Worth making Mesmer as a 2nd as a Thief main?

Tridentuk.1625

I'm trying to think of a 2nd main to have because thief tends to be quite niche at times and I want to enjoy as much of GW2 as possible (I also just have to get around to using all of the classes eventually to learn for PVP purposes). The two playstyles I liked the look of most when deciding were thief and mesmer, however I want to make sure that mesmer can fill in the gaps where thief can't so I don't have too many overlaps where I'm just going to decide to run thief anyway (both in terms of content type and role).

I mean ideally if I wanted to play something very different that could fill most of the gaps I'd pick Guardian but I just don't find it satisfying to play. My main priorities are evasiveness for outplays and mobility, and I don't think I've ever played a paladin type in any game ever. Even when I used to play melee carries in Dota it used to be guys like Sven or PA.

So my central question is: does mesmer fill in the gaps for thief? To give an example, can it play meta roles in fractals and such that thief cannot offer, or meta roles in WvW zergs, and then also more teamfight oriented roles in PVP? Does it offer these things in a way that thief can't?

@Tridentuk.1625 said:Thanks. That's all i needed to know.Will look elsewhere although I would like to try mesmer some time in the future.

Oh for sure! Definitely check and see if they end up remedying the Mesmer profession as a whole and if they come out with a unique E-Spec for us when EoD comes out later this year. But until then, yeah I definitely would invest your time in other professions. :)

@Tridentuk.1625 said:I'm trying to think of a 2nd main to have because thief tends to be quite niche at times and I want to enjoy as much of GW2 as possible (I also just have to get around to using all of the classes eventually to learn for PVP purposes). The two playstyles I liked the look of most when deciding were thief and mesmer, however I want to make sure that mesmer can fill in the gaps where thief can't so I don't have too many overlaps where I'm just going to decide to run thief anyway (both in terms of content type and role).

I mean ideally if I wanted to play something very different that could fill most of the gaps I'd pick Guardian but I just don't find it satisfying to play. My main priorities are evasiveness for outplays and mobility, and I don't think I've ever played a paladin type in any game ever. Even when I used to play melee carries in Dota it used to be guys like Sven or PA.

So my central question is: does mesmer fill in the gaps for thief? To give an example, can it play meta roles in fractals and such that thief cannot offer, or meta roles in WvW zergs, and then also more teamfight oriented roles in PVP? Does it offer these things in a way that thief can't?

I would recommend ranger, amazing fractals, amazing raids both condi, hybrid, power and support. and in pvp its not too bad not too good.different playstyle from thief. might struggle in wvw large-scale ( I dont play large scale ) but heard druid is OK there too, so its good all around with some amazing things.Next would be guard.Broken as fuck in every game-mode. Anets chosen.

This question was asked before and my answer has not changed :What do yu expect out of Mesmer, while yu mention being a Thief main?

If being sneaky and an assassin is yur gimmick, I'm sorry to break it to yu but no matter what yu play, it won't fit into a Zerg well at all.Mesmers are popular for zerging, but not usually as DPS, but as supports.

If yu are simply looking for another class to play while yu can't play Thief effectively (like zergs), yu would find Mesmer worthwhile.If yu are finding a class to DPS in Melee in Zergs, I would recommend something like Frontline Ranger or Frontline Warrior.

Let me enforce this again : if yu are looking for an assassin in a zerg, yu wouldn't have a fun time.At most yu would be skirting the edges of the main fight, picking off tail and killing people trying to rejoin, but then again, Thief can and already does that.

@Yasai.3549I want something to cover zerging and fracs/raids near the top of the meta (meaning it's something useful enough that some LFG groups will actually post for it) without it being a complete yawn fest like Guardian is to me. I don't mind playing support as long as it has some fun mechanics- mesmer definitely seems like it has the fun mechanics down at least. Fracs and raids are really the priority since I'm having a decent amount of fun playing thief in wvw and I have yet to try the pole dancer build which looks like great fun.

