How are new players suppose to get into PvP

Barquiel.5610

So I just came back from a 4 year break. Decided to jump into PvP and I have to say it has been very unenjoyable.From what I can tell the pvp community wants more people to play this mode. However, anyone new to the mode gets slammed with insults during every single game from both sides of the match. I don't know about you but insulting people isn't exactly how you get people to play the mode you desperately say you want more people to play. In the last week I feel like I've been insulted less in LoL than in a GW2 PVP match.

Then there's the match making. If you go into unranked you are met with fully stacked teams that just 1 shot you over and over again. If you go into ranked it seems better in terms of matching players (I'm silver btw). But even there you are met with such venom it's honestly not enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong. I've watched build video's and practice combos on golems. I've seen video's on how to rotate and what each role does and how do it. However, just cause you watch a video doesn't make you awesome at the task. That takes time and practice. But then every time you try to practice you are met with just insults and BM.

So I'm curious how exactly are newer players suppose to get into pvp, when again the only thing waiting for the newer players is pure venom?

It makes me very sad that people are so toxic. :disappointed: Yes, one could argue that that is just part of any competitive scene online, but that does not make it any better.

First, I do think ranked is better in terms of fair and competitive matches, you should be right there.

However, it make one of my suggestions impossible: Play with some friends. Then you can laugh it off when some toxic child throws around some insults, usually just covering own mistakes. Works only in unranked with more than 2 though.Second suggestion is to disable chat. Can be problematic because some players actually try to help and give good advices, but as long as Anet doesn't promote helpful behavior but implements wining poses over dead bodies as the final screen of the game, you can't really expect much respect to come from the playerbase...

I know it’s hard to do, but just ignore the team chat when people are like that. It happens so often. I’ve carried teams w one of my mates and still have people be toxic because we didn’t win the way THEY wanted to win (they wanted to play whack a mole instead of ever defending a point). It’s an unfortunate part of the game rn with the low population.

Hey, welcome back! Sorry that was your experience thus far. It's for sure not the prettiest in pvp, but I'd imagine everyone should be happy for new players regardless of skill level.

I can't present any fixes to your solution, but my advice would be to ignore the haters and just keep improving your game. At the end of the day, the only variable you can control is yourself so focus on that. You're already taking the right steps, learning different classes and rotations, so it'll only be a matter of time.

Keep doing you, don't let them get to you!

If you need some pals for pvp, feel free to hmu in game, always happy to queue up with anyone ?

I really don't understand why the matchmaker is still set up to allow silvers in the same matchups as plats. And also why the 'default' rating for new players is apparently gold.

NOBODY benefits from this setup. Silvers getting 1-shot and raged at, Plats getting infuriated that despite holding a node 1v3 their team still can't achieve anything.

If narrowing the matchmaker window makes queues 12 minutes instead of 2 minutes, so be it. I'd rather have 1-2 good games per hour, than have 4-5 pointless wipeouts.

Yea, I guess the only option is to just turn off chat. Which is sad cause I mean it should be used to call out numbers heading to "x" node. Instead it seems to only be used to insult a players.

And I totally agree I'd rather wait 10 to 15 minutes for a match that is even so I could learn. Than get matched up in 2 minutes only to be farmed over and over again. I mean its honestly not fun to be on either team that just 500 to 100. And I'd happily wait the 10 to 15 minutes cause I could just farm materials or do map completion at the same time.

@Ragnar.4257 said:I really don't understand why the matchmaker is still set up to allow silvers in the same matchups as plats. And also why the 'default' rating for new players is apparently gold.

NOBODY benefits from this setup. Silvers getting 1-shot and raged at, Plats getting infuriated that despite holding a node 1v3 their team still can't achieve anything.

If narrowing the matchmaker window makes queues 12 minutes instead of 2 minutes, so be it. I'd rather have 1-2 good games per hour, than have 4-5 pointless wipeouts.

This!

At one point someone thought it was a good idea to match up people based on the average rank of the teams not individual ranks. This resulted in the kitten fest known as the current matching system.

@Filip.7463 said:Its simple: PVP LVL 20 ISNT ENOUGH FOR RANKED

Yes, new people should have to get farmed in unranked by 5 man premades and people with way more playtime/ranking than them a lot more before going into Ranked. Why should they be allowed to play ranked which actually has matchamking (even though its not really great) instead of having to play without it in unranked?What a great solution which absolutely fixes the problem!

