Every time it is the same ....

Ryouzanpaku.1273

Mesmer was my first toon when GW2 started 5 years ago.Chronomancer was my first HoT toon too.And in PoF I have tried Mirage as the first one again.And every time it is the same - it is soooo much fun to play it for some time.... till I will try any other class and see how much effort it costs me to be effective (and even less effective) as Mesmer then any other class. :(

@OriOri.8724 said:Yup. Mesmer was my first class, and I got it to 80 before I even made a second character. Had no idea that leveling was so much easier on other classes, especially for someone who didn't understand the combat system that well at the time

Hmm, that's not entirely accurate. My first profession is the Thief and it's a steep learning curve. Also, the Thief forum was filled with players asking for help on how to play it effectively.

Every class forum was filled with people asking for help on the old forums. And I can say that thief was easier to level, because it did so much fucking damage just from its auto attacks compared to mesmer. Was the learning curve to be effective steeper? Debateable. But one thing is for sure, and that's that thief had significantly higher damage, which is all that matters when leveling in open world PvE

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:Yup. Mesmer was my first class, and I got it to 80 before I even made a second character. Had no idea that
leveling was so much easier on other classes
, especially for someone who didn't understand the combat system that well at the time

Hmm, that's not entirely accurate. My first profession is the Thief and it's a steep learning curve. Also, the Thief forum was filled with players asking for help on how to play it effectively.

Thief was quite easy to level, was my 3rd class after warrior (first) and mesmer (2nd). Took about less than 30 minutes to realise that Sword+Pistol (remember, this was 1 month post release) was the way to go. I know, many players were all about dagger 2 spam back then and were complaining about it. Their own fault when they never bothered to check what weaponskills are available.

Perma blind from Pistol 5 was enough to take on everything but dredge in core Tyria. Sword had nice movement, good damage and cleave.

As far as getting to 80 back then, pure breez. Now effectively playing a thief and mastering the class, that's a different topic.

@Ryouzanpaku.1273 said:Mesmer was my first toon when GW2 started 5 years ago.Chronomancer was my first HoT toon too.And in PoF I have tried Mirage as the first one again.And every time it is the same - it is soooo much fun to play it for some time.... till I will try any other class and see how much effort it costs me to be effective (and even less effective) as Mesmer then any other class. :(

Depends what you will use it for mirage isnt so mu trouble ( in the open world)

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:Yup. Mesmer was my first class, and I got it to 80 before I even made a second character. Had no idea that
leveling was so much easier on other classes
, especially for someone who didn't understand the combat system that well at the time

Thief was quite easy to level, was my 3rd class after warrior (first) and mesmer (2nd). Took about less than 30 minutes to realise that Sword+Pistol (remember, this was 1 month post release) was the way to go. I know, many players were all about dagger 2 spam back then and were complaining about it. Their own fault when they never bothered to check what weaponskills are available.

lol, that's exactly my point. Something easy to do like spam Dagger #2 and not getting the intended result means that there is a learning curve. Managing the initiative, dodging/evading, stealth, timing shadowstep -- are not very straightforward. To get those to work optimally requires players to climb a steep curve.

Perma blind from Pistol 5 was enough to take on everything but dredge in core Tyria. Sword had nice movement, good damage and cleave.

As far as getting to 80 back then, pure breez. Now effectively playing a thief and mastering the class, that's a different topic.

My point is, other professions, like the Thief, is not so much easier than Mesmer. There were a lot of players complaining in the Thief forum that they died too many times as a Thief. I'm sure other profession's forum has the same complaints.

In my opinion, the only reason why other professions seem easier only because after reaching level 80 with your Mesmer (or other professions), you already know what you're doing and you have a better understanding of the game's mechanics.

I mean the original comment was about how leveling the mesmer was more difficult/less fun than it was for other professions, not about how hard it was to master the class. Its significantly easier to level a thief, especially after the ridiculous buffs to their auto attacks, than it is to level a mesmer.

Archived