Can we have expansion 3?

Samnang.1879

It's coming and I know these things take time, but I'm bored of the current story (and the talking dragons don't help :# , are dragons meant to talk in human voices :# )... and like Tyrians working with Jormag even though we as the reader already know that Jormag is going to double cross us...At this point, it's more "surprising"/unpredictable if Aurene turns evil... or Joko bursts out of Aurene...

Other than my request for Exp 3 asap, I have a few other suggestions, for example, I heard it's going to be set in Canta, which is based off of China or Japan or all of those Asian countries. Can we have like a story related to the emperors and empresses of China? No more dragons please, I'm sick of killing them...Also more Ancient chinese costumes THAT DON'T HAVE A BUTTCAPE please... no buttcape...

If you didn't hear me... let me say it again, no outfit with buttcape!!!

The expansion is launching later this year sometime after Champions part 4 which is due at the end of April. It won’t be coming earlier on request - expect it summer or autumn

The story is locked in and won’t be changed at this point now as prob very little will be. It has been stated to tie in together what we have been leading into since LS1. That means a Dragon focused story and yes Cantha is the location.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Samnang.1879" said:Can we have like a story related to the emperors and empresses of China? No more dragons please, I'm sick of killing them...

Well, the expansion's title is "End of Dragons", so naturally it will be about the Elder Dragons.

Hopefully it ends in the first 10 minutes of gameplay, and we can move on to a different theme/storyline :#

@Samnang.1879 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:Can we have like a story related to the emperors and empresses of China? No more dragons please, I'm sick of killing them...

Well, the expansion's title is "End of Dragons", so naturally it will be about the Elder Dragons.

Hopefully it ends in the first 10 minutes of gameplay, and we can move on to a different theme/storyline :#

Obviously it won’t and I doubt a half hearted ending after a 9 year arc would satisfy many of us.

They messed up the Dragon story, but we have whatever happens to Primordus and Jormag in chap4 plus the likelihood of the sixth Dragon appearing still to deal with. That’s going to be the entire expac and might even lead into ls6, but any post dragon stories will be ls6 or later. That’s just something to accept I’m afraid

Expect other bits perhaps, but Elder Dragons and prob Aurene and def Kuunavang will dominate the entire story

FWIW. It is possible that at the end of IBS both Jormag and Primordius die leaving us with Aurene and the DSD.

It would then be thematic for all of EoD to focus on finding DSD and killing them. But it could also very well be that DSD is like Aurene already (is a good dragon or at least neutral) and comes out of hiding since all the bad/insane dragons are dead at which point the story's focus could be Tyria post Elder Dragon influence mixed in with resolving whatever crisis brings us to Cantha.

My vote is that we have to spend Ex. 3 hunting DSD and killing it though.

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:FWIW. It is possible that at the end of IBS both Jormag and Primordius die leaving us with Aurene and the DSD.

It would then be thematic for all of EoD to focus on finding DSD and killing them. But it could also very well be that DSD is like Aurene already (is a good dragon or at least neutral) and comes out of hiding since all the bad/insane dragons are dead at which point the story's focus could be Tyria post Elder Dragon influence mixed in with resolving whatever crisis brings us to Cantha.

My vote is that we have to spend Ex. 3 hunting DSD and killing it though.

I've been thinking the same, however I have a positive feeling that the DSD will be good like Aurene but is probably being "controlled" or has been influenced in a negative way by the current Emperor in Cantha.

So yes, we might have to fight the DSD, but in the end I think they'll become good or pass their power onto Kuunavang. Who knows. I just feel the DSD won't be a pushover especially their domain over all things water is more of a threat than the others we've fought.

@Samnang.1879 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:Can we have like a story related to the emperors and empresses of China? No more dragons please, I'm sick of killing them...

Please don't make a thread when you get disappointed by the expansion story line. That's what you are doing: literally setting yourself up for disappointment.