@"Barquiel.5610" said:However, just cause you watch a video doesn't make you awesome at the task. That takes time and practice. But then every time you try to practice you are met with just insults and BM.

So I'm curious how exactly are newer players suppose to get into pvp, when again the only thing waiting for the newer players is pure venom?

Thats the main difficulty, getting "good" at gw2 pvp requires a lot of time spent acquiring game knowledge. Veterans have 1000s of games played and have more or less fought every kind of build possible, so they know what to watch out for. The only thing you can do to try and speed up the process is find someone or a guild to play with who can explain builds to you and point out things that you need to improve on. As for the toxicity and impatience, that is just the sad reality of being a new player in an older game. Best thing to do then is just turn off map/say chat for the rest of that game.

Well I'm very thankful that the responses to this thread haven't been toxic. As for my PvP level I'm level 37 but again I took 4 years off from the game.I have taken the advice of just flipping my chat to just combat text. It has def been more enjoyable since I can at least focus on my gameplay and not have worry about getting tilted by the /lol, DM's, or the Venom.I'm still facing 3 stacked teams or more over and over again. So I don't how much you can learn from just not engaging in fights and decapping.Also, kind of wish the match maker would match these stacked team to other stacked teams.I honestly don't know which manager at the top of Anet that wants ques to be under 3 min's but again I'm pretty most if not all players would rather wait longer to have a decent match.

@Barquiel.5610 said:I'm still facing 3 stacked teams or more over and over again. So I don't how much you can learn from just not engaging in fights and decapping.

You can still learn a lot if your team is getting stomped. Practice reading the mini map, try to keep track of enemy positions so you arent surprised when they rotate to outnumber you, practice kiting, watch your teams respawns to see if you are getting staggered or just getting outplayed, and so on.

The problem is Solo Queue. People think this toxicity exists only in sPvP, but it is actually present in Fractals, Raids, and other instanced PvE content as well. The big difference is, in the PvE game modes we have more control over who we group with. If someone is being a toxic jerk, we can kick him. We can also just block that player and choose to never play in a group with them again. We can also specify exactly what kind of group we are and what we are looking for in the LFG. This is why toxicity is less rampant in PvE game modes, because the environment doesn't support it.

In sPvP however, you are forced to play with whatever teammates Anet assigns you, even if they are known trolls that you have blocked. This is the type of environment that these toxic players flourish in. In PvE, these toxic players find it harder and harder to get into groups as more players avoid grouping with them. In sPvP though, there are no consequences for their actions. They can be as toxic as possible, and they know that no matter what they do, they can just queue up for another match and be forced onto someone else's team.

Now of course some people will say that it is just unfair for players to team up in PvP, they can't find a team, there aren't enough players, whatever. Solo Queue is not the solution to any of these problems though. As for fairness, this is a multiplayer game, that is the main selling point of MMO games. I find it absolutely insane that I cannot play with a team of my friends in an MMO. Also, you can find a group, you choose not to. Anet finds a group for you no problem every time you queue. We have a great LFG tool just for finding groups. Even with the most difficult content to find groups for, such as raids, players take it a step further and form Discord communities.

As for the lack of players currently in sPvP (geez I wonder why), the solution still isn't Solo Queue. If you do not have enough players for everyone to make their own teams and play against other teams of equal skill, then how does allowing Anet to make the teams solve anything? If there are a lack of players, then there needs to be different game modes with smaller teams or better incentives/improvements to the game mode to build the player base. But just saying "Screw it, swap to Solo/Duo Queue and put everyone in these crazy messed up toxic teams" is the wrong answer.

And I just know there is going to be that one person that comes in here talking about how we have Tournaments, yes, we do. And you know what? Tournaments are some of the most fun I have had in sPvP. Hell I remember one night we went in just to get the gold, and actually won the entire Tournament. Shit was exciting as hell. Unfortunately, those Tournaments are only every 6 hours and, depending on your team's skill level, you may only play a couple of matches. Tournaments also don't award Ascended Shards of Glory. So go ahead and get out of here with that weak argument.

