Small GS rework suggestions

OriOri.8724

I haven't thought about GS as much as I thought about the changes to staff, so this list will likely be less polished.

Spatial Surge - Normalize damage at all ranges to be the same it is now at max range.Mirror Blade - Increase damage coefficient to 0.8Mind Stab - Increase coefficient to 1.4, increase CD to 14 secondsPhantasmal Berserker - Reduce cast back to 3/4 sec. It was fine that way for years, and its still fine that way nowIllusionary Wave - Reduce CD to 25 seconds

Mechanics wise, I think GS is in a good spot. Damage wise I think its a bit low. The changes to spatial surge just make it usable, mirror blade is probably fine as it is now tbh, mind stab is the big change. I think that much extra damage (increasing the damage coefficient by 40%) justifies a longer CD, but not so much as to make it useless.

I think mirror blade does enough dmg allready, its still a very solid burst skill with right setup and its unblockabel! but thats from a wvw standpoint! it could use the buff in PvEBeside that, I agree with you! in speciel the AA!in general after your staff post, I have been reminded about how bad our AA really are on all our weapons

@Amadeus.5687 I agree that mirror blade already does pretty good damage for its CD, especially since it is unblockable. However, the bounce is also not realiable for cleaving down enemies in PvE because it could bounce back to you if you are close enough. So I definitely think that in PvE it could be buffed. But you are right that it is probably fine in WvW. This is also why I didn't buff it too much (just 0.1), because I'm hesitant to make it too powerful

Other than the phantasm cast feeling a bit slow, and thinking the cast also needs more utility, most of GS is relatively fine.

I agree with any change that makes the auto attack useful at all ranges. I find it strange how this weapon is supposed to be ranged, yet is part of one of the best melee burst combos.

Regarding mind stab, I don't think it needs more damage, but I wouldn't mind it. I feel for it to be truly in line with the rest of the game it should have more neutral functionality than a random boonstrip.

I liked the early design of daze, still don't know why that was removed especially when you consider the meta of today. But if that was considered to strong 1/2 sec imob or a decent duration weakness would allow it to preassure or assist in the currently recognized combos.

@OriOri.8724

A change like that is welcome and follows theme from Sword auto.

But either way I find 1.0 + boon strip on 12 sec c/d lacking in and of itself.1.4 every 12 c/d is better. But I think the c/d doesn't justify it.

And I gotta say if giving us damage in the 2.0 range would make us OP, then I'd at least like some potent functionality if your asking for 12 seconds that has a default clunky cast.

In line with 1.4 damage suggestion and keeping it's theme, something in the ball park of:1.0 strips 2 boons1.4-5vs no boons8-10 sec c/d.

Would feel a lot better to use.

Giving it another boon strip would definitely be a good change, especially with the amount of boons that some classes pump out now. For mind stab I really want to avoid lowering the CD, because I want to avoid just more skill spam.

So let's see if this would be ok for mind stab:Strips up to 2 boons from targets

• If 2 boons stripped, 1.2 dmg modifier and 0.25sec daze
  • If 1 boon stripped, 1.4 dmg modifier and 0.5sec daze
  • If 0 boons stripped, 1.6 dmg modifier and 0.75sec daze

This gives it more boon strip, brings back the daze component that gets stronger as fewer boons are stripped, and also deals more damage for stripping fewer boons. It also provides a higher skill ceiling by giving you the option to strip their boons first via another skill before using mind stab in order to get off a stronger daze.

But considering the added daze, higher damage, and increased boon strip capabilities this skill would bring, I'd really rather increase the CD to 14 seconds. It would be a suitably strong skill for the CD at that point in my opinion. Definitely far too strong to be on a 8-10 sec CD, and just a bit too strong for 12sec base CD.

@OriOri.8724

With a 14 sec c/d that would be beautiful and pretty balanced. I really like the idea of having a scaling value for the daze based on boon strip as well.

idr if the removal of the daze was post launch or not. Stuff I worry with things like this is if will never be considered by the devs, since a-net usually doesn't strait revert past changes. (unless it's our might on shatters lol.)

