Race/profession help needed.

Velaethia.6820

Hello! I am a human like person looking for guidance.

I need help deciding the races for characters of the following professions.

Thief.Guardian.Ranger.Elementalist.

My favourite race is Sylvari. However it would be overwhelming with race storylines to have more than 3 of the same race. I currently have 2 Sylvari and 2 Norn. I'm not a big fan of humans. And iffy when it comes to Char. My current plan that I'm not sure about it was.

Thief: Char.Guardian: Human.Ranger: Human.Elementalist: Sylvari.

But I'm not sure about that exact combo.

Also considering

Thief: CharRanger: Sylvari.Guardian: HumanElementalist: ????

But perhaps all of those ideas are poor too?

I'm not entirely sure about Thief: Char either... Ugh this is so frustrating! If only there was one more race.

This is a big deal for me because race changes aren't available in case I make a mistake.

Please help friends of the forums. I greatly appreciate your time and energy to helping me solve this dilemma.

TryThief: Asura (cute killing animations)Ranger: Sylvari (cause Nature and stuff)Ranger op2: Norn (cause Hunter-like tradition/theme of the race)Guardian: Norn (cause Guardians should look mighty and who's better at that than giant mountain of muscles)Elementalist: Asura (super nice/cool animations as Ele)

Why are you not considering rolling an asura? I love my asura, and play human and asuran exclusively. The animations on asura are great as well, and human has access to tons of armors that look like they fit right. Honestly, if you don't care for the story or the way a race moves, then don't make it, you won't be happy with it at all. On the bright side, if you don't like something, you can delete and try again :smile:

Don't overwhelm yourself! The good thing about GW2 is that you can take your time and really enjoy the tremendous of content.

I think you should stick to your plan and play through it. When you create your character, take a second to look at it and do what you feel is right for that race and profession to how you want to play it. Enjoy the content, don't stress over finding the "right path" because there is none, it's your personal story!

Those are solid choices for storylines...and in the end you can always get more slots when they are on sale to try out the other options. What I did was create a spreadsheet to what I have already and what I didn't do yet (if I wanted to of course).

@Luna.1598 said:Why are you not considering rolling an asura?

Asura are VERY difficult for me to get looking just right. They always look awkward for me :/.

I have an Asura Engineer that I'm not even sure about.

@Alatar.7364 said:TryThief: Asura (cute killing animations)Ranger: Sylvari (cause Nature and stuff)Ranger op2: Norn (cause Hunter-like tradition/theme of the race)Guardian: Norn (cause Guardians should look mighty and who's better at that than giant mountain of muscles)Elementalist: Asura (super nice/cool animations as Ele)

Those are good options. My biggest problem with norn guardian is I already have a norn warrior and they're too similar imho.

Current thoughts:Thief: Asura/CharRanger: Sylvari.Guardian: Human.Elementalist: Asura/Human

@Velaethia.6820 said:This is the most impossible game decision EVER!!!!Okay, Okay. Current Thoughts.

Guardian: Human.Elementalist: Asura.Ranger: Sylvari.Thief: Char.

Though looking at char customisation I was overwhelmed to find one that worked well. And Sylvari have TOO much that works well.

Sometimes a Character model and animations can make up for the lack of good looking armors. This goes double times for Asura and Charr.I believe you won't be disappointed by Asura, Charr might be even harder to figure out though.

By the Way: Sylvari for Life. There is no shame in going with what you know and like then spend time and gold creating something you won't like. I myself love Sylvari more than any other, poses all Races, and still love Sylvari the most.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Velaethia.6820 said:This is the most impossible game decision EVER!!!!Okay, Okay. Current Thoughts.

Guardian: Human.Elementalist: Asura.Ranger: Sylvari.Thief: Char.

Though looking at char customisation I was overwhelmed to find one that worked well. And Sylvari have TOO much that works well.

Sometimes a Character model and animations can make up for the lack of good looking armors. This goes double times for Asura and Charr.I believe you won't be disappointed by Asura, Charr might be even harder to figure out though.

By the Way: Sylvari for Life. There is no shame in going with what you know and like then spend time and gold creating something you won't like. I myself love Sylvari more than any other, poses all Races, and still love Sylvari the most.

Yeah but I don't want like 50 sylvari cause then the story will begin to repeat itself.

Race is no question: Asura!!! And while you're at it, get a few more character slots and make more asura. You can never have enough asura.

