Elite Makeover Kit Idea

Currently makeover kits include a few exclusives such as hair and eye colors, unique faces and hair and we have all read and seen the countless threads clamoring for more.But what if - we had a more expensive option that didn't just offer that, but included so much more without having to change the story or make new maps?We have battle tonics but they can't be customized. You can't ride your mounts and those are still valuable for character models that don't fit existing armor any way. We have infusions but they rarely integrate well with the story or with any semblance of immersion in the world.But imagine, if you will - a kit that allows your character to be one of Joko's freed Awakened? One of Aurene's Crystal Bloom? Imagine if an Elite kit introduced long fur tails for male charr or exclusive coat markings? or even colors ? You want earrings or make up for asura? Unique mutations for Sylvari? Imagine bodies with new glow patterns. Humans with markings perhaps?It would cost the same as an exclusive mount and introduce the new looks we crave without needing to make new cities, or make new armor to fit over altered forms.It would also introduce a new source of revenue for the game.

So basically small packs of unique appearance combos to fit into a certain theme? Similarly to how we get those outfit/dye/backpiece combos to fully change the character's cosmetic appearance into some theme? Well I wouldn't mind it tbh. But this feature being probably on the expensive side of things will definitely not appeal to players who don't have enough gold to convert/wish to spend money on the gemstore.

Okay now you got the appearance of a Mordrem Guard as a sylvari, an Awakened Occultist as a human, an Ash Shama as a charr, a Son of Svanir as a Norn, or an Inquest as an asura. But you want to return to your old character. The original one.

What happens to your kit? Is it a one time thing? How can you save your appearance if it's not? New tab in the hero panel with bought kits? If you want to alter the appearance of your current kit, do you buy a new one? If not, isn't it unfair to be able to customize your unique character appearance for free (when talking about the customization features available in said kit, Mordrem/Awakened etc)?

Did I understand this correctly? In any case, you are basically trying to give us (cause Anet won't see probs) a solution to not adding new races. Which is commendable and an interesting take. But I'm afraid that for practicallity reasons only (the questions asked earlier) Anet will most probably make some new tonics and call it a day. Mounting with battle tonics would require transformations to change as a system since mounting is a transformation, so all in all, it's just as much effort I'd say.

Would I want this? Hell yeah!

@"Khisanth.2948" said:I need another option in the poll. "Toss OP and the OP of https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/123659/its-time-for-transmutation-charges-and-self-style-hair-kits-to-go-away into a deathmatch and we go with whichever one comes out alive"

While I would never kill anyone, I believe I would win because I have a better understanding and appreciation for the aspects of this game which help make it fun and interesting while also generating revenue, in the context of cosmetics. I would even have included art but my day job takes the energy out of me.

I'd rather they just update the current ones instead of throwing in an expensive paid item for your base character's look to take advantaged of players who don't want default options or want something with more polys and better textures. Some people have makeover kits and hairstyle kits sitting in their bank, yes, but it's been years since either were updated so updating them would still result in a surge of people buying them. Especially people with a lot of alts who don't like reusing the same face/hair/fur for multiple alts.

Also updating battle tonics so you can mount while using them would make them more appealing to players in general.

I just don't see the need of adding a whole new item (for $25USD!) that would prevent people from buying it due to the price when what we have can be updated to have more options while being far more affordable (therefore accessible) and making more people happy in the process.

You lost me. What do Makeover Kits have to do with the story or maps? A Makeover Kit is just to make the commander look as non-ideal for a commander as one can imagine--

Palawa Joko: "While we're having this little chat... Who dresses you? I mean, really? You wore THAT for this occasion?"

--but they're still "Commander." I'd love additions to the existing kit, as would many others, though your concerns are by default not a conflict.

Some of these points sound like they'd be expensive to implement and/or break in combination with other game mechanics.

There are areas in the game where it's not possible to use a combat transformation tonic. What would happen in these instances?Some features like a choice of Charr tails and coat markings should better be added to the existing total makeover kits.Earrings and other accessories would be expensive to make because the devs would need to make a version for every existing pair of ears in the game.

