A fresh idea on how to rework Hundred Blades

Girth.9731

I think most Warrior mains can agree that Hundred Blades needs a rework. While the skill is thematically cool, it can quite ineffective against skilled opponents and is very clunky in general. This is not to say that the skill is currently useless, but rather to say that it needs to be updated to fit with the pace PvP in 2021. While there have been numerous suggestions on this forum to either lower the cast time or increase the damage, I want to purpose a simple rework that I feel would dramatically improve the skill's usability while retaining its core theme.

So, here it is.

Hundred BladesFollowing a 0.5s cast time in which the Warrior gathers his strength, the Warrior channels a flurry of 6 attacks in a cone in front of him over the next 1.5s with the final strike dealing additional damage.
Movement during the channel ends the skill.

Why these changes? I think Hundred Blades should still function as a payoff for CCing an opponent, and thus this rework doesn't change the core idea that Hundred Blades should be used against opponents that can't get out of the way. However, with the current 3.5s cast time we have in game, it is nearly impossible to land the last strike in PvP against skilled players. This rework adds a 0.5s cast time before the strikes begin as a way to provide enemies with a visual indication the Warrior is about to use the skill and to facilitate counterplay. It then backloads the damage over the next 1.5s to reward Warriors who are able to keep their opponents in place during the total 2s that the skill lasts for. This should function to make the skill more usable in PvP and provide counterplay without changing the core idea of what Hundred Blades should be. Obviously, damage numbers may need to be adjusted to keep the skill balanced.

Would this be too difficult for Anet to pull off? Is Hundred Blades fine as is? Let me know what you think.

I much preferred how Hundred Blades functioned back in Gw1 but alas we have what we have.

Every idea I see that proposes a "fix" for Hundred Blade is often just "make it mobile".. I can understand this but it would look pretty stupid if you were running around flailing a GS around like that lol

I think a better solution would be to rework Hundred Blades so it functions more like Reapers Death Spiral or Rangers Hunters Call.

Death Spiral is a really good skill that hits for x6 in a single second which is only two less than Hundred Blades hits for over 3 and a half seconds so this is definitely practical for a rework of Hundred Blades.The problem is though if it functioned like this it would be such a massive damage spike in a very short period of time so it would either need a long and thus predictable cast time or a heavy damage and CD reduction to make it not ridiculously OP..

I could also see Hundred Blades working similarly to Hunters Call where you hit your target with a single hit and they continue to take damage over the next few seconds as a magical swords animation continues to strike at them..Hunters call has 16 hits which is double Hundred Blades so this is certainly doable.But putting such a hard hitting debuff on a player like this would be pretty nuts.. probably really op with the Warrior still wailing on them as well.. So I expect again we'd see some heavy nerfs to Hundred Blades damage as a result of this kind of change.

So both of them have merit but would likely warrant nerfs which we don't want.. so what if instead Hundred Blades actually functioned like both of them?I think this is actually the best solution to this problem, Hundred blades as we know is an x8 attack right.. so what if we split it in half.4 hits get applied in a single swipe animation like how Death spiral works.. a 1 second cast time would suffice for this just like Death Spiral.The other 4 hits would then get applied in a ticking damage debuff like how Hunters Call works.The ticking part of the attack could be applied on the 4th hit of the attack as a reward for Warriors landing all 4 initial hits which would also give enemies the chance to evade the last 4 hits by avoiding the 4th attack with a well timed dodge.

So you still get your 8 hits provided you can land the whole initial attack, but the enemy can also evade the ticking hits by avoiding the 4th attack and halfing the damage they take from your attack.The 3 and a half second cast time for 8 hits gets knocked down to 1 second cast time for 4 hits and if you land the 4th hit you get an additional 4 hits in unblockable ticking damage.

@"Teratus.2859" said:I much preferred how Hundred Blades functioned back in Gw1 but alas we have what we have.

Every idea I see that proposes a "fix" for Hundred Blade is often just "make it mobile".. I can understand this but it would look pretty stupid if you were running around flailing a GS around like that lol

I think a better solution would be to rework Hundred Blades so it functions more like Reapers Death Spiral or Rangers Hunters Call.

