Wingless Skyscale Skin Idea

Hoover.6394

I'm super excited about Canthan expansion and the mount skin we could get from it.One thing I'm really looking forward to is to ride on an Orientals dragon mount. When I saw the new Lunar Maned Skyscale skin I wish they have done a bit more to it.

Here's some quick concept sketch i did based on the Lunar Maned Skyscale's model.The current skin could be tweaked a little bit more to make the skin looks cooler, by adding some extra details around the face, hair and horn.

It could also push it further to hide the wings to make it more a Lunar new year themed dragon skin. (Similar approach the humming bird Skimmer skin), the current skyscale has a jump animation when start flying, and body waving animation when stays in the air, it could work nicely without the wings, maybe just need some air effect or some cloud textures.

Do you like this version better than the original?

...QTqQTwW.jpg

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:A couple of things. First off mounts were PoFs specialty. EoD needs to come up with its own. Secondly while, yes Cantha is mostly a hodge-pog of different Asian cultures, it's not a one to one comparison. Case in point: the predominant dragons of Cantha, the Saltsprays, had wings.

We don’t know if mount is a POF specialty thing yet... and creature from GW2 could look different than GW1 version. also there can be way more type of dragon than Saltsprays hah

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:First off mounts were PoFs specialty. EoD needs to come up with its own.

POF still adds glider skins, even though gliders are a HOT specialty. There is NO reason not to continue adding mount skins when EOD is released, in fact Anet should release Canthan inspired skins for all mounts, and continue releasing them since mount skins are a great source of revenue.

As for the topic, a wingless skyscale would need a redesigned skeleton, and maybe a redesigned pose for the player, plus without wings it would be awkward to figure out what your skyscale is actually doing. Wings give perspective and help with going up, or gliding.

I like it!I wish they'd play more with loosing parts on mounts. I don't think you would need to do a complete new skeleton with animations, just have no mesh where the wings are. The skeleton and animations are the still there and moving just invisible in game.I'd love to see a Wyvern style skyscale too without the front legs.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:As for the topic, a wingless skyscale would need a redesigned skeleton, and maybe a redesigned pose for the player, plus without wings it would be awkward to figure out what your skyscale is actually doing. Wings give perspective and help with going up, or gliding.

yeah it kind of has to move like this mini https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini_Mystical_Dragon

for it's "flying" or floating in the sky to make some sense. so that's rigging a new skeleton and animations as the default skyscale one's probably would look silly

@"maddoctor.2738" said:without wings it would be awkward to figure out what your skyscale is actually doing. Wings give perspective and help with going up, or gliding.

If the ground's getting closer, you're going down. If the ground's getting closer and you're not riding a noodle dragon, you're going to land a lot harder. Glide or die!

In seriousness though, I like this design. Sleek, simple, would probably look fine woobling around in the sky. Skyscales already seem way too chonk to be flying (yet there they are, doing that weird choking animation loop). Similar has been done before with the Skimmer, yes, but also in other ways like how the Raptor and Springer have been made skinnier than the base model or in some instances had their tail and ears chopped off completely.

If they can add horns, remove tails, erase ears, or change a fish into a bird (or a turtle!), I don't think linguini beasts are too big an ask.

..still waiting on Fern Hound/Thorn Wolf Jackals though.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:First off mounts were PoFs specialty. EoD needs to come up with its own.

POF still adds glider skins, even though gliders are a HOT specialty. There is NO reason not to continue adding mount skins when EOD is released, in fact Anet should release Canthan inspired skins for all mounts, and continue releasing them since mount skins are a great source of revenue.@Hoover.6394 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:A couple of things. First off mounts were PoFs specialty. EoD needs to come up with its own. Secondly while, yes Cantha is mostly a hodge-pog of different Asian cultures, it's not a one to one comparison. Case in point: the predominant dragons of Cantha, the Saltsprays,
had wings.

....and creature from GW2 could look different than GW1 version. also there can be way more type of dragon than Saltsprays hah

Mea Culpa, I somehow had it in my sleep deprived brain that OP was asking for a new mount instead of just a skin. However I stand by my point about the Saltsprays. Art changes will only go so far and as such you can't just hand wave away something as big as something that previously had wings suddenly not having them, especially a species as important as the Saltsprays, of which includes Kuunavang herself. Cantha does or did have other dragons but they were all more comparable to drakes then the serpentine dragons your asking for.