Do you want an ultimatum over cosmetic effects? [guess not] — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Do you want an ultimatum over cosmetic effects? [guess not]

DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 3, 2021 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I notice that the topics about cosmetic effects affecting performance and quality of life keep popping up in these discussions. The effects include infusions and equipment with auras and backpacks that always render no matter what settings are taken. With the expansion pack coming, would people here like to come together and declare that they will not purchase the pack unless these cosmetic effects can be manually disabled from rendering? I ask this not simply because I would like to be able to disable them from rendering but to also create a visible message to consider instead of players simply dropping out without notice.

So to reiterate:
Will you demand the option to disable cosmetic effects and decide not to purchase the upcoming expansion pack unless this demand is met?

A week later, a majority of poll participants are not in favor of issuing an ultimatum as only 15 out of 86 poll participants have voted yes. Among those who voted yes, I have noticed are not entirely on board with going as far as an ultimatum. Most responders though agree that an option to tone down effects would be nice to have.

Do you want an ultimatum over cosmetic effects? [guess not] 86 votes

Let's discuss
10%
Makarow.3028The Greyhawk.9107Infusion.7149Curennos.9307Teratus.2859BlackBullWings.2734Tzarakiel.7490Moradorin.6217erthebear.8109 9 votes
Don't Care
20%
Susy.7529Westenev.5289hash.8462Diak Atoli.2085lokh.2695zombyturtle.5980ollbirtan.2915Obfuscate.6430batsymcchicken.5217Deedrick.4372Ayon.9875xoxin.8326SexyMofo.8923neighto.7386Dave.6819NBlizzard.6724QuirkyDM.2351Isometric Decoder.1356 18 votes
Yes
17%
Svarty.8019kurfu.5623Radiobiology.6185AllNightPlayer.1286ParadoX.3124zeedark.1084itsbadcompany.7893DoomNexus.5324MonCroy.7281Ragi.7291Eekasqueak.7850BlueJin.4127DaFishBob.6518Armen.1483The Boz.2038 15 votes
No
51%
maddoctor.2738Pifil.5193Just a flesh wound.3589Fenom.9457Linken.6345Danikat.8537BunjiKugashira.9754DeanBB.4268Donari.5237jokke.6239Inculpatus cedo.9234Ashen.2907Ameepa.6793leila.7962Etienne.3049Witch of Doom.5739Elothar.4382yoni.7015Tyncale.1629Cyninja.2954 44 votes
<1

Comments

  • Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021
    Let's discuss

    It's really only flashy backpacks. It probably has to do with the method of backpack implementation, as the Umbra-sourced CPU culling doesn't seem to cull them properly or drop their quality even if the main character model is turned to basic.

    If you turn animation to low most infusion effects do not show. I don't think that infusion effects are a problem if they are culled properly , although people stacking 6+ different skin effects is excessive sometimes. Specifically in instances with fewer than 25 players (such as fractals, raids, strikes, DRMs, dungeons, PVP), they should not be disabled unless they outright cause a huge frame drop.

    Edit: refer to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cosmetic_aura
    A person in full legendaries* with any form of cosmetic infusion such as Moto's Bauble , Deldrimor Stoneskin , Liquid Aurilium would be over 6 different effects.
    (Vision + Aurora + Coalescence + Conflux + Transcendence + legendary weapon)

  • Tukaram.8256Tukaram.8256 Member ✭✭✭
    No

    I was going to answer 'don't care', because I do not. But for the sake of the poll... I answered 'no'. Because it is not an issue that I have ever noticed enough to care about. It would have absolutely no bearing on my purchasing the expansion, one way or the other - I am buying the expansion - in what ever Deluxe package they offer.

  • No

    I haven’t particularly been bothered by infusions, etc and wouldn’t refuse to buy an expansion on that ground. If ANet were to give an option to disable effects to make other players happy then I have no problem with that.

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

    @Tukaram.8256 said:
    I was going to answer 'don't care', because I do not. But for the sake of the poll... I answered 'no'. Because it is not an issue that I have ever noticed enough to care about. It would have absolutely no bearing on my purchasing the expansion, one way or the other - I am buying the expansion - in what ever Deluxe package they offer.