So far I don't see how the higher per-item-cost could possibly offset the development cost.

@"KidRoleplay.3615" said:You lost me. What do Makeover Kits have to do with the story or maps? A Makeover Kit is just to make the commander look as non-ideal for a commander as one can imagine--

Palawa Joko: "While we're having this little chat... Who dresses you? I mean, really? You wore THAT for this occasion?"

--but they're still "Commander." I'd love additions to the existing kit, as would many others, though your concerns are by default not a conflict.

Makeover kits aren't about what you wear, it's about your character's skin, hair and eyes: their body. My concept is that an Elite Makeover kit provides exclusive full body transformations similar to infusions or potions without any of the drawbacks . My idea is to add options which tie in to factions which appeared in the story. The biggest example being the Awakened: one of the undead created by Joko. Another idea might be cleansed Branded: skin embedded with Aurene's crystals.

The "conflict" is that there are a few people who want to see new races but creating new races often involves making new armor, new maps, recording new dialogue. We have battle tonics but you can't customize them, or use your mounts. We have infusions but those sometimes come with stats we don't want, or don't work with certain hair (Example Toy Shell infusion changes your skin , hair and eyes however it does not work with all hair. This can be an expensive disappointment for someone.) They can also be extremely hard to get, depending on luck.

Why have a completely separate kit? Because this option would cost more due to the extensive nature of it. It would not make sense to make all makeover kits cost double for this addition. In before "but then it's pointless" - remember we have separate hair kits for similar reasons.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:Some of these points sound like they'd be expensive to implement and/or break in combination with other game mechanics.

There are areas in the game where it's not possible to use a combat transformation tonic. What would happen in these instances?Some features like a choice of Charr tails and coat markings should better be added to the existing total makeover kits.Earrings and other accessories would be expensive to make because the devs would need to make a version for every existing pair of ears in the game.

So far I don't see how the higher per-item-cost could possibly offset the development cost.

This is not a tonic. It's a permanent change to your character's skin texture map. Just like changing your character's hair style or using an infusion wouldn't change those game instances, this idea also wouldn't.While my idea could be added to a standard makeover kit, expanding the options ten fold , the cost as you pointed out would be expensive to make. That is why I'm calling this an ELITE makeover kit, and it is separate from the default one. It would cost about $20-25 each. It would be the ultimate customization exclusive with no reliance on RNG, with no weird glitchy drawbacks, and you would be able to ride your mounts, and look as cool as you want in any story instance and through any game mechanic.

@Obfuscate.6430 said:

@"KidRoleplay.3615" said:You lost me. What do Makeover Kits have to do with the story or maps? A Makeover Kit is just to make the commander look as non-ideal for a commander as one can imagine--

Palawa Joko:
"While we're having this little chat... Who dresses you? I mean, really? You wore THAT for this occasion?"

Makeover kits aren't about what you wear, it's about your character's skin, hair and eyes: their body. My concept is that an Elite Makeover kit provides exclusive full body transformations similar to infusions or potions without any of the drawbacks . My idea is to add options which tie in to factions which appeared in the story. The biggest example being the Awakened: one of the undead created by Joko. Another idea might be cleansed Branded: skin embedded with Aurene's crystals.

The "conflict" is that there are a few people who want to see new races but creating new races often involves making new armor, new maps, recording new dialogue. We have battle tonics but you can't customize them, or use your mounts. We have infusions but those sometimes come with stats we don't want, or don't work with certain hair (Example Toy Shell infusion changes your skin , hair and eyes however it does not work with all hair. This can be an expensive disappointment for someone.) They can also be extremely hard to get, depending on luck.

Why have a completely separate kit? Because this option would cost more due to the extensive nature of it. It would not make sense to make all makeover kits cost double for this addition. In before "but then it's pointless" - remember we have separate hair kits for similar reasons.

