Now that I understand dodging, need high survival class/build advice — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Players Helping Players

Now that I understand dodging, need high survival class/build advice

Victros.8154Victros.8154 Member ✭✭
edited February 15, 2021 in Players Helping Players

After my other post about dodging, I think that I'm going to be able to pull it off (just doing solo world content, nothing difficult), but I also think I'm not going to be great at it. Would someone be so kind as to suggest a class and build that will have very high survivability, something that will be very forgiving if I miss dodges? The simpler the description, the better. I bought the game years ago but never played much, and I don't understand the complexities of builds yet.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Interestingly, both of which are created by the same OP as here. The info should still be valid

    Warriors, Guardians and Necros are still strong survivalists without requiring too much finger dexterity. Guardians probably need a bit more thought in their builds, but there's pretty much nothing they can't do to keep themselves alive. A great solo and group support profession should you ever wish to branch out a bit

    There is of course the classic "bearbow" ranger. Using a longbow weapon at range whilst the bear pet tries to keep the mob occupied. For casual, open world play I think it's still valid, although I've never actually used it myself. The further back you are, the less dodges you are going to be making as well

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Victros.8154Victros.8154 Member ✭✭
    edited February 15, 2021

    @Randulf.7614 said:

    Interestingly, both of which are created by the same OP as here. The info should still be valid

    Warriors, Guardians and Necros are still strong survivalists without requiring too much finger dexterity. Guardians probably need a bit more thought in their builds, but there's pretty much nothing they can't do to keep themselves alive. A great solo and group support profession should you ever wish to branch out a bit

    There is of course the classic "bearbow" ranger. Using a longbow weapon at range whilst the bear pet tries to keep the mob occupied. For casual, open world play I think it's still valid, although I've never actually used it myself. The further back you are, the less dodges you are going to be making as well

    Thanks! Yeah, I've been considering playing for a long time. I'm on a couple of meds that cause brain fog and memory issues. I forgot that I even posted this before.

    Does the open world game still get much more difficult with the expansion content, or has that been balanced?

  • According to some players, expansion content is more difficult than Core Tyria content.
    You can try The Silverwastes/Dry Top as intermediary content.

    Good luck.

  • @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    According to some players, expansion content is more difficult than Core Tyria content.
    You can try The Silverwastes/Dry Top as intermediary content.

    Good luck.

    Thank you!

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    One short answer is that equipment with toughness and vitality will increase your survival. Toughness gives you additional armour and vitality gives you additional health. Both together is probably unnecessary, but that is an option if you want it.

    Also look for traits which offer protection or regenerate health. Traits are passive - they work automatically without you needing to do anything so it's one less thing to worry about. Each profession has at least 1 specialisation which is mainly defensive, but other specialisations will have some defense options too.

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    There is of course the classic "bearbow" ranger. Using a longbow weapon at range whilst the bear pet tries to keep the mob occupied. For casual, open world play I think it's still valid, although I've never actually used it myself. The further back you are, the less dodges you are going to be making as well

    Personally I wouldn't recommend bear bow for anything except very early open world content (where rangers are almost pushed into it due to starting with a longbow). When it works as intended it's ok, but if anything stops you from staying at range, like too many enemie spawning or doing an event where you have to capture a circle, or just being in a small area, you don't have many options. I prefer weapons like axes or shortbow which are ranged but work just as well close up, and using traps and spirits so getting close to my character is dangerous - it doesn't put enemies off of course but it makes them easy to deal with.

    Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

    "Life's a journey, not a destination."

  • Pirogen.9561Pirogen.9561 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2021

    PvE has more then one mode. What is good for Raid or Fractal in not good for Open World(OW). And even in OW you have different situations. Trahs mobs, big bosses, meta events, world boss, legendary bounty, ...

    General rule I have for gear for Open World:

    • if Power build: everything is Marauder, but armor is Knight. Exotic is good enough. Upgrade to Ascended goes: Trinkets(farm Living seasons maps) -> Weapon -> skip ascended armor coz its so kitten expensive.
    • if Condi build: everything is Trailblazer or maybe Rabid if you get alot from criticals. Exotic is good enough. Upgrade to Ascended goes: Trinkets(farm Living seasons maps) -> Weapon -> skip ascended armor coz its so kitten expensive.

    Idea is that "if your dead you do zero DPS".
    What I play most:

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2021

    @Victros.8154 said:
    Would someone be so kind as to suggest a class and build that will have very high survivability, something that will be very forgiving if I miss dodges?

    Dragonhunter

    Build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAEx3lVUxmaaIhMnyWZjO0L+tcA-zRZYBR9tH6QICiBdVItFo1mCVUV2eRECBPj9wbJilN-e

    Usage: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Power_DPS#Usage

    Provides an auto-block periodically, super high healing through the use of Litany of Wrath (heal skill) in combination with skills like Whirling Wrath (Greatsword) and Zealot's Defense (Sword) or Trap/Spirit Weapon, and good blocks through Shield of Courage (Dragonhunter F3) and Shield of Wrath (Focus skill 5). You also have Wings of Resolve (Dragonhunter F2) for additional healing (including allies) and condition cleanse.

    It's also one of the highest burst damage builds out there - and the faster the enemies fall, the safer you are.

  • Orack.9756Orack.9756 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2021

    @Victros.8154 said:
    After my other post about dodging, I think that I'm going to be able to pull it off (just doing solo world content, nothing difficult), but I also think I'm not going to be great at it. Would someone be so kind as to suggest a class and build that will have very high survivability, something that will be very forgiving if I miss dodges? The simpler the description, the better. I bought the game years ago but never played much, and I don't understand the complexities of builds yet.

    Thanks for any help!

    Hello,

    Here is a scourge build, it's almost impossible to die with it, and no, it's not an exageration.
    I build it for a friend who is 60+ yo and who was struggling since she discoverd HoT.
    Now she roll on content and can beat most champ. And if you'r younger, you won't beat most champ, you'll beat ALL leg/bounty and champ you will encounter.

    Rotation ?
    => Always 3 shades up (15% dmg reduction)
    => don't use F2 you don't need it, keep Life force for F3 - F5.
    F4 when CC is needed for breakbar + elite skill.
    Don't made the 2 minion explode, use the shadow fiend skill on CD.
    For weapon skill, spam all on CD, use Torch 5 the least to gain more might.

    It's not a raid or fractal or even dg build, that a pur solo build.
    Can be use in meta-event, shade are great for tagging, add a Staff + epidemic for more cleave (only in meta-event).

    Hope it help you as much as it helped my friend.

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSABs+tjlFwmYgsK2IWKPlvTA-zxIY84fMylqdqK9zivTbA-e
    (Exo work too, just a bit less stat)