The aesthetic of GW2 has become compromised/let us turn off flashy armor - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

The aesthetic of GW2 has become compromised/let us turn off flashy armor

2>

Comments

  • Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    GW2 started off fairly similar,

    GW2 started off with a baseball cap. Just saying.

    That said, I concur that there's way too much flashy, immersion-breaking nonsense.

    This post contains my opinion.

  • @Svarty.8019 Yes I'm aware, however, you pretty much never see someone wear it and that's all there was. It was a novelty and almost joke item. It's gone too far now though.

  • @firedragon.8953 said:
    I hope there will be more realistic and elegant armor designs with EoD.

    With all the shiny armor and weapons sets, it does get a bit ridiculous. At least I don't have to spend RL money or grind out achievements for much of the gaudy stuff available. So personally I don't mind, but being glowy is definitely not special in this game. If anything, staying in "regular" armor makes you stand out more. haha

    I really, REALLY hope we will actually get some substantial additions from EoD. We've gotten pretty much nothing from the past two expansions.

  • DonArkanio.6419DonArkanio.6419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    @DonArkanio.6419 But is it REALLY what people want? Nobody WANTED Minecraft, but turns out people really /WANTED/ Minecraft, once it was offered.

    I think nobody asked for this, but once these items started showing up in the GemStore people have become willing to spend hundreds of dollars on it.
    People like to flash and shine, it's a status. Just like a fast and loud car that everyone hates hearing outside their window.

    ANet shouldn't have introduced these items in the first place, now it's kind their way of making money. I'd say we are likely to see the increase in quantity of this laser shining garbage. Even after watching End of the Dragons teaser I can say it's going to be an eye-burner.

  • @DonArkanio.6419 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    @DonArkanio.6419 But is it REALLY what people want? Nobody WANTED Minecraft, but turns out people really /WANTED/ Minecraft, once it was offered.

    I think nobody asked for this, but once these items started showing up in the GemStore people have become willing to spend hundreds of dollars on it.
    People like to flash and shine, it's a status. Just like a fast and loud car that everyone hates hearing outside their window.

    ANet shouldn't have introduced these items in the first place, now it's kind their way of making money. I'd say we are likely to see the increase in quantity of this laser shining garbage. Even after watching End of the Dragons teaser I can say it's going to be an eye-burner.

    That still doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option to turn it off client-side though.

  • voltaicbore.8012voltaicbore.8012 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    That still doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option to turn it off client-side though.

    I think their point is not that there shouldn't be an option, but most likely there won't be an option.

    I've never once seen an infusion and though, "wow, now THAT isn't pure visual garbage." I haven't really seen the otter one people like so much, so I guess I should reserve judgment on that, but yeah. Not a fan of the "all flash, no substance" style that the game's aesthetic has taken.

  • @voltaicbore.8012 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    That still doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option to turn it off client-side though.

    I think their point is not that there shouldn't be an option, but most likely there won't be an option.

    I've never once seen an infusion and though, "wow, now THAT isn't pure visual garbage." I haven't really seen the otter one people like so much, so I guess I should reserve judgment on that, but yeah. Not a fan of the "all flash, no substance" style that the game's aesthetic has taken.

    Oh I know there most likely won't be one, but you aren't lowering your chances by voicing an interest.

  • WindBlade.8749WindBlade.8749 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021

    Asking for an option to turn the effect is fine, but complaining that it's aenet fault that everyone wear glowy out of lore kitten is stupid, yes they made it but it's the player that choose to wear them not areanet, and where you can understand that some prestigious items that people will want to wear them just to show of, nowday a lot of kitten that glow is not even prestigious item anymore and are easy to get, (just look at most of wings, cat ears and all others).
    Specialy when there way more classic skins than shining one by a large marge.
    Sorry but one of the problem that this gave have for "lore fashion related to your class or character" is that there is only generic gear that look nice or not. There is no class gears or things like that, which mean that if you're lucky you can find gears that fit your character's lore with a lot of testing (choose the right gears and colors) or just make a set of gears which go well with your character for you even if it's not lore related.

