Moving game from ssd to hdd?

Ravvann.7856

@"Ravvann.7856" said:Can anyone help. I would like to transfer my gw2 from my ssd to my hdd. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

You can use copy (in Windows use mouse rightclick to bring up option for Copy and later Paste) all files into the main folder which will be moved into the new destination GW2. You will need around 50 GB for all files, if you move a fully functional copy from SSD to HDD. Just make sure that you have enough space on HDD and use the built in defragmentation (see link) from MS Windows on HDD.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/defragment-your-windows-10-pc-048aefac-7f1f-4632-d48a-9700c4ec702a

When you have completed this task, go back into the new place and look for gw2-x64.exe [correction: gw2-64.exe after checking again gamefiles] and create a shortcut on you desktop (or place it in your taskbar for easy access).

Moving GW2 means that it will take some time before it finished as you move from a rather fast medium onto a slower medium.

I hope this was helpful enough.

Just moving it is fastest. You can also save the file that has all your custom info (keybinds etc), pull that aside, do a fresh install on the HDD if you want to be super sure you have a clean copy, and then repaste your custom file. But that'll take however long your connection needs to do a full install.

Quick search found this reddit thread that may help with the details (though it's from hdd to ssd but the process is the same): https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9at3zk/safely_moving_gw2_to_ssd_without_redownloading/

@Ravvann.7856 said:Can anyone help. I would like to transfer my gw2 from my ssd to my hdd. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

The others have described what to do, but (dontcha love that but?)...

As implied by @"Sylvyn.4750" above, map load times will be much slower on HDD than on SSD. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, but you should expect to have much longer map-load times and a few visual oddities about maps being only partly loaded when you load in and then filling in over a short time afterwards, with player models being "generic human" (or Norn / Sylvari / Charr / Asura) for a while as well.

And possibly the "my mount is in the floor for a while until it loads properly" thing which plagued us a while back.

@Sylvyn.4750 said:I'll soon be going back in the other direction...had a smaller size SSD that forced me to move GW2 to an HDD due to lack of space, but it loads new zones so much slower. Have a new NVME drive that I will now move GW2 into...looking forward to faster loads again!

the map (zone) doesn't load faster then on a hdd. but the objects which are there (like in the guild hall) are instant there and do not load 1 by 1.