Launcher doesn't Launch

Hello, I'be been playing GW2 since July without any trouble until this week... the Launcher simply won't launchI just try to open it and nothing shows up, not even a crash message on the 64 bit Exe, but in the Task Manager I see the game "running" and eating 25% of my CPU, let it be for like 1 hour and then forced it to end the task, tried again with no new results (repeated times)

I then tried to run the 32 Bits client and it throws a crash error, like dafuq? Nevermind, let's try to use the " - repair" adition to the link, nothing changes... then again I thought "Ok, let's download again the Client and try to install it clean in a new folder", guess what? Nothing happens, or better said, the same happens, it is like downloading few files in the Installer folder without showing a single thing/screen/patcher/client but after those files are downloaded (like 29 Mb only) it stays as a running process hidden in the background that can only be detected by the Task Manager and I need to finish it (after hours of letting it trying to download stuff)

At this point I have no idea on what to do, my PC is a I5 8400 with a nVidia GTX 750 TI and I didn't update the OS (Win10) neither the Drivers, both the OS and the Game are in an almost new 240 Crucial SSD so there shouldn't be any trouble with it

I have no idea what is happening, is there anything I can do to provide useful info about it? Do you need the 32 Bit crash report? Since I always played with the 64 Bit client I don't even know if the crash message is normal for it or old or whatever since I never launched it, but I have no clue on how to solve this and I want to play please =/

I already searched on the forums and googled it (there is where I got the -repair command which didn't work) but I didn't found any more useful info, so I ask for your help and sorry about wasting your time but I will be grateful on any answer (even the trolling ones, at this point I am taking it with laughs)

@Linken.6345 said:Do you use arcdps?If so try remove 3d39.dll from your gw2 bin64 folder and try the launcher again.

Nope, don't have that and just in case I searched for the file in the whole folder/disk with no results, so I am clean I suppose (?)Also like I said, I tried to install it all over again in a new folder and even the installer does the same...

@Linken.6345 said:You probabely are yes.

Out of curiosity are you installing it?D : \games\gw2The reason I ask is some folders are not good to install gw2 into like for example progam86 windows folder.

Nope, I installed it in C:/GuildWars2 in the root of the SSD hahaha, and as I said, it worked without trouble until.... Wednesday I think or Tuesday, then this happened, tried few days to solve it alone but couldn't do it so I am asking here for help

• 1 month later...

@Okaerin.3145 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:Any update to antivirus that might block gw2 connection to the net?

Always inactive, I use Linux mainly, only boot on Windows to Play GW2 and some BNet games =/Firewall deactivated as well

Nonetheless, if you have an antivirus installed, though it's "deactivated", it might still be the cause of the issue. Try to add the GW2 installation folder to your AV's list of exceptions and re-add Gw2-64.exe and the Coherent UI to your firewall and see if that changes anything.

Edited by Ashantara.8731

• 5 months later...

In case anyone else ventured into this thread after recent betas, I had simillar problem with launcher on Windows. It showed up, then dissapeared. After uninstalling the game, fresh installator also showed up, downloaded some files, unpacked them in launcher floder, then crashed and stayed as a background process.

Solution that worked for me was just turning off the antivirus (till the login screen apppeared) and launching the installer in admin mode (not sure which one helped).

Edited by xezz.5680
  • Confused 1

I had the same issue on Windows.  But for whatever reason it just stopped doing it.  Basically it would launch the screen would go white and it would crash.  I would try to open it again and it would work just fine.  I used to have a similar issue with the game Day Z.  Basically if I alt tabbed while it was opening it would crash.  So now I just let it open normally and that seems to do the trick.

Edited by PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, so I just spent a whole day trying to work this out with gw2 support. Turns out all you need to do is delete the Guild Wars 2 folder in appdata\roaming (C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2). Just delete the folder and run the launcher, it should generate new files and run just fine.

• Thanks 3

• 2 months later...

Ive been having this same problem now since the first alliance beta and have to delete that kitten folder every time and turn off all virus protection and windows defender and everything. Today its not working. Launcher simply launches and immediately closes. If i delete the appdata folder it will download for about 4 seconds then close and not reopen.

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 9:25 AM, xezz.5680 said:

Solution that worked for me was just turning off the antivirus (till the login screen apppeared) and launching the installer in admin mode (not sure which one helped).

Turns out my problem was antivirus. For some time I was turning it off right before the app start, gw2 downloaded update files then I turned antivirus on and it worked. If it would help anyone I have TrendMicro, but probably other antiviruses also work simillar. The thing is, I got tired of turning it on and off and I got the advice to add entire gw2 folder to the 'trusted folders' in antivirus. Worked like a charm, no problems since :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, the harper.2908 said:

Thanks, this worked for me too - I just needed it off long enough for the launcher to start downloading files.

Or you could have just done as I suggested before:

On 4/4/2021 at 10:04 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Try to add the GW2 installation folder to your AV's list of exceptions and re-add Gw2-64.exe and the Coherent UI to your firewall and see if that changes anything.

• Confused 2

• 10 months later...