    What do you mean by this? Do you actually not care one way or the other? Or do you mean you don't care to see an ultimatum? Should I have not put in a don't care option?

  • Tukaram.8256Tukaram.8256 Member ✭✭✭
    No

    @DaFishBob.6518 said:

    @Tukaram.8256 said:
    I was going to answer 'don't care', because I do not. But for the sake of the poll... I answered 'no'. Because it is not an issue that I have ever noticed enough to care about. It would have absolutely no bearing on my purchasing the expansion, one way or the other - I am buying the expansion - in what ever Deluxe package they offer.

    What do you mean by this? Do you actually not care one way or the other? Or do you mean you don't care to see an ultimatum? Should I have not put in a don't care option?

    I mean it is not an issue to me in the least. I do not care about the issue, or the ultimatum. It is not an issue to me in the least. So the 'don't care' option would work... but in regards to the poll/"ultimatum"... 'no' is a better option for me.

    I would be fine with a toggle on anything you want, but my purchase will not be affected in any way by the addition or non-addition of it.

  • DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    I think this is pointless. A fraction of the game's population will see this and then just because they vote yes means nothing. EoD will sell on its own merits.

    X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    I'd be happy with some system be put in place for managing infusions and cosmetic auras in general.

    I don't consider pressuring, whining and/or making bold threats about purchasing or not purchasing a product a reasonable approach.

    EoD will sell on its own merits and I will then decide if I want to spend money on it or not.

  • Yggranya.5201Yggranya.5201 Member ✭✭✭✭

    If i could turn them off, i would, and it would be beautiful. If i don't buy the next expansion, this issue had nothing to do with it.

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

    All right, well the reason I'm asking if we want an ultimatum is due to an often repeated reason that Anet has no financial incentive to allow us to disable cosmetic effects, that they want to make sure everyone see the effects to try and encourage cosmetics sales. I want to see if a sizeable group of players wants to send a message about how upsetting this issue is. So far with 7 no votes to my 1 yes, I guess not.

  • Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Let's discuss

    @DaFishBob.6518 said:
    All right, well the reason I'm asking if we want an ultimatum is due to an often repeated reason that Anet has no financial incentive to allow us to disable cosmetic effects, that they want to make sure everyone see the effects to try and encourage cosmetics sales. I want to see if a sizeable group of players wants to send a message about how upsetting this issue is. So far with 7 no votes to my 1 yes, I guess not.

    An ultimatum is ridiculous. They need to work on visual culling of backpieces (mainly flashy gemstore ones on people not in near field of view), but turning off of legendary trinkets' effects is a highly requested feature even by people that own them. It's a QoL hotfix that could be implemented even in the absence of an expansion.

  • Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    No, because the effects are not the problem. Modern hardware can do ray tracing at 4k yet Guild Wars 2 doesn't manage a few effects without dipping to unplayable?
    This game needs an engine upgrade ASAP, if not before, then after EOD comes out. That's the only thing it's going to fix the effect problems, and with an engine upgrade, they will probably be more balanced visually or added options to disable. That cannot happen without an upgrade though, and an upgrade is needed to optimise performance. Especially on older hardware.

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

    @Infusion.7149 said:

    @DaFishBob.6518 said:
    All right, well the reason I'm asking if we want an ultimatum is due to an often repeated reason that Anet has no financial incentive to allow us to disable cosmetic effects, that they want to make sure everyone see the effects to try and encourage cosmetics sales. I want to see if a sizeable group of players wants to send a message about how upsetting this issue is. So far with 7 no votes to my 1 yes, I guess not.

    An ultimatum is ridiculous. They need to work on visual culling of backpieces (mainly flashy gemstore ones on people not in near field of view), but turning off of legendary trinkets' effects is a highly requested feature even by people that own them. It's a QoL hotfix that could be implemented even in the absence of an expansion.

    That is what I'm hoping for yet for some reason they have yet to make this change. As a result, I want to know if more people would like to escalate the request. I'm thinking of not buying the expansion because my CPU may get fried if we keep having these cosmetics pushed on us with no way to reduce their impact. I'm wondering how many people that want this feature think the same and instead of simply hoping the same messages result in something, we make a visible statement together which will have a better chance of reaching someone.