    So it's cleary just the player that want to wear what they want, you don't like it ok but everyone is entilted to wear what they want.
    You complain about that it's not like the old style anymore but all theses old gears and armors are still here for players that want to use them if they want.
    And even the flashy stuff is still in the guild wars 2 style, maybe not lore friendly yes but it's still in the cartoon paint like style of gw2.

  • @WindBlade.8749 said:
    Asking for an option to turn the effect is fine, but complaining that it's aenet fault that everyone wear glowy out of lore kitten is stupid, yes they made it but it's the player that choose to wear them not areanet, and where you can understand that some prestigious items that people will want to wear them just to show of, nowday a lot of kitten that glow is not even prestigious item anymore and are easy to get, (just look at most of wings, cat ears and all others).
    Specialy when there way more classic skins than shining one by a large marge.
    Sorry but one of the problem that this gave have for "lore fashion related to your class or character" is that there is only generic gear that look nice or not. There is no class gears or things like that, which mean that if you're lucky you can find gears that fit your character's lore with a lot of testing (choose the right gears and colors) or just make a set of gears which go well with your character for you even if it's not lore related.

    So it's cleary just the player that want to wear what they want, you don't like it ok but everyone is entilted to wear what they want.
    You complain about that it's not like the old style anymore but all theses old gears and armors are still here for players that want to use them if they want.

    I'm not really sure who you're addressing with this. I did not blame Anet (although saying to 'not blame them' is somewhat silly. It IS afterall executives at Anet that decide to go this direction. Really the biggest mistake they made I'd say is adding glowy kitten AND making it the most prestigious things in the game) nor did I say people can't wear what they want. I know old gear and armour are there to be used (I use it after all) my complaint was with the flashy gear ruining the game experience for players looking for immersion, and so an option to turn the bling off would be beneficial. I'm also not sure what you mean by there aren't 'class gears' since there's 3 armor classes which I think is enough. Restricting armor by individual class rather than armor class would only cause more issues with the choices becoming even more limited.

  • WindBlade.8749WindBlade.8749 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    Really the biggest mistake they made I'd say is adding glowy kitten AND making it the most prestigious things in the game)

    Believe me even if the shiny item were not the most prestigious items most of people will still use them since it's what the majority of people prefer, you can already see that with all the shiny of the cash shop that are not prestigious at all but most of people use them anyway..

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    I'm also not sure what you mean by there aren't 'class gears' since there's 3 armor classes which I think is enough

    I speak about armor that take as a theme a class, like the weaver armors, the druid armors etc... in others mmo like ffxiv to take a game i play there is a lot of themed armors related to class... that why there is less people using flashy gears since they can find gears that suit their characters and their class. It's not the same for gw2, if you want to make a fashion for a weaver you only have a few gears that will fit the class, it's all personal flavor after all, i found one that i like (not to old school but not too over the top, a thing that fit well the weaver asthetic).

    I like colorful armors (not shiny just colorful) with a exotic models, i often go for the color scheme of the class (so my weaver is flaming dark red (in the style of my profile picture) with gears that make her look like a agile swordman) or my druid who is muscular norne carrying the team in raids (lol) my mesmer who like a purple demon (for lack of word it's fit more than the description rip) But when i can't do that i just make them look nice even if it's not class related.

    As for infusion, some of my character have them but never more than 1 (or 2 in the past for one my of char)) because it's still go well with some fashion (only a few infusion i don't like the infusion that change your skins .....).

  • @WindBlade.8749 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    Really the biggest mistake they made I'd say is adding glowy kitten AND making it the most prestigious things in the game)

    Believe me even if the shiny item were not the most prestigious items most of people will still use them since it's what the majority of people prefer, you can already see that with all the shiny of the cash shop that are not prestigious at all but most of people use them anyway..

