Don't like the POF expansion area's very much.

For me this new area that come with the expansion 'Path of fire' suffer from problems.1 - Trash mobs are to spread out, meaning you can't walk 2 steps without falling over a killer worm or something.2 - Things detect you from really far away and are stitched together, pull one, pull ten.3 - The thing I dislike the most is that the majority of the creatures have missile launchers of one sort or another and spam you with them to a ridiculous degree.4 - I see that they have stooped even lower with some of the Sothern map by spawning mobs out of thin air at your location.

In general the reviews seemed good for POF. Personally I was expecting something better.I am really hoping they go for the more traditional maps with the new expansion.

I love the hot style so I hope for more of that. Especially since Kaineng City seems prime for that

I’m confused about thinking PoF is maze like. It’s got some aggro range issues, but it’s been designed to almost entirely in-maze like and more like core maps, whilst trying to spice up some of the original geography in gw1

Hopefully EOD will bring the best of all worlds and give something for everyone

I have nothing against desert or jungle areas it's just I don't think HOT nor POF were designed with a mmo play style in mind. More like something you might expect from a single player exploration game. And you can tell as you move from one area to another. Old maps populated to sometimes crowded, new areas I see very few people, sometimes I feel as if I'm the only one logged on when playing on them. :)

If a creature has the ability to fire grenades for petes sake make it once with a cool down, this spamming the entire area with grenades is terrible.

HoT was designed with the "gimmicks" in mind, the mushrooms/glide;

Aggro range in Pof is really a issue.

i returned to PoF when doing skycale and some old achievments, is a pain, and i have all mounts unlocked!

the players doesnt have a "adventure" feeling there, but feel like a "ping pong" between mobs.

Well for many players gw2 is a singleplayer summ.

I personally hope that with the new expansion the maps will be as fun as the hot ones. Sure TD were unusual at the beginning and I have often cursed it, but eventually you get the hang of it and if not ask others because as you say, gw2 is not a single player.And to the rest, to pof and the aggro there are already very many threads. I just don't play it anymore.Anet will know what they do as the people in the forum would say: Anet knows everything and does everything for good reasons ... blahblah

@Joote.4081 said:I have nothing against desert or jungle areas it's just I don't think HOT nor POF were designed with a mmo play style in mind. More like something you might expect from a single player exploration game.

That I fully disagree with. HoT is entirely designed around multiplay far more than solo play with group events, group hero points, stringer mobs etc. Dragons Stand alone is clearly not a solo map. It is very mmo

HoT is still pretty well populated for that very reason whilst PoF is a lot sparser because it is more solo orientated - or less geared to repeatable content

Ultimately the reductions in population are due to the spread of people to a lot of game areas and a focus on newer content.

But baffled by the Grenade launcher issue - not heard that complaint before. Can you elaborate?

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:HoT was designed with the "gimmicks" in mind, the mushrooms/glide;

i returned to PoF when doing skycale and some old achievments, is a pain, and i have all mounts unlocked!

the players doesnt have a "adventure" feeling there, but feel like a "ping pong" between mobs.

Exactly. One of the great joys of mmo's is exploration and the feeling of adventure. This seems to have been stripped from the new expansions.

I like the times when I have to hack and clear my way to a target. This becomes pretty much redundant when creatures respawn the moment you kill them.

@"Joote.4081" said:For me the 2 new area's that come with the expansions, Heart of thorns and Path of fire both suffer from the same problems.1 - To maze like, so everything is stop and start.

That really only goes for Tangled Depths, all other maps are fine once you've leveled the masteries. With mounts these days it's even a piece of cake to explore.

So, while I agree that the contrast between core Tyrian and HoT maps is stark, it only poses an annoyance as long as your movement options are limited to walking and basic gliding (it was indeed bad design to make those maps rather inaccessible as long as you didn't have the required masteries).

After all, exploration is the main attraction of adventuring through new territory, so making future maps "flat and boring" is not a desireable approach in my eyes.

2 - Trash mobs are to spread out, meaning you can't walk 2 steps without falling over a killer worm or something.3 - Things detect you from really far away and are stitched together, pull one, pull ten.