  • BlueJin.4127BlueJin.4127 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021
    Yes

    I wouldn’t call it an ultimatum, but it definitely does affect my decision to support GW2. The visual clutter that turns combat into a mindless mess, blindingly bright lighting (like PoF and beyond maps with radioactively bright lighting), and flashing lights (from various skills, for example) that hurt my eyes, are some of the biggest reasons I have no interest in spending money in this game, expansion or otherwise.

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

    Is the word ultimatum too strong? I just thought it was a good word to describe the statement, that there's a group of players saying that "we want this otherwise we will do that."

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    You know the worst part about polls like this one? If they actually do something about visual effects in the expansion, it would look like (at least to some) that Anet caved in forum demands and "ultimatums" which will open the can of worms. Forums will get flooded with "let's do an ultimatum over xyz, we won't buy the next expansion/gems until xyz is fixed, it worked for cosmetics effects". Fortunately, it doesn't look like many people voted yes

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    You know the worst part about polls like this one? If they actually do something about visual effects in the expansion, it would look like (at least to some) that Anet caved in forum demands and "ultimatums" which will open the can of worms. Forums will get flooded with "let's do an ultimatum over xyz, we won't buy the next expansion/gems until xyz is fixed, it worked for cosmetics effects". Fortunately, it doesn't look like many people voted yes

    I'm afraid that ship has already sailed as the commonly told story of HoT is that players on the forum demanded harder content.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    @DaFishBob.6518 said:

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    You know the worst part about polls like this one? If they actually do something about visual effects in the expansion, it would look like (at least to some) that Anet caved in forum demands and "ultimatums" which will open the can of worms. Forums will get flooded with "let's do an ultimatum over xyz, we won't buy the next expansion/gems until xyz is fixed, it worked for cosmetics effects". Fortunately, it doesn't look like many people voted yes

    I'm afraid that ship has already sailed as the commonly told story of HoT is that players on the forum demanded harder content.

    You are saying players demanded harder content or they'd leave the game? Publicly, on forum polls?
    There is one thing to have a discussion over something, providing constructive critisism and concerns, but making actual DEMANDS of the developers on their forums isn't a good idea. I don't think that's an appropriate way to develop a game anyway. By the way I think this game needs an epilepsy warning, the effects are really out of hand and I would love if they fix them. But I won't threaten not to support the game I play/enjoy over something like this.

  • ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    You know the worst part about polls like this one? If they actually do something about visual effects in the expansion, it would look like (at least to some) that Anet caved in forum demands and "ultimatums" which will open the can of worms. Forums will get flooded with "let's do an ultimatum over xyz, we won't buy the next expansion/gems until xyz is fixed, it worked for cosmetics effects". Fortunately, it doesn't look like many people voted yes

    sure, also foruns have lots of "bubbles" of weird/hyped ideas

    -- Atlantean Sword --
    The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts..." [Points to sword] "This you can trust."

  • No

    @maddoctor.2738 said:

    @DaFishBob.6518 said:

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    You know the worst part about polls like this one? If they actually do something about visual effects in the expansion, it would look like (at least to some) that Anet caved in forum demands and "ultimatums" which will open the can of worms. Forums will get flooded with "let's do an ultimatum over xyz, we won't buy the next expansion/gems until xyz is fixed, it worked for cosmetics effects". Fortunately, it doesn't look like many people voted yes

    I'm afraid that ship has already sailed as the commonly told story of HoT is that players on the forum demanded harder content.

    You are saying players demanded harder content or they'd leave the game? Publicly, on forum polls?
    There is one thing to have a discussion over something, providing constructive critisism and concerns, but making actual DEMANDS of the developers on their forums isn't a good idea. I don't think that's an appropriate way to develop a game anyway. By the way I think this game needs an epilepsy warning, the effects are really out of hand and I would love if they fix them. But I won't threaten not to support the game I play/enjoy over something like this.

    Though it may not be to everyone's satisfaction, there is a warning document:
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/seizure-warning-please-read-prior-to-playing/

  • No

    No, I like everything

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    I think it's pointless to ask for a fraction of the minority of players who visit the forum to agree to boycott only the proportion of flashy effects which are sold in the gem store. That's not going to have any impact, especially since a lot of those who vote yes are going to be the ones who don't buy those things anyway.

