No option to ask to get the message.

Mithras.2805

Can someone explain to me why there is no option to get a query whether I want to receive a message or even an email from someone from other servers. It would rule out junk taunts from other players. I like roaming on WvW. I have no problem that someone kills me or jumps on me. Players who write silly and often unpleasant messages are very annoying. There are even those who can do it by e-mail after being blocked. I proposed something necessary to separate the normal players from the toxic ones.

I see I have to repeat myself. I have nothing to jump on a corpse or any kind of behavior the character might perform. I do not want to read spam, an example of which I will not give. Not even that first message or e-mail. I know I'm not the only one irritating this. I don't do it myself, and I'd like it from this game. So don't overload the topic with examples just that the idea is okay or not. Destroy the bad behavior before it starts. What can be done with a character and what can be written are two different things. And don't put the two together as one.

You know, I don't know if it will do anything, but there is a greater chance that this type of topic will have a lot of interest and maybe something will change than blocking other people and exchanging examples. I do not mean that you can not send messages, or receive only from, for example, friends, but that you can decide whether it will be displayed. You can even go further and with that, be able to block someone before any message has been received. It is easy to distinguish from whom it comes. Especially at WvW. Trading works in a similar way in many games. Even in GW1 it worked similarly. The player should decide whether or not to receive the message. Reacting to an offending message is not a decision but an irritating duty.

So you want a filter that only "friends" can message you in an MMO because you get some bad mouth whispers/mails every now an then that you don't want to see? So if someone wanted to ask what build you're running or simply compliment you on a good fight they wouldn't be able to because you're so paranoid of getting an offensive message? Not bashing but maybe you shouldn't be playing an MMO that has any form of a competitive mode...

see, that's the benefits of groupplay. even if i kill over 2000 players in one week, chance is small that they rage-pm me since i mostly am dropping my wells onto their heads next to 30 other people at least.

i play each matchup, nearly every day, for average three hours, barely ever to never got this "toxic messsages" (maybe ten times in three years).

and if i don't feel discussing with someone enraged, i have a quick block button finger, my list is over 50 people i think.

btw i'm not sure how they'd get your e-mail account name to message you there. might be just a fishing spam mail that by chance looked suitable?

Fish.2769
I see you haven't even tried to read it. Read it again and I hope you understand this time.kamikharzeeh.8016I asked for no personal stories. Believe me, although it is rare, there are people who can send an in-game email with malicious content.

I proposed a solution that would make it impossible to send a malicious message to a player from the opposite server. A system similar to that often used in trading with other MMO games. A solution where only malicious players lose. I still don't see any real argument against such a system at WvW.There are so many ways to humiliate another player after losing, and sending messages is the dirty one that normal players don't deserve.This would be proof that GW2 is evolving and has a system that blocks rude players.

Though most has been said....Set yourself to offline, you can't get PMs from anyone then. They can only mail you, mail is game wide and open for anyone not on your block list, because not being able to send mail to someone offline, would kinda kill the point. However, you can block them as soon as they do, if they are taking the effort to mail you after a fight, you should smile, because you annoyed them enough to not just PM you, which is super easy, but for them to take the time to block you, PM you, find out you are offline, then open mail, type out your name and send you QQ msg...

Maybe it's the troll in me, but those are highlights of my day and always give me a good laugh.

Another thing, if you block someone and they get on another account to PM/Mail you again, is considered harassment, as you have already taken the effort to block them and they are "block evading", which anet will take action on, so if people are doing this, be sure to screen cap both accounts and msgs and open a ticket, not just in game report.

Another note; some of the trolls I have run into have become in game friends, and some people I have trolled as well. Some people really are salty, others are just doing it because they are bored. So don't write everyone off because they might troll around or might have had a bad day and are just venting to some random person in a game. I had this reminder myself a few months ago when someone PMed me in anger, and BMed me after I lost a 1vsX with them. I shot something back at them and we went back and forth but I kept it calm. After a few mins, they actually said they really should not have lashed out etc etc, I said it's all good, everyone has rough days, we dueled a bit and now they are on my friends list.

That aside, having the option for "contacts only" I don't think would hurt anything and would allow you to still send and receive to people you might know on other servers/links, and would work across PM and mail. It would also help with spam gold sellers etc etc in town, I can't really see much of a negative on at least giving the option.

As I stated in the other thread, why post it in WvW?

This is a game mechanic.
You aren’t going to get many ‘supportive’ responses in the PvP or the WvW section.

