Do you want an ultimatum over cosmetic effects? [guess not]

I notice that the topics about cosmetic effects affecting performance and quality of life keep popping up in these discussions. The effects include infusions and equipment with auras and backpacks that always render no matter what settings are taken. With the expansion pack coming, would people here like to come together and declare that they will not purchase the pack unless these cosmetic effects can be manually disabled from rendering? I ask this not simply because I would like to be able to disable them from rendering but to also create a visible message to consider instead of players simply dropping out without notice.

So to reiterate:Will you demand the option to disable cosmetic effects and decide not to purchase the upcoming expansion pack unless this demand is met?

A week later, a majority of poll participants are not in favor of issuing an ultimatum as only 15 out of 86 poll participants have voted yes. Among those who voted yes, I have noticed are not entirely on board with going as far as an ultimatum. Most responders though agree that an option to tone down effects would be nice to have.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really only flashy backpacks. It probably has to do with the method of backpack implementation, as the Umbra-sourced CPU culling doesn't seem to cull them properly or drop their quality even if the main character model is turned to basic.

If you turn animation to low most infusion effects do not show. I don't think that infusion effects are a problem if they are culled properly , although people stacking 6+ different skin effects is excessive sometimes. Specifically in instances with fewer than 25 players (such as fractals, raids, strikes, DRMs, dungeons, PVP), they should not be disabled unless they outright cause a huge frame drop.

Edit: refer to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cosmetic_auraA person in full legendaries* with any form of cosmetic infusion such as Moto's Bauble , Deldrimor Stoneskin , Liquid Aurilium would be over 6 different effects.(Vision + Aurora + Coalescence + Conflux + Transcendence + legendary weapon)

I was going to answer 'don't care', because I do not. But for the sake of the poll... I answered 'no'. Because it is not an issue that I have ever noticed enough to care about. It would have absolutely no bearing on my purchasing the expansion, one way or the other - I am buying the expansion - in what ever Deluxe package they offer.

@Tukaram.8256 said:I was going to answer 'don't care', because I do not. But for the sake of the poll... I answered 'no'. Because it is not an issue that I have ever noticed enough to care about. It would have absolutely no bearing on my purchasing the expansion, one way or the other - I am buying the expansion - in what ever Deluxe package they offer.

What do you mean by this? Do you actually not care one way or the other? Or do you mean you don't care to see an ultimatum? Should I have not put in a don't care option?

@DaFishBob.6518 said:

@"Tukaram.8256" said:I was going to answer 'don't care', because I do not. But for the sake of the poll... I answered 'no'. Because it is not an issue that I have ever noticed enough to care about. It would have absolutely no bearing on my purchasing the expansion, one way or the other - I am buying the expansion - in what ever Deluxe package they offer.

What do you mean by this? Do you actually not care one way or the other? Or do you mean you don't care to see an ultimatum? Should I have not put in a don't care option?

I mean it is not an issue to me in the least. I do not care about the issue, or the ultimatum. It is not an issue to me in the least. So the 'don't care' option would work... but in regards to the poll/"ultimatum"... 'no' is a better option for me.

I would be fine with a toggle on anything you want, but my purchase will not be affected in any way by the addition or non-addition of it.

I'd be happy with some system be put in place for managing infusions and cosmetic auras in general.

I don't consider pressuring, whining and/or making bold threats about purchasing or not purchasing a product a reasonable approach.

EoD will sell on its own merits and I will then decide if I want to spend money on it or not.

All right, well the reason I'm asking if we want an ultimatum is due to an often repeated reason that Anet has no financial incentive to allow us to disable cosmetic effects, that they want to make sure everyone see the effects to try and encourage cosmetics sales. I want to see if a sizeable group of players wants to send a message about how upsetting this issue is. So far with 7 no votes to my 1 yes, I guess not.

@DaFishBob.6518 said:All right, well the reason I'm asking if we want an ultimatum is due to an often repeated reason that Anet has no financial incentive to allow us to disable cosmetic effects, that they want to make sure everyone see the effects to try and encourage cosmetics sales. I want to see if a sizeable group of players wants to send a message about how upsetting this issue is. So far with 7 no votes to my 1 yes, I guess not.

An ultimatum is ridiculous. They need to work on visual culling of backpieces (mainly flashy gemstore ones on people not in near field of view), but turning off of legendary trinkets' effects is a highly requested feature even by people that own them. It's a QoL hotfix that could be implemented even in the absence of an expansion.

No, because the effects are not the problem. Modern hardware can do ray tracing at 4k yet Guild Wars 2 doesn't manage a few effects without dipping to unplayable?This game needs an engine upgrade ASAP, if not before, then after EOD comes out. That's the only thing it's going to fix the effect problems, and with an engine upgrade, they will probably be more balanced visually or added options to disable. That cannot happen without an upgrade though, and an upgrade is needed to optimise performance. Especially on older hardware.

@Infusion.7149 said:

@DaFishBob.6518 said:All right, well the reason I'm asking if we want an
ultimatum
is due to an often repeated reason that Anet has no financial incentive to allow us to disable cosmetic effects, that they want to make sure everyone see the effects to try and encourage cosmetics sales. I want to see if a sizeable group of players wants to send a message about how upsetting this issue is. So far with 7 no votes to my 1 yes, I guess not.