Mind stab used to daze in beta, I don't know why they removed that when it has a cast time longer than headshot and an actual cooldown.

Return daze to mind stab, and increase its damage in PvE to make it our version of coalesce of ruin. 8 sec cd.

Spatial surge needs its damage normalized to the max range, the sustained DPS is awful in PvE and it would probably remain bad but not so terrible.

Honestly, Illusionary wave needs a lower cd and it should cripple or blind after hitting.

GS on Mesmer is by far my favorite weapon, I absolutely dispise the change they made with the berserker casting, it's very unsightly and clunky, it was perfect the way it was before, the way it is now it breaks your rythm.In my opinion they need to change that skill back the way it was and increase the range of the knockback on skill 5.

@Zenith.7301 said:Mind stab used to daze in beta, I don't know why they removed that when it has a cast time longer than headshot and an actual cooldown.

Return daze to mind stab, and increase its damage in PvE to make it our version of coalesce of ruin. 8 sec cd.

Spatial surge needs its damage normalized to the max range, the sustained DPS is awful in PvE and it would probably remain bad but not so terrible.

Honestly, Illusionary wave needs a lower cd and it should cripple or blind after hitting.

At this point in time, I wouldn't like to see a Daze on #3. Mesmer weapon sets usually got only 1 form of CC and GS could become a quite significant outlier in this respect. However, I think it should be added to #5. Why? Two CCs on one skill are crazy? Meh, not really. Just weird. I'd like a Daze on #5 to keep the knockback but finally get a synergy with Dazzling.

Asking for another CoR... I'd rather save myself the drama... :s

Greatsword with 2 cc's would become the go to weapon for interrupt builds, and it would force real choice between the 20% cooldown and power block too. So there is that. Further it would encourage more players to learn how to interrupt.. I see no real issue with having GS with two interrupts, but then, I have always favoured a more is better taste with Mesmer CC.

@Durzlla.6295 said:I think two interrupts on GS makes sense personally, especially because it's got a GM in Dom kinda reinforcing that it's meant to be the domination weapon, would be cool if it had a daze SOMEWHERE on the weapon to better synergise with the line.Why not add a stun/daze when your Mirror Blade hits only one target?

@Refia Montes.3205 said:

@Durzlla.6295 said:I think two interrupts on GS makes sense personally, especially because it's got a GM in Dom kinda reinforcing that it's meant to be the domination weapon, would be cool if it had a daze SOMEWHERE on the weapon to better synergise with the line.Why not add a stun/daze when your Mirror Blade hits only one target?

Mirror blade does not need any more buffs, it is allready the to go burst setup skill! Stun and dazes should in generel not go with ublockable attacks and for certain not one with such a short CD

@Amadeus.5687 said:

Mirror blade does not need any more buffs, it is allready the to go burst setup skill! Stun and dazes should in generel not go with ublockable attacks and for certain not one with such a short CD

It doesn't but... where am I supposed to put it? I mean it doesn't fit Mind Stab and Phant Zerker... plus it's pretty hard to hit Mirror Blade anyways when its cast time is too obvious.

@Refia Montes.3205 said:

@Amadeus.5687 said:

It doesn't but... where am I supposed to put it? I mean it doesn't fit Mind Stab and Phant Zerker... plus it's pretty hard to hit Mirror Blade anyways when its cast time is too obvious.

I just don't think we should put it anywhere honestly. The only thing i really think greatsword need is more sustained damage and thats only in PvE. Mirror blade can only be allowed to be such a powerfull ability on such a short CD because it have obvious tells. But as a mesmer we got the tools to set it up, we got stealth, blink and plenty of control. Also mirror blade is easy to hit with when people block, either you hit them or force them to dodge, which is a win/winThe upfront burst of a mesmer that goes to stealth and do the Start casting mirror blade --> blink right up to the enemy --> (mirror blade hit), mind stab --> Mind Whack, can still instant burst most people running marauder gear in WvW.To add in a daze (which becomes a stun in these kind of builds) or stun, would simply be to much.And again, a unblockable 8 sec CD skill, should not come with a daze/stun

Archived