inactive account limbo ? would it be possible

First time posting here, so I hope this is the right sectionMaybe something like this has been asked/ proposed beforeBut my friends and I were discussing this and I thought why not place the questions hereI hope I explain it clearly:

Is it not possible for gw2 to kind of limbo account that has been inactive for a long time?For example: when the account has not been used or logged in the game for at least two years,it gets removed from the homeworld and put into limbo*—creating space for an active player in that server.And once to account holder of the put-in-limbo account logs back in the game, the player can select a playable homeworld for free to play again.In my opinion, this would remove the irritation of new players who wants to join their friends in a server overpopulated by inactive users.I don't have the insight into how many players stopped playing, but we thought this idea can create more space for new players.

Also, this would reduce the need for so many homeworlds servers. and would empty out the full servers for them to be filled up again with active players,

This thought comes from the fact that recently some friends started playing GW2.And we started a new guild with each other some old some new players. We have a blast playing PVE. However, we can’t do WvW on the same server,
resulting in them having no interest in playing WVW. We have been talking about them switching servers when space opens up.

One of my friends, who played Guild Wars 2 from the start mentioned that several players in his friend-list have been inactive for six years. These players still occupy a spot in the homeworld, where its status is "full". I was lucky to join when the server-status changed to very high for a brief time.But this has not happened for quite some time as far as I know.

So I was wondering is something like this possible?Would they introduce something like this?What are your thoughts on this?

• On a side note to make sure what I meant with limbo. Not deleting the account, but make it serverless after an idle period of X years.And allow the player to select a new homeworld if they log back in.

They basically do have this system already. Server populations are based entirely on the number of people regularly playing WvW, not the total number of people who have picked that server as a home world, so accounts which have been inactive for a few months won't be factored into the populations because they're not going to have been in WvW. Even people who do play regularly but never go to WvW won't be counted.

That's also why it takes a few weeks for populations to change and tricks from other games like logging in during the middle of the night to catch a lull in activity won't make a difference.

No from me!The good thing about GW2 is that you can always come back without any cost. And to kick someone from their server just because they are inactive for whatever reason would be more than unfair.Imagine someone comes back after a few years or so (which is not uncommon for GW2 and other MMO's) wants to play with his guild, but had to choose a new server because he was kicked and his server is no longer free?

I understand your frustration in this regard, but please also consider the other side.

I had this case myself once where I started and my guild were all on a different server than me. I then simply waited until a place became free, which usually does not take long. At the latest after a new WVW matchup.The first server transfer is even free.

@Danikat.8537 said:They basically do have this system already. Server populations are based entirely on the number of people regularly playing WvW, not the total number of people who have picked that server as a home world, so accounts which have been inactive for a few months won't be factored into the populations because they're not going to have been in WvW. Even people who do play regularly but never go to WvW won't be counted.

That's also why it takes a few weeks for populations to change and tricks from other games like logging in during the middle of the night to catch a lull in activity won't make a difference.

I didn't know that yet. Thanks.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:First server transfers are only free for players that convert from Play4Free to paid accounts.Otherwise, there is a Gem cost.

As noted above, server populations are only determined by WvW participation. Nothing to do with how many players have chosen a particular Home World.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#Notes

Aren't all new accounts Convert accounts, or what do you mean?Back when I bought HOT and created an account, I had a free server transfer, even without ever having played f2p.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Choosing a server when creating an account is not a server transfer.And, no, all new accounts are not 'convert' accounts; only those converting from Play4Free to paid accounts.

I didn't say that.I had chosen a server when I created my account(after I bought hot) and later, when I found my guild that also did WVW, I used the Free trans.Therefore, this confuses me right now and therefore my question if not all new accounts are then f2p accounts or what was different with mine?

@ViperStrike.1574 said:Is it not possible for gw2 to kind of limbo account that has been inactive for a long time?For example: when the account has not been used or logged in the game for at least two years,it gets removed from the homeworld and put into limbo*—creating space for an active player in that server.

Not needed. There is no server system for PvE. This game runs megaservers where all PvE players from the same region (EU or NA) can play together.

@ViperStrike.1574 said:And we started a new guild with each other some old some new players. We have a blast playing PVE. However, we can’t do WvW on the same server,

resulting in them having no interest in playing WVW. We have been talking about them switching servers when space opens up.