@Xentera.4560 said:

@"Ragnar.4257" said:I really don't understand why the matchmaker is still set up to allow silvers in the same matchups as plats. And also why the 'default' rating for new players is apparently gold.

This!

At one point someone thought it was a good idea to match up people based on the average rank of the teams not individual ranks. This resulted in the kitten fest known as the current matching system.

It wasn't someone...it was the crying community few years back, before we had the "per individual rank" matchmaking and things were working, vet would play alongside other vets and so on...ofc the lowby players unable to win on their own started to cry on the forum....they cried so much that after season 3 , the matchmaking was changed into this "average rank kitten" so that vets get "to carry" those undeserving of their rank and who think to be better than what they're really are

@"Shaogin.2679" said:The problem is Solo Queue. People think this toxicity exists only in sPvP, but it is actually present in Fractals, Raids, and other instanced PvE content as well. The big difference is, in the PvE game modes we have more control over who we group with. If someone is being a toxic jerk, we can kick him. We can also just block that player and choose to never play in a group with them again. We can also specify exactly what kind of group we are and what we are looking for in the LFG. This is why toxicity is less rampant in PvE game modes, because the environment doesn't support it.

In sPvP however, you are forced to play with whatever teammates Anet assigns you, even if they are known trolls that you have blocked. This is the type of environment that these toxic players flourish in. In PvE, these toxic players find it harder and harder to get into groups as more players avoid grouping with them. In sPvP though, there are no consequences for their actions. They can be as toxic as possible, and they know that no matter what they do, they can just queue up for another match and be forced onto someone else's team.

Now of course some people will say that it is just unfair for players to team up in PvP, they can't find a team, there aren't enough players, whatever. Solo Queue is not the solution to any of these problems though. As for fairness, this is a multiplayer game, that is the main selling point of MMO games. I find it absolutely insane that I cannot play with a team of my friends in an MMO. Also, you can find a group, you choose not to. Anet finds a group for you no problem every time you queue. We have a great LFG tool just for finding groups. Even with the most difficult content to find groups for, such as raids, players take it a step further and form Discord communities.

As for the lack of players currently in sPvP (geez I wonder why), the solution still isn't Solo Queue. If you do not have enough players for everyone to make their own teams and play against other teams of equal skill, then how does allowing Anet to make the teams solve anything? If there are a lack of players, then there needs to be different game modes with smaller teams or better incentives/improvements to the game mode to build the player base. But just saying "Screw it, swap to Solo/Duo Queue and put everyone in these crazy messed up toxic teams" is the wrong answer.

And I just know there is going to be that one person that comes in here talking about how we have Tournaments, yes, we do. And you know what? Tournaments are some of the most fun I have had in sPvP. Hell I remember one night we went in just to get the gold, and actually won the entire Tournament. kitten was exciting as hell. Unfortunately, those Tournaments are only every 6 hours and, depending on your team's skill level, you may only play a couple of matches. Tournaments also don't award Ascended Shards of Glory. So go ahead and get out of here with that weak argument.

It is no less toxic in unranked. :wink:

@"Barquiel.5610" said:So I just came back from a 4 year break. Decided to jump into PvP and I have to say it has been very unenjoyable.From what I can tell the pvp community wants more people to play this mode. However, anyone new to the mode gets slammed with insults during every single game from both sides of the match. I don't know about you but insulting people isn't exactly how you get people to play the mode you desperately say you want more people to play. In the last week I feel like I've been insulted less in LoL than in a GW2 PVP match.

Then there's the match making. If you go into unranked you are met with fully stacked teams that just 1 shot you over and over again. If you go into ranked it seems better in terms of matching players (I'm silver btw). But even there you are met with such venom it's honestly not enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong. I've watched build video's and practice combos on golems. I've seen video's on how to rotate and what each role does and how do it. However, just cause you watch a video doesn't make you awesome at the task. That takes time and practice. But then every time you try to practice you are met with just insults and BM.

All I am seeing from new players is a complete lack of the most basic concept of online PvP :

-Peeling for your allies-Ressing your teammates-Stomping the enemy

All this doesn't require years, months..not even weeks to understand, it's common sense that still new player fail to display, it doesn't matter how many "combos" you learn if you fail at the most basic factions which makes the whole "carrying" a virtual impossible task and that frustrate those who were able to master such simple concepts.

