Character won't stop running

Very, very often... scores of times per game session I will be running manually (W key, no autorun, it's not mapped) and steering with my mouse, right button down. When I let go of the W key the character keeps running. Even if I hit S he bounces back for a moment and then continues running forward. I've seen him run as many as 6 more steps before stopping. No swiftness or any run buff. This makes it's very hard to fight as I'm melee Mezmer and if I try to run up to a mob and stop I just keep running right through them and have to turn around. Jumping puzzles are almost impossible as I simply run off the edge no matter how hard I try. I have a standard mouse and keyboard, no macros or anything.

I'm not saying this can be fixed but I figured this was a last resort before I put the game up. Currently it's an exercise in frustration. Thank you for any thoughts or input on this matter.

@Arsenal.5043 said:Very, very often... scores of times per game session I will be running manually (W key, no autorun, it's not mapped) and steering with my mouse, right button down. When I let go of the W key the character keeps running. Even if I hit S he bounces back for a moment and then continues running forward. I've seen him run as many as 6 more steps before stopping. No swiftness or any run buff. This makes it's very hard to fight as I'm melee Mezmer and if I try to run up to a mob and stop I just keep running right through them and have to turn around. Jumping puzzles are almost impossible as I simply run off the edge no matter how hard I try. I have a standard mouse and keyboard, no macros or anything.

I'm not saying this can be fixed but I figured this was a last resort before I put the game up. Currently it's an exercise in frustration. Thank you for any thoughts or input on this matter.

Yeah, happens to me a lot. For me activating the chat works for some reason, character stops immediately. Also helps when my characters suddenly start spinning.

@DeanBB.4268 said:I've never experienced this, nor has my family (4 other players) complained of it. Can you try a different keyboard? Or temporarily map your W to another key to see if that solves it?Actually, nothing else except tapping in the chat helps me. It's definitely not a keyboard problem since I've no problem with it not in other games nor in any other app, there is no double lettering, nothing. And I also changed the keyboard, yes. The problem occurs only in gw2, my character suddenly not gonna stop spinning or running forward.

@DeanBB.4268 said:I've never experienced this, nor has my family (4 other players) complained of it. Can you try a different keyboard? Or temporarily map your W to another key to see if that solves it?

Thank you for your thoughts. I can't try a different keyboard as it's connect to my laptop. The remap would be a good test and as soon as it starts to hit me again I'll try it out. Thank you!

@nopinopa.4861 said:

Yeah, happens to me a lot. For me activating the chat works for some reason, character stops immediately. Also helps when my characters suddenly start spinning.

Activating chat stops you just once or it fixes it for a while? I can't imaging doing a jumping puzzle and having to switch to chat every time I want to stop. Thank you!

@nopinopa.4861 said:Actually, nothing else except tapping in the chat helps me. It's definitely not a keyboard problem since I've no problem with it not in other games nor in any other app, there is no double lettering, nothing. And I also changed the keyboard, yes. The problem occurs only in gw2, my character suddenly not gonna stop spinning or running forward.

Good deal I'll give that a try. Very much appreciated.

@Arsenal.5043 said:

Activating chat stops you just once or it fixes it for a while? I can't imaging doing a jumping puzzle and having to switch to chat every time I want to stop. Thank you!

Well, it helps me to stop this running for the life asura until the bug decided to appear again. So yeah, it somehow stops the bug for an unpredictable amount of time. It even allowed me to do SAB w2 trib mode, so...

@nopinopa.4861 said:

Well, it helps me to stop this running for the life asura until the bug decided to appear again. So yeah, it somehow stops the bug for an unpredictable amount of time. It even allowed me to do SAB w2 trib mode, so...

That's a work around I can handle. Thank you nopinopa for the suggestions.

Ok so the chat trick doesn't work for me. I've taken a closer look at this and the behavior is as if I'm still holding the W after I've let go. I can take my hands complete off the keyboard and mouse yet I keep running.... sometimes for 3 extra steps, sometimes it never stops. The difference between this and auto-run is that hitting S cancels autorun. If I hit S during the problem behavior it stops you but as soon as you let go it starts running again. To see what I mean just hold down W and tap or hold S a few times. I have gotten a brand new mouse with no luck. Not saying anyone can fix this but it's hard to believe that it's only me. Anyway thank you everyone for the help you provided.

@Arsenal.5043 said:Ok so the chat trick doesn't work for me. I've taken a closer look at this and the behavior is as if I'm still holding the W after I've let go. I can take my hands complete off the keyboard and mouse yet I keep running.... sometimes for 3 extra steps, sometimes it never stops. The difference between this and auto-run is that hitting S cancels autorun. If I hit S during the problem behavior it stops you but as soon as you let go it starts running again. To see what I mean just hold down W and tap or hold S a few times. I have gotten a brand new mouse with no luck. Not saying anyone can fix this but it's hard to believe that it's only me. Anyway thank you everyone for the help you provided.

Ye, that's exactly the problem I also have. So chat trick didnt help at all? You kept running after activating the chat field? And even writing a letter didnt work out? D: That's so sad to hear, that always worked for me :c

A bit more info. The longer I'm in the game the more it happens. When I first log in, press W to run and let go it gives the little "skid" animation and stops right away. The longer I'm on the worse it gets. First the skid animation stops. Then it goes 1 then 2 then 3 steps past where I let go of W to the point where it doesn't stop at all. It will be running on it's own with no hands on keyboard or mouse and no auto-run mapped. That is consistent by the way. Starts off fine and gets progressively worse.

@"Arsenal.5043" said:A bit more info. The longer I'm in the game the more it happens. When I first log in, press W to run and let go it gives the little "skid" animation and stops right away. The longer I'm on the worse it gets. First the skid animation stops. Then it goes 1 then 2 then 3 steps past where I let go of W to the point where it doesn't stop at all. It will be running on it's own with no hands on keyboard or mouse and no auto-run mapped. That is consistent by the way. Starts off fine and gets progressively worse.

Old laptop? Part of your keyboard might just be dying. Connect any other keyboard to check if it still happens with one that is functional without any doubts.Also you didn't say if you've actually tried remapping w into another key, so if you didn't then try that.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"Arsenal.5043" said:A bit more info. The longer I'm in the game the more it happens. When I first log in, press W to run and let go it gives the little "skid" animation and stops right away. The longer I'm on the worse it gets. First the skid animation stops. Then it goes 1 then 2 then 3 steps past where I let go of W to the point where it doesn't stop at all. It will be running on it's own with no hands on keyboard or mouse and no auto-run mapped. That is consistent by the way. Starts off fine and gets progressively worse.

Old laptop? Part of your keyboard might just be dying. Connect any other keyboard to check if it still happens with one that is functional without any doubts.Also you didn't say if you've actually tried remapping w into another key, so if you didn't then try that.

I reset the keys to default and tried putting Run Forward on another key but it didn't seem to matter. I'm running a gaming lappy that's about 18 months old. i7-9750, RTX 2070, 16 GB ram etc. Don't have an external keyboard that I can try at the moment. Thank you for taking the time to offer some help.

@DeanBB.4268 said:I've never experienced this, nor has my family (4 other players) complained of it. Can you try a different keyboard? Or temporarily map your W to another key to see if that solves it?

I'm giving this one to DeadBB as he said it first. My W key was a tiny bit sticky so when I first login I didn't notice the problem. However the longer (and harder) I held W the more it stuck and the further I ran. That's why it seemed to get worse the longer I played... longer runs. I've got it working a bit better but I really need to break out the rubbing alcohol and the Q-tips. Thank you to everyone who gave their time to offer some help.