Perhaps the problem is me, tell me how to beat you.

Crab Fear.1624

Playing CopeBreaker: gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAIl7lJwSYYMFGKeaX+vTA-zZwOlMFC9KCyYB0xEQHDA

Not much mobility so you could backcap.If you +1 me and spam blinds I can't proc Adrenal health as often.Could also spam-interrupt my skills, particularly Mending.If it's a 1v1 you could purchase several [Flask of Blood Whiskey] from the TPYou probably have a higher attention span than me as well, so you would probably win eventually.

Namaste ?

You know my build for the most part. But to be specific:

• Berserker/Eagle - Longbow Energy/Separation - Greatsword Energy/Intelligence - Smokescale/Gazelle
  • Wilderness - 1/2/2 - Beastmaster - 3/2/3 - Soulbeast - 2/1/3
  • Troll Unguent - Quick Zephyr - Sic Em - Lightning Reflex - One Wolf Pack

This build certainly counts as a hard counter vs. nearly all Thief/Daredevil/Deadeye specs, outside of brawly Staff specs. Brawly Staff specs can survive and take/hold nodes against it even if they can't secure a kill on it. In other words, killing this as a DP Daredevil isn't so easy to do.

To be able to kill an actual good high DPS Soulbeast with DP Daredevil, there are a handful of things that you must do and things you must never do:

1. Only ever approach it when you are near an area with plenty of LOS and elevation changes near you. This is so you can preemptively plan escape routes from the pet AI and cover from ranged burst.
  2. Never try to get the jump on the Ranger in the same way you would try to get the jump on other classes. This only leads to the Thief getting himself way too close to the Ranger, the Ranger survives the initial jump and then bites back real hard and usually 1shots the Thief. What you need to do is walk in at the Ranger in a very obvious manner and bait his Sic Em burst. You use those preemptively planned escape routes to avoid large damage and bait that big burst once the Ranger initiates it. You want to watch for the Reveal icon above your utility bar and the OWP icon under the Ranger's UI. 9 out of 10 Rangers will attempt to immediately LB 4 you and go into Rapid Fire, burning all of their burst utility right off the bat. Only a few Rangers in NA would be wise enough not to do this if a Thief walked directly at them. Never go in at the Ranger until it burns its burst. Alternatively, if you KNOW he is using OWP this means he has no stability. <- In this event, you can actually monkey around him and ruin his burst not by running and LOSing, but by poking him with Headshots. Daggerstorm is also a great way to ruin a Ranger burst but I advise preserving it for the 2nd cycle of the Ranger's Sic Em, when he uses it on you again 30s after your initial approach.
  3. Once it burns its burst, the Ranger's damage threat seriously drops out and he will have 50% of his weapon skills on CD and most of his utilities as well. This is when you can get real aggressive with the Ranger. Two things to note: 1) When he is on GS side, he has no multi strike attacks such as symbols that can easily hit through blind pulsing. You can really abuse Black Powder Shot vs. Rangers who are on GS side. BPS is so abusive vs. Ranger GS side, that the Thief can just walk at the Ranger and BPS repeatedly while auto attacking with 1, and actually kill the Ranger this way with no fancy footwork required at all. 2) When they swap to LB side, their entire goal to get you off them is to land LB4 and knock you back into eating a Rapid Fire. I'm going to commit treason against the Ranger Police and explain to you how to easily counter this. Just save your Steal that has Sleight Of Hand CC attached to it, for when you get knocked back and right as the Rapid Fire begins, just steal to the Ranger and interrupt the Rapid Fire. This is the perfect way to bait LB4s. The LB4 deals no damage and you can instantly stop the Rapid Fire damage with the Steal CC. When the Ranger is close range with you on LB side for his 9s weapon swap, he has no damage on LB3 or LB1 autos close range and his LB5 is easy to avoid. If you do this right, all you should be worried about vs. Ranger LB in close range is his pet damage.
  4. So you approach Ranger in obvious manner to bait big burst damage, don't try to jump him. After baiting burst, you go in at Ranger. Ride the Ranger GS side with BPS, and save your Steal CC for baiting LB4 and interrupting Rapid Fire LB damage. This is how you beat Rangers with DP.

What I explained here ^ will work against probably 90% or greater of the NA LB/GS Ranger community. But when you go against the best Rangers who are wise enough to avoid these tactics, what they will do is they will begin to use skills very sporadically and randomly so you can't abuse what I explained here. In that event, you just avoid those Ranger players in 1v1s and only ever go at them if you are +ing another player who is already engaging the Ranger.

Interesting thread. If you and I were 1v1ing and I was playing sidenode zerker spellbreaker, the main things I would be worried about would be:

• Getting FC interrupted via steal + Basilisk when I'm trying to use it as a sustain evade
  • Getting a burst skill blinded mid-cast. Oof. This would be a clutch blind on your part.
  • While not the end of a fight, you stealing my fury after landing arcing slice would not be very good for me.
  • In a 2v1 your shortbow poison + daze would pretty much force me off node in most cases.

