Switching Mount Without Dismounting

@Miss Lana.5276 said:

@Mil.3562 said:I just discovered that you can switch mount without dismounting.

Nope. Even with your method you are still dismounting, it's just an extremely fast re-mount.

Technically true, but this method is the best alternative that we have to actual switching without dismounting. This is definitely good information for people, so thanks @Mil.3562!

@crashburntoo.7431 said:

@Mil.3562 said:I just discovered that you can switch mount without dismounting.

Nope. Even with your method you are still dismounting, it's just an extremely fast re-mount.

Technically true, but this method is the best alternative that we have to actual switching without dismounting. This is definitely good information for people, so thanks @Mil.3562!

Thank you crash : DI cannot disagree that technically it is still a dismount and re-mount but if you tap fast enough it basically skips the dismount animation and switches to another mount immediately. Why three taps? With just two taps, you may miss the re-mount by tapping a little too fast or too slow, but with three taps you will never miss the re-mount if you tap fast.

I recall a dev writing that they had looked into allowing for mount swap without dismounting, but that there were issues (animation? do not recall exactly) or were not happy with it so they scrapped/postponed adding it. Will try to find it in the big mount swap thread where I think I saw it.

However, if you go to the Jackal training area where you can try out the mount for the heart (or likely any mount training area), you can swap from your current mount to the temporary mount instantly in a poof. It works fantastic with no need to stop moving to swap and also looks very well animated without issue. I tried making the swap bug out in some way (swap at angles, while jumping, while using mount ability, many others), but it all worked great.

As those mounts are positioned in a controlled environments where I was unable to create a swap issue, I'm sure there are situations away from the training area that could cause issues were we to have instant mount swap.

If it is not due to these potential situations 'out in the wild', what else could be the reason for limiting the instant swap to only working on the training mounts and not for our own mounts? One possibility is that we have to dismount to swap between our own mounts so as to intentionally create a situation where we are forced off of our mounts so we are vulnerable to nearby enemies to engage us in combat instead of their attacks hitting the mount. This would prevent players from easily swapping mounts to overcome terrain and completely ignoring any and all enemies we encounter. Essentially, to slow players down and encourage engagement situations.

It seems to me be an intentional limitation on our characters as a design choice, not due to some tech limitation or incomplete/scrapped function.

Perhaps one day they will revisit the design and extend the insta-swap with training mounts to when we swap between our own mounts. One can hope.

Maybe you can hop straight onto a training mount from the mount you arrived on, but it would be less likely that you brought several mounts with you. At least you don't have to go back and visit some kind of stable to change mount :open_mouth:Personally, I'd rather we could name our mounts. I'm ridiculously in love with my Raptor lol (not so much Springer, and don't have others yet. Got PoF about a week before Halloween, so that'll be a post-Halloween project):)

Archived