Death Spiral is a really good skill that hits for x6 in a single second which is only two less than Hundred Blades hits for over 3 and a half seconds so this is definitely practical for a rework of Hundred Blades.The problem is though if it functioned like this it would be such a massive damage spike in a very short period of time so it would either need a long and thus predictable cast time or a heavy damage and CD reduction to make it not ridiculously OP..I'm okay with a massive damage spike.Nothing stopping Anet from making said damage spike conditional though. Like have it be 6 hits, dealing 0.2 scaling per hit, but if they strike a CC'd target they do 0.5 scaling.I could also see Hundred Blades working similarly to Hunters Call where you hit your target with a single hit and they continue to take damage over the next few seconds as a magical swords animation continues to strike at them..Hunters call has 16 hits which is double Hundred Blades so this is certainly doable.But putting such a hard hitting debuff on a player like this would be pretty nuts.. probably really op with the Warrior still wailing on them as well.. So I expect again we'd see some heavy nerfs to Hundred Blades damage as a result of this kind of change.Lets not do this one mkay?So both of them have merit but would likely warrant nerfs which we don't want.. so what if instead Hundred Blades actually functioned like both of them?I think this is actually the best solution to this problem, Hundred blades as we know is an x8 attack right.. so what if we split it in half.4 hits get applied in a single swipe animation like how Death spiral works.. a 1 second cast time would suffice for this just like Death Spiral.The other 4 hits would then get applied in a ticking damage debuff like how Hunters Call works.The ticking part of the attack could be applied on the 4th hit of the attack as a reward for Warriors landing all 4 initial hits which would also give enemies the chance to evade the last 4 hits by avoiding the 4th attack with a well timed dodge.So you still get your 8 hits provided you can land the whole initial attack, but the enemy can also evade the ticking hits by avoiding the 4th attack and halfing the damage they take from your attack.The 3 and a half second cast time for 8 hits gets knocked down to 1 second cast time for 4 hits and if you land the 4th hit you get an additional 4 hits in unblockable ticking damage.

Maybe....

Would this ticking damage be like Binding Blade in that it is power based 'condition' damage? Or would this be more like Guardian Focus 4 in that they can crit and be dodged while ticking? Warrior would be better served it that damage tick functioned like Ray of Judgement rather than Binding Blade.

If they went with that idea I would think having it function like Ray of Judgement would be best, and here is why, even though it would be blockable, dodgeable, evadable, blindable, you could crit with it. We need to crit to generate might for healing and endurance. That is one of the current uses for 100B now since while you may not hit every attack it is a lot of strikes in a short time frame with which to generate might for healing and endurance.

I would also expect the whole skill to cleave, so if that last hit hits multiple foes, then each foe gets that ticking critable damage.

So, if you did something like EarthShaker+swap->100B or FC->100B then you could get that ticking damage on 3 targets potentially and have 3 sources of ticking might for healing and endurance.

I'm okay with that idea, because Warrior needs buffing in some areas anyway, but let me ask if that sounds like it would be OP to you? Keep in mind that there would be counter play to that kind of skill, don't get hit by the 4th attack, and if you do you can still mitigate the ticking hits, but if the warrior gets that 4th hit in then they have ticking damage that will clear blind for them and have sources of might ticking for sustain.

Here's my pitch: keep it as is, but each strike increases its maximum range by 30. Meaning the final strike will land at 340 range, whilst beginning at 130 range. This will reward using the skill for CC (max damage from all strikes), and give it improved use as area denial.

Of course, the animation would need tweaking (just add some extending blade trails).

@"Teratus.2859" said:Every idea I see that proposes a "fix" for Hundred Blade is often just "make it mobile".. I can understand this but it would look pretty stupid if you were running around flailing a GS around like that lolSince most Greatsword skins look stupid anyway, that flailing while running should be no problem.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:Every idea I see that proposes a "fix" for Hundred Blade is often just "make it mobile".. I can understand this but it would look pretty stupid if you were running around flailing a GS around like that lolSince most Greatsword skins look stupid anyway, that flailing while running should be no problem.

