Arenanet, have you tried other game modes (testing) like king of the hill and capture the flag?

Chilli.2976

1. King of the Hill would be conquest one node which means bunker fest, if the removal of Mender is effective then there could be hope of fun because camping the node would be impossible under full team pressure.
  • This makes DPS, Support relevant but Mobility is useless unless you count Thief/Mesmer Portal as assets to bring the team into the fight faster which will play on the performance of cooldown management a lot.

We also have maps to consider, for KotH they'd be somewhat suitable as the middle node be the objective, spawns be the same as conquest.

1. Capture the Flag would likely be perma stalemate unless you make it so all skills/utility are unaccessible while carrying the flag so that we don't get constant kitting and teams to posess to Flag at their base for to capture the enemy one.
  • Once again, this is the same ordeal as KotH. Mobility will mostly be useful for positioning/returning to base while DPS and support will do most of the job. All of it will have to do with communication.

While CtF maps may need to be improved on, but can be also conquest maps as is anyway, so home node is where each flag sits and where should those be captured.

Some people may think that Thieves in CtF would be able to steal flag and port back, but that's impossible as they'd be the most easily killed while unable to use anything in their arsenal, not even portals, you'd want supports to do the job with high health pool professions. Flag should also take some time to pick up so people can't just drop it, use skill then pick it back up, say the same amount of time it takes to finish off a player or so.

I can imagine that in CtF fights will happen in all sort of places which could be refreshing for the maps while under the pressure that the Flag can only be down for 30-60 seconds therefor it would be almost impossible the camp them at your own base if someone shows up for a fight, picking them up is also interruptable which makes it able to return fairly easily.

I'd be looking forward all this. Anet should get to work and perhaos have more people return with those easy to implement game mode that reuses assets.

@"Shao.7236" said:

1. Capture the Flag would likely be perma stalemate unless you make it so all skills/utility are unaccessible while carrying the flag so that we don't get constant kitting and teams to posess to Flag at their base for to capture the enemy one.

Unreal Tournament 2k3 and 4 has a weapon that lets you shoot out a teleport disc, but if you use it while carrying the flag, it drops the flag at your old location. Hope this helps.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@"Shao.7236" said:

Unreal Tournament 2k3 and 4 has a weapon that lets you shoot out a teleport disc, but if you use it while carrying the flag, it drops the flag at your old location. Hope this helps.

Good alternative, instead of having to press drop bundle. Using any utility have the flag be dropped instantly, makes everything less clunky.

We had all these modes in guild wars 1 pvp. I have no f'ing clue as to why gw2 doesnt have at least some variation of the same game mode tombs/HA had back in the day. This is actually the sole reason i quit the game for 5 years after buying it initially back on launch. Was really upset we didn't have pvp like old gw. I can say with the old HA format that there was a huge variety of character builds and team builds to play back then. IWAY, Ranger Spike, Necro Spike, SF Spike, good ole balanced builds with pd mes and proper team healing from a monk. The last map on the HA rotation was hall of heroes. it was a 3 team map with a king of the hill game mode. The last team standing stayed in the hall to fight the next teams coming, all while the rewards (fame) stacked with multiple wins. Teams would sometimes hold the halls for hours on end. Whatever team region (NA or EU) held halls, their region had access to the Underworld and Fissure of Woe (endgame content)
Now that i think about it, this game was way ahead of its time. But now we dont even have a dedicated guild versus guild game mode in a game called guild wars.

Here's a short answer pretty much most people are going to tell you:Blah blah blah, conquest is the better game mode, and the others are bad. Adding more game modes will split the population.

I honestly think they didn't give the other game modes a fair shot, such as its own click button queue. They normally just bundled it with conquest queue before, and the modes like 2v2/3v3s aren't even permanent additions just off-seasons, because apparently people aren't allowed to play what they prefer, otherwise it hurts the other game mode.

they should have a kill confirmed mode, or 5 cp matches,

I would also like a mode called hero mode, you pick a hero they have pre built build, players can select their preferred role and you can then the game auto selects a hero based on you play style that was selected IE, i want sustain and tankiness i get Jora, I want to play back capping roamer I get Nika, I want to play attacker I get Almorra Soulkeeper

i think what im suggesting is a more you pick a role and play it, and better rewards for playing the points and helping your teams, I think if you make the game less profitable for bots and people that choose to sit their and do nothing you will incentivize better matches, i also think a hero mode would then make that hero build more prominently useful and people will be able to utilise their build in the way its met to be used which in turn rewards them better at the end of the match instead of

starting a match realising a team isnt capable of holding points or capping points and people begin to quit

Like ive got a rule where once the team gets 250 point lead you might as well give up anyways most people arnt skilled enough to turn it around even if your playing the best you could be and destroying the team at one point if your team isnt able to hold the other or your focused hard on a point it just becomes a lost game

(sorry for poor wording, words not work good much at the moment) (i will edit later, once ive slept)

Tbh, I think CTF could be pretty easy to implement.

Make the flag buff the bearers health and armor to a set value, thats the same for any class that picks it up, making the problem of not having a class that can carry in your team not a problem.

Add a permanent movement debuff and grow in size so it's easier for the enemy to hunt the carrier, perhaps add a glow effect too.

Change the action bar to flag skills, perhaps something like health/mitigation buffs, perhaps a skill that plants the flag like banner, giving boons to allies around it but can't be picked up again for 10 seconds etc... Nothing too strange, just something that makes carrying the flag a bit more tactical and not just about pressing movement keys :)

CTF would fit this game so well, as it's actually FUN compared to standing on points.

I've only ever seen one true Capture The Flag variance in all my years of gaming. I've tried to make only 2 subtle mechanical changes that would make this form of CTF fit more easily into GW2, without really compromising the normal combat feel/experience. One change is movement speed buff cap mechanic when carrying a flag for obvious reasons. The other change is the flag (drop) mechanic. Your skills will function the same as they always have, even when carrying a flag, as long as you are mindful of the game mode's drop mechanic. When viewing these two changes with the overall Big Picture of the game's description, I believe some of you would understand more quickly than others. Also keep in mind, some additional ideas/changes may be required, but the goal here is to not include too many additional mechanics, especially with weapon/utility skills. The less work to be done, the better.