Best way to switch to a chosen target?

Tridentuk.1625

Hey,

As a thief you obviously want to utilise mobility and burst to isolate vulnerable targets, however I'm having a small mechanical issue that I would like to sort out. My current method of selecting target in the middle of fights is to right-click them, but I find this to be inefficient and awkward- firstly it costs a valuable split second to do, and secondly I'll sometimes miss the click especially if the fight is hectic (I currently run steal-stealth and infiltrator's-CnD as my gap closers on pd core which means having the wrong target selected or not being able to switch targets efficiently isn't the best). Even just the fact that I don't feel confident in it causes a split second of me checking if I have successfully targeted who I want.

This also costs me in situations where I'm outnumbered because it's just another factor that can create a mis-step that will get me killed.

Was wandering if a more experienced player could help me out with this particular mechanic- is there a better way to go about this so that I can be quicker, more efficient and more reliable in selecting/switching targets?

I have Right Mouse for pan camera and I don't have it set to select targets since I like to use RM for de-targeting in a screen corner when I need to.

I take targets with Left Mouse click mostly but also along with Tab targeting. I use them together because I might need to dart between a few targets and I can keep looking at the nearest target while also peeking at a few others I see plotting.

You want to use one or the other depending on line of site and invisible walls/objects.

It might feel odd for awhile but think of it like your reticle in first person shooters.

I don't use Yolomouse cursor either, I feel like that gets in the way even though the default cursor can get lost if you're not tuned in to feeling where it's at yet.

Tab (target next enemy) and left mouse click have been more than sufficient for me. Then again it is personal preference.

I would really suggest you to keybind set/take target and stow weapon(you can cancel spells with it) on keys you can reach quickly, disable AA on target change, enable instant cast on ground based spells, disable autotargetting.

Lots of practice learning the tab targeting system's nuances for targets in more spread-out encounters.

Otherwise for selecting a very specific target, you just have to get faster at left-clicking them. Practice, practice, practice. There's really no better way and you just have to build the accuracy/speed mechanics over time like you would in a shooter.

As an aside, if you get the target in advance from range, you can assign target lock and in case they break targeting, it'll stick, and then use take target bound to a hotkey. That said, I'm way faster on just clicking them and continuing on than playing that minigame of buttons.

@Tridentuk.1625 said:Hey,

As a thief you obviously want to utilise mobility and burst to isolate vulnerable targets, however I'm having a small mechanical issue that I would like to sort out. My current method of selecting target in the middle of fights is to right-click them, but I find this to be inefficient and awkward- firstly it costs a valuable split second to do, and secondly I'll sometimes miss the click especially if the fight is hectic (I currently run steal-stealth and infiltrator's-CnD as my gap closers on pd core which means having the wrong target selected or not being able to switch targets efficiently isn't the best). Even just the fact that I don't feel confident in it causes a split second of me checking if I have successfully targeted who I want.

This also costs me in situations where I'm outnumbered because it's just another factor that can create a mis-step that will get me killed.

Was wandering if a more experienced player could help me out with this particular mechanic- is there a better way to go about this so that I can be quicker, more efficient and more reliable in selecting/switching targets?

Tab target/left click to select them. I wouldn't use right click as your camera view and intentional movement is too important to let go of. Something I'd suggest as well is getting a better cursor icon as well. Sindrener has a really good one if you check out his videos, the default cursor on GW2 sometimes blends in with the environment or can be too small to see, which might be why you're missing it.

This is especially important for thief because the fight can be won or lost in fractions of a second.

@Tridentuk.1625 said:@Strider.7849Oooh that's a juicy tip about the cursor. Thanks.

He's talking about the Yolomouse cursor that I mentioned. Definitely try it out, but I think it doesn't help much and it more often made my view worse. I think people who are effective and use it are just effective, not because they use it. The only actual use I got out of it was I had set the background color of the cursor that hovering over targeted walls in wvw would show with that weird infrared color because hard to see siege equipment would give a better outline through it. Give it a shot though and read the instructions so you can set a few that might work for you.

@kash.9213ThanksI've been practicing without auto target, it has hampered my gameplay so far.. but I will keep at it.I come from SC2 and Dota where I've put in 1000s of hours so I know that whenever you try to level up mechanics it always results in an initial drop off before you can get used to it enough.

I already switched tab to switch weapons so i put mouse 3 to tab targets, it isn't quite as crisp as a keyboard button so I may consider switching back although it will be an investment of a few days to reset my muscle memory to do so.

I think the more you play this game the faster you'll fit into a change of keybinds. GW2 is pretty good about not giving us a book full of keybinds we have to set, I have pretty much everything within reach without having to lift off much. If there's a skill or action you want to use a lot but have been stumbling with Left Ctrl is a good spot for panic buttons. I put my dual skill there because it's easy to just lean my bottom left palm down a little without any lift off when I need to stagger evades and dodges through a squad or something and it feels fluid like an arcade fighter.

@kash.9213Yeah I've been fiddling around with keybinds so much, I'm just short of a couple of extra keys I could use but I really dislike moving my hand across the keyboard because I tend to miss and sometimes lose my original hand placement and I don't think it's something I can practice my way out of. I already got rid of the Fx keys entirely and put them on build/equipment shortcuts so that's "F" and "G" gone for using steal and stolen skill. H and B are special skill 3 and 4, which I couuuld use but then I'd be screwed for if I ever want to play an Ele or something.I've basically rearranged nearly all the keys in order of priority and importance, but like I say I've run out. Had to put targeting tab on mouse 3 cos I have tab on switch weapons cos I use it a lot.Also I know this is practically taboo but I'm going with autotarget on for now, it just feels like the extra 0.2 secs to click isn't worth it and I can always click other targets later (which kind of destroys this thread). Just have to avoid getting into the habit of autotargeting too much and trying to click whenever possible first.

I use the Action Camera and select targets by putting the Action Camera cursor over the target I want to hit similar to a traditional shooter. It doesn't work as well for some classes but works well for the thief. I converted the old CombatMod macro to use ANets built in system. Tab turns the Action Camera mode on/off so the camera works like most other 3rd person view games, left click attacks and right click dodges while in "Combat Mode" otherwise the mouse behaves normally outside of "Combat Mode". The macro also allows for the use of the scroll wheel to be mapped to weapon swap.

On teleporting builds such as P/D you can watch opponents get dizzy trying to spin around and select me with a mouse. Even tab targeting sometimes gets confusing for them when there are multiple targets around.