Lol you're not wrong XD

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:I much preferred how Hundred Blades functioned back in Gw1 but alas we have what we have.

Death Spiral is a really good skill that hits for x6 in a single second which is only two less than Hundred Blades hits for over 3 and a half seconds so this is definitely practical for a rework of Hundred Blades.The problem is though if it functioned like this it would be such a massive damage spike in a very short period of time so it would either need a long and thus predictable cast time or a heavy damage and CD reduction to make it not ridiculously OP..I'm okay with a massive damage spike.Nothing stopping Anet from making said damage spike conditional though. Like have it be 6 hits, dealing 0.2 scaling per hit, but if they strike a CC'd target they do 0.5 scaling.

I'm mainly trying to avoid a big nerf to the max dmg output of Hundred Blades which I feel would be a certainty if they made it function exactly like Death Spiral.Hundred Blades is a really hard hitting skill with a long cast time trade off as well as a placement lock.Cutting the 3 and a half second cast time to 1 second but still having the x8 critable strikes would be such a huge amount of damage inflicted in such a short time.. it would probably become an insta kill skill against many in the PvP scene.Nerfs would certainly be called for in that case I'd bet.

I could also see Hundred Blades working similarly to Hunters Call where you hit your target with a single hit and they continue to take damage over the next few seconds as a magical swords animation continues to strike at them..Hunters call has 16 hits which is double Hundred Blades so this is certainly doable.But putting such a hard hitting debuff on a player like this would be pretty nuts.. probably really op with the Warrior still wailing on them as well.. So I expect again we'd see some heavy nerfs to Hundred Blades damage as a result of this kind of change.Lets not do this one mkay?

Haha no worries I wasn't entirely sold on this one either XD

So both of them have merit but would likely warrant nerfs which we don't want.. so what if instead Hundred Blades actually functioned like both of them?I think this is actually the best solution to this problem, Hundred blades as we know is an x8 attack right.. so what if we split it in half.4 hits get applied in a single swipe animation like how Death spiral works.. a 1 second cast time would suffice for this just like Death Spiral.The other 4 hits would then get applied in a ticking damage debuff like how Hunters Call works.The ticking part of the attack could be applied on the 4th hit of the attack as a reward for Warriors landing all 4 initial hits which would also give enemies the chance to evade the last 4 hits by avoiding the 4th attack with a well timed dodge.So you still get your 8 hits provided you can land the whole initial attack, but the enemy can also evade the ticking hits by avoiding the 4th attack and halfing the damage they take from your attack.The 3 and a half second cast time for 8 hits gets knocked down to 1 second cast time for 4 hits and if you land the 4th hit you get an additional 4 hits in unblockable ticking damage.

Maybe....

Would this ticking damage be like Binding Blade in that it is power based 'condition' damage? Or would this be more like Guardian Focus 4 in that they can crit and be dodged while ticking? Warrior would be better served it that damage tick functioned like Ray of Judgement rather than Binding Blade.

If they went with that idea I would think having it function like Ray of Judgement would be best, and here is why, even though it would be blockable, dodgeable, evadable, blindable, you could crit with it. We need to crit to generate might for healing and endurance. That is one of the current uses for 100B now since while you may not hit every attack it is a lot of strikes in a short time frame with which to generate might for healing and endurance.

I would also expect the whole skill to cleave, so if that last hit hits multiple foes, then each foe gets that ticking critable damage.

So, if you did something like EarthShaker+swap->100B or FC->100B then you could get that ticking damage on 3 targets potentially and have 3 sources of ticking might for healing and endurance.

I'm okay with that idea, because Warrior needs buffing in some areas anyway, but let me ask if that sounds like it would be OP to you? Keep in mind that there would be counter play to that kind of skill, don't get hit by the 4th attack, and if you do you can still mitigate the ticking hits, but if the warrior gets that 4th hit in then they have ticking damage that will clear blind for them and have sources of might ticking for sustain.

I didn't think about either Binding Blade of Ray of Judgement, only Hunters Call when I was writing that post as it's the skill I am more familiar with.. not a big Guardian player tbh.