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    I'm also not sure what you mean by there aren't 'class gears' since there's 3 armor classes which I think is enough

    I speak about armor that take as a theme a class, like the weaver armors, the druid armors etc... in others mmo like ffxiv to take a game i play there is a lot of themed armors related to class... that why there is less people using flashy gears since they can find gears that suit their characters and their class. It's not the same for gw2, if you want to make a fashion for a weaver you only have a few gears that will fit the class, it's all personal flavor after all, i found one that i like (not to old school but not too over the top, a thing that fit well the weaver asthetic).

    I like colorful armors (not shiny just colorful) with a exotic models, i often go for the color scheme of the class (so my weaver is flaming dark red (in the style of my profile picture) with gears that make her look like a agile swordman) or my druid who is muscular norne carrying the team in raids (lol) my mesmer who like a purple demon (for lack of word it's fit more than the description rip) But when i can't do that i just make them look nice even if it's not class related.

    As for infusion, some of my character have them but never more than 1 (or 2 in the past for one my of char)) because it's still go well with some fashion (only a few infusion i don't like the infusion that change your skins .....).

    But the cash shop items ARE prestigious. They show you have money to throw at digital hats for a fictional character in a fictional world. I agree on the class armor front. THAT'S what they should be adding. What happened to kekai and their beautiful designs?

  • WindBlade.8749WindBlade.8749 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    @WindBlade.8749 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    Really the biggest mistake they made I'd say is adding glowy kitten AND making it the most prestigious things in the game)

    Believe me even if the shiny item were not the most prestigious items most of people will still use them since it's what the majority of people prefer, you can already see that with all the shiny of the cash shop that are not prestigious at all but most of people use them anyway..

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    I'm also not sure what you mean by there aren't 'class gears' since there's 3 armor classes which I think is enough

    I speak about armor that take as a theme a class, like the weaver armors, the druid armors etc... in others mmo like ffxiv to take a game i play there is a lot of themed armors related to class... that why there is less people using flashy gears since they can find gears that suit their characters and their class. It's not the same for gw2, if you want to make a fashion for a weaver you only have a few gears that will fit the class, it's all personal flavor after all, i found one that i like (not to old school but not too over the top, a thing that fit well the weaver asthetic).

    I like colorful armors (not shiny just colorful) with a exotic models, i often go for the color scheme of the class (so my weaver is flaming dark red (in the style of my profile picture) with gears that make her look like a agile swordman) or my druid who is muscular norne carrying the team in raids (lol) my mesmer who like a purple demon (for lack of word it's fit more than the description rip) But when i can't do that i just make them look nice even if it's not class related.

    As for infusion, some of my character have them but never more than 1 (or 2 in the past for one my of char)) because it's still go well with some fashion (only a few infusion i don't like the infusion that change your skins .....).

    But the cash shop items ARE prestigious. They show you have money to throw at digital hats for a fictional character in a fictional world. I agree on the class armor front. THAT'S what they should be adding. What happened to kekai and their beautiful designs?

    Really ? i play 1-2 hours by day not even farming, only playing what i like and can still do 1 legendary item every 1-1. month and buying cash items with gold conversion.
    How is that prestigious..
    And don't worry even if the next shiny will be really easy to get people will still use it...

  • @WindBlade.8749 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    @WindBlade.8749 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    Really the biggest mistake they made I'd say is adding glowy kitten AND making it the most prestigious things in the game)

    Believe me even if the shiny item were not the most prestigious items most of people will still use them since it's what the majority of people prefer, you can already see that with all the shiny of the cash shop that are not prestigious at all but most of people use them anyway..

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    I'm also not sure what you mean by there aren't 'class gears' since there's 3 armor classes which I think is enough

    I speak about armor that take as a theme a class, like the weaver armors, the druid armors etc... in others mmo like ffxiv to take a game i play there is a lot of themed armors related to class... that why there is less people using flashy gears since they can find gears that suit their characters and their class. It's not the same for gw2, if you want to make a fashion for a weaver you only have a few gears that will fit the class, it's all personal flavor after all, i found one that i like (not to old school but not too over the top, a thing that fit well the weaver asthetic).

