Buy a NEW PC now or wait until 3rd expansion comes out?

If you are buying something from the current generation of CPU and GPU you should be fine

GW2 doesn’t require the best of the best hardware by any means. Your 1050ti is equivalent to the GFX card I am using and getting 60fps on at 1080p.

What I would consider is are there other games or applications you run that might be harder on the system. As well, do you want to run above 1080p or dual monitor etc that might warrant getting a beefier GFX card.

wait it out until next expansion release. Hopefully by then the prices come down again. EX: rx6800 msrp of $580 is currently selling for $900+, rtx3060 msrp of think it was $320 is selling for about $1k.Power supplies are in high demand as well and have about almost doubled in price as well.by the time the next expansion happens, demand should catch up and scalpers should have run out of clients and Bitcoin should have calmed down as well.If you wait a until then your upgrade should be at a very more reasonable price.

@MrFisticuffs.7306 said:Buy a NEW PC@MrFisticuffs.7306 said:Any Suggestions for what CPU or GPU would help with FPS?

if new pc and on a budget for CPU, you can probably go with a ryzen 5 3600x or an i5-9600k for good 1080p performance with gw2 when paired with a good GPU

if you're willing to spend some money, a ryzen 5 5600x is really good especially with the single core performance

I would not buy a new PC if all you need is a CPU and motherboard. If everything needs to be changed (unlikely unless you are above 1080p for the 1050ti and above 1440p for 1660ti) then maybe it's worth it since RTX GPUs are being gouged right now , partially due to a resurgence in GPU mining.

i5/i7 is meaningless as we're up to 10 generations of them. If it's 7th generation or older it's probably wise to change it.

@"MrFisticuffs.7306" said:Buy a NEW PC now or wait until 3rd expansion comes out? I currently have a i5 CPU and my GPU is 1050ti. My son has a i7 CPU and a 1660ti GPU....I can tell a little bit of a difference. Any Suggestions for what CPU or GPU would help with FPS?

First of all: never buy a new computer just because there is marketing about new game or expansion as it is impossible to know with what hardware you can afford and that hardware include if you also upgrade your display with a higher resolution then you play on right now. We don't know anything about how demanding EoD will be or it will make use of any new GPU features or run on more threads as for CPU, then before or anything about how this expansion will work for memory usage including storage space.

Due to covid there have been a very high demand on computer for the cross over between home office and gaming computer (as some countries have tax reduction or other economical stimulation/compensation that increase the demand for computer and hardware like keyboards, displays, web cams etc). Add to that mining crypto-coins and the increase of hardware to get a part of that market before it drops, and it should at some stage drop down again to a more normal level as the base idea is to have a limit on the amount units produced. Second hand GPU market are also all over the place, meaning even "old" GPU have increased in price as a result from these two events.

If your computer aren't broke and need fixing or a repair (replacement parts), then wait until we at least know when EoD will be released and what it will have for demands on hardware. You will pay too much for hardware that had a set value already when they where introduced and when market will calm down you will not be able to get your moneys worth back from selling it or upgrading, if you aren't careful and know what you are doing.

@Joote.4081 said:Flipping heck you could run GW2 on a calculator.

I was thinking something similar (OK not that far)....GW2 is pretty low spec and I don't see the next expansion as something that will make those requirements jump dramatically. You could say that Path of Fire came out in 2017, which is 4 years ago, but even then the specs required for that expansion aren't what I'd consider a leap from base game and HoT (which share the same minimum reqs).

The only benefits I see in waiting are being able to watch prices (although they may not work in your favour, with how GPU demand has been) and waiting for new monitors to drop/those releases hopefully affecting prices of monitors currently on the market. The main thing for me would basically be the monitor thing, if I decided to hold off for any reason.....there have been quite a few developments in that area in the last ~6-8mo and the ripple effect is yet to be really felt - especially because a lot of touted releases have not fully dropped yet.

