Meeting player in open world . Are you happy?

moony.5780

Well group content is designed to be done in groups, but in the open world its fine to encounter others.

• Loot is automatically assigned.
  • Players loot resource nodes sepparate from other players.
  • Other players means your are more likely to defeat enemies if it is a combat encounter.
  • Encounters can be quicker with more players. Granted not always.
  • Even if you do not interact with other players, your play experience is largely unaffected and you can proceed at your pace.

This is all in line with Arenanet's manifesto back in 2012. They wanted a world where players are happy to play with and encounter others. That's part of the reason they got rid of the Hero or Companion mechanic. It didn't make sense to have to bring AI with you if you design your game to offer players enough power and incentive to work together.

The only time I'm not happy to see other players in open world PvE is while doing the daily task "Complete Events in [specific zone]." Completing this task, done when I prefer to play (around reset), produces the most ludicrous game-play I've seen in any game. Players spam attacks, preferably AoE's, at expected mob spawn points, hoping to do enough damage to get event credit because the mobs die as they spawn.

Good news for me! I no longer do this task. The side effect of that decision, though, is that my consumption of open world PvE is reduced as a result.

I mainly play solo because my free time is erratic and unpredictable so it's impossible for me to commit to being online at a set time every day/week to go through things with a group and impractical to try to do it on an ad-hoc basis as I'm often not sure how long I'll have. What I choose to do is even more erratic, I might log in with a specific goal in mind and then get completely side-tracked and end up doing something I didn't even know was an option or had forgotten about. I enjoy doing that and wouldn't want to avoid it or have to persuade everyone else (like "hey I know we came to do map completion, but this world boss is starting up, can we do that first?") so it's just easier for me to play solo.

But that means I like encountering other players because it means I'm not totally alone and I get to play with other people without the longer commitment. We might do a whole meta-event together, or it might be just one fight, or maybe one of us resurrects the other after a fall, or offers advice via map chat. It's the benefits of the social side of the game without being restricted to finding and sticking with an established group.

Of course the way the game is designed helps a lot with that, the fact everyone gets their own loot and XP even if you're not in a party with them, so you never have to worry about kill/loot stealing, no one can attack other players in PvE, a lot of events scale up to the number of players and so on. In several other MMOs it would not be practical to play the way I do because it would mean missing a lot and/or annoying a lot of people.

(Also if I want to play solo I can play a single-player game. If I want to be really unsociable I can play Breath of the Wild where I can go for hours without seeing a non-enemy NPC, there's no companions and my character doesn't talk.)

I like how the game doesn't force me to do things with other people. In other MMOs, you're dependant of other players, but if those players don't want to play with you, the game becomes unplayable. So I like the Guild Wars general approach. Play alone (or with NPCs if you count GW1) and play with others if you want to. No one depends on anyone and no one ruins anyone else's fun. That said, I still like seeing other people and talking to them, or even doing things with them as long as they're not content rushers/elitists, etc.

I am primarily a solo player. I do like that I can play with other people and that there is content that requires grouping.

I will group with my partner on the regular to do shared content like stories or dailies. As well, I will use Mentor tags to alert others on a map to an event/bounty/collection I will be attempting. I also use my Comm tag and LFG to get people together for larger events (recently Bjora Marches and Path to Ascension metas as examples).

I also appreciate that when I do run into players 'in the wild' that I can jump in and help them and I don't mind if others come and help me.

So while I do say I am primarily a solo player, I do group with friends and randoms about half the time I am logged in. As there is little to no competition between players in PvE having other players around, in my opinion, is a nice thing to have but not required.

@Naxos.2503 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:I'm not sure that I understand the premise of this poll. What is trying to be understood by the results based on the options provided?

I'm not sure what the point/problem is either. I'm thoroughly confused. Is this a poll to get the badge ? xD

@ both....here is written " If u r not happy, what changes do u suggest?" + with a poll its easier to see the opinion of many people instead of 1 noisy person.