Oh, nono. The Palawa Joko quote was just a little jab at how a lot of people choose to look, not that I didn't know the purpose of a Makeover Kit. I'm just saying that, if all that's going to be done is change the appearance, either mildly or extreme, no matter what it looks like; nothing map-related, story, or lorewise would have to be adjusted, as deep down beneath all of the changes, you're still "Commander" to the rest of the game. And that alone would increase the possibility of such a kit.

@"KidRoleplay.3615" said:Oh, nono. The Palawa Joko quote was just a little jab at how a lot of people choose to look, not that I didn't know the purpose of a Makeover Kit. I'm just saying that, if all that's going to be done is change the appearance, either mildly or extreme, no matter what it looks like; nothing map-related, story, or lorewise would have to be adjusted, as deep down beneath all of the changes, you're still "Commander" to the rest of the game. And that alone would increase the possibility of such a kit.

Oh! Well I mentioned that because one of the arguments about adding "Tengu" was that you would have to change the story because it wouldn't make sense for them to fight Zhaitan or something. And while the ELITE makeover kit would not be adding things that would alter your character's race necessarily, there are some people who hate infusion and even some things out of the basic makeover kit because it is immersion breaking. (neon hair for example.) So I had to also include that my idea ties in with the story too a little bit without relying on the usual tonic or infusion gimmick but also helping to generate revenue for the game.

Do I think it will be as wildly popular, no - due to the cost. I think it would sit around the same place exclusive single mount licenses sit. Though : imagine if they stuck an ELITE makeover kit in Black Lion Chests!Dude, imagine being able to have a human with scars on their body? Not just their face? Or even a charr. Charr branding tatts, and asura with tattoos. There's so many possibilities.

If this is just about appearance, what exactly is the reason that what we already have: aka permanent transformation tonics, is not sufficient?

You are not going to get a new race this way.You are not going to get a new story-line this way.

All I see are detriments to the current permanent tonics and even worse: at a severe development resource cost for near no use.

@Obfuscate.6430 said:

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:Some of these points sound like they'd be expensive to implement and/or break in combination with other game mechanics.

This is not a tonic. It's a permanent change to your character's skin texture map. Just like changing your character's hair style or using an infusion wouldn't change those game instances, this idea also wouldn't.While my idea could be added to a standard makeover kit, expanding the options ten fold , the cost as you pointed out would be expensive to make. That is why I'm calling this an ELITE makeover kit, and it is separate from the default one. It would cost about $20-25 each. It would be the ultimate customization exclusive with no reliance on RNG, with no weird glitchy drawbacks, and you would be able to ride your mounts, and look as cool as you want in any story instance and through any game mechanic.

Your first suggestion was looking like one of Palawa Joko's awakened. That's more than just a skin texture map, that's a completely different skeleton and model. Or do you mean more like the special awakened like Koss? In that case the effect could be achieved with an infusion. And since I saw you mention Tengu: Those too would require a different skeleton and model. It's either a potion-like effect that also changes your armor (because most armor doesn't have a model for Tengu) or we're back to the reason why a new race is highly unlikely.

About the cost of $20-25 each: making something expensive does not automatically make it pay for itself. Even if you call it "Elite" or something. The gist is that fewer people are willing to pay a higher price and more purchases are made at a lower price.fzz5H5e.pngThere is a market equilibrium at which both increasing and decreasing the price result in less money earned. I doubt the $20-25 is anywhere near the market equilibrium and for the associated cost with increasing the standard makeover kit's options tenfold I doubt that it would pay off even at market equilibrium.

@Obfuscate.6430 said:

@"KidRoleplay.3615" said:Oh, nono. The Palawa Joko quote was just a little jab at how a lot of people choose to look, not that I didn't know the purpose of a Makeover Kit. I'm just saying that, if all that's going to be done is change the appearance, either mildly or extreme, no matter what it looks like; nothing map-related, story, or lorewise would have to be adjusted, as deep down beneath all of the changes, you're still "Commander" to the rest of the game. And that alone would increase the possibility of such a kit.