To be more specific, animations and story line are the things that draw me to asura every time. I do have a fair number of Sylvari (love the customization options with leaves, bark and glow), Charr, and recently even Norn (and a single human ... it was an accident ;) ), but my asura with their long, floppy ears flying around whenever they move are by far my favourites.

For general open world PvE, grab an asura, give them a full set of superior runes of the golemancer, the racial golem elite skill, a golem mini, and a golem backpack, and you've got your very own golem army. Or put the golemancer runes on an asura chrono and watch four sets of golems comment on four cute asura activities ;) .

Don't worry too much about getting your characters to look "just right" either. If you find that in the long run you don't enjoy them, just get a hairstyle or makeover kit from the trading post. By todays standards it doesn't take long to save enough gold to get the gems for one of those kits.

edit to say: I did create several non-asura characters in the beginning because I thought I needed the variety. In the end I ended up making an asura duplicate of each of those non-asura characters because I found I enjoy playing asura a lot more than anything else most of the time ;) . I still have my "sylvari" and "norn" days (and I wouldn't leave my main charr ranger for anything), but most of the time it's asura for me!

How likely are you to repeat the story with every character, though? And outside of the earliest chapter of the personal story, there's essentially zero difference between characters anyway ... one of my biggest gripes with the game's writing. I'd say just stick with what you like for lore and aesthetics, even if that means you've got overlap between character creation choices.

Also, what are your criteria for choosing a race? Looks? Lore? Wanting to pick the "most fitting" race for a class? A hundred people could tell you what they like and why, but that isn't necessarily helpful at all. Me, I love sylvari for their lore and their unusual aesthetics, though for the most part I'm bad at making them because I'm no good at creating good colour combinations. There is, IMO, also only a very limited amount of armor skins that look good on sylvari. Charr are fantastic lore- and looks-wise as well (ignoring the more cutesy female and the more deranged male faces), but also infamously hard to find good gear. Norn leave me a bit "meh" because the women are just tall humans with no distinguishing features, but I like their lore too.

If you want to go with what's "appropriate", thief works well with charr, sylvari or human. Not so much norn, I'd say. Ranger suits all four in different ways. Guardian and elementalist would likely face some pushback in charr society because they're so obviously magic-using, but both classes are represented among the potential fellow warband survivors, so it's not as if it doesn't happen. I picked sylvari for both of these classes, and I think their attitude and the concept of the Wyld Hunt is very fitting for a guardian.

If you're unsure about charr (or any race), make one that you think looks good, class doesn't matter yet, and spend some time at the bank previewing the skins in the wardrobe for all armor types? Make notes whether you already have the skins you like, and how hard they are to come by if not. That might help.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Velaethia.6820 said:Is there a way to restore deleted characters?

Sadly, there is not.

Not true, make a support ticket, they can restore them. Did for me.My friend did make a Ticket. They did not restore it for him.

Just because they didn't for your friend doesn't mean they exclusively don't restore them. I've had many a character restored when someone went on a revenge deleting spree.

So yes, they do restore deleted characters. You just have to submit a ticket and they may be able to help you. It's not a guarantee, but it can happen. Just make sure to cooperate with support, OP :)

@Miss Lana.5276 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:

Sadly, there is not.

Not true, make a support ticket, they can restore them. Did for me.My friend did make a Ticket. They did not restore it for him.

Just because they didn't for your friend doesn't mean they exclusively don't restore them. I've had many a character restored when someone went on a revenge deleting spree.

So yes, they
do
restore deleted characters. You just have to submit a ticket and they
may
be able to help you. It's not a guarantee, but it can happen. Just make sure to cooperate with support, OP :)

Is there something like a Timegate for restoring a Character or can they restore any character deleted at any given time?Because I remember Ticket support telling him that they literally can not restore Characters and "even if we could, information about your character's content was already erased from database".So maybe things changed, Sorry for misleading information.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:

Sadly, there is not.

So yes, they
do
restore deleted characters. You just have to submit a ticket and they
may
be able to help you. It's not a guarantee, but it can happen. Just make sure to cooperate with support, OP :)

Is there something like a Timegate for restoring a Character or can they restore any character deleted at any given time?Because I remember Ticket support telling him that they literally can not restore Characters and
"even if we could, information about your character's content was already erased from database"
.So maybe things changed, Sorry for misleading information.

I'm not sure about a timegate, but it had been about 2-3 days between when my characters were deleted and when I submitted the ticket. At the most it was 10 days after that my characters were actually restored. I did have to submit information such as their name, race and level to help search the database.

I would imagine that they purge any old information after a certain amount of time, because they wouldn't have the budget for all the storage. There's just so many characters!

Archived