@KrHome.1920 said:You don't beat D/P+SB thief. You build for not dying to it, while killing its teammates, as this build can reset fights for ages.

I beat, srt destroy dd's all the time so not sure what ur on about, I catch a lot of em even in wvw but in conquest lol their definitely beatable. U sound like u just don't like em peeiod and are way exaggerating their prowess. Weird coming from a necro, shouldn't u be spending ur time giving suggestions to anet on how necro's should be fairly nerfed, Lich auto's etc etc? :) theirs a reason ur class along with guards are thee most played classes no?

@TrollingDemigod.3041 said:You pretty much delete anything that doesn't have high generation of boons 24/7 passively, that free fear(soo why teef have access to fear at all?) on boonless enemies is a bit broken and you can just 11111 enemy to death without even trying.

Reading through all that nonsense bias was hard, u must be buds with Khome.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"KrHome.1920" said:You don't beat D/P+SB thief. You build for not dying to it, while killing its teammates, as this build can reset fights for ages.

I beat, srt destroy dd's all the time so
not sure what ur on about
I catch a lot of em
even in wvw but in conquest lol their definitely beatable. U sound like u just don't like em peeiod and are way exaggerating their prowess.
Weird coming from a necro
, shouldn't u be spending ur time giving suggestions to anet on how necro's should be fairly nerfed,
Lich auto's
etc etc? :) theirs a reason ur class along with guards are thee most played classes no?In a nutshell: you fight overextending thieves.

The rest of your posting: no sure what you are on about. I play two classes: necro (that hasn't equipped lich since 2012) and ... thief. So your whole "argumentation" (more a rant getting personal) instantly becomes pretty dumb.

@thread-topic:D/P+SB SA/Tr/DrD is a utility focused build. It has seen numerous nerfs in the past, because it was overperforming (jack of all trades). Duelling is not the main focus of this build. This is a decap and +1 build, that is impossible to catch unless the player is stupid. If you want to duell you can create much better thief builds for that purpose.

The only thing you can try on that build is resetting the fight over and over again until you get the upper hand in terms of cooldowns, but like I said in my posting above: smart encounters will run builds you can not "out-cooldown".

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:Okay, let us say I am running this build:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Dagger/Pistol

I don't...but that doesnt matter.

Now, you tell me your build, and how I would beat it with this, or if it is futile.

Thank you sensei.

I don't show you how i'm playing and qq on forums until your class gets nerfed so i can roflstomp you ez

@KrHome.1920 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:You don't beat D/P+SB thief. You build for not dying to it, while killing its teammates, as this build can reset fights for ages.

I beat, srt destroy dd's all the time so
not sure what ur on about
I catch a lot of em
even in wvw but in conquest lol their definitely beatable. U sound like u just don't like em peeiod and are way exaggerating their prowess.
Weird coming from a necro
, shouldn't u be spending ur time giving suggestions to anet on how necro's should be fairly nerfed,
Lich auto's
etc etc? :) theirs a reason ur class along with guards are thee most played classes no?In a nutshell: you fight overextending thieves.

The rest of your posting: no sure what you are on about. I play two classes: necro (that hasn't equipped lich since 2012) and ... thief. So your whole "argumentation" (more a rant getting personal) instantly becomes pretty dumb.

@thread-topic:D/P+SB SA/Tr/DrD is a utility focused build. It has seen numerous nerfs in the past, because it was overperforming (jack of all trades). Duelling is not the main focus of this build. This is a decap and +1 build, that is impossible to catch unless the player is stupid. If you want to duell you can create much better thief builds for that purpose.

The only thing you can try on that build is resetting the fight over and over again until you get the upper hand in terms of cooldowns, but like I said in my posting above: smart encounters will run builds you can not "out-cooldown".

Well over extending or not most either lose the 1v1 or leave and if the leave than they haven't stopped me from what I was doing or I have made them have to change what the were doing,win win. If he resets and returns that means I got a breather as well.So what would u consider being a better outcome? Would like the thief to not be able to disengage and instead just be a easy kill in the majority of any 1v1 it takes, that sounds fair right lol.

@Ragnar.4257 said:Against power guardian:

Shadowshot -> unblockable 3k damage -> dash out of range of counter-pressure

Repeat until you win, don't even need other weapon skills. Bonus points for using the stolen 3s daze.

Lmao just that easy eh, given guards a known hard counter to thieves and known to be in favor of guard when players are close to equal skill im surprised everyone has missed this easy tactic all these yrs, who woulda thought it was so easy lol.Man these forums are sad these days.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"Ragnar.4257" said:Against power guardian:

Repeat until you win, don't even need other weapon skills. Bonus points for using the stolen 3s daze.

Lmao just that easy eh, given guards a known hard counter to thieves and known to be in favor of guard when players are close to equal skill im surprised everyone has missed this easy tactic all these yrs, who woulda thought it was so easy lol.Man these forums are sad these days.