    I like colorful armors (not shiny just colorful) with a exotic models, i often go for the color scheme of the class (so my weaver is flaming dark red (in the style of my profile picture) with gears that make her look like a agile swordman) or my druid who is muscular norne carrying the team in raids (lol) my mesmer who like a purple demon (for lack of word it's fit more than the description rip) But when i can't do that i just make them look nice even if it's not class related.

    As for infusion, some of my character have them but never more than 1 (or 2 in the past for one my of char)) because it's still go well with some fashion (only a few infusion i don't like the infusion that change your skins .....).

    But the cash shop items ARE prestigious. They show you have money to throw at digital hats for a fictional character in a fictional world. I agree on the class armor front. THAT'S what they should be adding. What happened to kekai and their beautiful designs?

    Really ? i play 1-2 hours by day not even farming, only playing what i like and can still do 1 legendary item every 1-1. month and buying cash items with gold conversion.
    How is that prestigious..
    And don't worry even if the next shiny will be really easy to get people will still use it...

    Because a lot of people who wear these are either young children to whom £8-20 is a LOT of money to spend on something like that and are yet too young to understand the MMO conventions of things like farming or people who don't actually want to play the game but just want to stand around looking shiny.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021

    @Svarty.8019 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    GW2 started off fairly similar,

    GW2 started off with a baseball cap. Just saying.

    And The Moot. And the rainbow unicorn-shooting shortbow. You can't forget those.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Svarty.8019 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    GW2 started off fairly similar,

    GW2 started off with a baseball cap. Just saying.

    And The Moot. And the rainbow unicorn-shooting shortbow. You can't forget those.

    At the time these were extremely rare. I went months before I even learned they existed. And you even have the option to turn the flashy projectiles off server side, so we know it can be done.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Svarty.8019 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    GW2 started off fairly similar,

    GW2 started off with a baseball cap. Just saying.

    And The Moot. And the rainbow unicorn-shooting shortbow. You can't forget those.

    At the time these were extremely rare. I went months before I even learned they existed.

    I'm quite sure i saw someone waving double moots in one of the cities even before southsun update. Although you are right - at the time people preferred to burn other people's eyes out with male charrs in pink dresses meta. TBH, i'm not sure if one is an improvement over the other.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Bellbirds.1679Bellbirds.1679 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Svarty.8019 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    GW2 started off fairly similar,

    GW2 started off with a baseball cap. Just saying.

    And The Moot. And the rainbow unicorn-shooting shortbow. You can't forget those.

    At the time these were extremely rare. I went months before I even learned they existed.

    I'm quite sure i saw someone waving double moots in one of the cities even before southsun update. Although you are right - at the time people preferred to burn other people's eyes out with male charrs in pink dresses meta. TBH, i'm not sure if one is an improvement over the other.

    Arguing about whether things of this type existed at launch is irrelevant. Of course a person could make a ridiculous looking character if they wanted to! As you said, take a norn or charr and slap some pink dye on them and your done, if you're really committed you'll even spend your time and resources on crafting one of the joke legendaries. However, you can't deny that this was /rare/. Rare enough that you could see it, have a chuckle and move on. But now massive glowing wings, multiple stacked infusions and a glowing greatsword is the /norm/. I see more players looking like that than I see in normal armor, and you can't escape it.

  • Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Svarty.8019 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    GW2 started off fairly similar,

    GW2 started off with a baseball cap. Just saying.

    And The Moot. And the rainbow unicorn-shooting shortbow. You can't forget those.

    At the time these were extremely rare. I went months before I even learned they existed.

    I'm quite sure i saw someone waving double moots in one of the cities even before southsun update. Although you are right - at the time people preferred to burn other people's eyes out with male charrs in pink dresses meta. TBH, i'm not sure if one is an improvement over the other.

    Arguing about whether things of this type existed at launch is irrelevant.

