What is your ideal squad composition?

Lord Meowalot.3690

Title! What is your ideal squad composition?

You can state your ideal squad size as well or state the the minimum squad size and composition then add numbers and classes/builds in increments.

Also, about 5 years ago there were usually 3 or so squad members designated as gankers (I forgot the term) for coordinated bursting of enemy stragglers and squishies. It was more prevalent during GvG but is this still a thing?

102: Firebrand, Med Scrapper, Power Herald, Aura Tempest, Curses Scourge3: Firebrand, Med Scrapper, Power Guardian, Support Warrior, Curses Scourge15, add4: Firebrand, Med Scrapper, Support Chrono, Support Warrior, Power Reaper20, add5: Firebrand, Power Herald, Aura Tempest, Immob Ranger, Curses ScourgeMore than 20, add per group:Firebrand, Med Scrapper, Curses Scourge and w/e dps (Berserker, Power Guardian, Bomb Engi, Pole DD etc.)

Tag is either FB or Chrono. Scrappers switch to power if not enough damage.

Party of 10. Frontline bruisers with lots of Stability and Boon hate. Squishy backline with spike healer/peeler and CC synergy for frontline.OmegaFAT bomb potential but vulnerable to sustained fights. Would have to do a lot of kiting and regrouping for focused pushes and bombs, but would have the utility and spike to wipe out players very quickly.

Party 1:Support Scrapper, support Firebrand, x2 frontline Reaper (Greatsword, Spite + Spiteful Spirit, a/some Shouts, no Wells), condi Herald (with Permeating Pestilence).

Party 2:Support Druid, support Firebrand, Burn DH, Power DH, backline Reaper (full Wells).

let's say, group composition;FB, dmg, dmg, secondary support, secondary support

sec support = scrapper, healbreaker, chrono, tempest. in this rowing sorta. scrappers are nearly staple, u just want the stealth option.

that's basically the magnus opum composition, which is used alike for a very long time.

@Shroud.2307 lmfao... druid?idk, i've not one time since i play wished that i had any ranger specs on my blobs... but often wished less of them on the openzergs.

the group composition in roamerpacks barely really matters. adding a firebrand just forces out real groups to destroy the roamergroup..... but yeah @ OP... gankergroups are still a thing, sadly.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 50 m&m necros, with minis activated and golemancer runes, also as many shiny infusions and armor and weapons as possible. let the lag fight for you.

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:let's say, group composition;FB, dmg, dmg, secondary support, secondary support

sec support = scrapper, healbreaker, chrono, tempest. in this rowing sorta. scrappers are nearly staple, u just want the stealth option.

that's basically the magnus opum composition, which is used alike for a very long time.

@Shroud.2307 lmfao... druid?idk, i've not one time since i play wished that i had any ranger specs on my blobs... but often wished less of them on the openzergs.

the group composition in roamerpacks barely really matters. adding a firebrand just forces out real groups to destroy the roamergroup..... but yeah @ OP... gankergroups are still a thing, sadly.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 50 m&m necros, with minis activated and golemancer runes, also as many shiny infusions and armor and weapons as possible. let the lag fight for you.

Druid spike heals are nice and can take you from 5% to 100% in a second. I've had them in groups enough times to know they earn their place, but only so in smaller groups. When things start to scale up past 15 or so, they become less valuable and Scrapper is a better replacement.

50 cannot-be-killed-lelz-engineers-coz-of-turrets-and-all-the-boons-without-even-expiring that can throw [Grenades] @ 1.6K damage critical each.

and what's that? 80K damage with all [Grenades] hitting? but 5 maxed number of AoE hits / player so 10 engis can throw [Grenade] and hit 5 persons EACH

add to that 40 engis more...

and you're facing what? 50 man stacked squad.

@"lordmeowalot.8135" said:Title! What is your ideal squad composition?

You can state your ideal squad size as well or state the the minimum squad size and composition then add numbers and classes/builds in increments.

Also, about 5 years ago there were usually 3 or so squad members designated as gankers (I forgot the term) for coordinated bursting of enemy stragglers and squishies. It was more prevalent during GvG but is this still a thing?

The old and its downfall

It was commonly known as a focus party or havoc party (what Strider mentioned I have not heard before but I have heard people refer to the party as setting up picks so such a name would also make sense). It ceased being a thing when HoT released in 2015. The last time I heard some group actively using it was early-mid 2016 back when some groups still split out Tempests from their parties (to cross/splash heal over the priority mechanics and thus had two broken parties [ie., 5+5+2+3]) but even then it was just one option to comp among multiple that was already growing increasingly rare. Also, many of the trends that came with HoT had already begun appearing so the HoT balance mostly just cemented them as the norm same as how the new elites did the same for PoF, just cementing existing norms and throwing balance further in favour of what already was popular. Interestingly, both expansions did that.

The remains, rise and other remaining content

There are similar elements to it today at times, but that is mainly in oversized (50+) pickup environments and they are composed more like oldschool range parties of the same era. So you could just as easily argue that those are more so remaining elements of vanilla ranged parties than vanilla focus parties. Considering that the new map caps and the general state of the mode has made 50+ organisation increasingly rare, so have those elements also become, turning that aspect into more of just unorganized individuality again (ie., people solo-havocking and clouding like that on their own on classes that permit).