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:The requirements for the game are going to rise just because an expansion is going to drop sometime this year, so you shouldn't consider delaying to by a new PC for that expansion.

Why are they releasing a new game engine with the expansion?

Without you, I wouldn't have noticed that I forgot to negate the first part.

@"MrFisticuffs.7306" said:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RVMX6JW/?coliid=I2ZTNMDM1ZH6VF&colid=1O3XZ6GIW64LN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

thoughts on this PC?"Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 8-Core 3. 2GHz (4. 1 GHz Max Boost)" that probably needs to be much higher?

Definitely not worth the $2500 they are asking. It's probably worth $900 or so once you add the B450 motherboard, 16GB RAM , NvME SSD , bargain bin case, and questionable power supply whose only main feature is RGB.

The parts pictured in the product photo:OEM CPU heatsink (comes with CPU)Ryzen 7 2700 (listed in spec)Asrock B450 motherboard (Pro4 model likely)Team Group memory 3000MHz 16GB (2x8GB)MSI RTX 2060 --- seems to be base twin fan model or VentusGamdias Astrape M1 PSU 750B

Ryzen 7 2700 has the multicore performance of a Ryzen 5 3600 roughly, while having lower single threaded performance to the tune of 20% or so. The RTX 2060 is also dated and was retailing for $300 before GPU gouging started. The RTX 3060 successor with double the VRAM and higher performance is supposed to retail at $329.

@"MrFisticuffs.7306" said:The PC was $1,150 before more of them sold as of yesterday morning

Well, you can use this as a reference to help choose the right GPUhttps://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

and the CPU one (kinda bummed they don't mention prices though)https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

you got it about right on the parts selection. something like this even.I say anything from rx580-vega64/rx5700xt(1060 6gb - 2070/1080ti/2060S) is about as max as you can go on performance... gpu wise

Here's a bestbuy one,lol.https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-aegis-zs-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-3700x-16gb-memory-rx-5600xt-512gb-ssd-black/6431203.p?skuId=6431203heck any 5600x with same GPU or better with same price should beat this.

Heck this should be golden too at 1080phttps://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-2tb-hdd-240gb-ssd/6430867.p?skuId=6430867

little comparison i did but, hard to see the fps and well it's at 5k resolution

using the ^^^ as reference 16gb all you really need for this game. 3700x is about the 3970x performance for games... well maybe a little off since Threadripper supports quad channel.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"jishi.7568" said:wait it out until next expansion release. Hopefully by then the prices come down again.

It really depends on the continent and country, so you can't make a general statement like that. When I had to buy a new system last summer, hardware was about twice as expensive here as in the U.S. at the same time.

That's very true, i often forget the region prices differences.Cheap alternatives:, instead of a new pc completely, a simple upgrade like this can help:

AMD :(honestly the 5600x the better buy but hard to get and you need to update the bios on motherboard to use... but, you need a older cpu to do that)https://ibb.co/r2PZdrVIntel :https://ibb.co/p2VGqt0

You can then use the DX12 mod and get consistent FPS, especially if edit the Config file.

a review for the cpu's

^I second jishi's opinion on Ryzen 5 5600X (if you can get it from Microcenter or other retailer for near MSRP) or Ryzen 5 3600 series over an Intel 10th gen CPU.I would not buy an Intel CPU if you can help it: they don't have any PCIE 4.0 support , require pricier motherboards to tweak RAM, and consume more energy generally due to the older 14nm node so any minimal cost savings is going to be negated after a year or two unless your power is dirt cheap.

Here's what Anandtech had to say:

Every so often there comes a processor that captures the market. It ends up being that right combination of price, cores, frequency, performance, features and compatibility when added to the right sort of motherboard that makes it fly off the shelves. The main CPU this cycle seems to be the Ryzen 5 3600, offering six high-performance Zen 2 cores and 24 lanes of PCIe 4.0 for only $199.

