SMS Account Security suggestion

Before I begin, I already know the easiest way to stop having to click the 'remind me later' link is to just sign up with SMS already. That being said, I've been a member of this community since the beta weekends, and while I love this game and keep coming back I don't want to get locked out of my account because I just took a year off again.

All I'm saying is it's been a loooooong time now of having to click that remind me later link literally every other time I log into the game now. Can we possibly look into an option that's a check box saying remind me in a week (or month would be better honestly). Definitely not the biggest problem the game has sure, but it's gotta be a simple enough fix and it'd really help if autoplay did it's thing for me.

Thanks for your time...

Please please please use SMS authentication. Not only is it the best way to protect your account from being hacked. But it also helps keeping the game clean of gold sell spam and farmbots.If you, for some reason, get a new phone number, all it takes is a supportticket to resolve it and it is usually fixed within a few hours.

Thank you for keeping the game safe.

I'd suggest adding this to the checkbox"I don't use a stupid password, share it or use it anywhere else"The only time I have been "hacked" is when I shared my WoW password with a "friend" and I was 13.

It doesn't bother me anymore, my mouse cursor is always in the right spot to click the ignore button after login.You will never get the checkbox, for some people it's better if they sign up to the sms validation since there are way too many idiots using the same password for their email account.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:all it takes is a supportticket to resolve it and it is usually fixed within a few hours.

Clicking ignore half the times I log in is less hassle than this solution + using a text message for every log in attempt. Not that I want my account hacked, but a) I don't share my passwords and b) it's just a game. I spent money on initial purchase and the second expansion... I don't buy gems.

However, if they take the time to make my life better by upgrading to a checkbox that doesn't at all bother the 'security conscious' crowd who already signed up, I could be bothered to spend a little money on gems I suppose? I don't know, I'm not asking for much honestly...such simple customer satisfaction really shouldn't need a reward.

@Bvhjdbvkjf.1987 said:a) I don't share my passwords and b) it's just a game.

So many people have stated that they are secure with just a password, but they really where not. there are so many hacking tools that can reveal your passwords.Just to ask:Anytime you login here, do you type your password or let it fill in from a password service?Do you have remember password checked in the game login?

If the answer is yes you are vulnerable. And even if you answer no and type it out every single time, you are still at risk. Using two way authentication is not 100% save but eliminates many risks you are taking right now. You think you are save and that is exactly why it is important to remind you that you are not save

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@Bvhjdbvkjf.1987 said:a) I don't share my passwords

So many people have stated that they are secure with just a password, but they really where not. There are so many hacking tools that can reveal your passwords.Just to ask:Anytime you login here, do you type your password or let it fill in from a password service?Do you have remember password checked in the game login?

If the answer is yes you are vulnerable. And even if you answer no and type it out every single time, you are still at risk. Using two way authentication is not 100% save but eliminates many risks you are taking right now. You think you are save and that is exactly why it is important to remind you that you are not and should enable sms authentication.

I also do not know the hesitation. Perhaps it is cause you share your phonenumber? Arenanet is active in the EU and EU regulations on privacy are pretty strict. They can only use your number for the reason they obtained it for (so sending you this text message for authentication). Any other use would be a breach of the EU privacy regulations.

@mercury ranique.2170 These all sound like super helpful questions... they also sound like a great way to lead a lurker on the forums to hack my account. What's next, you want to know exactly how many alphanumeric characters long my password is? I get that you're trying to be reassuring, but it's probably best you don't do so in this manner going forward, if you ask me.

Look, I get the point, I've had my account here since June of 2012 and it (along with all my other gaming accounts) is at risk of one screw up and loosing everything. It's not about not wanting to provide them my phone number, it's about convenience and 2-factor authentication is for people not like me. I don't need help keeping things secure, it was a simple suggestion that doesn't even affect the players who are willing to use the extra step. You would think I asked to break a profession or something with all this negative feedback geez... it's not about taking the option away entirely it's about making it less spammed to the customers. But it's whatever, guess I'll just chalk it up to just another one of those things bound to annoy me about this game. Thanks anyways.

@Bvhjdbvkjf.1987 said:@mercury ranique.2170 These all sound like super helpful questions... they also sound like a great way to lead a lurker on the forums to hack my account. What's next, you want to know exactly how many alphanumeric characters long my password is? I get that you're trying to be reassuring, but it's probably best you don't do so in this manner going forward, if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure he didn't intend you to answer the question on the forum, just to ask them (and answer them) to yourself in private as a way of thinking about how secure you really are.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Bvhjdbvkjf.1987 said:@mercury ranique.2170 These all sound like super helpful questions... they also sound like a great way to lead a lurker on the forums to hack my account. What's next, you want to know exactly how many alphanumeric characters long my password is? I get that you're trying to be reassuring, but it's probably best you don't do so in this manner going forward, if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure he didn't intend you to answer the question on the forum, just to ask them (and answer them) to yourself in private as a way of thinking about how secure you really are.

I agree, but with as many people that actually DO need 2 form authentication, it's not a good idea to be asking those questions at all... someone is bound to answer them here. That was my point.

You do not need to use the SMS auhentication every time you log in. It sends you SMS the first time you log in after activating it and you tick "remember this network" and then never again except if you change your ISP or log in from different city. Then you need to do it again once. Other than that, logging in is exatly the same with the authenticator as it is without.

Zero incovenience, much protection.

@Bvhjdbvkjf.1987 said:It's not about not wanting to provide them my phone number, it's about convenience and 2-factor authentication is for people not like me.

2FA is required - it defaults to email authentication. The only reason they push the other two options is because they have to assume people use the same password everywhere and thus have compromised emails, in which case the other options serve as a delay.

I'd be fine under the following:

Only permanent bans lifted. If the account got a temp ban, the player has to deal with it

No roll backs. So if the hacker liquidated the account, then oh well.

If a player doesn't want to put forth the effort to secure their account to the highest amount possible, then they forego support putting forth the maximum possible effort.

Look, I get the point, I've had my account here since June of 2012 and it (along with all my other gaming accounts) is at risk of one screw up and loosing everything. It's not about not wanting to provide them my phone number, it's about convenience and 2-factor authentication is for people not like me. I don't need help keeping things secure, it was a simple suggestion that doesn't even affect the players who are willing to use the extra step. You would think I asked to break a profession or something with all this negative feedback geez... it's not about taking the option away entirely it's about making it less spammed to the customers. But it's whatever, guess I'll just chalk it up to just another one of those things bound to annoy me about this game. Thanks anyways.

The point of the entire question to enable two factor authentication is that without you, you take a risk. This risk is not just harmfull to your account, but also to the entire game as a hacked account enables access to people hacking, cheating, botting and spamming. So in short. It is with very good reason you keep being asked the question and there is a good reason not having a way of turning it off.

having two factor authentication enabled is a lesser inconvinience then having the question in the login process. And it should be that way.