    The issue goes beyond gem store skins and isn't even entirely about how players choose to dress their characters. We've also got various bosses and skills which produce blinding effects and areas where the lighting effects make it more noticeable. It needs a comprehensive solution, not just a promise that they won't charge us real money for those effects. Ideally some combination of back-end work so the game can handle these effects better and a management decision to tone them down in future, and maybe some work to adjust some of the ones we've already got. A player wearing an infusion and some glowy wings is irrelevant next to a boss who turns about 1/4 of the screen white every few seconds through the battle.

    Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

    "Life's a journey, not a destination."

  • Tyncale.1629Tyncale.1629 Member ✭✭✭
    No

    I hope you didn't expect a lot of yes votes from this poll. I get visions of a kid holding his breath because he didn't get an ice cream from mum.

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

    @Danikat.8537 said:
    I think it's pointless to ask for a fraction of the minority of players who visit the forum to agree to boycott only the proportion of flashy effects which are sold in the gem store. That's not going to have any impact, especially since a lot of those who vote yes are going to be the ones who don't buy those things anyway.

    That's the point, if players who vote yes already do not buy flashy effect skins, the only remaining pressure after already purchasing previous expansions is the upcoming expansion. In addition, doing so silently helps no one, neither the players nor Anet, it has to be communicated clearly. Duly noted though about the effectiveness.

    @Tyncale.1629 said:
    I hope you didn't expect a lot of yes votes from this poll. I get visions of a kid holding his breath because he didn't get an ice cream from mum.

    I had no expectations, that's exactly why I started a poll instead of going alone with a statement.

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021

    For the purposes of your poll question ‘No’ and ‘Don’t Care’ are the same answer.

    If you ‘don’t care’ you won’t give an ultimatum.

    Thank You for the {MEME}

  • Sylvyn.4750Sylvyn.4750 Member ✭✭✭

    Is this a game engine issue or a computer hardware issue? I was going to quip something like "get a better graphics card" so the CPU isn't throttling performance at 1080p, but then I realized the state of supply/demand we are in affecting CPU and GPU availability....

  • No

    Will you demand the option to disable cosmetic effects and decide not to purchase the upcoming expansion pack unless this demand is met?

    No. No, I don't think I will.
    I don't have many legendary trinkets that could cause such clutter and my PC isn't bothered by a few people dressing up as christmas trees. Also I kinda want to play the next expansion. Would I delay buying the expansion by x amount of time for this issue? Also no. To me this is such a minor issue that it has 0 effect on my purchase.

    Bugtracker: Costume Brawl, Sunqua Clouds
    Announcementtracker: Alliances, Legendary Armory

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021
    Yes

    @Strider Pj.2193 said:
    For the purposes of your poll question ‘No’ and ‘Don’t Care’ are the same answer.

    If you ‘don’t care’ you won’t give an ultimatum.

    I suppose you're right about the 'No' and 'Don't Care' options, I kind of figured that most polls have that option like 'potato' that just doesn't matter so I should include one too.

    @Sylvyn.4750 said:
    Is this a game engine issue or a computer hardware issue? I was going to quip something like "get a better graphics card" so the CPU isn't throttling performance at 1080p, but then I realized the state of supply/demand we are in affecting CPU and GPU availability....

    A lot of people are claiming it's a game engine issue, overusing the CPU and leaving the GPU largely unused in comparison. I could see this being the case but for now I see disabling cosmetic effects as an easy solution for when people don't have the hardware to handle them.

  • No

    I'm not sure threatening (or attempting to threaten) ArenaNet is the best approach to a desired outcome.

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    I'm not sure threatening (or attempting to threaten) ArenaNet is the best approach to a desired outcome.

    Maybe not but I don't see the current approach getting us closer to getting this kind of feature so I feel like that just leaves escalating communications or dropping out of the game.

  • Moradorin.6217Moradorin.6217 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021
    Let's discuss

    I dont have major issues with infusions and backpacks so much. Its the skill and other game-play particle effects which are not reduced well by settings and turning off post process, shadows, etc creates new visual issues like some areas become too bright while others are too dark with certain lighting and shading off.

