Housing in next expac or dead issue?

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:I still don't know what "housing" will give us that the current "Guild Halls" and "Home Instances" don't have.

Maybe I'm just missing the point.

i think the argument is that they don't feel personal in general. guild halls are too huge for a 1 person "house/home"... and you don't really have a "home" specifically marked as yours and no object/decoration customisation of any kind (apart from nodes, cats, etc.) in the home instance

they can partially solve the housing issue by making it so you can use guild decorations at your home instance (the rest is up to imagination and RP-ing), but if they were going to do that, i'd rather they just give us a proper housing ward or apartment to use

It's certainly possible, and it's one of the more conspicuous features that the game doesn't have yet, but at this point the only things we know conclusively about EoD are 'Cantha', and 'Concluding the dragon storyline'. Everything else is guesswork/wishlisting.

@"Solanum.6983" said:I'm surprised they haven't done it already to be honest, Furniture could generate a lot of money in the gemstore as well as add in some interesting drops in game. All the tech is there with guild halls.

yeah all the tech is there, they just need to create a small instance that you can use decorations on: like as small as that small bar instance they used in season1 if it was for example, a studio type apartment. significantly less dev resources to create compared to another gigantic guild hall (assuming the argument, just use guild halls as a house)

the dead end barhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Dead_End

They'd need a decoration system significantly different from guild halls to make personal housing satisfying. Between ESO and Valheim, I'm spoiled by free mix and match of items and robust individual design choice. I've wanted housing in GW2 for many years, and contributed to many threads on it, but at this point I have little confidence that the game's software will allow nearly enough flexibility to make homes truly individual (plus I doubt they'd do like ESO and let an account have many different abodes so each alt can set up a domicile suiting that alt's personality).

I'll be happy if they do develop something good, but I don't expect it's going to happen. What will be, will be.

@"Solanum.6983" said:I'm surprised they haven't done it already to be honest, Furniture could generate a lot of money in the gemstore as well as add in some interesting drops in game. All the tech is there with guild halls.Do you really think the people who pay for gemstore shinies will care about something that cannot be flexed in OW?I promise you that even the Pepegasus and that messed up mouse springer are more relevant to the gemstore warriors than a couch you have to go into their house to see.This talk about "all the money Anet could make with Player Housing" is never anything but rhetoric by the small group of people who want the feature.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Solanum.6983" said:I'm surprised they haven't done it already to be honest, Furniture could generate a lot of money in the gemstore as well as add in some interesting drops in game. All the tech is there with guild halls.Do you really think the people who pay for gemstore shinies will care about something that cannot be flexed in OW?I promise you that even the Pepegasus and that messed up mouse springer are more relevant to the gemstore warriors than a couch you have to go into their house to see.This talk about "all the money Anet could make with Player Housing" is never anything but rhetoric by the small group of people who want the feature.

I used to think this way ... but out of the box thinking suggests Anet doesn't necessarily need to prevent furniture from being placed in OW. Sure, it would look pretty dumb to have a table in the middle of the desert ... but there isn't a game mechanics reason it couldn't be done.

Personally, I agree with you. I don't think housing-specific items are going to be the big sell in the GS that everyone thinks it would be, EVEN if people could litter OW with their trashy furniture.

I played SWTOR during the release of their housing system. Overall the systems they employed were both awesome and terrible. I liked the vast range of items they added to the game for placing in housing and that they released several very different houses to build in (and that you could own 3 at a time).

I didn’t like that they tied some bonus to your account of having a ‘fully decorated’ home. It meant you jammed as much as you could in and all aesthetics went out the window.

SWTOR has housing decorations in the cash shop that do sell to augment the I game items they can be found. No one ever complained about these and many people were happy to buy them.

Overall I would engage with a housing system but wouldn’t spend any real money to decorate it. I would dislike it if it was anything more than optional.

@Obtena.7952 said:

I used to think this way ... but out of the box thinking suggests Anet doesn't necessarily need to prevent furniture from being placed in OW. Sure, it would look pretty dumb to have a table in the middle of the desert ... but there isn't a game mechanics reason it couldn't be done.

The way the developers had to curtail the use of banners after players placed so many of them that it caused severe performance issues at both the client and server levels says otherwise.

Could someone explain to me what would be fun about housing?

It would almost certainly be instanced to give everyone a chance to have a house and, like we have seen with guild hall, no one would come to visit them...

If it's not instanced, there will be limited spots. Which means, it will be a feature ONLY for the 100 wealthiest or luckiest players...

@Gudradain.3892 said:Could someone explain to me what would be fun about housing?

It would almost certainly be instanced to give everyone a chance to have a house and, like we have seen with guild hall, no one would come to visit them...

If it's not instanced, there will be limited spots. Which means, it will be a feature ONLY for the 100 wealthiest or luckiest players...

Even if it's instanced, there could be artificially limited slots.FF14 has its housing slots artificially limited as well, despite being instanced.

Housing should not be just something pretty that you can put crap in and decorate. It should enhance other features in GW2 and be an actual play game "mode" in some way. Two things come to my mind.

First, it could be huge boost to the sorry Loot-system in this game, where no Loot is truly exiting since all loot basically only represents a Gold-value, some AP or a title, except maybe the silly Infusions(also a Gold value mostly to many people). The Powercap is the reason for this, so anything beyond Ascended and level 80 has to be in the "shiny, showy and flashy" department(I'm Rich you know). Thousands upon thousands of Housing items, recipes and mats can be added to bosses, mobs, collections and quests in both sellable and accountbound form, from common to ultra rare. And the Powercap never is in danger. If Triple Trouble had a small chance of dropping some cool account-bound recipe for a dresser, I might actually do that content again. Right now, most people stop doing that sort of content once they have the Mastery points from it. Also, a nice stuffed Wurm-head on my walls would be cool. Let the Raiders have their own Trophies to show on the wall I am fine with that.

Secondly, with solid Housing, people can actually become creative and bring shiny, showy and flashy to whole new levels, also for others to see. For instance, make it so that people can create entire Jumpingpuzzles in their instanced houses, for others to visit. I am sure we would see the most amazing stuff.

To be honest, I think Anet is actually the company that could pull of such Housing (that is an extra game in a game), just like they did the best Mount system in my opinion. But it could be too great an endeavour.

As also posted in another tread:

Entirely new rewards would be nice, like more rewards for achievement points, a Hall of Monuments with many collectibles and true player housing that can be entirely customized and upgraded with things you can earn in game.

I know the Hall of Monuments in Eye of the North kept me playing for years and finally obtaining the "God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals" title has been my proudest and most memorable moment in my personal gaming career.

Imagine a personal home that you can fully decorate, with furniture that you can earn in game or trade with other players. A personal museum in which you can display all your glory, weapons, armor, special collectibles, titles and achievements, a garden with stables where your mounts, pets and minis wander around and where you can harvest the nodes that now exist in your home instance. And ANet could even earn some money with it, like selling exclusive locations for your account housing in the gem store or an extra housing storage stash where you can store unused furniture and decorations. When ArenaNet does the monetization right, it does not degrade the feeling of achievement.

If they somehow manage to make housing an integral part of the game like they did with the mounts I'd welcome it, but I lack the imagination for how that could work. Since skins and items can be stored in the bank / wardrobe I don't see how housing could have any depth to it except in terms of a personalized home, which for me wouldnt be enough to justify it. Apart from that I can only say that we don't know. There has been a part of the community asking for it, but there has never been a specific statement on that issue as far as I know.