What’s the point of personal story headgear choices?

Mik.3401

It's just a way of choosing the skin. It used to be a bit more meaningful before the wardrobe was introduced, because there's no other way of getting those skins and they're soulbound, so getting them onto a character who didn't choose them was quite difficult. But it was still just a unique skin.

It's not the only biography choice which has little/no impact on the game, one of the racial ones is just flavour as well, like sylvari choosing which cycle they were born into or norn choosing which Spirit influenced them as a child. It gives you some very small changes to dialogue occasionally and changes an NPC in your home instance, but that's all.

If you're not interested in lore or role-playing then those choices are irrelevant, if you are then they give you an idea of the kind of things which are important in Tyrian societies and might influence how other people see your character, but they don't actually affect the gameplay.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:No, they are left with 1 skin out of 1000s unlocked.

One of the first things I did when the wardrobe was introduced was spend an evening making and deleting tons of characters to unlock all the starter skins. The second thing I did was change my engineers backpack to something other than the Universal Multitool Pack she'd been using since day 1. Before that I'd kept it on her at all times just because I couldn't get it back if I lost it.