Your comment on a build

Trianox.3486

Hi!

Context: So, I've been toying with Chornomancer and Mirage in the last couple of weeks. I'm in this weird spot where I really like the thematic of Mesmer and both the current elite specs, as well as everything else about their skills, but aint a big fan of shatters, altho I do use them. It's a bit ironic given it's a core mechanic, and I'm starting to use them more or "purpose" when I notice I have 3 filled purple dots! But... I tend to lean toward builds that do use phantasm and clones, of course, but clearly do not optimize that side of the build. I'm surely leaving loosing out on a lot of damage potential.

This build is for PvE (even if I did use it a few times in PvP for fun in unranked), and I don't mind not attaining meta DPS, as long as I don't lag too far being. I tend to play slightly off meta builds for other classes as I prefer flexibility over damage. I'm okay sacrificing 10-15% damage if I gain a lot of utility, but I don't want to be too low damage either to the point that fights last forever.I know... "anything" works in Open world, but I'm also of the philosophy that certain builds make your journey much more pleasant because of how quickly they can move around between small packets of dispersed mob (while remaining in combat), be solid enough to not die because you didn't see a deadly hit coming your way, or being able to beat foes relatively comfortably within timers.

Question for you, Mesmer playersWould there be ways or advises to optimize the current following build without changing too much the play style?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PikAwqlVwSYRMImJW+S5PbA-zRRYBBLGNsxISBUJBkOA-eBasic components:

• Power build
  • Dueling + Inspiration + Mirage
  • Blurred Inscription (Inspiration) + Desert Distortion (Mirage) => signets give distortion, and distortion gives ambush attack
  • 2 signets + 2 deception skills + 2 dodges (PvE) + F4 = 7 opportunities for Ambush
  • Rune of infiltration for some vigor to allow for more dodges/ambush
  • Due to this combination and considering other traits, Signet of Midnight becomes the ultimate "espace" tool: inflicts blind, stealth 2 sec (vigor on stealth due to rune of infiltration), 5 conditions cleanse, stunbreak, distortion 1 sec, and of course, grants aegis to allies for 2 secondes.
  • Jaunt (obviously) to move straight into mirrors
  • Sword + Pistol
  • Rotation/combo more or less looks like: Pistol 4 + Blurred Frenzy + Ambush + AA + Ambush + AA = rinse/repeat.
  • Ambush is provoked by using either dodges, signets, deception skills whether I need to avoid large hits by retreating, or stick close to my target. Of course, Thurst allows to get Leap (600 range) to target.
  • I alternative between all of 4 Depcetion skills, never quite sure of which one I like to most. But I tend to keep Sand Through Glass as a retreat option most of the time, and alternate between the three others... more or less randomly, still unsure of which I like the most.
  • One of the many debatable trait choice is using "Dune Cloak" - I know heresy of not using Infinite Horizon... especially for the many ambushes I get, but...

Great at: sticking to your target, having decent mobility, escaping easily.Decent: has the perk of some interesting bonuses due to Inspiration trait line.Downsides: damage seems low (just a matter or rotation/combo that I'm not getting?), Mirage Thurst/sword ambush skill is... a tiny clunky/slow and too low damage,

Comments? Strategies? Ideas to optimize that build/play style?

Thanks in advance!

You are limiting yourself heavily by only using one weaponset. Why no greatsword as the other weaponset?You are limiting your damage heavily by picking inspiration over domination.Sword ambush is not that much damage so building around that doesn't make too much sense.Shatters are a core part of the mesmer toolkit, on powerbuilds f1 is great burst.You use signet of midnight but are built around power. Signet of midnight is great for condi builds because of the expertise.

@Ronald McDonald.8165 said:You are limiting yourself heavily by only using one weaponset. Why no greatsword as the other weaponset?You are limiting your damage heavily by picking inspiration over domination.Sword ambush is not that much damage so building around that doesn't make too much sense.Shatters are a core part of the mesmer toolkit, on powerbuilds f1 is great burst.You use signet of midnight but are built around power. Signet of midnight is great for condi builds because of the expertise.

• I was trying to get a hold of sword/pistol first, but yeah, will explore greatsword in the coming days!
  • Yeaaaah Inspiration over Domination... I like what Inspiration brings to the table, but it does really sink DPS. Are all power builds Dueling+Domination + something else, or it is possible to skip either dueling and domination? And if I wanted to use Inspiration, should I go for a condi build then?
  • That's sad yes, but I get it. =(
  • I do use F1 as soon as the three illusion spots are filled. But it is a bit lackluster if I may say. Is there a specific timing to using that or whenever it is available and that there is something worth using it on?
  • About that signet: Agree. Would you have another suggestion for a low CD stunbreak that offers other side advantages?

-For the most part dueling+dom is the way to go for power builds. For condi builds you don't really need inspiration either because things like rune of tormenting or playing very evasively with an IH staff build provides enough defense-No real specific time needed to use the shatter, it is just nice burst-For utilities mantra of pain is nice for the Might. If you think you really need a stunbreak there is Decoy which also provides stealth but unlike the signet gives you a clone which you can use to shatter.

Hello, i'm a PvP player so I will comment your build from a PvP point of view.

• For PvP content a second weapon set is obligatory, you should take any set of weapon different from the first one. Because you want to play power, you should take GS as second weapon set. If you really like utilities and original power build, you could try to take staff (great mobility but low dps), or wand + torch (wand 3 can be great burst if well placed, stealth of torch is great utility). Sword off hand can be good as power damage in PvE, it can be niche for PvP content. Focus is great for PvE content (pull mobs) but useless for PVP imo.
  • I higly suggest you to take Signet off illusion instead of sand through glass, not only it gives you distorsion and 1 clone thanks to blurred inscription, it also reset the CD of all your shatters
  • Dune Cloak can be a good choice for PvP content, notably on some choke point (bell of Revenge of the Capricorn, or Tranquility at Temple of the Silent Storm) but for PvE content, I don't really understand. Mobs don't have boons generally and I think that you will get more dps by having IH.
  • Even if signet of midnight is made to improve condi dps, I always use it for PvP because it short CD stunbreak+stealth +distortion + 5 dispel (given you take blurred inscription) which is a really great utility.
  • Ambush can be kind of tricky for PvP content. You only get one dodge (there are tons of discussion on why this is horrible but I think that you already know that), so I understand that you want to have a lot of Mirage Mirror to create the opportunity of having a ambush attack ,however there are 2 major problem with Mirage Mirror : first, many ambush can be easilty interrupted, notably the wand/staff/sword ambush attacks have animation that are really long, and interruption can really cripple your dps in a PvP matchup. Second, enemies can see your Mirage Mirror, and therefor, know where you will move. Not only they can cast their AOE on the Mirror, they know that as soon you're going on the Mirror, there is an opportunity to interrupt you. Personnaly, i'll use Illusionary Ambush instead of Crystal Sands because you will get an ambush without having to get a Mirror, and it also breaks enemy targeting which is really great for PvP.
  • Otherwise, I think that your other choice of traits and utilities are good for PvP content