But to answer your questions.. Yes pretty much everything you said there is what I did have in mind when designing this new 100B skill.You would be able to crit on both the initial 4 hits and the 4 ticking damage hits afterwards just like you can on every strike of the existing skill.And it would also have the cleave as well being able to apply the ticking critable damage to multiple targets that you hit with the 4th strike.

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind yeah :)

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:Every idea I see that proposes a "fix" for Hundred Blade is often just "make it mobile".. I can understand this but it would look pretty stupid if you were running around flailing a GS around like that lolSince most Greatsword skins look stupid anyway, that flailing while running should be no problem.

Lol you're not wrong XD

@Teratus.2859 said:I much preferred how Hundred Blades functioned back in Gw1 but alas we have what we have.

Death Spiral is a really good skill that hits for x6 in a single second which is only two less than Hundred Blades hits for over 3 and a half seconds so this is definitely practical for a rework of Hundred Blades.The problem is though if it functioned like this it would be such a massive damage spike in a very short period of time so it would either need a long and thus predictable cast time or a heavy damage and CD reduction to make it not ridiculously OP..I'm okay with a massive damage spike.Nothing stopping Anet from making said damage spike conditional though. Like have it be 6 hits, dealing 0.2 scaling per hit, but if they strike a CC'd target they do 0.5 scaling.

I'm mainly trying to avoid a big nerf to the max dmg output of Hundred Blades which I feel would be a certainty if they made it function exactly like Death Spiral.Hundred Blades is a really hard hitting skill with a long cast time trade off as well as a placement lock.Cutting the 3 and a half second cast time to 1 second but still having the x8 critable strikes would be such a huge amount of damage inflicted in such a short time.. it would probably become an insta kill skill against many in the PvP scene.Nerfs would certainly be called for in that case I'd bet.Blurred Frenzy deals 8 strikes in one second, it has meh damage but that is because it also evades during that time, so it is overloaded from a competitive viewpoint. Giving 100B a 1s cast time for 8 hits without evade frames is perfectly reasonable for at least a moderate damage ability, and if it has a very obvious windup animation then it definitely deserves high damage.

I could also see Hundred Blades working similarly to Hunters Call where you hit your target with a single hit and they continue to take damage over the next few seconds as a magical swords animation continues to strike at them..Hunters call has 16 hits which is double Hundred Blades so this is certainly doable.But putting such a hard hitting debuff on a player like this would be pretty nuts.. probably really op with the Warrior still wailing on them as well.. So I expect again we'd see some heavy nerfs to Hundred Blades damage as a result of this kind of change.Lets not do this one mkay?

Haha no worries I wasn't entirely sold on this one either XD:+1:

So both of them have merit but would likely warrant nerfs which we don't want.. so what if instead Hundred Blades actually functioned like both of them?I think this is actually the best solution to this problem, Hundred blades as we know is an x8 attack right.. so what if we split it in half.4 hits get applied in a single swipe animation like how Death spiral works.. a 1 second cast time would suffice for this just like Death Spiral.The other 4 hits would then get applied in a ticking damage debuff like how Hunters Call works.The ticking part of the attack could be applied on the 4th hit of the attack as a reward for Warriors landing all 4 initial hits which would also give enemies the chance to evade the last 4 hits by avoiding the 4th attack with a well timed dodge.So you still get your 8 hits provided you can land the whole initial attack, but the enemy can also evade the ticking hits by avoiding the 4th attack and halfing the damage they take from your attack.The 3 and a half second cast time for 8 hits gets knocked down to 1 second cast time for 4 hits and if you land the 4th hit you get an additional 4 hits in unblockable ticking damage.

Maybe....

I didn't think about either Binding Blade of Ray of Judgement, only Hunters Call when I was writing that post as it's the skill I am more familiar with.. not a big Guardian player tbh.

But to answer your questions.. Yes pretty much everything you said there is what I did have in mind when designing this new 100B skill.You would be able to crit on both the initial 4 hits and the 4 ticking damage hits afterwards just like you can on every strike of the existing skill.And it would also have the cleave as well being able to apply the ticking critable damage to multiple targets that you hit with the 4th strike.

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind yeah :)

Hey, I'm open to anything that improves warrior gameplay.

