Why do people still fail content from 2015... — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Why do people still fail content from 2015...

I just don't get why people still fail easy as kitten HoT metas so easily. No offense I'm just curious.
This also applies to 2012 content. Just why...

I'm Hunter, he/him
Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2
Meme God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Comments

• Farohna.6247Farohna.6247 Member ✭✭✭

New players learning the ropes, and many who still don't help out but sit and wait for metas. Some people don't follow basic instructions well (i.e. auric basin meta...hold at x percentage).

Mostly I find the maps I join who are actively progressing a meta do very well. LFG groups are usually very successful as well since people want to be there and help.

Fair question, lots of variables.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021

lmao, HoT players from 2015 hardly play it.. also i was on the AB multimap farm era(probably 9 months), i have near 50K + Aurilium..., i have HoT stuff enough to make 2 or 3 legendaries with Magumma Insight.

Theres only 2 or 3 hot achievs left behind related to adventures(the king of jungle to get chak gerent mini), because im the kind of player that dislike minigames. i also even have the "migraine" achievment.

Im doing atm, LS4 achievs, in december 2020 i was hoping on some POF maps to make skyscale and other collections where have POF stuff, theres lots of players just start PoF now.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• MattDu.7123MattDu.7123 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2021

post removed

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

My experience is that the average player is much more skilled and knowledgable than they were in 2015, especially in raids and open world metas. Not a high benchmark though, 2015 players were used to being fed on monsters that didn't fight back, and shovelling up the silverwastes.

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's funny, lately when I do the Auric basin meta, and a side kill the octovine on first try without waiting for the other 3, instead of failing, the other 3 just rush the kill, and the meta completes in 1 go. It's something that didn't happen 6 years ago.

• Crono.4197Crono.4197 Member ✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021

I'm on the opposite side actually. Events have become too easy and now anyone rarely fails them. A bit of "oh will we make it?" tension is good to spice up the events, imo. But that tension is gone because now no one fails Dragon's Stand or Octovines anymore. They don't need to be super hard as in we can't complete them unless we do everything 100% right, but killing octovines, Blight Towers and Mouth of Mordremoth in one go is certainly too easy.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

My guild has plenty of new players and plenty of returning players and plenty of people playing a long time, but don't play that much or that often. It's not like everyone lives in the game. As for people reading chat while playing an area they barely know, that's not possible for everyone.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

1) There are always new players
    2) There are always leeches at the meta event and if they outweigh the actual players, the meta fails.
    3) Some metas, looking at you nuhoch lane, can actually fail if people don't know the mechanics. Veterans don't bother explaining the meta and new players don't know about the mechanics and so the meta fails.
    4) Some metas need a certain amount of people, if not enough people show up, the meta fails.

Why bother, just delete the official Forum.

• I'm an old/new player, been playing off and on for years and I have discovered that HoT is usually where I stop playing because the game goes from being a traditional RPGMMO that is very fun, to a platform, jumping/flying puzzle game that is not as fun. If I wanted to play Mario 3d, I would go play Mario 3d. I hate HoT, but I am also too ocd to just skip it, so I slowly grind my way through it until PoF, when in my opinion the game becomes fun again. Admittedly, HoT is a lot easier with mounts, but I still hate it and find it difficult.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Yrch.5491 said:
    I'm an old/new player, been playing off and on for years and I have discovered that HoT is usually where I stop playing because the game goes from being a traditional RPGMMO that is very fun, to a platform, jumping/flying puzzle game that is not as fun. If I wanted to play Mario 3d, I would go play Mario 3d. I hate HoT, but I am also too ocd to just skip it, so I slowly grind my way through it until PoF, when in my opinion the game becomes fun again. Admittedly, HoT is a lot easier with mounts, but I still hate it and find it difficult.

Yes, this. Thank you for this post.

Also, for many of us I imagine, GW2 is not our job. We don't spend many hours each and every day in the game.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• rrusse.7058rrusse.7058 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021

There is a very wide spectrum of skill and knowledge some players have in this game. I believe Arenanet themselves have said the difference in damage output alone can be as great as 10x. Yet Arenanet is forced to develop content that is doable for players that fall into the lowest common denominator, but interesting and challenging enough for experts.
    That's a tall order when you consider that, and the fact that a game like this has veterans that may stop playing, new people coming in for the first time, people that are casual, people that play daily, people that just do content 'x', 'y' or 'z'.

That's why content even from 2012, or 2015 can still fail.

Zommoros giveth and Zommoros taketh away.

• dace.8019dace.8019 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021

When you complete Tarir and people proceed to the looting below and the 2 mobs. One of them always does an attack with a long wind up, a red circle that fills up beneath every player that has aggro'd him. Watch how many people out of the zerg are downed by this. It's easily upwards of 90%. It's like a 3...2...1...dodge/block! And they still fail it. Some of them have been killing this guy for years. The average player in this game (or at least in its OW) is a zero effort casual in a zerg of people who is relying on the sheer weight of numbers and the few who understand any extra mechanics/defiance/whatever to carry them.