Oh! Well I mentioned that because one of the arguments about adding "Tengu" was that you would have to change the story because it wouldn't make sense for them to fight Zhaitan or something. And while the ELITE makeover kit would not be adding things that would alter your character's race necessarily, there are some people who hate infusion and even some things out of the basic makeover kit because it is immersion breaking. (neon hair for example.) So I had to also include that my idea ties in with the story too a little bit without relying on the usual tonic or infusion gimmick but also helping to generate revenue for the game.

Do I think it will be as wildly popular, no - due to the cost. I think it would sit around the same place exclusive single mount licenses sit. Though : imagine if they stuck an ELITE makeover kit in Black Lion Chests!Dude, imagine being able to have a human with scars on their body? Not just their face? Or even a charr. Charr branding tatts, and asura with tattoos. There's so many possibilities.

No longer typing from a phone. Hurray!

At any rate, I do believe this is plausible to an extent, so long as the base race (model appearance) doesn't change. An Awakened, Branded, scarred, tattooed, whatever human for example could just be a new skin texture. They haven't added any new skin textures yet, but it would be nice; while hair and eyes are already done. Charr tails looking different also seems like a possibility, but I wouldn't expect things like earrings. At most, it'd be something baked into a specific hair style. Otherwise it'd be expanding on character options that aren't already accounted for in some way. Might be rough considering the game's "spaghetti code."

Since you mentioned Battle Tonics, those often change your appearance to such an extent that they'd likely not get behind whatever someone's humanoid (or feline-esque) tonic would look like with armor on it. Especially given how long it took them to release capes saying that clipping was one of their greater concerns. However, the argument that it'd be immersion-breaking wouldn't mean much. Everything can or cannot be immersion-breaking to someone, as everyone's got opinions, and so that shouldn't matter. I'm not for a single moment compelled to believe that a great slayer of dragons and legendary wielder of the Pale Mother's Caladbolg is some eldritch, pulsating effigy of glowing infusions (but maybe some are, and that's fine!).

All in all, I still believe some of it can be done; I'd just like such things included in the existing Total Makeover Kit, personally. But anything beyond that enters into the "new race" field, which, as you're probably sure, comes with all sorts of obstacles making the task unrealistic and financially… unwise.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:Some of these points sound like they'd be expensive to implement and/or break in combination with other game mechanics.

Your first suggestion was looking like one of Palawa Joko's awakened. That's more than just a skin texture map, that's a completely different skeleton and model. Or do you mean more like the special awakened like Koss? In that case the effect could be achieved with an infusion. And since I saw you mention Tengu: Those too would require a different skeleton and model. It's either a potion-like effect that also changes your armor (because most armor doesn't have a model for Tengu) or we're back to the reason why a new race is highly unlikely.

About the cost of $20-25 each: making something expensive does not automatically make it pay for itself. Even if you call it "Elite" or something. The gist is that fewer people are willing to pay a higher price and more purchases are made at a lower price.

There is a market equilibrium at which both increasing and decreasing the price result in less money earned. I doubt the $20-25 is anywhere near the market equilibrium and for the associated cost with increasing the standard makeover kit's options tenfold I doubt that it would pay off even at market equilibrium.

I feel like what I am writing is not being read. Maybe I am saying too much? Let me try again.

1) I am suggesting that the ELITE makeover kit includes a skin TEXTURE change. This will NOT change the shape or animation of your character at all.2) The ELITE makeover kit will NOT include new races. It will NOT change your character's shape.

Why have ELITE makeover kits when you can use tonics or infusions ?1) The ELITE makeover kit would provide permanent changes that allow you to use your mount, and will not rely on RNG, achievements and will not have to be socketed in to gear to use.

2) The cost is simply a reflection of the difficult nature of the product both in production and implementation. It is not intended to balance the market, it is about adding an option while maintaining an exclusive feel and giving back something to the game and developers.

@Cyninja.2954 said:If this is just about appearance, what exactly is the reason that what we already have: aka permanent transformation tonics, is not sufficient?

