Gathering Tools — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Players Helping Players

Gathering Tools

HappyGilmore.1597HappyGilmore.1597 Member ✭✭
edited February 18, 2021 in Players Helping Players

Before I start I would like to let everyone know that my knowledge is limited to what I could find and know what to look for in the 2 week period I have been back since September 2015.
There are currently some Gathering Tools on the Gem store: Choya and Glacial with Glyphs in them. I have been doing some research and people are saying the Volatile set is the best for money because you get the tools and the expensive glyphs. I have heard that the Watchwork pick was a good tool as well.

My questions are:
Should I wait for the Volatile? (2700gems apparently)
or Should I just purchase something else.

I watched a few videos on the different Glyphs and tools animations.

I have 3 toons at level 80
Relatively Bare account
Currently farming Winterberries for accessories.

Any knowledge and information that you can bestow would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

  • You could look this article over for some insight: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gathering_tool

    Choosing Unlimited Gathering Tools can be a matter of preference for animation, speed, and/or bonus. Really up to you what you find most desirable.

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The glyph itself is worth at least 1200 to 1300 gems so it is worth it in that regard but as for which is the best glyph that depends on your goals. The best glyph for getting gold depends on market conditions.

  • @Khisanth.2948 said:
    The glyph itself is worth at least 1200 to 1300 gems so it is worth it in that regard but as for which is the best glyph that depends on your goals. The best glyph for getting gold depends on market conditions.

    That was one of the reasons I was looking into getting the Infinite Volatile Gathering Tools. I have no idea when they were on the Gem Store or when they will be back. I don't want to wait a year if that is the rotation. I cannot find a Gem Store rotation chart anywhere.

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    There is no rotation. Items appear when Anet decides to bring them back. You may want to watch this thread for announcements which is also stickied at the top of the forum for convenience: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/458/news-gemstore-items-new-returned-sales

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • @kharmin.7683 said:
    There is no rotation. Items appear when Anet decides to bring them back. You may want to watch this thread for announcements which is also stickied at the top of the forum for convenience: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/458/news-gemstore-items-new-returned-sales

    I searched for a while on there and I think it was there or another forums post that said the last time the "Infinite Volatile Gathering Tools" showed up on the Gem Store was January 2020.

  • Farohna.6247Farohna.6247 Member ✭✭✭

    They are usually in the gem store at least two or three times a year...and yes they are a useful purchase, I quite like mine. Also have an unbreakable set, also useful in their own right with watchwork sprockets and unbound magic glyphs. Keep an eye out, no there is not an established pattern to the gem store sadly. Possibly won't see them again for a few months.

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    There isn't really any useful pattern. They were available twice in 2018, five times in 2019, once in 2020 ...

  • @Farohna.6247 said:
    They are usually in the gem store at least two or three times a year...and yes they are a useful purchase, I quite like mine. Also have an unbreakable set, also useful in their own right with watchwork sprockets and unbound magic glyphs. Keep an eye out, no there is not an established pattern to the gem store sadly. Possibly won't see them again for a few months.

    @Khisanth.2948 said:
    There isn't really any useful pattern. They were available twice in 2018, five times in 2019, once in 2020 ...

    So I will be playing the waiting game. Fun......................

  • Farohna.6247Farohna.6247 Member ✭✭✭

    Sorry Happy, afraid so. Can always use karma to buy tools (granted breakable ones) if you want to farm specifics and give them a try. Not the greatest use for karma but sometimes a nice way to get some extra mats or just to see how you like the idea of it.

  • I use the unbound magic gathering tools and clear around 40 gold profit every time I spend about 62-63k unbound magic. But that requires having living world season 3. Whenever you do get around to buying one of the unbreakable sets, get three shared inventory slots to put them in and swap them around on your different characters. Get a 4th slot for the copper fed salvageomatic while you are at it. That is the best bang for your buck, in my opinion.

  • @Farohna.6247 said:
    Sorry Happy, afraid so. Can always use karma to buy tools (granted breakable ones) if you want to farm specifics and give them a try. Not the greatest use for karma but sometimes a nice way to get some extra mats or just to see how you like the idea of it.

    I will have to do that for the time being unless I hit the lottery ingame or IRL for some of the glyphs with for gathering. My biggest annoyance with the breakable is that they only stack to 50. If I could have like 2000 in a stack or something I wouldn't have it so much.

    @Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946 said:
    I use the unbound magic gathering tools and clear around 40 gold profit every time I spend about 62-63k unbound magic. But that requires having living world season 3. Whenever you do get around to buying one of the unbreakable sets, get three shared inventory slots to put them in and swap them around on your different characters. Get a 4th slot for the copper fed salvageomatic while you are at it. That is the best bang for your buck, in my opinion.

    Those are also gem store items right? I can get the slots and the copper fed now but I have to wait for a magic gathering tool set or spend alot of gold/cash for glyphs. I was also told I need to min/max my gathering tools. Apparently some skins are better for gathering and some glitch. My brain from taking such a long break hurts.

  • Allegedly there are some things you can do to min/max your harvesting tools, but, in my opinion, that's down to the level of micromanagement that makes my head hurt. Admittedly, I'm interested in getting all the unbound magic I can, so I don't bother with anything but the unbound magic gathering tools - a different tool might save me a second per harvest, but all those saved seconds are going to blown away by the minutes wasted waiting to attack the Octovine in Auric Basin or waiting for people to hop in my T1 Fractal pug, or spent helping someone that calls out in map chat that they need help with some hero challenge. Worrying about min/maxing my harvesting tools is just too far down in the weeds and whatever savings it would get me is going to get lost in the signal noise of just playing the game. The big advantage of unbreakable tools just comes from never running out of harvesting tools and never having to spend gold on harvesting tools again. Same with the coper-fed salvageomatic, I think about about a half-copper cheaper per salvage than a basic salvage kit, but it isn't any faster, but it never runs out. I bought the silver one too, but, if I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought the copper one and kept a mystic salvage kit for salvaging rare items.