I would love to see an updated player death count from Pocket Raptors

I remember early on in HoT, a dev commenting with the tally of Pocket Raptor deaths and remember laughing at the crazy number. I'm sure I contributed to quite a few of those deaths. Anyways, now that PoF is coming, I would totally love to see an updated count before I start dying to a new little punk monster in the Crystal Desert.

I used to get killed by pocket raptors all the time when HoT first came out. I hated them! There were areas that I honestly didn't know how I was going to get to because I was getting overrun by the little buggers 2, 3, 4 sets of them in a row. Then I got better at HoT, learned the elite specializations, etc. and now I only rarely get killed by them.

When HoT first came out, I was getting killed all the time by everything. It was frustrating in the extreme. But when you struggle with something in the beginning and then you learn what to do, being able to kill those same things becomes very satisfying. To this day, I love breaking break bars, killing pocket raptors, rolling devils, and stoneheads, etc. just because I vividly remember when I struggled so much.

@Celtic Lady.3729 said:I used to get killed by pocket raptors all the time when HoT first came out. I hated them! There were areas that I honestly didn't know how I was going to get to because I was getting overrun by the little buggers 2, 3, 4 sets of them in a row. Then I got better at HoT, learned the elite specializations, etc. and now I only rarely get killed by them.

When HoT first came out, I was getting killed all the time by everything. It was frustrating in the extreme. But when you struggle with something in the beginning and then you learn what to do, being able to kill those same things becomes very satisfying. To this day, I love breaking break bars, killing pocket raptors, rolling devils, and stoneheads, etc. just because I vividly remember when I struggled so much.

I agree. One of my favorite things about this game is its combat system. It's surprising how much you can improve with practice and through trying different builds. There were so many things I thought were literally just impossible for my class initially that seem like a walk in the park now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing. Pocket raptors are just scratching the surface!

@Shirlias.8104 said:I don't have problems with em but i am a staff thief, maybe that's why.And if downed with the new ability ( 5 ) i can manage to survive pretty easy.

i have more issues with the ones who roll over and over, cause steal apart i don't have any interrupt skills.

Tip for rolling devils, any kind of soft CC will wither their bar, so staff thief's sand-blind attack would do it.Unless it's that special pack of devils in Auric Basin that don't take CC, but that's corner case.

Also, what I tend to do more often is find a small ledge they can't climb and pound them from my perch. :)

Honestly to date my girlfriend still absolutely despises Pocket Raptors for all the times she died after running through them. I've...see I've died before no doubt just trying to run anyway, but I generally haven't had the same issue because I use lots of classes with AoE.

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Goettel.4389 said:

Extreme necro

Somebody used at least search feature on this forum to dig up Pocket Raptors out of their pockets! 😄

To main thread discussion
Anyway Pocket Raptor where a problem more because of how some profession didn't have that much of AoE to kill those in time or methods to avoid them. With PoF and mounts those Pocket Raptors can either be avoided or you can use some of your mounts abilities to kill most of those and end the rest with our AoEs. Today most profession and builds have means to get around that, but they can still be deadly if one doesn't act carefully.

The largest danger are those spike shooting creatures (when you aggro too many) as those can shoot so many bleeds that it can be hard to avoid getting killed. Pocket Raptors are easier to eliminate as those move in groups and in a predefined pattern. Spike shooting creatures can spawn and have a ranged attack (spikes) which can be harder to avoid if you are unlucky.

[Edit

By "spawn" I mean that when you are already fighting one or two of those creatures, it is possible you get overwhelmed by more spike shooting creatures you didn't know would spawn in range for being aggro'ed and their attacks are very fast compared to other attacks in game.]

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 2