Class locking in PvP queue, especially in ATs

Hex.2579

I do appreciate an update awhile ago that prevented groups from stacking too many of the same profession.But it's unfair when people queue on specific classes so they could get the spawn on that class on the enemy team, then switch to the class they know it'll counter.I would lie if I say I don't have a problem with it because I do. I think Anet should let the team have 1 switch before the match starts, so it forces people to communicate, plan strategies or something in order to figure out who would make the call. Or just put a lock on class switching at the beginning of a fight. So people starts to play around classes and their teammates.

As for ATs, it's not that fun when you're having good matches and your team is winning just for enemies to tryhard and swap stacking 3 of the same professions to zerg. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it still takes away the fun for folks who aren't try hard enough. Like me. Lol. Or I have to queue later, so I don't want to swap in the middle of a match and suffer dishonor. Mid-match swapping feature shouldn't be in ATs.

What do you think? Should class locking in PvP be a thing?

Not sure what you mean with swap middle match, but after 15 min timer starts running you cant swap anymore

Only 1 swap for team can also be hard to do, cuz you can swap before getting into the match.

Tbh pvp has more urgent issues to be adressed and also easier like banning accounts that are clearly botting, but they are not doing it, so i really doubt they will take a look at your request any time soon

@Hex.2579 said:What do you think? Should class locking in PvP be a thing?

No. Some people like to do stuff in open world and such while they are waiting in queue and do this on another char than what they want to pvp with. They shouldn't be forced to play what they are currently at imho nor should they be forced to stay on the char they want to pvp with (I think Anet also brought up this argument years ago - the discussion isn't particularly new...).. Let's say they are on a new twink or do some crafting or whatever, then this would be char bound. Forcing players to idle while waiting is not that great.

@Hex.2579 said:But it's unfair when people queue on specific classes so they could get the spawn on that class on the enemy team, then switch to the class they know it'll counter.And I think being able to do this is actually extremely important.. Or if you have 2 classes on your team where having only 1 would be prefered. I think it would be very bad to force good players into unfavorable matchups if they can spot their disadvantage in the prep phase and know how to counter.

I think Anet should let the team have 1 switch before the match starts, so it forces people to communicate, plan strategies or something in order to figure out who would make the call. Or just put a lock on class switching at the beginning of a fight. So people starts to play around classes and their teammates.Reality would be: Some douche just switching, wasting the switch and everyone's mad.. This works with a full team queue but as long as Anet doesn't provide a full team queue in ranked I think everyone should be equal since communication is kitten and everyone's potentially a douche.

As for ATs, it's not that fun when you're having good matches and your team is winning just for enemies to tryhard and swap stacking 3 of the same professions to zerg. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it still takes away the fun for folks who aren't try hard enough.I honestly have no idea what you point is. "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't"... Okay, so where's the problem? Or asked differently: Why does it take the fun away? Isn't winning against a team that got so desperate they even waste time swapping chars to counter you even more pleasing?Mid-match swapping feature shouldn't be in ATs.I agree but it doesn't have anything to do with class locking. Also "class locking" doesn't even exist in ATs, it's a bandaid for the matchmaking system. If you queue as full team you are in full charge and I think that's a good thing. We need more freedom in sPvP, not more restrictions. Exploitable flaws with the game should be directly fixed instead of making them unaccessible/harder to exploit by restricting players even more.

@Filip.7463 said:Strong disagree with u. Learn to play more classes so u can also swap.Strong assumption there, bud. I can play all in PvP. But I was in the middle of an AT match, and I don't wanna swap because I have to queue rank right after that for my daily before bed.Sure you don't want to be winning ATs for 84% of the match, to have enemies swap mid-match to roll over 2 of your teammates. And we're just memeing so neither of us wanting to switch to re-counter them. That's just tryharding.

@Khalisto.5780 said:Not sure what you mean with swap middle match, but after 15 min timer starts running you cant swap anymore

Only 1 swap for team can also be hard to do, cuz you can swap before getting into the match.