An ultimatum is ridiculous. They need to work on visual culling of backpieces (mainly flashy gemstore ones on people not in near field of view), but turning off of legendary trinkets' effects is a highly requested feature even by people that own them.
It's a QoL hotfix that could be implemented even in the absence of an expansion.

That is what I'm hoping for yet for some reason they have yet to make this change. As a result, I want to know if more people would like to escalate the request. I'm thinking of not buying the expansion because my CPU may get fried if we keep having these cosmetics pushed on us with no way to reduce their impact. I'm wondering how many people that want this feature think the same and instead of simply hoping the same messages result in something, we make a visible statement together which will have a better chance of reaching someone.

I wouldn’t call it an ultimatum, but it definitely does affect my decision to support GW2. The visual clutter that turns combat into a mindless mess, blindingly bright lighting (like PoF and beyond maps with radioactively bright lighting), and flashing lights (from various skills, for example) that hurt my eyes, are some of the biggest reasons I have no interest in spending money in this game, expansion or otherwise.

You know the worst part about polls like this one? If they actually do something about visual effects in the expansion, it would look like (at least to some) that Anet caved in forum demands and "ultimatums" which will open the can of worms. Forums will get flooded with "let's do an ultimatum over xyz, we won't buy the next expansion/gems until xyz is fixed, it worked for cosmetics effects". Fortunately, it doesn't look like many people voted yes

@"maddoctor.2738" said:You know the worst part about polls like this one? If they actually do something about visual effects in the expansion, it would look like (at least to some) that Anet caved in forum demands and "ultimatums" which will open the can of worms. Forums will get flooded with "let's do an ultimatum over xyz, we won't buy the next expansion/gems until xyz is fixed, it worked for cosmetics effects". Fortunately, it doesn't look like many people voted yes

I'm afraid that ship has already sailed as the commonly told story of HoT is that players on the forum demanded harder content.

@DaFishBob.6518 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:You know the worst part about polls like this one? If they actually do something about visual effects in the expansion, it would look like (at least to some) that Anet caved in forum demands and "ultimatums" which will open the can of worms. Forums will get flooded with "let's do an ultimatum over xyz, we won't buy the next expansion/gems until xyz is fixed, it worked for cosmetics effects". Fortunately, it doesn't look like many people voted yes

I'm afraid that ship has already sailed as the commonly told story of HoT is that players on the forum demanded harder content.

You are saying players demanded harder content or they'd leave the game? Publicly, on forum polls?There is one thing to have a discussion over something, providing constructive critisism and concerns, but making actual DEMANDS of the developers on their forums isn't a good idea. I don't think that's an appropriate way to develop a game anyway. By the way I think this game needs an epilepsy warning, the effects are really out of hand and I would love if they fix them. But I won't threaten not to support the game I play/enjoy over something like this.

sure, also foruns have lots of "bubbles" of weird/hyped ideas

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:You know the worst part about polls like this one? If they actually do something about visual effects in the expansion, it would look like (at least to some) that Anet caved in forum demands and "ultimatums" which will open the can of worms. Forums will get flooded with "let's do an ultimatum over xyz, we won't buy the next expansion/gems until xyz is fixed, it worked for cosmetics effects". Fortunately, it doesn't look like many people voted yes

You are saying players demanded harder content or they'd leave the game? Publicly, on forum polls?There is one thing to have a discussion over something, providing constructive critisism and concerns, but making actual DEMANDS of the developers on their forums isn't a good idea. I don't think that's an appropriate way to develop a game anyway. By the way I think this game needs an epilepsy warning, the effects are really out of hand and I would love if they fix them. But I won't threaten not to support the game I play/enjoy over something like this.

Though it may not be to everyone's satisfaction, there is a warning document:https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/seizure-warning-please-read-prior-to-playing/

I think it's pointless to ask for a fraction of the minority of players who visit the forum to agree to boycott only the proportion of flashy effects which are sold in the gem store. That's not going to have any impact, especially since a lot of those who vote yes are going to be the ones who don't buy those things anyway.

The issue goes beyond gem store skins and isn't even entirely about how players choose to dress their characters. We've also got various bosses and skills which produce blinding effects and areas where the lighting effects make it more noticeable. It needs a comprehensive solution, not just a promise that they won't charge us real money for those effects. Ideally some combination of back-end work so the game can handle these effects better and a management decision to tone them down in future, and maybe some work to adjust some of the ones we've already got. A player wearing an infusion and some glowy wings is irrelevant next to a boss who turns about 1/4 of the screen white every few seconds through the battle.

@Danikat.8537 said:I think it's pointless to ask for a fraction of the minority of players who visit the forum to agree to boycott only the proportion of flashy effects which are sold in the gem store. That's not going to have any impact, especially since a lot of those who vote yes are going to be the ones who don't buy those things anyway.

That's the point, if players who vote yes already do not buy flashy effect skins, the only remaining pressure after already purchasing previous expansions is the upcoming expansion. In addition, doing so silently helps no one, neither the players nor Anet, it has to be communicated clearly. Duly noted though about the effectiveness.

@Tyncale.1629 said:I hope you didn't expect a lot of yes votes from this poll. I get visions of a kid holding his breath because he didn't get an ice cream from mum.

I had no expectations, that's exactly why I started a poll instead of going alone with a statement.