I'm a bit mad.

Joote.4081

I was over a hour playing the introduction to POF, I get to the part where I am riding town after defeating all the enemy, then I must have touched the boundary of the map. No warning, nothing. It boots me right back to the airship at lions arch. I could not believe it. I have to do the whole poxy mission over again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:Are you really playing GW2 if you haven't been booted from a story instance for seemingly illogical reasons?

No it's my first time as I usually avoid the story missions like the plunge. My only reason for doing is this time was to gain access to POF.Saying that, the POF story mission seemed much better then the early stuff.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Is it really that long, over an hour?I don't remember it taking much time, but it's been awhile.

That first mission is pretty long. First you fight Balthazar’s herald, then you fight her some more, then you fight Balthazar’s hounds, then you stop the city from burning and save the raptors, then you get a raptor and go kill stuff in the caves with it, then you go meet up with your guild mates at the city. The first time through, I can see how it could take an hour. Is all of it in the same instance, though? I never realized that. It felt like multiple instances while doing it, but I guess it might be the same one the whole time.

@Cleopatra.4068 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Is it really that long, over an hour?I don't remember it taking much time, but it's been awhile.

That first mission is pretty long. First you fight Balthazar’s herald, then you fight her some more, then you fight Balthazar’s hounds, then you stop the city from burning and save the raptors, then you get a raptor and go kill stuff in the caves with it, then you go meet up with your guild mates at the city. The first time through, I can see how it could take an hour. Is all of it in the same instance, though? I never realized that. It felt like multiple instances while doing it, but I guess it might be the same one the whole time.

Yup all the same instance....

I joke about it as I have been booted from Story instances for all manner of reasons, the worst being during cut scenes at the end of a story step (because idle disconnects are a thing).

@Joote.4081 said:

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:Are you really playing GW2 if you haven't been booted from a story instance for seemingly illogical reasons?

No it's my first time as I usually avoid the story missions like the plunge. My only reason for doing is this time was to gain access to POF.Saying that, the POF story mission seemed much better then the early stuff.

I want to say that you can use a TP to Friend to get into PoF without doing the story, although that might not apply to the first character you take through. I do know it can be done with alts on the same account for sure.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

Yup all the same instance....

I joke about it as I have been booted from Story instances for all manner of reasons, the worst being during cut scenes at the end of a story step (because idle disconnects are a thing).

I want to say that you can use a TP to Friend to get into PoF without doing the story, although that might not apply to the first character you take through. I do know it can be done with alts on the same account for sure.

I seem to remember more than 1 instance here. When you do the heart I don't remember being in an instance. Later in the story, I believe it "Night of Fires" or soemthing. That is a long instance that I would prefer was cut down.

Yes it's a long instance. That long I said to myself 'when is this going to end' I'm sure I was very near completion when I got kicked. Why kick you back to Lions gate? That's cruel. And not to give you the usual warning that you are leaving the instance boundary is even cruller.

If you plan on doing anymore PoF story prepare yourself for several story instances that should have been broken down into two or three instances. I'm really hoping Anet's quality control stops the devs from creating unreasonably long instances in the new expansion. Even better, I hope they add an auto save function so issues like the OP described don't cause a full mission restart.

Usually Anet instances tend to teleport you back if you go over the border, but I think at the end of the day the problem is level design. If Anet want to keep us in a REALLY confined area to have tea and a chat (like the infamous LWS4 episode 3 "Forearmed is Forewarned" chapter where one raptor jump in any direction during a chat scene could bump you out of the instance), a cutscene is needed... not a boxed wall.

I still don't understand why there can't be an invisible wall, or the game just teleports you to at least a checkpoint whenever you exit the boundary.Happened to me in a LS4 map where you have to sneak around (start of Kourna), there's a teleport skill and i wasn't looking at the minimap, the teleport skill has a huge range, i teleported out of bounds - instant kick. But it continued where i left off so no big deal. I didn't have to redo the entire mission.I guess it's a small problem so it's not really a priority. Certainly doesn't happen very often.

It's happened to me at least a couple of times across different story instances. One of the more annoying "features" of GW2 story instances for me. The instance introducing PoF is indeed quite long and the first time you do it may be quite difficult as it was for my elementalist, so I can understand your frustration.