Yes, the detection radius is truly excessive, I agree. Good thing we got a new mount mastery last year that allows us to stealth through those mobs now. :)

I understand now why these areas are usually empty with most players on the old maps.

They are not. Check LFG. HoT meta trains are still a daily thing. PoF, on the other hand, while having well designed maps and truly interesting story content, doesn't have very appealing map meta events - still, there are frequent runs to be found in LFG for those as well.

I am really hoping they go for the more traditional maps with the new expansion.

I sure hope they won't! The city and sewer areas of Kaineng were amazing mazes and so much fun to explore. <3 I hope we will get to revisit those, and all the other amazing places of Cantha.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Joote.4081 said:I have nothing against desert or jungle areas it's just I don't think HOT nor POF were designed with a mmo play style in mind. More like something you might expect from a single player exploration game.

That I fully disagree with. HoT is entirely designed around multiplay far more than solo play with group events, group hero points, stringer mobs etc. Dragons Stand alone is clearly not a solo map. It is very mmo

HoT is still pretty well populated for that very reason whilst PoF is a lot sparser because it is more solo orientated - or less geared to repeatable content

Ultimately the reductions in population are due to the spread of people to a lot of game areas and a focus on newer content.

But baffled by the Grenade launcher issue - not heard that complaint before. Can you elaborate?

More creatures then ever can spit, gob out and hurl stuff at you. So I dodge right into another telegraph, dodge again right into another one, knock down, and so it goes on. I don't know about you but I find this sort of thing boring. And like I said, by this time it's brought all it's family and friends to join in with the lobbing stuff.

@"Joote.4081" said:For me the 2 new area's that come with the expansions, Heart of thorns and Path of fire both suffer from the same problems.1 - To maze like, so everything is stop and start.2 - Trash mobs are to spread out, meaning you can't walk 2 steps without falling over a killer worm or something.3 - Things detect you from really far away and are stitched together, pull one, pull ten.4 - The thing I dislike the most is that the majority of the creatures have grenade launchers. Who thought that would be fun? It started with Heart of thorns with those bloody annoying vines spamming grenades on you continuously.

I understand now why these areas are usually empty with most players on the old maps. The new areas are simply un-fun. In general the reviews seemed good for POF, but what I think they were really trying to say was that it was a bit better than HOT. Personally I was expecting something better.I am really hoping they go for the more traditional maps with the new expansion.

People play hot and pof maps all the time to do the meta events. However its old content that most people have finished, so thats why you dont see as many people outside those times. The difficulty is meant to be much greater than the core 1-80 game (which is honestly pretty trivial, even for casual players). In the core game, you can pick traits and weapons/skills at random and do perfectly fine, but that isnt the way the game is meant to be played in newer max level content. Classes have tools to deal with the challenges thrown at them. Dont like constantly aggroing things? Use stealth or mobility skills to get out of combat. Dont like getting cced? Use more stability and stun breaks. Dont like projectiles? Use refects. People are entitled to their opinions, but calling the game "un-fun" is a bit of a stretch. I personally love the complex maps like tangled depths and verdant brink.

You will get used to it. In HoT the areas look really beautiful and have some nice metas and map design. (I liked the base-upgrading events in Verdant Brink and Tangled Depths.) Yeah the mobs hit hard especially in HoT. And without mounts (playing as intended back then) it is pretty hard. But will feel easier when playing it with mounts.

PoF maps are bigger and have a different philosophy. Personally I did not like Desolation and Vabbi cause they imo looked uglier and the branded area in the east was super annoying. (Will now that I have Skyscale probably be easier when revisiting this.)

Actually nothing is "empty" there. HoT has lots of players gathering for he meta events. Same actually as PoF. (Which overall might be a bit emptier and needing the dailies there as well ... to get the boring bounty achievements done.)

Tangled Depths inst really a maze once u get the map "logic", is just all about the 4 lanes and the ley line waypont on center, each lanes are divided in 2 areas, one dedicated to the lane related events, and the other area dedicated to the meta. All lanes converge to this ley line "waypoint" on center.