WvW server population is determined by ACTIVE players participating in WvW. Accounts that are not entering WvW or fully inactive are not part of the calculation.

The shifts in server population are due to guilds and players transferring between servers for WvW purposes, most often close to the 2 month re-links which happen. This is again only active players only and is often driven by new server links or lack thereof.

@ViperStrike.1574 said:One of my friends, who played Guild Wars 2 from the start mentioned that several players in his friend-list have been inactive for six years. These players still occupy a spot in the homeworld, where its status is "full". I was lucky to join when the server-status changed to very high for a brief time.But this has not happened for quite some time as far as I know.

Your friend is incorrect and should know better IF he has been with this game for so long.

If you want to play together in WvW you have following options:A. don't bandwagon on a full server. That server is considered full for purposes of balance and as such is closed to further playersB. transfer to the partner server in case that one is not full yetC. organize and transfer to a lower population server as groupD. wait until the next server re-link and hope that the server you are on opens up, or gets a new partner server which is not full

If you want to play PvE together you have following things to watch out for:make sure you are all playing on the same region (EU players can't party with NA and vice versa, only the trading post is shared)

You can also get a ‘free transfer’ to an open server, by deleting all of your toons and starting from scratch. But verify that on the Wiki.

Edited and copied from the Wiki:The transfer fee is waived for accounts without any active characters. This allows players just starting out to change to another world that is not full. You can also transfer without cost if you delete all your existing characters. The next time you log on without any characters, you will be prompted to choose a new home world. [1] Please be aware of the following:

Transfers to any game world — whether free or paid for with gems — are allowed only if the population of the world is at less than capacity.Transfers to any game world — whether free or paid for with gems — are allowed only once per seven days.If you decide to delete the characters on your account, Customer Support cannot restore them, in whole or in part.When all characters are deleted, your guilds, coin, and bank contents will not be lost.*

Also, this (almost) three year old thread details our what people have been wanting which would meet your needs.

I gave this post a thought; I don’t know how this system works, but I can identify the problem what I think what you mean to say.Is this post about you wanting to play WVW with guild members from other servers, correct?

I think it would be a good thing to do if the servers are full. I don’t know if the spots are occupied or not with lifeless accounts. If so, sure, why not?In my previous guild, the issue was that I wanted to do WVW with my guild members; however, we could not do WVW together because of the servers. We can play PVE together with the guest function, that was great, but we could not play WVW together. Because I already did a transfer, the next transfer costs money I cannot spend. My guild members could still do a change for free, but the server was full. In the end, I quit the guild. Because at that time, I played WVW more than PVE.I can say things as make changing servers free. But that would be impossible :P.

Have a great day ^^

@Espada Seraph Phoenix.6129 said:I gave this post a thought; I don’t know how this system works, but I can identify the problem what I think what you mean to say.Is this post about you wanting to play WVW with guild members from other servers, correct?

I think it would be a good thing to do if the servers are full. I don’t know if the spots are occupied or not with lifeless accounts. If so, sure, why not?In my previous guild, the issue was that I wanted to do WVW with my guild members; however, we could not do WVW together because of the servers. We can play PVE together with the guest function, that was great, but we could not play WVW together. Because I already did a transfer, the next transfer costs money I cannot spend. My guild members could still do a change for free, but the server was full. In the end, I quit the guild. Because at that time, I played WVW more than PVE.I can say things as make changing servers free. But that would be impossible :P.

Have a great day ^^

As others have mentioned, WvW population is done only with players actively playing WvW. So even active PvE only players aren't a factor in WvW server status.

@Espada Seraph Phoenix.6129 said:I gave this post a thought; I don’t know how this system works, but I can identify the problem what I think what you mean to say.Is this post about you wanting to play WVW with guild members from other servers, correct?

Have a great day ^^

As said earlier in the thread delete all characters and transfer for free.

AFAIK, outside of WvW and the option of EU vs NA, your chosen server is irrelevant? They updated to a 'megaserver' system where the instance you're playing in isn't necessarily solely with people from your chosen server. They also apparently prioritize putting you in instances with guildmates, even if they are from another server (as long as you are both EU or NA).