I sincerely doubt anybody with a shred of inteligence would "insult" you if you show a good grasp of PvP

hi join these 2 discords:welcome to pvp: https://discord.gg/PMn4RkK and inhouse leagues eu: https://discord.gg/6n7ArYhYjFwe do and plan even more events (inhouses, 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 tourneys and coaching, teamcoaching etc) for all skill lvl (beginner to veterans/ experts), you will always find help here. dunno how far the plans for inhouses + coaching on na are but there are plans for na. and for the welcome to pvp discord region doesnt matter anyway

There are two forms of toxicity with different origins.

• The cheaper a game is the more toxicity is prevalent, because more younger people and adults with anger management issues (these tend do have a small social circle outside of the internet - so naturally you have to deal with them in videogames) can get into it. When games had monthly fees the communities tended to be less toxic - with one exception (won't name it here) as this certain game put all the kids with money in one place.
  • Toxicity as a result of bad balancing or unfun game mechanics. This form of toxicity is targeted to the players abusing balancing and game design issues for effortless wins (of course they reflect such a win as skill based).

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@"Shaogin.2679" said:The problem is Solo Queue. People think this toxicity exists only in sPvP, but it is actually present in Fractals, Raids, and other instanced PvE content as well. The big difference is, in the PvE game modes we have more control over who we group with. If someone is being a toxic jerk, we can kick him. We can also just block that player and
choose
to never play in a group with them again. We can also specify
exactly
what kind of group we are and what we are looking for in the LFG. This is why toxicity is less rampant in PvE game modes, because the environment doesn't support it.

In sPvP however, you are
forced
to play with whatever teammates Anet assigns you, even if they are known trolls that you have blocked. This is the type of environment that these toxic players flourish in. In PvE, these toxic players find it harder and harder to get into groups as more players avoid grouping with them. In sPvP though, there are no consequences for their actions. They can be as toxic as possible, and they know that no matter what they do, they can just queue up for another match and be forced onto someone else's team.

Now of course some people will say that it is just unfair for players to team up in PvP, they can't find a team, there aren't enough players, whatever. Solo Queue is not the solution to any of these problems though. As for fairness, this is a multiplayer game, that is the main selling point of MMO games. I find it absolutely insane that I cannot play with a team of my friends in an MMO. Also, you
can
find a group, you
choose
not to. Anet finds a group for you no problem every time you queue. We have a great LFG tool just for finding groups. Even with the most difficult content to find groups for, such as raids, players take it a step further and form Discord communities.

And I just know there is going to be that one person that comes in here talking about how we have Tournaments, yes, we do. And you know what? Tournaments are some of the most fun I have had in sPvP. Hell I remember one night we went in just to get the gold, and actually won the entire Tournament. kitten was exciting as hell. Unfortunately, those Tournaments are only every 6 hours and, depending on your team's skill level, you may only play a couple of matches. Tournaments also don't award Ascended Shards of Glory. So go ahead and get out of here with that weak argument.

It is no less toxic in unranked. :wink:

Unranked has no matchmaking and also allows you to solo queue with randoms. Are you saying you queue with a team of friends and rage at them?

@"Arheundel.6451" said:All I am seeing from new players is a complete lack of the most basic concept of online PvP :

-Peeling for your allies-Ressing your teammates-Stomping the enemy

All this doesn't require years, months..not even weeks to understand, it's common sense that still new player fail to display, it doesn't matter how many "combos" you learn if you fail at the most basic factions which makes the whole "carrying" a virtual impossible task and that frustrate those who were able to master such simple concepts.

I sincerely doubt anybody with a shred of inteligence would "insult" you if you show a good grasp of PvP

I can't speak for others, I can only speak for my self. As some on who mostly solo roams in WvW I understand how to stomp, res, and peel.I also don't go into 1v4's or 1v3's if I know I can just wait for rez's or go to home/far instead for a 1v1 or a free node all together.

But trying to Peel, Res, or Stomp vs a Full Stack team using coms and focus target. Yep totally easy to do before you get 1 shotted.

As for the doubting that people don't insult others. Every single match where you lose the first team fight you either get a all caps screamer, or a auto log off. So yea unranked def a fun play to be and totally a great place to learn.