I say simply rework the skill into a stylish 3 hit gs combo where the 3rd hit does extra damage. Have the skill function over a 2 sec cast time with the ability to move, u could also design the animation with Cantha expac in mind.This way it gives players time to react before the 3rd big hit also being in line with the idea of wanting to hard cc the enemy to increase the chances of hitting that 3rd last damaging hit.Un rooting the skill would just make gs feel more fluid.

@Teratus.2859 said:Every idea I see that proposes a "fix" for Hundred Blade is often just "make it mobile".. I can understand this but it would look pretty stupid if you were running around flailing a GS around like that lolSince most Greatsword skins look stupid anyway, that flailing while running should be no problem.

Lol you're not wrong XD

@Teratus.2859 said:I much preferred how Hundred Blades functioned back in Gw1 but alas we have what we have.

I'm mainly trying to avoid a big nerf to the max dmg output of Hundred Blades which I feel would be a certainty if they made it function exactly like Death Spiral.Hundred Blades is a really hard hitting skill with a long cast time trade off as well as a placement lock.Cutting the 3 and a half second cast time to 1 second but still having the x8 critable strikes would be such a huge amount of damage inflicted in such a short time.. it would probably become an insta kill skill against many in the PvP scene.Nerfs would certainly be called for in that case I'd bet.Blurred Frenzy deals 8 strikes in one second, it has meh damage but that is because it also evades during that time, so it is overloaded from a competitive viewpoint. Giving 100B a 1s cast time for 8 hits without evade frames is perfectly reasonable for at least a moderate damage ability, and if it has a very obvious windup animation then it definitely deserves high damage.

When I was thinking about it I was thinking more a quick horizontal slice animation.It could work with a buildup though but if it's too easy to see coming it'll never be that viable in competitive as people will always be watching for it.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Lol you're not wrong XD

When I was thinking about it I was thinking more a quick horizontal slice animation.It could work with a buildup though but if it's too easy to see coming it'll never be that viable in competitive as people will always be watching for it.

I think a 0.25s of animation frames of the warrior cocking back the big AF sword before unleashing a fck ton of damage is enough of a warning for people to get out of the way if they have dodges left. At the same time it would be quick enough to successfully start once you CC someone and get respectable damage in even if the last hit misses.

Lol you're not wrong XD

I think a 0.25s of animation frames of the warrior cocking back the big AF sword before unleashing a kitten ton of damage is enough of a warning for people to get out of the way if they have dodges left. At the same time it would be quick enough to successfully start once you CC someone and get respectable damage in even if the last hit misses.

I think this would be the best direction for the skill to go in. I'm okay with the channeled strike requiring you to stay in place, I think that's part of what makes Hundred Blades cool and unique. What I want to see a 0.5s wind up animation where the Warrior can move followed by a channeled burst of damage over the next 1.5s. I think this would make the skill feel alot more usable in multiple situations while maintaining the theme of the skill. I think the damage should be somewhere around 1.5x an Arcing Slice since this skill would still be harder to land.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I'd be cool if it was reworked to actually make it interesting and skill full to use like a multi hit combo where last skill does more dps and is on a 5 sec timer before the last skill becomes unavailable so if u miss ur window its gone but if used skill fully u can use it at the opportune time.

So some sort of skill, but with a flip over followup?

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I'd be cool if it was reworked to actually make it interesting and skill full to use like a multi hit combo where last skill does more dps and is on a 5 sec timer before the last skill becomes unavailable so if u miss ur window its gone but if used skill fully u can use it at the opportune time.

Yeah like instead of 100 blades its a 3 hit combo that does similar overall damage as 100 blades and the 3rd hit being the highest damage and each of the 3 hits require a key press and the 3rd is either a flip or just a skill that u can delay using it for up to 5 secs or it becomes unavailable and skill goes on cd. This way the skill or skills would require timing to use it optimally and has a somewhat interesting mechanic within the skill. Obviously the skill can be used on the move but also aligns with the idea of hard cc'ing before using it to increase ur chance of successfully connecting with skill 3.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Yeah like instead of 100 blades its a 3 hit combo that does similar overall damage as 100 blades and the 3rd hit being the highest damage and each of the 3 hits require a key press and the 3rd is either a flip or just a skill that u can delay using it for up to 5 secs or it becomes unavailable and skill goes on cd. This way the skill or skills would require timing to use it optimally and has a somewhat interesting mechanic within the skill. Obviously the skill can be used on the move but also aligns with the idea of hard cc'ing before using it to increase ur chance of successfully connecting with skill 3.