Tbh pvp has more urgent issues to be adressed and also easier like banning accounts that are clearly botting, but they are not doing it, so i really doubt they will take a look at your request any time soonYou can swap in the middle of matches in ATs, not for normal matches.You know Anet won't ban accounts unless for serious issue because they want to keep their revenues coming, they want these folks to spend money on them.Even if you show Twitch vids of said person saying not so nice things, or have screenshots and everything. The GMs, I don't think they have the permissions to ban. I'm going this back and forth with a few GMs already. They' look like they're just there to answer your questions and help you around with some you need.According to the way their updates, which balanced out a lot of different classes, I was actually hoping this would be implemented at some point. We'll see.

@Hex.2579 said:(...)You can swap in the middle of matches in ATs, not for normal matches.(...)

Totally agree with you, this should be changed. Doesn't seem to be any priority though.

As for normal matches, I am torn. I want people to be able to adjust their compositions, but it sucks when you play mesmer and someone always swaps to thief. Well, it is not as bad anymore after the ecto nerfs, but it still serves as a good example. But I think they should keep allowing it pre-match and just adjust the hard counters to soft counters. Otherwise actual skill wouldn't count as much anymore because winning mainly depended on mind games and quick swapping...

@Hex.2579 said:

@Filip.7463 said:Strong disagree with u. Learn to play more classes so u can also swap.Strong assumption there, bud. I can play all in PvP. But I was in the middle of an AT match, and I don't wanna swap because I have to queue rank right after that for my daily before bed.Sure you don't want to be winning ATs for 84% of the match, to have enemies swap mid-match to roll over 2 of your teammates. And we're just memeing so neither of us wanting to switch to re-counter them. That's just tryharding.

What has ur ''rank right after that for my daily before bed'' to do with swapping class during at match?

• if they block swap class in at match, it means if u get dced before match starts, u cant enter it back (like in ranked) - in ranked teammates dont loose points but in at you throw match for whole team

@Filip.7463 said:

@Hex.2579 said:

(...)
  • if they block swap class in at match, it means if u get dced before match starts, u cant enter it back (like in ranked) (...)

You can rejoin in ranked. There are sometimes bugs, but when you log in with the same char, it usually works fine.

Can I ask what exactly is wrong with tryharding to try and win a tournament?

I mean every time you mention it OP its like "I was winning but then they took my win away from me!!".Don't they deserve to beat you if they are trying harder than you are to win? They are literally trying harder than you are so why shouldn't they?You even say:

but it still takes away the fun for folks who aren't try hard enough. Like me.

You aren't owed victory.

Sure you don't want to be winning ATs for 84% of the match, to have enemies swap mid-match to roll over 2 of your teammates. And we're just memeing so neither of us wanting to switch to re-counter them.

You also admit to not playing seriously, knowing what you can do to continue your win streak but you're not doing it / willing to do it. Again if they are willing to and are trying harder than you they should be beating you.

Honestly, I think it should be the reverse.

People should be able to que with however many of a class you want. If you and your pre-made team wants to run 5 necro or 5 guardian. . .why the heck not. You clearly aren't running with any "meta" - you are just having fun and seeing if you can make a gimped idea work. Which is perfectly OK.

Currently you can do just that, just with inconvenient extra steps. Remove those steps and open it up to be accessible.

When you accept the queue, the profession should be locked.

If having to switch to your PvP character is something you need, they can increase ready time by a minute before you can press it, the current system allows it.

Being able to fall back on whatever people want based on what they've been paired against is one of the biggest reason why the meta is so stale and barely with any innovation.

Forcing people to stick to their guns will emerge new builds of greater or lesser tiers to fullfill needed roles in their team. Having them to work at any degree is the only part that matters.

This would EASILY force players to improve and know their profession better as well, including AT's. Allowing strategies to shift at a limited extend is what conquest really needs.

If everyone wants to play meta, then should their team be stacked with it and end up with the weakness multiplied, knowing what the other team will play is already a big thing, adjusting the locked profession builds to meet the demand is how you'll see different things show up.