You are not going to get a new race this way.You are not going to get a new story-line this way.

All I see are detriments to the current permanent tonics and even worse: at a severe development resource cost for near no use.

I feel like somewhat what I wrote was not read, or is maybe hard to understand? . I am sorry it is confusing. Let me try to summarize.

The ELITE makeover kit changes your character's skin only - that is the artwork used to cover the frame used to animate your character.The ELITE makeover kit's options are based on, or inspired by things ALREADY in the story. (Awakened, Branded, Scars, Tattoos)The ELITE makeover kit permanently changes your characters appearance. Tonics DO NOT permanently change your character's appearance and prevent you from using your mount and you can not customize it. Infusions must be fused with your trinkets, can have stats you don't like, can not be previewed and sometimes does not work with all hair, requires RNG to acquire or are bound to achievements, can be expensive and have disappointing results. The ELITE makeover kit DOES NOT REPLACE tonics or infusions but provides a unique total body makeover without any of the above draw backs.The end result is more revenue for Arenanet and more options for players.

@Obfuscate.6430 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:If this is just about appearance, what exactly is the reason that what we already have: aka permanent transformation tonics, is not sufficient?

I feel like somewhat what I wrote was not read, or is maybe hard to understand? . I am sorry it is confusing. Let me try to summarize.

The ELITE makeover kit changes your character's skin only - that is the artwork used to cover the frame used to animate your character.The ELITE makeover kit's options are based on, or inspired by things ALREADY in the story. (Awakened, Branded, Scars, Tattoos)

So in short: you want story themed skin tones with specific depictions of potentially story related elements.

Could be doable, yet how visual would this actually be? Around 90% of all visible skin on most characters is covered by armor, unless a player specifically decides to not use armor. Even the most revealing armors and outfits cover large portions of a players base skin.

@Obfuscate.6430 said:The ELITE makeover kit permanently changes your characters appearance. Tonics DO NOT permanently change your character's appearance and prevent you from using your mount and you can not customize it. Infusions must be fused with your trinkets, can have stats you don't like, can not be previewed and sometimes does not work with all hair, requires RNG to acquire or are bound to achievements, can be expensive and have disappointing results. The ELITE makeover kit DOES NOT REPLACE tonics or infusions but provides a unique total body makeover without any of the above draw backs.

No, it provides an additional layer of work which would take a significant more work THAN those other 2 options. Tonics work the way they do because of the limitations in place. I guarantee you, if making tonics work with mounts and armor or outfits was work load wise feasible, it would have been done.

You are assuming that what you are suggesting would work better than existing customization options, would take less work to develop and would bring less detriments with it. Very questionable assumption.

@Obfuscate.6430 said:The end result is more revenue for Arenanet and more options for players.

Revenue alone is insignificant if it is not put into perspective of the workload required behind it. Let us assume this does generate more revenue even against competing similar work tasks, like extra faces, skin tones, haircuts, etc., you are still assuming this will generate worthwhile revenue when put in perspective of the work it would take.

I could off the top of my head name 5 things which would generate a TON of revenue, which are just as unfeasible because to implement those would take a studio 3-4 times the size or more of what Arenanet currently has on staff. That does not make those ideas bad, it simply makes them unrealistic.

Wanted to choose cool idea, but then. No. This game is already too much cluttered between all the substitutes around: dungeons turn into dungeon 1 path and tier = fractals. Raids turn into mini short raid with 1 boss = strikes. Mount became prenium mount skin and then mount license appeared....

The item exist: self hair kit and makeover kit. And they have one thing to do, upgrade them with new looks. Armors was here and now looks is sacrified for outfits. Do you want to sacrifice your overal appearance now to just be an awakened? Sigh, better do a combat tonic. Oopsie it already exist! It is called infinite awakened archer tonic! And you can have several differents one use thanks to dungeons.

Why putting another gating behind gems whereas it can be added to makeover kit. Useless.

NOT GONNA PAY 1600 GEMS For your thing