    That is if I want to turn off infusion effects as far as I know I can force my system to show simple models and get rid of that (if not maybe it should or have a checkbox for it).
    I would also like it is somehow I could still see targets, targeting better which is often obscured from all the effects spam from players armor, skills and the env combined.

    That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    Particle effects are nothing that would stop me from buying the expansion.

    Arenanet releasing a retail version of EoD is the only factor that decides whether I buy EoD or drop the game.

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DaFishBob.6518 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    I'm not sure threatening (or attempting to threaten) ArenaNet is the best approach to a desired outcome.

    Maybe not but I don't see the current approach getting us closer to getting this kind of feature so I feel like that just leaves escalating communications or dropping out of the game.

    Ahh. So you’ve tried out sPvP and WvW..,

    Thank You for the {MEME}

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

    @Moradorin.6217 said:
    That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

    This deserves a helpful.

  • Hesione.9412Hesione.9412 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Veprovina.4876 said:
    No, because the effects are not the problem. Modern hardware can do ray tracing at 4k yet Guild Wars 2 doesn't manage a few effects without dipping to unplayable?
    This game needs an engine upgrade ASAP, if not before, then after EOD comes out. That's the only thing it's going to fix the effect problems, and with an engine upgrade, they will probably be more balanced visually or added options to disable. That cannot happen without an upgrade though, and an upgrade is needed to optimise performance. Especially on older hardware.

    It's not just the problem with fps. It's also the problem that my eyes bleed from all the effects. That I can't see NPC telegraphs because of all the effects. That I can't see red circles on the ground because of all the effects. Moving to a better engine, and increasing my fps, isn't going to fix that problem.

    I have post processing on minimum and it's still a problem. I have reduced character numbers and it is still a problem. How many options do I have to set to low or turn off in order to not see all the effects?

    I have not encountered any other game that has this amount of avoidable, cosmetic-only visual clutter.

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    Ultimatums most never work in most places in life and are typically manipulative. No one wants to be forced to do anything for any reason. Its a typical power play move of people that are fed up or feel out of control.

    It would take an inordinate amount of people to feel the same way you do to make anet even consider this. As people have suggested there are better ways to handle the cosmetic effects. I know nothing has been mentioned by anet about this but I believe that they have something brewing like an effects tab or whatnot. I personally don't mind people showing off their creative side. I personally would love to turn off the 7 orbs floating above my characters head.

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DaFishBob.6518 said:
    I notice that the topics about cosmetic effects affecting performance and quality of life keep popping up in these discussions. The effects include infusions and equipment with auras and backpacks that always render no matter what settings are taken. With the expansion pack coming, would people here like to come together and declare that they will not purchase the pack unless these cosmetic effects can be manually disabled from rendering? I ask this not simply because I would like to be able to disable them from rendering but to also create a visible message to consider instead of players simply dropping out without notice.

    So to reiterate:
    Will you demand the option to disable cosmetic effects and decide not to purchase the upcoming expansion pack unless this demand is met?

    can we have a "lol" option to vote for please?

    "We recognize that some players are not able to complete all content." Gaile Gray 01.10.19

  • Moradorin.6217Moradorin.6217 Member ✭✭✭
    Let's discuss

    @DaFishBob.6518 said:

    @Moradorin.6217 said:
    That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

    This deserves a helpful.

    If you havn't yet, turning Bloom down to under 10% or even off in the same overlay will help allot too with glare off peoples infusions, skill effects, and scenery in game.

    I keep highlights low/off and bloom, then I tweaked contrast, and clarity up a little and thats about it. I play in Ultra mode settings so all post process, Shadows etc on highest so I still see allot of effects, but the game looks pretty at least and the glare isnt so crazy bad.

  • BlueJin.4127BlueJin.4127 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021
    Yes

    @Moradorin.6217 said:
    That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

    I tried nvidia filter after reading this, and reshade some time ago. Unfortunately, neither were satisfactory for me. These seem like they're just overlays and can't actually change the effects themselves. It's basically like walking into an extremely bright room and putting on a pair of sunglasses. Sure, the lights are not as bright, but it darkens everything you see through the sunglasses. For example, when I turn down the highlights in nvidia filter so that the grass in Dragonfall's Melandru area doesn't look so radioactively bright, all it does is darken all bright colors on my monitor. Sure, the grass is not as bright, but now my UI is discolored, too, along with everything else. There was just no way to adjust the actual effect itself without affecting all other similar colors.