The expansion is called END of DRAGONS. The title literally spells it out: by the end of the expansion we MIGHT move to a new story line, not at the beginning. It would make absolutely 0 sense to name the expansion the way they do if the theme is done within the first few minutes. Basic logic one might assume.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Samnang.1879" said:Can we have like a story related to the emperors and empresses of China? No more dragons please, I'm sick of killing them...

Maybe they will surprise us with a plot twist. Cantha is also called The Empire of the Dragon, so maybe what will "end" in the expansion is the empire there? On second thought, maybe it's too far fetched

@Randulf.7614 said:

Obviously it won’t and I doubt a half hearted ending after a 9 year arc would satisfy many of us.

It certainly won't satisfy me. It already looks like they're going to end both the Jormag and Primordus arcs with a rushed whimper rather than a bang in order to shovel out the expansion ASAP so half assing the story in that expansion as well would be a terrible idea.

@"Samnang.1879" said:It's coming and I know these things take time, but I'm bored of the current story (and the talking dragons don't help :# , are dragons meant to talk in human voices :# )... and like Tyrians working with Jormag even though we as the reader already know that Jormag is going to double cross us...At this point, it's more "surprising"/unpredictable if Aurene turns evil... or Joko bursts out of Aurene...

Other than my request for Exp 3 asap, I have a few other suggestions, for example, I heard it's going to be set in Canta, which is based off of China or Japan or all of those Asian countries. Can we have like a story related to the emperors and empresses of China? No more dragons please, I'm sick of killing them...Also more Ancient chinese costumes THAT DON'T HAVE A BUTTCAPE please... no buttcape...

Patience is a virtue. If they release a half-finished expansion now, you’ll be bored again in a month.

If you don't like the Elder Dragon story then you're not really all that invested in this game's story.

We all knew what Gw2 was going to be long before Gw2 even released so no Anet isn't just going to dump the entire concept of this game until they are ready to end the main story of Gw2, but we are getting there now and I do expect a finale to the Dragon Story fairly soon.

That said all those moaning about the Dragon story.. they do amuse me with their attitudes that whatever comes after Elder Dragons will automatically be better because it won't be about Elder Dragons XDThat's the same flawed logic as people nagging to stop going back to lore rich Gw1 locations because we've been there before already.Just because something is new! doesn't automatically make it better!.. and you can't force creativity especially with little to nothing to build on especially with deadlines lording over your work.

Shigeru Miyamoto once said“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”

I completely agree with him on that and I will always support delaying a project if it means getting a better experience.. delays are good, deadlines however are one of the main things that often hurts or ruins games.

1) Dragons talked in GW1 so of course they can talk in GW2.2) Foreshadowing is a perfectly fine narrative device and writers opting for shock with no foreshadowing in recent years is objectively bad and has trained people to think knowing the route a story will go (even if you don't know the details) because of foreshadowing means it's bad writing instead of a choice the writer made to use a tool that's been around for centuries.3) The story is already set and odds are voice lines are nearly fully recorded or fully recorded with a decent chunk of cutscenes having been roughly or fully animated.4) Cantha was Generic Asian™ with a mashup of multiple cultures, something that was a huge issue in GW1 and EoD will hopefully have had more effort to research things put into it.5) Dragons are a fantasy staple and been around in Guild Wars since GW1 so expecting there to be no dragons (in an expansion titled End of Dragons based on a GW1 expansion that heavily featured a dragon where the teaser trailer featured a dragon) is setting yourself up to be disappointed.6) Fewer buttcapes would be nice but that's been asked for for the past 5 years so getting invested in the idea that suddenly they'll stop is also setting yourself up for disappointment.

yes cantha has an exciting history, it was definitely my favorite place on guild wars 1 . But given the name of the expansion, the whole place is going to be ruined just talking about dragonsshiro come back please, you were so much more motivating than the boring dragons :'(But let's see the positive, we can finally move on and stop for good with these uninteresting villains after cantha. If the game does not stop, we can finally see exciting stories like on the first guild warsi hope at least the landscape will be as beautiful as in guild wars faction. And that the environment will not be ravaged like in elona byKralkatorrik.