Heart of Thorns is meant to be oppressive and maze like. It is a jungle. A jungle that is in fact alive and would rather have you dead, or out. In that sense, I find the hostility particularly spot on. Even Tangled Depths which is to date the map I hate the most because the minimap is unreadeable, is done well with this in mind. It is a slow progress through it because it is meant to.

Path of Fire map are on the other hand meant to be vast expenses that you can traverse with a mount and mostly explore everything (that is the case), you will simply not have access to Everything right off the bat, which is fair, it is on the other hand not at all Maze like. I will on the other hand grant you this : Long range enemies are excessively aggressive and can shoot you off the mount very quickly.

On the other hand, by the time you reach that point of the game, you're meant to be atleast relatively aware of your surroundings, and quick enough of reflexes to get out of sticky situations. Are you sure you haven't hit the expansions sooner than intended ?

Edit : After re-reading, I appear to have 4 hands.

@Joote.4081 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:HoT was designed with the "gimmicks" in mind, the mushrooms/glide;

Exactly. One of the great joys of mmo's is exploration and the feeling of adventure. This seems to have been stripped from the new expansions.

I like the times when I have to hack and clear my way to a target. This becomes pretty much redundant when creatures respawn the moment you kill them.

It sounds like the difficulty is just too much for you. As exploration maps go I can't see how anyone who says they enjoy "exploration" does not absolutely love HoT.

This may not be a permanent issue for you. The right build and strategy can make the impossible totally manageable. But that also depends on the player.

As for HoT maps being dead I'd say you are just new and don't understand the event flow yet. HoT is consistently active and always has been.

Those maps are far from dead. Suggest to look in LFG for metas, there are frequent hero point trains, etc. This would help if you're struggling with mobs and having difficulty navigating.

As before mentioned, they are designed to give those areas a certain feel. They are quite successful at it. Mobs respawn quickly so all players have the opportunity to kill them, and no one waits around long tapping their feet during an event. Keeps the pace fast, and it can be overwhelming at first.

Perhaps check out your build, might need some tweaking. HoT is less forgiving than core Tyria when you first walk in, might need to adjust some play style. Both expansions are really fun, they do take a little effort at times, not just faceroll.

Path of fire is okay. it's the same as most other normal maps.

The only enemy that really bugs me are the laser archers in HoT.

But HoT maps are the best in the game. One step over any other. The only one that lacks to me is Dragon Stand, which is perfect for it's meta but regular play I find it too artificial. But the others giver a wonderful sense of exploration, awe and atmosphere I've never really felt in any MMO.

@Farohna.6247 said:Those maps are far from dead. Suggest to look in LFG for metas, there are frequent hero point trains, etc. This would help if you're struggling with mobs and having difficulty navigating.

As before mentioned, they are designed to give those areas a certain feel. They are quite successful at it. Mobs respawn quickly so all players have the opportunity to kill them, and no one waits around long tapping their feet during an event. Keeps the pace fast, and it can be overwhelming at first.

Perhaps check out your build, might need some tweaking. HoT is less forgiving than core Tyria when you first walk in, might need to adjust some play style. Both expansions are really fun, they do take a little effort at times, not just faceroll.

I believe you but they FEEL dead when I am on them.Yeah, I try to get a good play style and for the most part it works but when you have to do the same old thing a few hundred times on sand worms or whatever they are to get ten feet you start to think about inventing a nuke to clear a path. And when you have got through that lobotomy some other creature with a grenade launcher has targeted you from the adjacent mountain, who in turn brings on another 10 creatures with grenade launchers.Mounts are great for negotiating places like HOT, but now the buggers have learned how to dismount you with................ yep you guessed it, a grenade launcher.

@Joote.4081 said:For me the 2 new area's that come with the expansions, Heart of thorns and Path of fire both suffer from the same problems.1 - To maze like, so everything is stop and start.2 - Trash mobs are to spread out, meaning you can't walk 2 steps without falling over a killer worm or something.3 - Things detect you from really far away and are stitched together, pull one, pull ten.4 - The thing I dislike the most is that the majority of the creatures have grenade launchers. Who thought that would be fun? It started with Heart of thorns with those bloody annoying vines spamming grenades on you continuously.