Currently, I made a similar decision that you're considering, and I am happy with my decision. First, it doesn't matter if it's GW2 expansion or some other game, there is never a time where tech improvements don't have the potential to result in a game or something else new being released that we will want to experience, it just happens. Over time I have waited because something new was coming and by the time it got here, something even newer was coming in a cycle that prevents you from making the decision. Essentially, allowing a potential future variable to influence a fixed current variable that exists now.

An enormous factor in my decision was Razer releasing a new 2021 lineup of Laptop, peripherals, and accessory products. The new 2021 Laptops come with the Nvidia RTX 30 series, Intel 10th Gen CPU's and have now reached the level of being considered "future-Ready" with the immediate option to upgrade ram, ssd, and gpu factors. I made a more detailed description of the new lineup, and what makes them "Future-Ready" below if anyone wants to know more. Or go to Razer.com

To provide the quality of performance I am getting currently with my Razer system with 10th get I7, 16gb ram, 500gb SSD, and RTX 3070 (8gb Vram) with GW2 running at highest visual settings puts me at an average of 76 FPS, switching characters exiting & loading back in takes about 15-20 seconds at most and I am back playing. I have a bridged network connection, but it has options for both Ethernet connection and WIFI. I've played a wide variety of games at max visuals including Destiny 2 Beyond Light, LoL, DOTA2, Rainbow 6 Siege, Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries, Gears 5 (Gears of War), StarCraft 2 with all expansions, Elite Dangerous, and more but never had any issues with any performance problems except occasional server lag when playing a multiplayer. At this point, I haven't had any need to overclock anything or push past out of the box level settings.

Just one direction to keep in mind, so that the options that are available today compared to the past, are much broader than many realize unless they are consistently involved with the tech industry both hardware and software. Hope it helps in some way.Good Luck,Reaper IWP

What Makes it Future-Ready? -Even the basic Blade 15 and the rest of Razer's new laptop lineup come with an additional M.2 slot allowing for SSD upgrades internally increased to 2TB and it can be done incrementally. Adding a 1TB SSD to your open M.2 slot and then eventually replacing the SSD the system came with if you decide that's something you need.-Comes with 16GB RAM upgradeable to 64GB, using both slots, they don't do what some companies are doing now and soldering the RAM included into the system and leaving an open slot. When upgrading RAM best practice is that you use the same amoun6t of RAM for both slots (matching specs lets them run together more efficiently.) This still means you can immediately upgrade your system to 16GB RAM by adding 1gb to the open slot right away without a major hit to your wallet.-Razer's eGPU systems and Thunderbolt 4 dock, Razer released the original CORE eGPU for their systems before most non-techy individuals were aware that USB-C and Thunderbolt were both improvements but functionally much different range of use. Since the initial release, they have not only continued making new and more efficient CORE products but increased the number of resources that users would have access to with having Thunderbolt ports available. The primary benefit of the CORE system is that you can add a top-performing desktop GPU to your system and even when your current internal GPU has become the new budget level option, running the newest desktop GPU is still an option. If your someone who requires major graphics power right away, using the CORE to attach another RTX 30 series GPU allows you to run in SLI mode straight out the gate,I have had a long relationship with Razer products and that provided me a higher amount of confidence in their products but knowing I will have access to improved performance for the same amount of time as I had in the past between upgrading motherboards and doing nearly full new builds with desktops in the past, was a big selling point got me.

The only selling point for a Razer laptop is you can pawn it off entirely when you upgrade more easily than a desktop. A desktop is typically faster and quieter if cooled properly (i.e. not stock heatsink or blower GPU) due to physical volume. In this current economic climate, even laptops with RTX GPUs are being gouged for mining purposes so it doesn't alleviate the GPU pricing issue much if at all.

A laptop with eGPU negates most of the benefit of portability also since GW2 isn't GPU intensive (nor is LoL, DoTA2, Starcraft II, or some other mentioned titles) that isn't a great idea.