Thanks to this carrying, they do not need to learn, so they do not learn, and when those who actually do know how to do events/etc aren't there to essentially do them for them (or lead them), they will fail.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021

Eh, I think ever since we got true DPS, healers and tanks (still an important role for a Comm), everything has been easy. I think while getting The Golden Child title a few years ago, AB only failed maybe a dozen times.

Of course half the time I was leading it, and having a tag up helps alot.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 24 charas, 18k hours, 29k AP | ♀♥♀
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

• Sigmoid.7082Sigmoid.7082 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Yrch.5491 said:
    I'm an old/new player, been playing off and on for years and I have discovered that HoT is usually where I stop playing because the game goes from being a traditional RPGMMO that is very fun, to a platform, jumping/flying puzzle game that is not as fun. If I wanted to play Mario 3d, I would go play Mario 3d. I hate HoT, but I am also too ocd to just skip it, so I slowly grind my way through it until PoF, when in my opinion the game becomes fun again. Admittedly, HoT is a lot easier with mounts, but I still hate it and find it difficult.

Yes, this. Thank you for this post.

Also, for many of us I imagine, GW2 is not our job. We don't spend many hours each and every day in the game.

Fore every person where you find sentiment like the quoted you'll find the opposite, where they thought the game was boring until the challenge HoT brought, then back to boring because of PoF.

I also don't see what correlation there is or you are trying to make between people enjoying certain things and the amount of time they spend on the game. .

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hot metas are a lot of fun when LFG is busted and you make do with who is on the map.

• Bish.8627Bish.8627 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021

Don't forget, as well as above, sometimes when people are playing METAs they are just relaxing following a com, so when they actually have to do stuff like CC over a few seconds, they may in that moment be distracted by a stream or show or something. Won't lie, I am guilty of this... I have missed Karka Queen kill because I was looking at a stream for a while, many times...

• I'm a noob at expansion content so unless it's something straight forward, it's something I need to get the hang of c:

• @Pacificterror.7805 said:
    I'm a noob at expansion content so unless it's something straight forward, it's something I need to get the hang of c:

If you a noob or first time in any content and don't know what is going on, then use GW2 wiki and look up on YT some video guide that explain what is going on. It is not hard to get the basics down and follow the rest in a zerg or squad. Keep open your map chat channel and you will also see some comments, for what is happening, if needed. Don't be afraid to ask question before a meta starts on a map.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
    Here is a list from AyinMaiden: https://www.ayinmaiden.com/heartofthorns

Dulfy is another one, but she stopped playing GW2 after PoF (or for around one year ago according to reddit comments).
    There are several other streamer which go through step by step content in GW2 on YouTube, so you shouldn't have a hard to time find out how things work.

• @ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@Pacificterror.7805 said:
    I'm a noob at expansion content so unless it's something straight forward, it's something I need to get the hang of c:

If you a noob or first time in any content and don't know what is going on, then use GW2 wiki and look up on YT some video guide that explain what is going on. It is not hard to get the basics down and follow the rest in a zerg or squad. Keep open your map chat channel and you will also see some comments, for what is happening, if needed. Don't be afraid to ask question before a meta starts on a map.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
    Here is a list from AyinMaiden: https://www.ayinmaiden.com/heartofthorns

Dulfy is another one, but she stopped playing GW2 after PoF (or for around one year ago according to reddit comments).
    There are several other streamer which go through step by step content in GW2 on YouTube, so you shouldn't have a hard to time find out how things work.

For sure. I don't mean to make it sound like I just stand there and don't try to figure out what's going on (ahead of time if I'm not just dropped into the middle of it) - more saying if I perform poorly, I'm trying but it's probably my first time doing that meta ٩◔‿◔۶

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭✭

Oops, forgot to edit the info that this was about HoT stuff as I saw the Auric Basin meta fail for the first time in like forever again. I thought people might have gotten the hang of it by now. Just an info for clarification I forgot to add. This also applies to 2012 content as I see simple world bosses failing as well from time to time. Yes, I can use lfg but problem is that first all taxis are full despite saying not full (remove your entry please if the map is full because it's irritating) and second I'm too anxious and paranoid to use this these days as I get panic attacks easily because people always aim to judge me, or at least that's what I think...
    However I'm just curious about why old content is still failing. so far there were interesting answers so far.
    I know some people are just getting started or have a job but you can do at least a little research as a new player before attempting to participate. For the real life thing though nothing could be done about it but there's also adults who don't have a job, are freelancers, unemployed due to covid or unemployed because of medical reasons. However as far as I experienced there's still people who have a job that needs a lot of attention and are pro elite raiders despite it all and the fact that raiding needs all of your time commitment.