Most of us who frequent those sections have little problem with in game messages or mail. In fact, many of us find it... humorous. You will find much more support in the general discussion section as, again, it’s a game wide mechanic

You are wrong in saying that this is the game mechanics. It is an underdeveloped system where you cannot write to people from another server. Because I'm sorry, but combining with blocking, and then changing to a friend just to write something to someone. Only the desperate are capable of this. And sorry, but for a handful of people you can talk to on WvW from other servers, there is a whole legion of people who only want to insult and spit their griefs on whispering. Both me and many people playing this game grew up of it and probably wish there was a system as described. This game is played not only by teenagers, but also by adult people who do not want anyone to call them the worst just for playing the game. It is impossible to write more clearly. A simple box asking if I want to receive a message or email in-game. I am to understand that by this a huge number of people would lose the sense of playing this game? It is a sacrifice I am ready to make. Probably not only me.

lol u meant the ingame messages per inbox...

people just say that this is NOT wvw exclusive, therefore why posting it here?

and blocking the respective person or going offline works as well.... i don't think i count as teen with 29 anymore.

why would you disable all ingame inbox mails from everyone? some people even sent me gold :P you literally only need to block any harasser at the first message. no need to even take that serious or wait till he writes more.

I don't know why you defend it like that, but I can guess. If it works similarly badly in spvp mode, then probably someone could be interested in it. I am focusing on wvw and the thread is in the right place.kamikharzeeh.8016 I understand another one who tries to give examples not in the subject. I see that I will have to write each time that I am talking specifically about messages with rude content. The ability to select messages that come especially on WvW is the only right solution. The war against chat culture cannot be won. And one step before reading the message would probably remove 99.9% of the rudeness problem. This is something worth placing.

So.. now I can only guess you are trolling. No where did I defend the toxic behavior. I made a constructive suggestion on where you may get a better response.

Again, it’s something that is possible in the whole game, and happens in PvE. You really should post it in the general discussion thread.

Good luck to you.

@Mithras.2805 said:This game is played not only by teenagers, but also by adult people who do not want anyone to call them the worst just for playing the game.

I'm impressed you reached maturity with such a thin skin.

As a fellow old person however, I'm filled with contempt to see age cited in such a way. Things you dont like should be banned.. pfft

@Mithras.2805 said:You are wrong in saying that this is the game mechanics. It is an underdeveloped system where you cannot write to people from another server. Because I'm sorry, but combining with blocking, and then changing to a friend just to write something to someone. Only the desperate are capable of this. And sorry, but for a handful of people you can talk to on WvW from other servers, there is a whole legion of people who only want to insult and spit their griefs on whispering. Both me and many people playing this game grew up of it and probably wish there was a system as described. This game is played not only by teenagers, but also by adult people who do not want anyone to call them the worst just for playing the game. It is impossible to write more clearly. A simple box asking if I want to receive a message or email in-game. I am to understand that by this a huge number of people would lose the sense of playing this game? It is a sacrifice I am ready to make. Probably not only me.

Well, I also find it amusing and I am in my mid 30's. Most of us who are older have seen and experienced far, FAR worse in real life and things like this we just brush off with a chuckle.

As for him being wrong....He is not, it is a game wide issue. His point is not that it doesn't happen in WvW or that you are not having the issue in WvW, but rather no one pays attention to the WvW section and getting action taken on the suggestion will probably be better in general discussion. Not saying it doesn't belong here or if you wish to leave it here, that is fine, but I do agree with him that you will probably have a better chance in the other sections.

I can see that your opposition to offending another person for no reason is very fine for you. And probably the best comment would be a rude commentary in the style of players who for no reason will write about you that you are or . And so these are just stars that I think should fly for any person accepting rude behavior. Please rethink your no-comment approach and without comment, please leave this forum. I play this game and I accept that they attack me sometimes in a group, I accept that they jump on me. I accept that the siege machines are throwing me. I do not accept that they are rude or even use offensive words in the message. And it's not something I have to agree to automatically. I proposed a simple option to bypass this swamp. So stop saying it's not because there is a blocking option. Blocking should be possible before a message from someone suspecting rude text arrives.Stop shining like a half-eaten burger from a fast food restaurant. Use at least one argument for which anyone is required to receive a rude message. If not, I can assure you that for the near future I will write without offending anyone that it makes no sense.TinkTinkPOOF.9201If you would spend at least a minute reading what I am writing about this, or you would write the same to save the players, the players for playing the game sum you up as . Still just stars. I can see that it works just as effectively as if there were something rude under them.I don't play pvp and this is the proper forum section. If I would play pvp, I would put the same topic on the pvp topic. The possibility of a rude message on WvW is my attempt. Mine and thousands of players. So this is the right place for that. Me and most of the players have to accept rude messages through an underdeveloped system if they do not win with someone. The same goes for people who play well. This is not a reason to write whatever word in the chat will be replaced with .

