Level/Character Boost Questions

Shane.4023

Hi guys. I have been away from GW2 for a bit, and have a few questions. In my Shared Inventory, I have 2 Level 80 Character Boosts. Are they worth using? All of my Characters are low levels. I want to experience game content and Expansions, but feel like I am missing out. Also, I did a search for Boosts in the Black Lion (?) in-game shop, and I found a Black Lion Level 80 Ticket that I can purchase for 2000 Gems. Um, what is that Ticket used for, and what is difference between that and the 2 Level 80 Character Boosts that I already have? Also, how do I purchase Level/Character Boosts? Thoughts and help appreciated :)

If your goal is do do open world, boss trains, Living World and personal story, then a level 80 boost can be a good thing.

However, if you want to participate in end game content: raids, WvW, sPvP, Fractals, etc, I would recommend working your way through leveling by either doing map completion, or personal story activities.

It teaches you actually how to play your class, you learn about your skills and some of the nuances.

But that’s me.

??

@Strider Pj.2193 said:If your goal is do do open world, boss trains, Living World and personal story, then a level 80 boost can be a good thing.

However, if you want to participate in end game content: raids, WvW, sPvP, Fractals, etc, I would recommend working your way through leveling by either doing map completion, or personal story activities.

It teaches you actually how to play your class, you learn about your skills and some of the nuances.

But that’s me.

??

Thanks for the help and info! Um, how do I purchase more Level/Character Boosts? Also, what is that Level 80 Ticket in the in-game shop used for that I can purchase for 2000 Gems? Further thoughts and help appreciated :)

Experienced advice is to proceed througha character at least once before using the boost. Going to 80 and experiencing end game content tends to be a culture shock for many and puts a lot of people off (then they come here saying the game is too hard and needs nerfing).

Ultimately you do what is best for you, but it's ultimately proved to be better to a lot players to be led through naturally at least once. After that, boosts are perfect for alts

@Shane.4023 said:

@"Strider Pj.2193" said:If your goal is do do open world, boss trains, Living World and personal story, then a level 80 boost can be a good thing.

But that’s me.

??

Thanks for the help and info! Um, how do I purchase more Level/Character Boosts? Also, what is that Level 80 Ticket in the in-game shop used for that I can purchase for 2000 Gems? Further thoughts and help appreciated :)

All your answers would have been found on the wiki, which would have come up with a simple google search:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Instant_Level_80_Ticket

has to be placed into a shared inventory slots, then turns into a:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level-80_Boost

which is what you have 2 of in the 2 shared inventory slots as bonus for purchasing both expansions.

The recommendation given by Strider Pj.2193 is sound. You should level at least 1 character to 80 and get familiar with the game. What point is there being level 80 if you have no idea how this game plays or if you will enjoy it?

That said, you are free to make your own choices and boost away. My personal prediction: you will be overwhelmed, bored and eventually either restart or quit the game. We've seen it happen before often enough. Feel free to make the obligatory "what am I supposed to do at max level?" thread in the players helping players forum, or google/look up some of the past ones there.

The boost is useful, but you get a lot of choices and not a lot of direction at level 80, so it's not a good idea to use it unless you're confident you know what you're doing with your character and the game. Depending on how long you've been away and how far you got before that it might be fine, or it might be better to level at least one character normally first so you can learn the game and then use the boost on another one to give you more options.

The level 80 ticket in the store is identical to the ones you've got, it's just in the store so players who want to boost more characters have that option. Personally I wouldn't buy it because levelling normally doesn't take that long in this game and there's a lot of content, even some of the stuff level 80 players are doing like dungeons and world bosses, available before you get to level 80.

You also get Tomes of Knowledge from login rewards (and WvW if you play it) which give 1 level each, so if you wait a while before making a new character you can level them instantly for free. I always keep at least Tomes in the bank, just in case I want another max level character at short notice.

@Shane.4023

I would personally level a few characters to 80 without a level boost, so you can get a really good feel of different classes and learn their skills really well.On top of this to will partially gain mapCompletion which will help when you want to craft a gen 1 legendary.I would only use a boost after you have a one or more traditionally maxed characters.

If you use the boost, you will miss a large chunk of the game such as JPs, many of the different beautiful environments, as well as the lore from the side quests and etc.You will just have a much better understanding of the game in general.

• 2 months later...

Hi again guys. Thanks for all your help and info on if I should use a Character Boost or not. I am fairly new to game, all of my Characters are low levels. Anyway, is/are there good recommended classes for mostly solo play? I still want to do as much of game content as I can, such as the HoT and PoF expansions. Further thoughts and help appreciated :)

It's possible to play any character solo, so my advice is to pick one that interests you. I think you're far more likely to make progress with a character you enjoy playing than one you find boring just because it's also easy or simplistic.

Having said that I think ranger, necromancer and guardian, and possibly warrior are often recommended as 'safe' choices for new players. (I think warrior is the most straight-forward to learn, but I don't see it recommended as much lately.) Elementalist and mesmer are often considered the hardest to play at low levels because they can be very squishy and their skills are a bit more complicated to use effectively. Revenant can be confusing too, because their utility skills work different to every other profession.

@Shane.4023 said:Hi guys. I have been away from GW2 for a bit, and have a few questions. In my Shared Inventory, I have 2 Level 80 Character Boosts. Are they worth using?

Feel free to use the boost if you've found a class that you'd enjoy playing at level 80. You get to test it out first in Silverwastes although you won't have access to elite specializations. Creating a character in sPvP to play around in the lobby area used to be another alternative and may still be.

Even if you plan to do endgame content, I wouldn't worry too much about missing out on much as far as learning the class goes. Endgame content tends to favor specific builds, determined by the players, and those builds are not something you'd likely be using while leveling up the normal way. You'd also have to learn how to play those builds so whatever knowledge you gained from leveling would basically be negligible and/or redundant.