However it could also be that I experience events to fail due to my unusual playtime so that EU servers might not be that active around my time period.

I'm Hunter, he/him
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2
    Meme God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:
    Also remember that most of us here are adults. With adulthood comes varying levels of sobriety, as well as the ever-growing-in-legality leaf.

Sometimes I"ll see stuff like a player trying to attack our own supply yaks with cleave, and I think "maybe they've had too many".

Also was linked to a server recently that always had a baked Comm. Some really weird battles there.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 24 charas, 18k hours, 29k AP | ♀♥♀
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

• Henry.5713Henry.5713 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021

Such a question would imply that you think content has been getting progressively harder over the years or that the overall population should have improved by now, while in actuality neither has happened.
    The population was, is and will continue to be rather casual. There are quite a few new or newer players and lots of long-time players who simply aren't able to improve past a certain point. Basically a level that they can't cross or aren't interested in crossing.
    Content released post 2015 were toned down in difficulty for this very reason. HoT simply ended up frustrating a lot of players. Not to mention that old strategies and information may be forgotten about or entirely lost. Dungeons are a good example of this.

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. ~ Robert Heinlein

• ilMasa.2546ilMasa.2546 Member ✭✭✭

@Cynder.2509 said:
    I just don't get why people still fail easy as kitten HoT metas so easily. No offense I'm just curious.

When u can earn exp all the way up to lvl 80 just by walking nearby... it can happen: PvE content is kinda ez tho.
    Dont get me wrong it is kinda good for leveling and to get "those living story skins",but it is also the reason why you gotta res 30 outta 50 doing a boss lol

• Lazy people
    • Watching something on a second monitor
    • People that just dont care
    • lvl 80s and still cant dodge but HEY got a skyscale a mini and armors with unlookable color combinations.Some are so bad mobbs bleed out from looking at them.
    • and so on...
  • @Danikat.8537 said:
    I've got a new one to add: some people make mistakes because they're trying to play GW2 as if it's another game, likely the last MMO they played.

Last night I was doing a public Dragon Response Mission on my ranger, using sword/torch against the boss and afterwards I got a whisper informing me that "hunters" are a ranged class and should stay "in the backline" at all times. Which is especially amusing considering the usual objection to inexperienced rangers in GW2 is they stay too far back to be much help to the rest of the group.

I did explain that GW2 doesn't have dedicated ranged or melee professions and it depends on what you're doing at the time, which is why all professions can dodge. But all I got back was "lol whatever. you do you" which I assume means they're certain I'm wrong but not interested in discussing it any further.

This, right here. Guild Wars 2 combat mechanics were (and I believe still are) unique among MMOs.

On another note, what's a backline and where can my Longbow-camping, lazy SoulBeast find it?

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:
    I've got a new one to add: some people make mistakes because they're trying to play GW2 as if it's another game, likely the last MMO they played.

Last night I was doing a public Dragon Response Mission on my ranger, using sword/torch against the boss and afterwards I got a whisper informing me that "hunters" are a ranged class and should stay "in the backline" at all times. Which is especially amusing considering the usual objection to inexperienced rangers in GW2 is they stay too far back to be much help to the rest of the group.

I did explain that GW2 doesn't have dedicated ranged or melee professions and it depends on what you're doing at the time, which is why all professions can dodge. But all I got back was "lol whatever. you do you" which I assume means they're certain I'm wrong but not interested in discussing it any further.

This, right here. Guild Wars 2 combat mechanics were (and I believe still are) unique among MMOs.

On another note, what's a backline and where can my Longbow-camping, lazy SoulBeast find it?

Go to east move up to octovine look to your left there is a ledge you can pew pew from were no mobs can touch you

• I'm 2015 content (Roaming Druid). People fail me all the time, even veterans.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021

@Cynder.2509 said:

This is a game with no gear progression. Meaning, barring some nerfs, after a few years passed, content still stays as difficult as it was originally. It doesn't matter if it's from 2012, 2015, 2019 or from last week - we're not getting any stronger, and relative content difficulty does not go down with time.

Sure, you can say that after you've done the content a lot of times you will gain some experience and become better at it, but that only affects veteran players, not more recent ones. And veteran players tend to concentrate on most recent (and/or most rewarding) metas, leaving the rest to less experienced community members.

From my observations, most of the players doing Verdant Brink and Auric Basin are relatively new to that meta. Been doing Tarir a bit lately, and saw a number of cases where i had to explain to everyone how each side mechanic works, because people were, for example, looking for bombs on west and north. For some reason i don;t seem to see as much problems with Gerent though - it usually goes smoothly if there's just enough people per lane. I don't know however if it's because it's for some reason more popular for vets, or because lane mechanics are clearer to understand.

Incidentally, if Marionette was not limited to LS1 only, and we'd still have that fight present, i'm quite sure that it would be a total disaster now, with how the platform fights were prone to failure due to even a single player not understanding mechanics.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.