I understand now why these areas are usually empty with most players on the old maps. The new areas are simply un-fun. In general the reviews seemed good for POF, but what I think they were really trying to say was that it was a bit better than HOT. Personally I was expecting something better.I am really hoping they go for the more traditional maps with the new expansion.

You generalize a lot in your post.

1 - There is nothing maze like in Crystal Oasis or Elon Riverlands or Auric Basin. Not all maps in the expansions are maze like.2 - There are safe spots around waypoints or in many locations. Mobs in HOT have very low health, lower than core content, so you should be able to kill them fast enough to avoid respawns. Otherwise check your build.3 - That only works in POF because mobs have longer engage distances. HOT mobs engage at the same distance as core4 - Fun part about those vines, you fight them a LOT in Season 2, Dry Top and Silverwastes, they aren't even expansion monsters.

I understand now why these areas are usually empty with most players on the old maps.

Also this gem. Other than maps with dailies and maps during world bosses, old maps don't have many players at all.

only part i hate on HoT is when i manage to get all the way up some tree/boat and it pops a champion and i know Nobody is going to randomly turn up and help... also when it says something is beneet you, but there is nothing down there as the Mastery point or hero challenge is actually about 100ft away from what map says.

just got boing mushroom and i love the shrooms

@Joote.4081 said:I believe you but they FEEL dead when I am on them.They are not dead when the metas are about to happen. It sometimes feels that way I have to admit, though, as soon as meta is done: two minutes later the annoying "low population, do you want to change map?" message pops up, and pops up again just when you've accepted - but that's another issue I guess from when they did some performance tweaks weeks ago. All in all the maps are far from dead in my experience, but players are more split out in those significantly bigger maps.@Joote.4081 said:Yeah, I try to get a good play style and for the most part it works but when you have to do the same old thing a few hundred times on sand worms or whatever they are to get ten feet you start to think about inventing a nuke to clear a path. And when you have got through that lobotomy some other creature with a grenade launcher has targeted you from the adjacent mountain, who in turn brings on another 10 creatures with grenade launchers.Mounts are great for negotiating places like HOT, but now the buggers have learned how to dismount you with................ yep you guessed it, a grenade launcher.Hmm. If you like we could do a bit of map exploration together to see what exactly bothers you. I'm not claiming to be a good player but I get along most of the time in open world content :-) Just whisper when you see me online.

Dodge more, run faster, run away if necessary, don't YOLO into mobs. Target the thing spewing annoying stuff. I personally don't like the HoT snipers either that pop out just as I have things under control lol. Try different gear stats, if you're all berserker, try marauder, for example. It gets better with time and practice.

Sometimes you get a map that's relatively empty, sometimes you get one that's very active. Wiki event timers (type /wiki et in your in-game chat if unfamiliar) to see when people might be especially active on certain maps for pending events. Also call out on map chat, sometimes there are more people out and about than there may appear. It can be nice to not have it seething with other players too, but that's a personal preference.

I only go back to them to farm now and even that isn't all that good. It looks like quite a few of you agree that the detection range is to great, this in itself poses a lot of the problems. Every time you stop or pause something slimy comes along and starts licking your neck or you see that *** red circle appear around you.With POF I think they need to remove a lot of the wandering creatures and make them more territorial. If anything it would make the map feel more real.In HOT you have creatures right next to camps which doesn't feel right. They never wander into the camp and stick to the boundary's. As for the rest of the map it's as if they have just dropped or scattered random creatures all over the place.

I am of the mind that this game is really easy including the HoT and PoF areas. Yes there is a jump in difficulty from Core to HoT and PoF but, Core has also gotten easier over the past 5 years so new players might not experience their first real challenge until the Expansion areas.

This game has been designed with all the tools a player needs to be successful in any zone. If the game is too hard then perhaps you aren’t using the tools provided to you in a way that will find you success.

I point to meme builds such as Bearbow Ranger as being very common build that rarely uses the Ranger tools to good effect. A lot of players gravitate towards this playstyle without understanding that it will potentially be harder using a sub optimal build for the content you are playing.

That doesn’t mean using a meta build is at all required, but it does mean knowing what you need from your profession when going to different parts of the game world.