arena mistake was to create too many ancestral dragons2 or 3 would have been enough, it would have made it possible to approach other stories in parallel6 dragons for 10 years, it's getting so boring and guild was 1 characters like lazarus, balthazar or joko have been misused and screwed up

you have a very good quick summary of the first guild wars in cantha here if you want

@Samnang.1879 said:...but I'm bored of the current story (and the talking dragons don't help....

There is a story? I could not possibly care less about a story. This game has almost none, and it is easy to skip. If there is an un-skippable cut scene - that just gives me time to mix a drink ha ha (I am just here for monster bashing)

Unfortunately you can probably be assured of more butt capes, though ha ha

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Samnang.1879" said:Can we have like a story related to the emperors and empresses of China? No more dragons please, I'm sick of killing them...Well, the expansion's title is "End of Dragons", so naturally it will be about the Elder Dragons.

I just wanted to add a reminder that Path of Fire managed to build an interesting story around the boring Elder Dragon theme by adding a rogue god that threatens the very life of the locals in a region where a lich has established a dictatorship. So there are ways to add additional stuff to the main theme and thereby make it more interesting. Ergo, there is hope for Cantha. ;)

I know the Expansion will be about Dragons again, but I agree with the OP: I am done with dragons too. Joko was actually a refreshing change of Villain. We killed Balthazar too and that was ok, but here's hoping they do not change the tune from Dragons to Gods in/after Cantha. I guess killing entities like Dragons and Gods is more "epic" but we are not 12 anymore and I think most of us can invest just fine (actually better) in less divine adversaries.

Just make the dialogue and story great.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Samnang.1879" said:Can we have like a story related to the emperors and empresses of China? No more dragons please, I'm sick of killing them...Well, the expansion's title is "End of Dragons", so naturally it will be about the Elder Dragons.

I just wanted to add a reminder that Path of Fire managed to build an interesting story around the boring Elder Dragon theme by adding a rogue god that threatens the very life of the locals in a region where a lich has established a dictatorship. So there are ways to add additional stuff to the main theme and thereby make it more interesting. Ergo, there is hope for Cantha. ;)

Whilst they did an extremely poor job of delving into Balthazar's motivations etc, you are otherwise right. Keeping the Dragons in the background whist we do other things has usually been the more interesting approach, with the Dragon threat cropping up only to enhance (much like the original idea of being "forces of nature" should). Seeing Kralk flying overhead at the end was superb and yet wasn't needed as the focus of the story. When Kralk became the focus, things went off the rails fast.Same in LS3 Ep5. Whilst the story was a bit strange, the last instance where we take on Balthazar's hounds against the backdrop of Primordus was one of the most epic scenes in the game.

Jormag as possible exception as they really did a good job in the early parts of Icebrood Saga to make it a convincing villain

@"Randulf.7614" said:Whilst they did an extremely poor job of delving into Balthazar's motivations etc, you are otherwise right.

Well, I found it a lot better written than what we were served during LWS3, which had me lose all respect for Balthazar (and the writers) and was simply ridiculous altogether - okay, so that probably isn't a proof a quality then. ;)

Keeping the Dragons in the background whist we do other things has usually been the more interesting approach, with the Dragon threat cropping up only to enhance (much like the original idea of being "forces of nature" should). Seeing Kralk flying overhead at the end was superb and yet wasn't needed as the focus of the story. When Kralk became the focus, things went off the rails fast.

Agreed.

I am hopeful that Cantha has somehow managed to inspire the writers with good story ideas so that they can provide us with quality again for a change and doesn't completely revolve around the Elder Dragons without having some good contents of Canthanese mythology and politics added to the whole thing.