@Shao.7236 said:When you accept the queue, the profession should be locked.

If having to switch to your PvP character is something you need, they can increase ready time by a minute before you can press it, the current system allows it.

Being able to fall back on whatever people want based on what they've been paired against is one of the biggest reason why the meta is so stale and barely with any innovation.

Forcing people to stick to their guns will emerge new builds of greater or lesser tiers to fullfill needed roles in their team. Having them to work at any degree is the only part that matters.

This would EASILY force players to improve and know their profession better as well, including AT's. Allowing strategies to shift at a limited extend is what conquest really needs.

If everyone wants to play meta, then should their team be stacked with it and end up with the weakness multiplied, knowing what the other team will play is already a big thing, adjusting the locked profession builds to meet the demand is how you'll see different things show up.

Something ive been hoping they would change for a long time now. Its kinda gross to see people swap right before match starts because they peeked at the enemy team comp.Another simple solution is to hide the professions and names on the score board till the match starts.

@DoomNexus.5324 said:

@Hex.2579 said:What do you think? Should class locking in PvP be a thing?

No. Some people like to do stuff in open world and such while they are waiting in queue and do this on another char than what they want to pvp with. They shouldn't be forced to play what they are currently at imho nor should they be forced to stay on the char they want to pvp with (I think Anet also brought up this argument years ago - the discussion isn't particularly new...).. Let's say they are on a new twink or do some crafting or whatever, then this would be char bound. Forcing players to idle while waiting is not that great.

@Hex.2579 said:But it's unfair when people queue on specific classes so they could get the spawn on that class on the enemy team, then switch to the class they know it'll counter.And I think being able to do this is actually extremely important.. Or if you have 2 classes on your team where having only 1 would be prefered. I think it would be very bad to force good players into unfavorable matchups if they can spot their disadvantage in the prep phase and know how to counter.

I think Anet should let the team have 1 switch before the match starts, so it forces people to communicate, plan strategies or something in order to figure out who would make the call. Or just put a lock on class switching at the beginning of a fight. So people starts to play around classes and their teammates.Reality would be: Some kitten just switching, wasting the switch and everyone's mad.. This works with a full team queue but as long as Anet doesn't provide a full team queue in ranked I think everyone should be equal since communication is kitten and everyone's potentially a kitten.

As for ATs, it's not that fun when you're having good matches and your team is winning just for enemies to tryhard and swap stacking 3 of the same professions to zerg. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it still takes away the fun for folks who aren't try hard enough.I honestly have no idea what you point is. "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't"... Okay, so where's the problem? Or asked differently: Why does it take the fun away? Isn't winning against a team that got so desperate they even waste time swapping chars to counter you even more pleasing?Mid-match swapping feature shouldn't be in ATs.I agree but it doesn't have anything to do with class locking. Also "class locking" doesn't even exist in ATs, it's a bandaid for the matchmaking system. If you queue as full team you are in full charge and I think that's a good thing. We need more freedom in sPvP, not more restrictions. Exploitable flaws with the game should be directly fixed instead of making them unaccessible/harder to exploit by restricting players even more.This is a very detailed answer. Thank you. I don't think preventing mid-match swapping is a restriction, or make it harder for players to play the game. Because some players that are new to the game, they may not have a lot of classes they can play in order to switch around.You still win with unfavorable matchups, and that what makes it great. Instead of people learning to play around teammates and unfavorable matchups, they just keep switching classes around. I have a few times in my games played, people be switching 3-4 times on each team before the match started. As soon as you load and you see different classes, you switch to get a better matchup, then everybody else be doing the same thing. Lol.

@"Virdo.1540" said:im up for the idea of locking players into the classes that were chosen before "Looking for Match".I agree. If they tend to queue for it, then they should be in the class that they want to play. It only takes up to 20s to switch characters and another few mins to wait for queue. It's not that bad.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

Something ive been hoping they would change for a long time now. Its kinda gross to see people swap right before match starts because they peeked at the enemy team comp.Another simple solution is to hide the professions and names on the score board till the match starts.