That's kind of how I play thief right now, skirting round the zerg looking for gank targets or looking for small skirmishes. While fun for me, like you say it's not exactly ideal in terms of impact.

@Tridentuk.1625 said:@Yasai.3549I want something to cover zerging and fracs/raids near the top of the meta (meaning it's something useful enough that some LFG groups will actually post for it) without it being a complete yawn fest like Guardian is to me. I don't mind playing support as long as it has some fun mechanics- mesmer definitely seems like it has the fun mechanics down at least. Fracs and raids are really the priority since I'm having a decent amount of fun playing thief in wvw and I have yet to try the pole dancer build which looks like great fun.

That's kind of how I play thief right now, skirting round the zerg looking for gank targets or looking for small skirmishes. While fun for me, like you say it's not exactly ideal in terms of impact.

As for fractals, don't even try mesmer. Maybe at first levels it will work out but as soon as you get into CMS you won't be willing to play mesmer (neither dps nor support), it is just bad in fractals, nobody will ever search for a mesmer in fractals it is the least efficient class for fractals you will ever find. Literally any other profession will work better there. Noboydy cares about pulling mobs there, other classes can do better. Chrono dps has a terribly slow burst and chrono support is just... not for fractals anymore, it works with druid that is out of meta now there too. So yeah, mesmer for fractals is worse than thief in all terms.For raids mesmers are gods, you can go for it. Just don't look at the metabattle "diviner support" builds, they are pretty outdated and bad. The only viable support capability of mesmer in raids is sharing quickness and tanking (still guard does it better sometimes). Apart from that chrono and mirage are both amazing DPS choices for raids contrary to fractals (mirage can still work in CM100 fractal, but only and only there).There is no "paladin type" or other type playstyle (different from estetics) in gw2 endgame PVE content, it doesn't work like that. You will be meleeing everything and every time no matter what class you play. For example with longbow ranger you will always be shooting your arrows point-blank. That is how it is. So if you don't like guardian in general it is understandable, but if you don't like that guardian is a "paladin" that is not understandable. It is kinda the same in WvW you stack to get boons/heals etc. So you are with the group, meleeing is always better for damage than being at range. Fights are designed like that. Mechanics happen near bosses, so if you were able to be away and be a sneaky "sniper" while being away from mechanics the game would seem boring to you. So choosing a class for PVE, don't concentrate on that paladin/assassin type of thinking, this is not Dota, this is Guild Wars 2 !!! It is a unique game with unique playstyle and plays differently than other games.I play all professions and all are fun in their way. I got my preferences, but they are personal and will be different for everyone. But one thing I can say for sure as long as for end game PVE content there are no "assassins, paladins, mages" etc... There are supports, direct damage and condition damage based builds. All of them are different. As a common rule some support classes are too meta to be changed, while DPS classes can be swapped for another with no big difference. Playstyle difference comes from the rotations and skill types. There are easy or difficult, pleasant or unpleasant rotations. But there is no a "sneaky" or "evasive" rotations for PVE, it just doesn't work like that even for thief that has many dodges. Thief is usually not the best DPS choice for raids or fractals. However there is a raid boss where thief can efficently do a certain mechanic that needs some teleports and back. It is useful to have thief kiters there, but again it is not for being evasive, but using a strong skill that only thief has. Other than that, whatever class you chose, it will bring something, at least DPS.And to answer your question. Every class brings something unique to fill gaps. Yes guardian fills most gaps. And guardian is a paladin only estetically and in lore, not in gameplay.

@Armen.1483Thanks,I just think "screw it" I'll stick with thief to complete regular fractals and raids. My original plan was to have 3 different characters so I could be meta in all game modes but I'm starting to realise I'm still quite far away from hitting a wall where that's actually very important yet.

This is my thing- whenever I get into anything new I dive at it and try to learn everything as fast as possible, when actually I still have a lot of natural progression left to do.