Also..i dont care about badges...im not into sitting on the forum and writting 1k+ comments :)

@"moony.5780" said:So....MMORPG means "massively multiplayer online role-playing game". But are you happy or not happy to meet other play in open world?

for the most part, yes i love seeing a populated openworld. but i dont usually interact with people, i leave them be unless they ask for help to kill something (champ/event)

the only time i sort-of hate seeing more people (but not really) is when im doing map completion on an alt and it's an annoying heart where the objectives are often contested and scarce -- luckily these aren't many so what i usually do is just do them during off-peak hours when there are usually less people online.

I enjoy playing mostly alone with the option to play with others, jump into an event, help each other, that kind of thing. I like joining a group if I'm on a map and there is a commander tag doing the same things.

I like seeing people in the world because it gives it a more vibrant, alive aspect than a solo player game with just NPCs. The casual interaction is nice without feeling forced, and helping each other out is a delightful part of the community. That being said, I like doing my own thing at my own pace, but sometimes it's fun to see what others are doing and hop in.

I'm wondering what could possibly -and honestly- make someone unhappy about meeting another player in open world in a game like gw2. There's one person that voted for a "not happy" option and I specifically wanted to read the reasoning, but... well... it doesn't exist. Can anyone explain in what way meeting another player in gw2 could make him unhappy? <.<

I also agree @kharmin.7683 and @"Naxos.2503" and wonder what's the point of the poll. I think usually making a poll like this one would be "triggered" by some ingame event OP participated in. Meanwhile @moony.5780 himself didn't vote and subsequentially explain his opinion about this. Why is that? And where exactly the idea for this poll come from? ;)(and don't confuse this post with me saying you shouldn't make the poll or anything like that, that's not the case. I'm just curious about the things I've asked above)

• Confused 1

I find the open world content in this game to be mind-numbingly bland. Almost a complete lack of challenge. I prefer playing with others in general, just not here. Working as a group to overcome challenges greater than any one of us is fun. Having multiple people semi-afk auto-attack a foe down with almost no chance of failure is not more fun than doing so alone. Without challenges to overcome as a group (and I admit that there are a few) then playing as a group is meaningless. If all one wants is to socialize the game is not needed.

Playing alone most of the time, but not really by choice. Whenever there is an event or an option to interact with other players, I give it a try. Even if I am not interested in the event or its loot. Most of my bounty-tours are just for group-gameplay. Once in a while I come across an NPC vendor and realize how many items I can trade, but I do not run bounties with the focus on the loot. I do not even run the Mad King's Labyrinth primarily for the loot. It is just so much fun to fight all the bosses with a group, especially Steve. Same goes for meta-events.

The development of communication is a little disappointing. I noticed a trend of players not wanting to talk in open world anymore. Most approaches are ignored. Say chat rarely works. Sometimes I feel like an NPC. Building up a dialogue in map-chat, turned out to be rather difficult nowadays. Also because some people just spam "wiki is your friend" for every question that pops up :S. Questions are still the easiest way to start a conversation. However the bounce/jump communication still works, which is nice.

Note: Cannot mention this often enough. BIG THANKS FOR THE Sweet Campfire Treat. It creates wholesome moments, people relax, sit together and even start talking.

Well, becasue it's an MMO. I don't play MMOs to solo around, i play them to play with people. The only reason i "play alone" is because this game lets you do that. I can just do my own thing, and others can join or i them without the need for a party.

But whenever i see someone, unless we're just running by each other in separate directions, if we end up doing the same thing for like a minute, i always say something. Anything really, most of the time it's either a cringe joke of a current situation or like, a comment out of nowhere. And to this community's credit - most of the people respond and love to have a chat, even for just a minute. I didn't come across many rude players, and when i did, i usually managed to turn the situation into everyone laughing. Because there's rarely "all bad all the time" people in game, most of the "edgy" ones are either bored or had a rough day or whatever so they tease in map chat and troll a bit. Personally - i can laugh with them, even at my own expense - and whenever i start laughing with them at my own expense the situation suddenly turns into a funny conversation that has nothing to do with how it started. I love this community!