    But the thread is called "The aesthetic of GW2 has become compromised", suggesting that once upon a time it wasn't a flashy mess.

    This post contains my opinion.

  • Bellbirds.1679Bellbirds.1679 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021

    @Svarty.8019 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Svarty.8019 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    GW2 started off fairly similar,

    GW2 started off with a baseball cap. Just saying.

    And The Moot. And the rainbow unicorn-shooting shortbow. You can't forget those.

    At the time these were extremely rare. I went months before I even learned they existed.

    I'm quite sure i saw someone waving double moots in one of the cities even before southsun update. Although you are right - at the time people preferred to burn other people's eyes out with male charrs in pink dresses meta. TBH, i'm not sure if one is an improvement over the other.

    Arguing about whether things of this type existed at launch is irrelevant.

    But the thread is called "The aesthetic of GW2 has become compromised", suggesting that once upon a time it wasn't a flashy mess.

    It WASN'T a flashy mess. Just because some flashy items existed didn't mean they caused significant issues considering how few and far between they were. What I'm describing is how these items have become much, much more prevalent to the point of being the norm.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    It WASN'T a flashy mess. Just because some flashy items existed didn't mean they caused significant issues considering how few and far between they were.

    The threads about aestethics of GW2 being "wrong" for one reason or another were there since day one. Some of those were about things like Moot, some were about charr in pink dresses, some were about unrealistic armor looks, some about Ranger Trenchcoat Brigade, and some about too revealing female clothing. What constitutes "compromised" aestethics varies wildly depending on whom you ask, but most of those things were present in this game from the very beginning.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Bellbirds.1679Bellbirds.1679 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    It WASN'T a flashy mess. Just because some flashy items existed didn't mean they caused significant issues considering how few and far between they were.

    The threads about aestethics of GW2 being "wrong" for one reason or another were there since day one. Some of those were about things like Moot, some were about charr in pink dresses, some were about unrealistic armor looks, some about Ranger Trenchcoat Brigade, and some about too revealing female clothing. What constitutes "compromised" aestethics varies wildly depending on whom you ask, but most of those things were present in this game from the very beginning.

    Of course! I address that these things existed to begin with in my original post. However, back then I did not need to avoid major cities and play at the lowest traffic hours in order to even attempt to avoid them.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Bellbirds.1679 said:
    Of course! I address that these things existed to begin with in my original post. However, back then I did not need to avoid major cities and play at the lowest traffic hours in order to even attempt to avoid them.

    Oh, i don't know, some of those things were always there, and very hard to avoid. For example, if anything, there's more non-trenchcoat options for rangers now than in the first years.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Come play spvp, there's no infusion-based eye sores to worry about and a lot less overall fashion flashiness.

  • I could not agree with the OP's sentiment more. I now have 5 of my 6 pieces of Ascended armor crafted. None as of yet have any infusions in them. I have no plans on doing fractals and the only infusions I would really be interested in are the ones with an additional stat. All of those are gaudy as hell with all manner of weird lighting effects. I like my character's look as it is. I don't want those horrible gaudy effects and therefore those infusion slots will remain empty.

  • Astyrah.4015Astyrah.4015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2021

    @Eraden.8740 said:
    I have no plans on doing fractals and the only infusions I would really be interested in are the ones with an additional stat. All of those are gaudy as hell with all manner of weird lighting effects.

    you can get the wvw infusions they also give +5 to stats while having no visual effects like the fractal ones (difference being wvw infusions give bonus damage to guards and stuff, while fractal infusions give agony resist)

    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion#WvW_Infusions

  • @YaminoNakani.7083 said:
    Come play spvp, there's no infusion-based eye sores to worry about and a lot less overall fashion flashiness.

    But my enjoyment of the game lies in PvE: exploring the world, story, lore, roleplay. I have never enjoyed PvP.

  • ElijahFitzroy.5762ElijahFitzroy.5762 Member ✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021

    Deleted this post

  • @ElijahFitzroy.5762 said:
    Deleted this post

    May I ask why?