If you set yourself to offline, you can't receive whispers from anyone.

Don't really care either way but not even sure what the argument here is. I've never seen a messaging system that lets you message people by blocking them. Or have that utility to track people down with block list. It's pretty stupid-- blocking is two way.

And yes, I personally save salt whispers to post to everyone, but some of you need to respect that not everyone that plays the game has that kind of mentality. Btw, if I didn't solicit your communication, treat it as talking to me in public. ;) Btw did you know someone tried to threaten me with legal action because it was illegal to talk about their salty pms in private that was like 10 years ago though and none happened. xD

The thing here is that I think it's funny to go to such lengths to block someone, add name, and then whisper. But that's because the system is stupid that requires that sort of tryhard effort.

To bring this into relevancy, I think it would be good if people had more control over how they receive message and that can benefit everyone involved, regardless of how many iamverymature.txt's get posted. And it would make sense to allow cross-server whispers as a feature, instead of such a stupid workaround. That way people that like salt whispers can receive them more easily, and the carebears can do whatever. But I hope you know which way most of this game's population leans.

The only counterargument is the ever ubiquitous "but it would take away resources from other things", but of course that even assumes that any are put towards WvW to begin with.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So.. now I can only guess you are trolling. No where did I defend the toxic behavior. I made a constructive suggestion on where you may get a better response.

Again, it’s something that is possible in the whole game, and happens in PvE. You really should post it in the general discussion thread.

Good luck to you.

Do people really salt whisper in pve? What would there even to salt whisper about?

I guess kicks?

There could be an option where in Offline Mode , you cannot be whispered by anyone in WvWvW + PvP . Meaning a new chat box , without the whisper function .And whoever sent them message by mail and get reported for offended language , its more easier for the GMs/auto System that tracks bad words , to corrupt the game and force them to re-download GW2 , 50giga (if each version has an internal code) , just like a "small "ban"You know just like cells in the body , that have the auto-destruction mechanic , in case the Pathogen invade and bypass the outer walls of the Cell .

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:If you set yourself to offline, you can't receive whispers from anyone.

Don't really care either way but not even sure what the argument here is. I've never seen a messaging system that lets you message people by blocking them. Or have that utility to track people down with block list. It's pretty stupid-- blocking is two way.

And yes, I personally save salt whispers to post to everyone, but some of you need to respect that not everyone that plays the game has that kind of mentality. Btw, if I didn't solicit your communication, treat it as talking to me in public. ;) Btw did you know someone tried to threaten me with legal action because it was illegal to talk about their salty pms in private that was like 10 years ago though and none happened. xD

The thing here is that I think it's funny to go to such lengths to block someone, add name, and then whisper. But that's because the system is stupid that requires that sort of tryhard effort.

To bring this into relevancy, I think it would be good if people had more control over how they receive message and that can benefit everyone involved, regardless of how many iamverymature.txt's get posted. And it would make sense to allow cross-server whispers as a feature, instead of such a stupid workaround. That way people that like salt whispers can receive them more easily, and the carebears can do whatever. But I hope you know which way most of this game's population leans.

The only counterargument is the ever ubiquitous "but it would take away resources from other things", but of course that even assumes that any are put towards WvW to begin with.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So.. now I can only guess you are trolling. No where did I defend the toxic behavior. I made a constructive suggestion on where you may get a better response.

Good luck to you.

Do people really salt whisper in pve? What would there even to salt whisper about?

I guess kicks?

You get the random gold seller and person who will critique something.

But the point is the mechanism is one in the game as a whole.. As you well know, The WvW forum section is one of the worst sections (maybe only sPvP would be worse) for getting supportive feedback for something like this.

I was suggesting that because it’s a GW2 game mechanic, it might gain whatever traction it could in the general discussion section.

But that got turned into Me supporting the behavior... I mean, I don’t care if I get whispers. I am not good enough to really trigger someone anyway so..