Doesn't stop it being true. And whether or not the matchup is in favour of the thief or the guard, doesn't change the fact that this is the best strategy for the thief to employ, which is what OP asked for. OP didn't ask "which matchup is thief favoured in", he asked "how should I go about fighting X class". You've not understood.

Thieves lose to guards when they try to stay in melee and go toe-to-toe.

Thieves can beat power guards when they spike-and-kite, and prioritise their unblockable stuff.

Talking about a dps power guard, not a burn-bunker.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

Doesn't stop it being true. And whether or not the matchup is in favour of the thief or the guard, doesn't change the fact that this is the best strategy for the thief to emply.

Thieves can beat power guards when they spike-and-kite, and prioritise their unblockable stuff.

u saying it doesnt make it true :) all ur statements says is u sit there and eat repeated shodow shots till ur dead lol what are u doing in between afking, Then complain how easy a target u are?

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Doesn't stop it being true. And whether or not the matchup is in favour of the thief or the guard, doesn't change the fact that this is the best strategy for the thief to emply.

u saying it doesnt make it true :) all ur statements says is u sit there and eat repeated shodow shots till ur dead lol what are u doing in between afking, Then complain how easy a target u are?

What could it do?

It can't catch the thief?

The way a guardian beats a thief is by standing on point and waiting for the thief to come close and make the mistake of fighting toe-to-toe.

The way a thief beats guardian is to refuse to play that game.

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@Ragnar.4257 said:(...)Talking about a dps power guard, not a burn-bunker.

Isn't it even more difficult as burn guard? Because they have almost zero cover condis and thief cleanses single stack with evading?

It depends on the build and how much sustain it has built in, not the damage-type.

A symbol build with honor+valor will never die to a thief, but a more damage-oriented build can absolutely be killed.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

You are free to ignore this advice and keep being a victim.

OP asked "how do I beat you". I told him how. As someone who has many hours playing power-guardian in P2/P3, yes I do usually beat thieves 1v1, but I do occasionally lose, and when I do lose this is how those thieves have played the matchup.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

What could it do?

The way a guardian beats a thief is by standing on point and waiting for the thief to come close and make the mistake of fighting toe-to-toe.

u must be be doing something wrong given guard is thiefs hard counter and is usually a favored match up for the guard. Most guards I face even with a shadow shot successful usually immediately return the favor with higj damage burn stacks, usually if ur even close enough to touch a guard with melee ur eating burn etc that delete a teefs hp quick. Thief can clear em sure but is eating more stacks when trying to engage again. They kite u use ur scepter and Jesus beam lol or spirit weapon for high burn stacks. Guards have options vs thief and is actually a favorable fight for the guard, maybe u should practice more.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

What could it do?

u must be be doing something wrong given guard is thiefs hard counter and is usually a favored match up for the guard. Most guards I face even with a shadow shot successful usually immediately return the favor with higj damage burn stacks, usually if ur even close enough to touch a guard with melee ur eating burn etc that delete a teefs hp quick. Thief can clear em sure but is eating more stacks when trying to engage again. They kite u use ur scepter and Jesus beam lol or spirit weapon for high burn stacks. Guards have options vs thief and is actually a favorable fight for the guard, maybe u should practice more.

You've missed the part where I said I was talking about power-guardian. It really helps to read all of the words.

Burn-DH is an entirely different situation.

You're also STILL ignoring that this isn't about which class is favoured in the matchup. This is about which strategy has the best chance of winning for the thief.

Nobody ever said that thief was favoured in this matchup, so why do you keep arguing that point?

I'll say it again, very very slowly. This thread, is not about which matchups does thief win. Not about that. Not. About. That. Because the answer to that question is "none of them". What it is about is which strategy gives the thief the highest chance of winning, even if that chance is slim.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

What could it do?

You've missed the part where I said I was talking about power-guardian. It really helps to read all of the words.

You're also STILL ignoring that this isn't about which class is favoured in the matchup. This is about which strategy has the best chance of winning for the thief.

Nobody ever said that thief was favoured in this matchup, so why do you keep arguing that point?

I'll say it again, very very slowly. This thread, is not about which matchups does thief win. Not about that. Not. About. That. It is about which strategy gives the thief the highest chance of winning, even if that chance is slim.

Regardless whether ur playing power guard or not i doubt its as easy as shadow shot and repeat. U are right I missed the power guard part, props are due to u then good sir for not jumping on the fotm burn guard. To that I say carry on.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

What could it do?

I'll say it again, very very slowly. This thread, is not about which matchups does thief win. Not about that. Not. About. That. It is about which strategy gives the thief the highest chance of winning, even if that chance is slim.

Regardless whether ur playing power guard or not i doubt its as easy as shadow shot and repeat. U are right I missed the power guard part, props are due to u then good sir for not jumping on the fotm burn guard. To that I say carry on.

It really is that simple.

Guardian defense is based around blocks.

You have an unblockable skill.

Why would you waste initiative on anything else?