  • Let's discuss

    The philosophy I have is people are free to look like Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade floats all they want. Making an understated consistent look is more distinctive in that environment.

  • Moradorin.6217Moradorin.6217 Member ✭✭✭
    Let's discuss

    @BlueJin.4127 said:

    @Moradorin.6217 said:
    That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

    I tried nvidia filter after reading this, and reshade some time ago. Unfortunately, neither were satisfactory for me. These seem like they're just overlays and can't actually change the effects themselves. It's basically like walking into an extremely bright room and putting on a pair of sunglasses. Sure, the lights are not as bright, but it darkens everything you see through the sunglasses. For example, when I turn down the highlights in nvidia filter so that the grass in Dragonfall's Melandru area doesn't look so radioactively bright, all it does is darken all bright colors on my monitor. Sure, the grass is not as bright, but now my UI is discolored, too, along with everything else. There was just no way to adjust the lighting itself without affecting all other similar colors.

    Yea the understand what you mean. Its not a total fix. But I do find that turning off bloom alone makes a HUGE difference and really is just removing a blurring effect that brightens highlights (no color, contrast, etc changes) The other I do is to turn off or down highlights, then I think I tweaked Gama, contrast, sharpness to get the overall contrast, detail, brightness the way I personally think I like it. I didnt change coloring or most other things. I do admit tho it doesn't resolve my issue of not being able to see through effect spam on targets some times and effect layering covering up targeting or other similar issues. It does help me eyes a bit though.

  • Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    I play way zoomed out to avoid motion sickness so it's not like I can see much detail anyway. Plus, well, I'm pretty sure calling for a boycott (which this suggestion essentially is doing) is frowned upon by the moderators.

    Would I like clearer views of what's going on? Sure. Will I refuse to buy the expansion if things stay as they are? Nope!

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021
    Yes

    @Infusion.7149 said:
    It's really only flashy backpacks. It probably has to do with the method of backpack implementation, as the Umbra-sourced CPU culling doesn't seem to cull them properly or drop their quality even if the main character model is turned to basic.

    If you turn animation to low most infusion effects do not show. I don't think that infusion effects are a problem if they are culled properly , although people stacking 6+ different skin effects is excessive sometimes. Specifically in instances with fewer than 25 players (such as fractals, raids, strikes, DRMs, dungeons, PVP), they should not be disabled unless they outright cause a huge frame drop.

    Edit: refer to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cosmetic_aura
    A person in full legendaries* with any form of cosmetic infusion such as Moto's Bauble , Deldrimor Stoneskin , Liquid Aurilium would be over 6 different effects.
    (Vision + Aurora + Coalescence + Conflux + Transcendence + legendary weapon)

    Hmm, seems you're right that most infusion effects do get hidden when everything is turned low. The only effect I could really see is the outline effect from some of the reverberating infusions. Still wish I could shut off my own though.

  • Crackmonster.2790Crackmonster.2790 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021

    @BlueJin.4127 said:

    @Moradorin.6217 said:
    That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

    I tried nvidia filter after reading this, and reshade some time ago. Unfortunately, neither were satisfactory for me. These seem like they're just overlays and can't actually change the effects themselves. It's basically like walking into an extremely bright room and putting on a pair of sunglasses. Sure, the lights are not as bright, but it darkens everything you see through the sunglasses. For example, when I turn down the highlights in nvidia filter so that the grass in Dragonfall's Melandru area doesn't look so radioactively bright, all it does is darken all bright colors on my monitor. Sure, the grass is not as bright, but now my UI is discolored, too, along with everything else. There was just no way to adjust the actual effect itself without affecting all other similar colors.

    There is, it just takes a LOT of tinkering to come out with a preset that minimizes any potential negative outcomes of color adjustments, for a net very positive effect. For example, you can fiddle with contrast/brightness/gamma settings to change the balance of dark/light areas to the balance you like, it doesn't have to be that when you tone down the top lights all the shaded areas are max dark. You can drastically reduce the fog and subsequently the blue that will arise from it with a lot of tinkering too. You can also lower the saturation of colors to take some of the thickness of it out so it's not so overwhelming for the eyes. I know most released presets still fall for those things, but that's only because they haven't put enough effort into them.

