Return on the game. Thinking about starting a mesmer, worth it?

brenda lovely.8213

I really enjoy the Mesmer gameplay in a vacuum. Far prefer the illusions to pets/minions/elementals overall, and think shatter is a pretty good tool.

Mesmer has taken a beating in public opinion as there have been some heavy ‘tweaks’ over the past few years and many will bemoan the state of Mesmer (more so Mirage) in PvP/WvW. However in any game mode Mesmer can be fun and competitive in the right hands, it may not be as easy as say a Guardian, but it can be fun and have fair success.

You'll have no issues in open world PvE, you can use any reasonable build (meaning you don't expect to do damage with Minstrel's etc.), and you can have fun building weird unorthodox builds and still be able to do content, story, metas, farming etc.

But for everything else, they're not that great. Every other profession will be so much better than you at what you're supposed to be doing with half the effort. So take that into account when deciding.

But if you just want to level and have fun in open world, then sure, it's pretty fun! Check out the "let's theorycraft fun builds" thread, there's a lot of coold builds that people are posting for mesmers for open world. None of them are "meta" and won't get you into raids, but they're fun in open world.

• 1 month later...

Mesmer is the most fun class in my opinion. Yes, it requires a bit more patience to perfect rotation etc. but it feels dynamic and has many resources to protect oneself (invisibility, teleports, using illusions to aggro the enemy etc.)

It is not very good for fractals (at least for inexperienced players) , as it requires quite strategic planning for summoning illusions to sustain the damage.

Many people will say Mesmer sucks in pvp but that’s probably because they don’t know how to play it and/or are still raging over mirage having 1 dodge in pvp.

@Mik.3401 said:Many people will say Mesmer sucks in pvp but that’s probably because they don’t know how to play it and/or are still raging over mirage having 1 dodge in pvp.

Mesmer is the whole profession and not sucks but is not in a good spot now. And Mirage most optimal even nerfed. But competitive players want to win not only participate, so they use the tools they need to acomplish it. In this case, the professions that let them win. If some of the best mesmers changed to other professions was for a reason. Have the oportunity to win.

Prestige R.I.P. tried it in the Hardstuck Conquest League/Tournament. Sure that he did his best but have a setup with Mirage is one of the reasons that not let you win against stronger ones. You see it watching the games of the tournament. At least that was my impression.

@Heika.5403 said:

@"Mik.3401" said:Many people will say Mesmer sucks in pvp but that’s probably because they don’t know how to play it and/or are still raging over mirage having 1 dodge in pvp.

Mesmer is the whole profession and not sucks but is not in a good spot now. And Mirage most optimal even nerfed. But competitive players want to win not only participate, so they use the tools they need to acomplish it. In this case, the professions that let them win. If some of the best mesmers changed to other professions was for a reason. Have the oportunity to win.

Prestige R.I.P. tried it in the Hardstuck Conquest League/Tournament. Sure that he did his best but have a setup with Mirage is one of the reasons that not let you win against stronger ones. You see it watching the games of the tournament. At least that was my impression.

Again with this "because they don't know how to play it" crap. I keep repeating the same thing over, why play a profession that requires more work and time/effort to pull off the same things another profession can much easier?The main reason why is mesmer mains roll to other classes is because builds get nerfed, to have traits reworked or removed, or utilities nerfed with higher cd that will impact the builds vastly, yet there are NO compensation whatsoever for example the mirage 1 dodge nerf, of course why is this mentioned all the time. It is because it is a huge mechanical nerf that impacts the survivability AND the damage output on a class that requires dodges (its like nerfing DRD with 1 dodge) it was a very LAZY nerf with NO compensation to bolster either damage OR at least reduce the time it takes for endurance bar to fill, as it stands in WvW having both dodge food up AND vigor requires 8 seconds for it to fully recharge.