I wholeheartedly agree with these points. I think Anet should allow scoreboard to be opened only when the match is over. So unless someone walks out of base during waiting time, nobody knows what the enemy team is running.And it'll allow more communication between pug teams, or what build they should do to cover the basic for the team, etc.Switching is easy, not switching and still play around unfavorable matchups is much harder. It's something I believe Anet should implement to get PvP scene less stale.

@Filip.7463 said:What has ur ''rank right after that for my daily before bed'' to do with swapping class during at match?

• if they block swap class in at match, it means if u get dced before match starts, u cant enter it back (like in ranked) - in ranked teammates dont loose points but in at you throw match for whole teamYou're allowed to swap mid-match during ATs, but you still suffer the dishonor timer when you do so. And it's 6 times more than the dishonor timer you usually get if you forget to click Accept queue in rank. It has the waiting timer that I didn't want to wait, so neither of us swapped for that reason.Also the waiting time before a match is longer in ATs, there should be a restriction to switch mid match. That's all.

In rank, it depends. There's an internal timer. It depends on how long you DCed, you can either re-enter the same match, or you get locked out completely.If you can re-enter the match, your team will all suffer because your DC time is so short, the system won't count it as a DC.But if you get lock out (sometimes can still enter the match especially with the same character you click Accept queue) due to extensive amount of DC time, only you eat the minus points, not any of your teammates.Whether block class swapping before/during matches has nothing to do with DC to be honest.

@Hex.2579 said:

@Filip.7463 said:What has ur ''rank right after that for my daily before bed'' to do with swapping class during at match?
  • if they block swap class in at match, it means if u get dced before match starts, u cant enter it back (like in ranked) - in ranked teammates dont loose points but in at you throw match for whole teamYou're allowed to swap mid-match during ATs, but you still suffer the dishonor timer when you do so. And it's 6 times more than the dishonor timer you usually get if you forget to click Accept queue in rank. It has the waiting timer that I didn't want to wait, so neither of us swapped for that reason.Also the waiting time before a match is longer in ATs, there should be a restriction to switch mid match. That's all.

In rank, it depends. There's an internal timer. It depends on how long you DCed, you can either re-enter the same match, or you get locked out completely.If you can re-enter the match, your team will all suffer because your DC time is so short, the system won't count it as a DC.But if you get lock out (sometimes can still enter the match especially with the same character you click Accept queue) due to extensive amount of DC time, only you eat the minus points, not any of your teammates.Whether block class swapping before/during matches has nothing to do with DC to be honest.

U dont get dishonor when swapping class in at.

I know there is a message saying 16minutes, but u wont get it.

@"Hex.2579" said:(...)In rank, it depends. There's an internal timer. It depends on how long you DCed, you can either re-enter the same match, or you get locked out completely.(...)

Do you have a source for this? I have had people join in the last two minutes of a game, I have myself been able to relog after some serious DC issues... and sometimes I couldn't rejoin after a drop to the char selection screen.

There is an internal timer for the "other players don't loose rating"-thing. it is 90 seconds.https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Disconnect-Timer-and-Rating-Loss

@ZDragon.3046 said:

I would agree to this if it didn't introduce the new problem of having players still being able to fight and discover what's going on in the match warm up.

Good idea. A lot of games that have some form of buildcraft usually let you view your team and the enemy team's builds to strategize around that.

I mean, we get over a minute to sit around and look pretty. Would be cool to actually be able to use that time for something other than playing a scuffed game of hot potato where the last person who loads in with their counterpick wins the boring little metagame.

@Filip.7463 said:

@ZDragon.3046 said:Another simple solution is to hide the professions and names on the score board till the match starts.

thats actually pretty interesting.

LOL NOOOOOOOOOOOO, THEN GAMEMODE BECOMES BRAINDEAD, CUZ U DONT HAVE TO MAKE STRATEGY TO COUNTER OPPONENTS

pls start multiclassing

i've been multi classing since before you were born sonny. theres nothing skilled about hot potato, thats the actual brain dead part of this.