    I have been working the last 2 weeks on a preset like over 50h in raw tinkering swapping zones making adjustments.. like 12h work on it today lol. I can't even see anymore my eyes are so tired i can't focused them from working for this for days on end. And i'm getting there.. maybe i will release it tomorrow if i wake up and dont feel adjustments shoul be made. But i definitely found something that works for me better than any other preset i've tested and with effort i have been able to tackle any problems ive had so far in color imbalances to a high degree of satisfaction.

  • Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don't Care

    Not buying the expac specifically because someones backpack is a little shiny is a bit of a nuclear response, isn't it?

  • DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

    @Westenev.5289 said:
    Not buying the expac specifically because someones backpack is a little shiny is a bit of a nuclear response, isn't it?

    Well if that backpack on a bunch of someones causes a CPU to go nuclear, I think it'd be rational to drop the game in which case buying the expac wouldn't make much sense.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021

    A lot of the players tend to make empty claims so while you may get a lot who say they wouldn't buy the expansion until there's a way to hide special effects, the vast majority would still buy it. While excessive special effects can get annoying at time, I don't believe that it's really a large enough issue for people to forego new content. Depending on how long they hold off on buying the expansion, this can set them back significantly, as well as make it more difficult to complete content tied to groups, as people have undoubtedly experienced with LS and PoF content.

  • Tukaram.8256Tukaram.8256 Member ✭✭✭
    No

    I would like to see more toggle controls for UI and animations. But it is not a game changer, just would be nice.
    Making the UI more resizable and drag & drop is far more important to me than shiny players - but I would not quit over the UI either. Still buying the Deluxe version of the expansion as soon as I can.

  • Mortifera.6138Mortifera.6138 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    Fix the framerate issues, but do not allow toggling off of other people’s cosmetics. This game would die in a heartbeat if people realized their shinies weren’t visible to others.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Let's discuss

    I will absolutely be buying the next expansion regardless of this subject.

    That said, yes I would support an option to toggle off certain effects on other players.

    Sorry but i'm not sorry about that.. when I play this game and I see these horrendously ugly character that are walking around with a million effects on them it ruins my immersion into this game world.

    I don't care how hard you worked for your shinies and I don't care if you love looking like your armour is made out of multi coloured high intensity lights.
    I am not taking anything away from you, you still get to look how you please to yourself on your own screen.
    But I am saying that others who dislike your choice in fashion should have the option not to look at it on their screens if they choose, especially if your shinies are actively hurting their experience via performance.

  • Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    @Hesione.9412 said:

    @Veprovina.4876 said:
    No, because the effects are not the problem. Modern hardware can do ray tracing at 4k yet Guild Wars 2 doesn't manage a few effects without dipping to unplayable?
    This game needs an engine upgrade ASAP, if not before, then after EOD comes out. That's the only thing it's going to fix the effect problems, and with an engine upgrade, they will probably be more balanced visually or added options to disable. That cannot happen without an upgrade though, and an upgrade is needed to optimise performance. Especially on older hardware.

    It's not just the problem with fps. It's also the problem that my eyes bleed from all the effects. That I can't see NPC telegraphs because of all the effects. That I can't see red circles on the ground because of all the effects. Moving to a better engine, and increasing my fps, isn't going to fix that problem.

    I have post processing on minimum and it's still a problem. I have reduced character numbers and it is still a problem. How many options do I have to set to low or turn off in order to not see all the effects?

    I have not encountered any other game that has this amount of avoidable, cosmetic-only visual clutter.

    No, i know, but my hope is that, when they upgrade the engine, they'll implement some more visual control options.
    Because right now, i think they literally can't tone down the effects. It's like they're baked in, and uncontrollable by even the programmers at Anet!
    That's why i said engine upgrade. And i don't necesarily mean a different engine, but i think they need to do something to the current one to even enable effects scaling. Because right now, every effect is on 100% full blast 100% of the time. Maybe they could upgrade it so that if idk, X effects are on screen, all of them have less intensity or whatever, don't know the solution. But it would certainly help with FPS as well.