Ranked matchmaking is great

TheQuickFox.3826

The ranked matchmaking system is great. This is my honest opinion as a silver-3 to gold-2 skilled player. I know there is a lot of b*tching about the matchmaking system and that many ranked games are unbalanced. This is true. Why do I think the matchmaking is still great I hear you ask? Because it evens everything out in the long run. It strives to a 50/50 win/loss ratio and it is quite successful at doing so. And because every win requires another team to lose, a 50/50 ratio IS the optimum to keep everyone playing.

It is all about your player skill rating. The placement matches give a rough estimate of this.If you keep winning, your rating was most likely too low so you gain in rating and also in the difficulty of your matches. In this way, you can see every win as an extra credit to future losses.If you keep losing, your rating was most likely too high so you lower in rating and also in the difficulty of your matches. In this way, you can see every loss as an extra credit to future wins.

Yes, this is always being adjusted for all team members and you are only 1/5th of the team, but in the long run these numbers work out surprisingly well.Yes, there are winning- and losing streaks. I've had them. I think 15 losses in a row was the most and it is absolutely devastating to my morale. But surprise surprise, it was immediately followed by a long winning streak. Yes, there are absolutely terrible matches. But overall I think the ranked matchmaking system is doing a nice job.

I see one major improvement tho. And that is that the player skill rating should be kept and applied per profession. For example: I always play Elementalist and I am silver-3 to gold-2 there. But when I would switch to anything else, I would be an absolute newbie and belong to the underside of the bronze ratings. But the game does not take that in consideration now, and I think it should.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:I see one major improvement tho. And that is that the player skill rating should be kept and applied per profession. For example: I always play Elementalist and I am silver-3 to gold-2 there. But when I would switch to anything else, I would be an absolute newbie and belong to the underside of the bronze ratings. But the game does not take that in consideration now, and I think it should.

They did a poll on implementing a system like that a long time ago, but it required locking profession swapping once you enter the queue (otherwise it could easily be exploited). In the end it was voted against.

Did arenanet pay you to write something positive in the forum. I always make PvP more points loss than that I rise and I have just over 100 points with a good 30 games. Mostly I lose about 10 games and then I win one. Then I lose again about 10 games. What actually happens when the points fall to 0. Do they also go into the minus range?

@"Foxy.5319" said:Did arenanet pay you to write something positive in the forum. I always make PvP more points loss than that I rise and I have just over 100 points with a good 30 games. Mostly I lose about 10 games and then I win one. Then I lose again about 10 games. What actually happens when the points fall to 0. Do they also go into the minus range?

I don't work for ArenaNet nor get paid by them. And if you dig in my history you will find enough criticism to see that I'm not just another fanboy. For example, how ArenaNet seems to have abandoned their own cheat preventing game design.

But still, I'm in absolute love with this game, even with the issues that exist and the problems that have been ignored for too long. GW2 still is a masterpiece.And back to the matchmaking for ranked: I honestly think it is doing quite a nice job actually.

Silver 3 to gold 2, that explains a lot, you actually in the most populated rating, unless you playing in extremely low pop timesOnce you manage to stay over 1350 you'll start to being matched with top 50 players a lot more then you want to.

Then your matches start being rng based, you're in their team you win you're not you lose, it will be like that 80% of your matches