How many slots in a Black Lion Chest? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

How many slots in a Black Lion Chest?

The notes for today's update seem to indicate that the 'new' Black Lion chests should have 5 slots.
"Inside each Black Lion Chest, you’ll find a guaranteed Fine Black Lion Dye Canister—Blue, a redeemable Black Lion Statuette, and two common items. You might also find something rarer in the fifth slot, like exclusive items, glyphs, and skins from the Plasma Weapon Collection and Fused Weapon Collection. "
The ones that I opened only had 4 slots though.... is the 5th slot a lucky dip extra or is this a mistake in the above text? It's a bit misleading anyway...

Comments

  • Stormwolf.8567Stormwolf.8567 Member ✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021

    Okay that makes sense thanks - I don't think I've ever opened a BL Chest that had 5 slots ;)

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021

    @Stormwolf.8567 said:
    Okay that makes sense thanks - I don't think I've ever opened a BL Chest that had 5 slots ;)

    Well they say rare for a reason mate :P

  • I have opned 1000s Never seen a 5 slot

  • Really? Thousands?
    It seems (can't be sure, of course) the 5th slot used to be a bit more common, but I still get it (though not always something great in it) every 10th to 20-25th time, or so.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Nightcore.5621 said:
    I have opned 1000s Never seen a 5 slot

    Have you ever gotten anything from the uncommon, rare or super rare drop categories? Any of the mount skins, exclusive armour or weapon skins (like the Seven Reapers pauldrons or the cloud chair/glider in the current chest)? Any whole black lion claim tickets? Home instance nodes?

    If so then you've gotten a 5th slot at some point because that's the only way to get those items. The first 2 slots are always a black lion statuette and whatever this chests themed guaranteed drop is (currently blue dye.) The 3rd and 4th slots are always random items from the 'common' category - the dye packs, wardrobe unlocks, crafting materials and other random consumables. The only way to get anything better, like the items which players are usually hoping for when they open black lion chests (the mount skins and unique armour/weapon/glider skins not available any other way) is to get a 5th slot.

    If you open lots of chests in quick succession you might not see it because it only shows up on the interface briefly and as soon as you use another key or close the window it's gone, but even if you don't see it in the window you can tell it's happened because that item will be in your inventory or unlocked in the wardrobe.

    (And if you have never gotten anything beyond the common items my question is why open thousands of chests? Why pay for keys or spend time farming them if you never get anything but the basic items, when there's more reliable and often cheaper ways to get the ones you want?)

    Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

    "Life's a journey, not a destination."

  • @Danikat.8537 said:

    @Nightcore.5621 said:
    I have opned 1000s Never seen a 5 slot

    Have you ever gotten anything from the uncommon, rare or super rare drop categories? Any of the mount skins, exclusive armour or weapon skins (like the Seven Reapers pauldrons or the cloud chair/glider in the current chest)? Any whole black lion claim tickets? Home instance nodes?

    If so then you've gotten a 5th slot at some point because that's the only way to get those items. The first 2 slots are always a black lion statuette and whatever this chests themed guaranteed drop is (currently blue dye.) The 3rd and 4th slots are always random items from the 'common' category - the dye packs, wardrobe unlocks, crafting materials and other random consumables. The only way to get anything better, like the items which players are usually hoping for when they open black lion chests (the mount skins and unique armour/weapon/glider skins not available any other way) is to get a 5th slot.

    If you open lots of chests in quick succession you might not see it because it only shows up on the interface briefly and as soon as you use another key or close the window it's gone, but even if you don't see it in the window you can tell it's happened because that item will be in your inventory or unlocked in the wardrobe.

    (And if you have never gotten anything beyond the common items my question is why open thousands of chests? Why pay for keys or spend time farming them if you never get anything but the basic items, when there's more reliable and often cheaper ways to get the ones you want?)

    Mounts No. But outfits and weapons seems to drop often

  • Then, you've opened Chests with the 5th slot.

  • Joote.4081Joote.4081 Member ✭✭✭

    I have to ask. Has anyone ever got anything useful out of a BL chest?

  • Yes, many times.
    I've not always, of course, received what I was hoping for, but even some of the common items are useful.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Joote.4081 said:
    I have to ask. Has anyone ever got anything useful out of a BL chest?

    What do you mean by useful?

    Thankfully they're designed so there's nothing you need in them, and the vast majority of items can either be obtained in-game or bought from the TP or gem store. It's only 2-3 items in the uncommon category which you have to get from chests (or with statuettes, but those only come from chests). You'll never get something which makes your character stronger or gives you new content or anything like that, only cosmetics and convenience items. So in that sense it's impossible to get anything useful.

    I have sometimes gotten skins I like and will use, but not often enough to make me want to buy keys. I only ever use ones I get for free (mainly because I don't gamble with real money - if I'm going to pay for something I want to know exactly what I'm getting and what it will cost) and most of the time opening a chest makes me think I'm glad I didn't pay for it because if I had it would be even more disappointing.

    I think the best thing I've gotten recently was the unicorn griffon skin, which I was happy with because I kind of liked it but not enough to pay 1,600 gems for it.

    Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

    "Life's a journey, not a destination."