    Where is protection coming from?
    Where is Resistance coming from? What is the uptime?
    Where are cleanses coming from?
    Where are boon strips/corrupts coming from? How many?
    Where are offensive boons (might, fury) coming from? Full uptime?
    Where and how often are special boons (quickness, alacrity, superspeed) coming from?
    How can I arrange parties to best manage above?
    How much range damage do I have?
    How much melee damage do I have?
    How much lockdown, cc do I have?
    How much support do I have to sustain melee, ranged?
    How often do I have big cooldowns to wait for?
    Do I have enough stealth to cover squad?
    How quickly will cracks form in the squad causing a wipe?
    What are the enemy groups capable of?
    How many enemies are there?

That's just at squad creation, and many of those questions compound off each other. I'll even give the average pug the benefit of the doubt and assume they are on a meta class with a fairly meta build. (Which is more rare when following a pure typemander). The average pug knows 'I play scourge.' kitten kitten DROP WELLS. No, wait DROP WELLS WHEN COMMANDER CALLS. Okay, what about a commander like me who doesn't make well calls because I have a level of expectation of necro players to know? Well with pugs I see a lot of scattered wells, at random times. How about knowing when to use wells on first push, or saving wells for downs, knowing when the enemy is going to res? How are the warrior bubbles going to play out, both enemy and friendly? Is there a choke to focus on? Do we want there to be a choke? Now take even just this short accumulation of possibilities and compound them to where they all affect each other.

Now I know what you're thinking, 'why would a pug care about this?' And my response is, why shouldn't they? Isn't it valuable to know if you have stab, cleanse prot, etc in your party? Valuable to know if you are going pirate ship or be more aggressive? And average pug, following a typemander or a pugmander in discord without the proper groundwork, they just won't grasp it. Even with callouts, when I do have pugs follow I get questions on what specific callouts mean, and it's not because I use weird terms like 'pizza' to note enemy down players (TY GS).

So many little factors that pugs simply won't understand. It's also why some commanders can make people feel like gods and you can take the best players in the world who eat it because the commander isn't up to snuff. I see it on my own server watching people follow one commander, vs others and the difference it makes. It's not that drivers are doing stuff beyond the usual 'squad stuff'. It's that the average pug doesn't even know the usual 'squad stuff'.