There's some people that either write something short and stop responding or don't respond at all. So that's ok, i just leave them alone to do their thing.

The weird part?

I'm not like that in real life or other MMOs! :astonished:

I don't go out of my way to talk to people in RL, nor do i practice it in other MMOs, and in no other MMO did i meet such a chill friendly community which speaks volumes on how good the fundamental game design is that makes me comfortable enough to just drop a comment to random people without it being awkward for both parties.

Other than that, i join squads when there's metas and i regularly do WvW with my guilds so yeah, this game is best with people. Which should be no surprise to anyone since it's an MMO, but not all MMOs are created equal and i've had some uncomfortable cringe moments in most of them when it comes to grouping and player interaction but not here.

I play solo much of the time as I have very bad vision & would hurt cutting edge groups (fractals etc). This game is spectacular in several ways though.-I can join an open world group, meta, boss fight without issue. I learn the open world group boss mechanics & I spend time learning my characters, so I can contribute to the group's success without feeling I hurt anyone's chances of success,-people in the world that I have met so far have been kind, helpful, & friendly. This makes me happy to be the same towards others. I always try to rez others & if I see someone having a tough time soloing something I will ask if they need help & join in :)-A few of the other games I have played in the past have made me feel useless because I cannot compete at "cutting edge" content. Here, I can explore to my heart's content, going slowly to savor the "new lands", new characters, and my amazing mounts! I do not feel useless here. I am allowed to enjoy my game time as I like. Anet never takes away my mounts "for reasons" for a year at a time each expansion...-It is so very much fun to gather in a big group & melt the big foes together...it just makes me happy to be part of it all. Currently I am doing the RIBA in Silverwastes every day to gain XP for my Central Tyria masteries. The commanders are kind & fun as are the fights as a group. Prior to RIBA, I was running the Drakkar meta in Bjora for currency for my Skyscale (along with gathering eternal ice by mining & chests), and running the meta in Dragonfall daily too. I feel so happy in these groups, not only because the other players are kind & fun, but because I am 64 & the Covid isolation has not been good, lol. Even if no one says much, I feel a part of something & that makes my day. I am sure there are people playing who are not as nice, but I have not encountered them personally.

I am very happy to see & group with others in GW2. Groups are easy to join, and I find the game alot of fun. Thanks to all the great & friendly folks who play :)

@"moony.5780" said:So....MMORPG means "massively multiplayer online role-playing game". But are you happy or not happy to meet other play in open world? And why? If u r not happy, what changes do u suggest? (only gw2 experience)

I mainly play in a party. Im mainly happy to see other player in open world because... World vs World baby! We play TOGETHER! Teamwork!

MassivelyMultiplayer

The only time I don't like other people sharing the same space with me in-game is when they spew hateful, disgusting rhetoric in say and map chat (Ie: racism, sexism and overly sexual "jokes" ) People who break the TOS with their offensive verbal abuse, guild/pet and character names and then take it out on people who ask them to take it down a notch.Like - I get this is the internet but it is also a game with rules which was agreed to by making an account and playing. There are people playing with their families (like trying to introduce their moms or dads or grandparents to the game for example).No one should have to disable all mode of chat except guild and party. Often we need to listen to a commander or mentor and rely on map chat to communicate a need for help in the area.

So yeah other than that, I love how the game is. Running across people, helping out - makes me feel like a hero sometimes, and other times makes me feel people care or need me enough to get me off the ground to help finish an enemy. It's awesome.

I usually play alone, but like meeting other players in open world because there is no competition that reduces my own gameplay, and it is much easier for others to enhance my experience. I especially like when I run into one or two other random players and then we complete some event that would have been really hard or close to impossible alone. I also find it fun to do combo fields for some reason.