Awesome. Can we make the three hits point blank AoEs with 180 range?

Eh then you'd make it into a butchered Arc Divider. I feel like Hammer 2 (Fierce Blow) is in need of more help than Hundred Blades which would be usable if the last hit was reverted from the damage nerf and movement was allowed. Against an opponent with stability in WvW or stunbreaks/extra evades in PVP it's nearly impossible to make the payoff on that skill. That said the 100 Blades cast time is excessive because there's basically no way to stun someone that long unless you're using headbutt or burst with level 3 mace burst.

Here's my analysis:Power coefficient currently is 2.8 which is relatively high even for melee skills , with a 0.8 final strike. The huge drawback is the 3.5s cast time on top of the self-root and unlike on axe, quickness is not easy to come by. In comparison , Whirling Wrath on guardian greatsword has comparable damage coefficient in terms of the initial strikes and is on a short cast time of 0.75s. Even if you compare to Death Spiral on Reaper, which has 1.8 coefficient and only 1 second cast time it would pale in comparison.

The patch last year nerfed it from 0.525 to 0.35 per each of 8 hits with final strike power coefficient from 1.1 to 0.8.I would say given a normal melee autoattack is around 0.6 that's underwhelming. The payoff on the final strike could be reverted to 1.0 or 1.1 because someone has to be CCed for a long time with no stunbreak or crippled/chilled/immob to be sitting in all the hits.

Having it function as a homing skill (light of judgement / hunter's call) is going to reduce skilled use of it, so I would advise suggesting that.

If 0.6 is the average autoattack chain on a 0.5 second cast then over a 3.5 second time interval just wailing away without using skills you would be at 4.2 coefficient already. In actuality the warrior autoattack chain on greatword is 2.4s and in competitive modes it deals 0.469 , 0.6365 , 0.8375 coefficient per hit for a total 1.943 per 2.4s due to aftercast and animations.

If you just add movement it becomes an inferior version of whirling axe which has 5.595 coefficient (so roughly ~5.1 adjusting for lower weapon strength of axe).

Instead, psycoprophet.8107's idea of a flip skill if all hits connect is probably better for the game overall, along with a change to allow movement during channeling (only root while doing windup) and a revert on the damage nerf on the final hit. It would definitely make it a more interactive weapon. We see a similar mechanism in Arc Lightning on elementalist scepter.

So in short:

• Movement because the skill is 130 range anyway , the damage nerf hit it immensely such that the initial hits are of little threat and act as a huge tell
  • flip skill on final strike to make it more skill based , have this part of the skill root if necessary
  • revert damage nerf on final strike

@KelyNeli.4516 said:They could remove its damge and put 1 second stun on it, beng balance done, we could play wow now.Then nobody would want to play greatsword over sword. Sword has a burst skill comparable to greatsword and mobility could be supplemented with shield or even axe.

People that ran DPS berserkers (which needs help due to the profession mechanic in general) in WVW did so solely for arc divider and that's with supports providing sustain and stability. Most of the time they built adrenaline on axe. If someone is running berserker in PVP they're usually laughed at.

• 3 weeks later...

Larger range in a frontal cone like trillion stab from Devil may cry, so the warrior has enough range to not sit in plop plops on the ground and still hit people. The whole point of the GS or the Montante is that it has range to keep multiple people away from the champion all the while its able to slash em. The whole point of having big sword is the reach.

@"Vancho.8750" said:Larger range in a frontal cone like trillion stab from Devil may cry, so the warrior has enough range to not sit in plop plops on the ground and still hit people. The whole point of the GS or the Montante is that it has range to keep multiple people away from the champion all the while its able to slash em. The whole point of having big sword is the reach.

I'm see lots of AoEs there Vancho. MOAR AOES!