No tengu?

@"Randulf.7614" said:I wouldn't expect much either. The dwarves were very much a bit part. The Tengu will likely be a 1 DRM cameo + EOTN NPC as well

Yeah, the dwarves are just "there" all of a sudden, gone for hundreds of years and then just back without fanfare or ceremony. Centuries of absence just hand waved away so they can rush an expansion out. It's sad.

I've no doubt the tengu will be the same, just suddenly there will be tengu running around a DRM with no real reason other than "hey guys, here's some tengu!" and a line or two about everyone needing to band together something something.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:I wouldn't expect much either. The dwarves were very much a bit part. The Tengu will likely be a 1 DRM cameo + EOTN NPC as well

Yeah, the dwarves are just "there" all of a sudden, gone for hundreds of years and then just back without fanfare or ceremony. Centuries of absence just hand waved away so they can rush an expansion out. It's sad.

They weren't expected back that's why, they've been underground for so long most people probably thought they were long gone by now, some probably don't even believe they existed at all.

It makes sense for them to come back now since Primordus is waking.. turning the tide on them and driving them up to the surface.

@Pifil.5193 said:

I've no doubt the tengu will be the same, just suddenly there will be tengu running around a DRM with no real reason other than "hey guys, here's some tengu!" and a line or two about everyone needing to band together something something.

I know the Anet team is focusing on EoD but man.... This story has honestly been their worst work to date. Everything is jarring, the voices (Normal talking when about to fight a massive boss "oh wow, its huge" said Braham in a calm soft voice while getting attacked with fire) If the NPC's are going to talk in battle.. make them shout so its fitting to the scene. The copy and paste settings from each DRM mission, they all feel the same other than the last two's final bosses. Then we have the introduction of factions, no build up no grand enterance.. they are just there with no explanation other than, fire bad, we now fight with you. They could have made a solo instance story mission which showed the dwarfs fleeing from the deep while fighting primordus's minions. At least then we'd have some introduction to the dwarves.

As others have said... EoD better be worth it.

@Teratus.2859 said:It makes sense for them to come back now since Primordus is waking.. turning the tide on them and driving them up to the surface.That's actually going against the lore. The transformation caused some psychological changes within the dwarven race - specifically stone dwarves are supposed to be completely fearless and unyelding. They would not have allowed themselves to be driven to surface - they would have fought to the last dwarf to stop destroyers from coming back up.

In fact, we've been told at some point that more destroyers seem to appear on the surface lately is a sign that the dwarves are probably already close to being extinct (seeing as they've been fighting unceaselessly and dying for the last 250 years, and can't increase their numbers anymore).

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:It makes sense for them to come back now since Primordus is waking.. turning the tide on them and driving them up to the surface.That's actually going against the lore. The transformation caused some psychological changes within the dwarven race - specifically stone dwarves are supposed to be completely fearless and unyelding. They would not have allowed themselves to be driven to surface - they would have fought to the last dwarf to stop destroyers from coming back up.

In fact, we've been told at some point that more destroyers seem to appear on the surface lately is a sign that the dwarves are probably already close to being extinct (seeing as they've been fighting unceaselessly and dying for the last 250 years, and can't increase their numbers anymore).

There's a big difference between fearless and foolishly reckless though, Dwarves are not mindless drones that would throw their lives away needlessly.They would fall back if they felt it would give them an advantage or if it was simply the best course of action.

Ogden has also been on the surface for years and is their connection to the going's on above so they very likely know about everything that's occurred up there for the past decade.. namely the deaths of the other Dragons and the unified efforts to get rid of the remaining ones.Retreating to the surface and joining forces with the various factions fighting the dragons is something they probably though't they would have to do eventually, the reason it's taken so long is probably because until recently they were managing to hold their own without the aid of others.. but now that Primordus has become so much more powerful they can no longer hold him back alone.

@"Teratus.2859" said:There's a big difference between fearless and foolishly reckless though, Dwarves are not mindless drones that would throw their lives away needlessly.They would fall back if they felt it would give them an advantage or if it was simply the best course of action.Actually, there were strong suggestions even back in GW1, that once they've engaged the enemy, they are no longer capable of "tactical withdrawal". Yes, it does make them dangerously reckless. They've became unyelding like the stone they turned into - and a stone does not retreat.

I don’t think Champions is terrible like some, I actually really enjoy the concept of the DRMs and I have loved most of the dialogue. But the very dry and and flavorless way were building allies with these extremely lore rich factions with no lead-in or exploration is a damn shame. The ideas aren’t so much the problem with the back half of Icebrood Saga as it is implementation. The second batch of DRMs did tighten up and had better variation, but it just needed to have so much more depth.

Dwarves and the forthcoming Tengu more than the rest deserve more time and attention than this. I hope there’s more, but what a lackluster way to bring those two big factions into the fold for the first time after the hype of waiting almost a decade to see them in action.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:There's a big difference between fearless and foolishly reckless though, Dwarves are not mindless drones that would throw their lives away needlessly.They would fall back if they felt it would give them an advantage or if it was simply the best course of action.Actually, there were strong suggestions even back in GW1, that once they've engaged the enemy, they are no longer capable of "tactical withdrawal". Yes, it does make them dangerously reckless. They've became unyelding like the stone they turned into - and a stone does not retreat.

I don't recall any such statement, then again it's easily possible they could have changed over the 250 years between games if those statements were true.There were plenty of reckless Dwarves even before the change so chances are this was more of a temporary state of mind in the collective consciousness as the first Stone Dwarves were mainly warriors who likely thought themselves near invincible after the change.With the addition of scholars and wiser dwarven minds into the collective they have no doubt changed over time.