GvG may still have parties that have different weight and balance to them for somewhat different roles rather than building every party equal in weight or similar in role, but the kind of focus party that used to exist also existed in a very specific rock-paper-scissor balance that we have not seen since. In fact the only reason that we may have seen traces of it in oversized pickups has to do with that superfluous clouds turning organized recreates those range parties and then you may need to find something to oppose them. In most cases, unorgnized clouding is just shrugged off as it doesn't have the coordinated damage to be effective. The old focus parties mainly existed to defend and attack range parties. Range parties existed to support (fields) and attack (AoE) melee cores that clashed with each other for position control.

Even now with the past year of damage and healing nerfs we still do not really have that kind of sustain for position control meaning one side usually breaks the other too quick to sort of spawn such a division of roles. Instead we see groups that either dominate other groups through advantages in one of those dimensions (melee, range) or we see a segmentation of tactics (range first, melee after) when two sides are more even; with the ranged tactics establishing advantages to pounce on by moving into melee tactics after the fact. The latter can be seen in both 15v15 scales as well as 30v30 scale and 50v50 pickups. The former is quite common to see when a cloud is weak vs. a group (often seen in complaints here on the forum) or when a smaller group is incompatibly stronger than a larger group (busting).

The wider implications and most recent discourse

With that said, WvW is still diverse enough to allow a havoc approach to be effective, however, that kind of organisation is just rare to see these days. You rarely see people havoc for the same reasons as you rarely see the kind of public-privates that used to be normative in vanilla. Instead you see more of the opposite, private-publics (eg., build-exclusive, disc-mandatory pickups) or just all-out privates at any scale under full blobs. Players and groups have become very entrenched and you see fewer and fewer of them "cross-moding" like that, likely for the reason that so many of those groups have quit and people have gotten entrenched by being defensive/protective of what they have. This due to a demography change (fewer socially active mode-ingrained players; eg., even in disc-mandatory pickups you can see 90% mics turned off - people "~playing alone together just or next to each other" as GW2 combat systems designer Jon Peters once put it) and a direction/system that takes content for granted (just send players into WvW, there will be tags) while ensuring that it can't be taken for granted (caps, caps, caps) and stifles content rather than encouraging it.

I've remarked on it in passing before, but I believe that this recent divide and sharpening tone on the topic of guilds stems from that they are beginning to become so rare now that their presence is becomming exceedingly powerful (more attention to who has content, more attention to meta etc.). There are more mismatched content matchups, not just per weekly reset but also day-to-day and on-map. That is interesting because it seeps through so many topics on this forum from players' attitudes to servers, to content and down to topics like these on balance, classes and composition. There is also some recent trends of groups that have been entrenched in specific subsets of content re-entering more of the day-to-day content (eg., poor roaming has benefitted busting, poor pickups have seen groups entering GvG and poor GvG has then seen those groups re-entering maps). When the GvG scene is 15, there are fight guilds around 25 and pickups around 50, that has an inherent balance to it. Something similar can be observed down in scale. Recent changes and trends are creating vacuums here. All of that is actually quite fascinating but no room to dive into it deeper here. This is already long enough and then some.

The only reason I am blabbering about all that extra stuff here is to perhaps broaden your perspectives a bit and remind you that an ideal composition is both a very specific (to what scale/end) and narrow (if you want havoc, you can still havoc, go out and do it, you don't need a squad's permission - you just need some likeminded friends assuming you can find some on your server!) discussion.

@XenesisII.1540 how's that comp called? Destiny's Edgy? notsure how u chose the classes that are not FB/scrapper there but well. in this meta, the firebrands alone would do a lot of work just by retal i guess xD

we had one time a group of 10-15 firebrands bc we did a training for them, and we really kinda killed an attacking roamergroup of also 10 ppl by just standing in them (while there's like 2-3 roamers of us also around, and the tower npcs been barely alive as well)

@cyberzombie.7348 /drops wells/ wells pulse / downed enemy*30 /bow

My ideal squad is first people who are on the same server. Followed by having geared their characters before entering wvw and then having some kind of build for carrying their weight within the squad. I haven't seen any of these things in years so it seems like along with no content other than micro transactions for cash shop items there hasn't been any development in this game since the layoffs.

Squad of 30, 1x fb and scrapper per party so I won't have to type that out each time.

Chrono, herald, dps spellbreaker(sb)Chrono, herald, nomad immob sbHerald, dh, scourgeHerald, dh, scourgeHerald, core guard, chronoHerald, core guard, reaper

All power to give as little boons to the enemy as possible from condi conversion through purity of purpose. 6x grav with a lot of primary strip classes and high burst so anybody caught by your group will die. Heavy ranged or melee spike to account for any situation. This comp should feel crushing to play against for most groups given the extreme amount of strips and insane coordinated burst. Replace third chrono for another sb if you want to smother them with bubbles instead of gravs