What's the purpose of splitblade? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Ranger

What's the purpose of splitblade?

Eilah.7908Eilah.7908 Member ✭✭

hey, i'm kinda new to ranger here and wanted to ask, what's the deal with splitblade [axe 2]? With all other axe skills being pretty good power hits, and the axe trait pushing the weapon even more into a power role, it seems weird to have the 2 skill be so lacking in damage. it doesn't even seem worth running axe on a condi build, because splitblade's bleed duration isn't all that impressive now that dagger is in the game. Is there some niche are where splitblade is useful, or is it just one of those skills that's been dying for a rework? I'd love to see it brought more in line for power, with some increased damage and maybe have the bleed traded out for vuln.

Comments

  • For Ranger, MH axe is more of a hybrid weapon than a strict power weapon. Axe 1 and 3 are pretty focused on power damage, while Axe 2 and 3 provide high duration bleeds. The Might from Axe 1 still provides condi damage, but in high end content such as fractals or raids that’s usually irrelevant.

    Main hand dagger is now a main hand condi (still kinda a hybrid weapon) option, but you should instead look at the entire class when looking weapon choices. MH dagger is only usable while you are Soulbeast, so for base Ranger the only MH condi weapon available would be Axe. If that gets reworked into a strictly power weapon, base Ranger would have no MH condi weapon.

    As a power weapon, Axe is still very good. Looking at Soulbeast benchmarks in instances PvE (fractals and raids), Axe is only about 3% less power DPS compared to MH Sword and Dagger.

    On SnowCrows and MetaBattle, which focus on meta builds for PvE content, Axe is currently one of the go to MH weapons for Condi Soulbeast (Axe+Dagger / Dagger+Torch), but this may mostly be due to offhand Dagger getting some very substantial buffs to make the Axe+Dagger combo better than Shortbow.

    The main reason though as I stated is that there would be no more MH condi weapon for Ranger if Splitblade was reworked to a pure power weapon. It’s currently more of a hybrid weapon, but can still perform very well in either scenario.

  • Krispera.5087Krispera.5087 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021

    Splitblade is just a mess. What is happening to Splitblade is intentionnal, but makes no sense. They buffed it a lot in PvP then re-nerfed it back to case 0.

    If they really wanted to make it hybrid, they would have done it already. Just look at power coefficient on Sevenshot and tell me it makes sense.

    Also, what make it worse is that Sevenshot will always land all the projectiles (on a stationnary target) at any range, but Splitblade needs to be point blank range to hit all 5. Where is the risk reward ? None. If anything, Splitblade should do more damage than Sevenshot, because it needs to be at close range to make good damage. At minimum, Splitblade should do more Power Damage at 5 hits, than Winter's Bite.

    Renegade Shortbow is a real hybrid weapon, because it does good condi AND power damage, on every skills.

    Splitblade is out of date. I just don't understand the logic around Splitblade. There is nothing to understand.

  • Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Krispera.5087 said:
    Splitblade is just a mess. What is happening to Splitblade is intentionnal, but makes no sense. They buffed it a lot in PvP then re-nerfed it back to case 0.

    If they really wanted to make it hybrid, they would have done it already. Just look at power coefficient on Sevenshot and tell me it makes sense.

    Also, what make it worse is that Sevenshot will always land all the projectiles (on a stationnary target) at any range, but Splitblade needs to be point blank range to hit all 5. Where is the risk reward ? None. If anything, Splitblade should do more damage than Sevenshot, because it needs to be at close range to make good damage. At minimum, Splitblade should do more Power Damage at 5 hits, than Winter's Bite.

    Renegade Shortbow is a real hybrid weapon, because it does good condi AND power damage, on every skills.

    Splitblade is out of date. I just don't understand the logic around Splitblade. There is nothing to understand.

    condi splitblade deals MASSIVE ammounts of damage, with bleed sigil it deals over 13k without even counting traits that can push it to 15k+.
    I dont think sevenshot can deal that much.
    RN Im running a build that juices slightly over 10k condi damage with it ( not counting traits, with them should be about ~12k )
    pvp btw.
    Axe tries to be a hybrid weapon but its really not. its full on condi weapon now.

  • Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEPwR0F-zZoOB3OA
    this is 10,4k already.
    no might, no vulnerability, no sigil, no oppressive savagery, no light on your feet
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEP4R0F-zZoCiiCwfA
    this with 5 might, sigil and krait is already over 16k, add oppressive, light on your feet and you are clocking somewhere around 18k-19k dmg
    Ofc its a bleed that lasts like 18s but the damage is there

  • The Boz.2038The Boz.2038 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021

    Splitblade bleed lasts twice as long in PvP. Forgot about that bit.

  • Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021

    @UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEPwR0F-zZoOB3OA
    this is 10,4k already.
    no might, no vulnerability, no sigil, no oppressive savagery, no light on your feet
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEP4R0F-zZoCiiCwfA
    this with 5 might, sigil and krait is already over 16k, add oppressive, light on your feet and you are clocking somewhere around 18k-19k dmg
    Ofc its a bleed that lasts like 18s but the damage is there

    Total dmg of condition skills is irrelevant in PvP, because cleanses and healing are a thing. In practise sevenshot's condis will deal more dmg than splitblade 99,99% of the time while being easier to land (and the power dmg is on another lvl anyway).
    Splitblade is garbage. Overall axe is still a solid weapon for hybrid and certain power builds.

    ill take my garbage 12k split blade and roll with my 90% winrate, 16 winstreak build with it then.
    While yes, cleanses exist, but you need to keep in mind that almost every single ranger skill is cleanse or die, you just do it over again and again untill someone doesnt have cleanse anymore and flops dead. As for healing.... well, perma poison says hi :D

    EDIT
    I think im on 19 winstreak now, solo. Axe is legit good condi weapon.

  • Abyssisis.3971Abyssisis.3971 Member ✭✭✭

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEPwR0F-zZoOB3OA
    this is 10,4k already.
    no might, no vulnerability, no sigil, no oppressive savagery, no light on your feet
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEP4R0F-zZoCiiCwfA
    this with 5 might, sigil and krait is already over 16k, add oppressive, light on your feet and you are clocking somewhere around 18k-19k dmg
    Ofc its a bleed that lasts like 18s but the damage is there

    Total dmg of condition skills is irrelevant in PvP, because cleanses and healing are a thing. In practise sevenshot's condis will deal more dmg than splitblade 99,99% of the time while being easier to land (and the power dmg is on another lvl anyway).
    Splitblade is garbage. Overall axe is still a solid weapon for hybrid and certain power builds.

    ill take my garbage 12k split blade and roll with my 90% winrate, 16 winstreak build with it then.
    While yes, cleanses exist, but you need to keep in mind that almost every single ranger skill is cleanse or die, you just do it over again and again untill someone doesnt have cleanse anymore and flops dead. As for healing.... well, perma poison says hi :D

    EDIT
    I think im on 19 winstreak now, solo. Axe is legit good condi weapon.

    What’s this magical build you use?

  • Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Abyssisis.3971 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEPwR0F-zZoOB3OA
    this is 10,4k already.
    no might, no vulnerability, no sigil, no oppressive savagery, no light on your feet
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEP4R0F-zZoCiiCwfA
    this with 5 might, sigil and krait is already over 16k, add oppressive, light on your feet and you are clocking somewhere around 18k-19k dmg
    Ofc its a bleed that lasts like 18s but the damage is there

    Total dmg of condition skills is irrelevant in PvP, because cleanses and healing are a thing. In practise sevenshot's condis will deal more dmg than splitblade 99,99% of the time while being easier to land (and the power dmg is on another lvl anyway).
    Splitblade is garbage. Overall axe is still a solid weapon for hybrid and certain power builds.

    ill take my garbage 12k split blade and roll with my 90% winrate, 16 winstreak build with it then.
    While yes, cleanses exist, but you need to keep in mind that almost every single ranger skill is cleanse or die, you just do it over again and again untill someone doesnt have cleanse anymore and flops dead. As for healing.... well, perma poison says hi :D

    EDIT
    I think im on 19 winstreak now, solo. Axe is legit good condi weapon.

    What’s this magical build you use?

    axe/dagger + sb
    carrior + trapper
    Enjoy getting carried by the build, I sure do

  • Abyssisis.3971Abyssisis.3971 Member ✭✭✭

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @Abyssisis.3971 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEPwR0F-zZoOB3OA
    this is 10,4k already.
    no might, no vulnerability, no sigil, no oppressive savagery, no light on your feet
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEP4R0F-zZoCiiCwfA
    this with 5 might, sigil and krait is already over 16k, add oppressive, light on your feet and you are clocking somewhere around 18k-19k dmg
    Ofc its a bleed that lasts like 18s but the damage is there

    Total dmg of condition skills is irrelevant in PvP, because cleanses and healing are a thing. In practise sevenshot's condis will deal more dmg than splitblade 99,99% of the time while being easier to land (and the power dmg is on another lvl anyway).
    Splitblade is garbage. Overall axe is still a solid weapon for hybrid and certain power builds.

    ill take my garbage 12k split blade and roll with my 90% winrate, 16 winstreak build with it then.
    While yes, cleanses exist, but you need to keep in mind that almost every single ranger skill is cleanse or die, you just do it over again and again untill someone doesnt have cleanse anymore and flops dead. As for healing.... well, perma poison says hi :D

    EDIT
    I think im on 19 winstreak now, solo. Axe is legit good condi weapon.

    What’s this magical build you use?

    axe/dagger + sb
    carrior + trapper
    Enjoy getting carried by the build, I sure do

    4/10 wins using carrion/trappers with placement matches, tho they are horrible matches ahha Not nearly as effective as burn guard where I’ll do 8/10 matches as pretty easy wins, gonna play a few more matches and see if I can improve the play style to get a higher win rate.

  • Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Abyssisis.3971 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @Abyssisis.3971 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEPwR0F-zZoOB3OA
    this is 10,4k already.
    no might, no vulnerability, no sigil, no oppressive savagery, no light on your feet
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEP4R0F-zZoCiiCwfA
    this with 5 might, sigil and krait is already over 16k, add oppressive, light on your feet and you are clocking somewhere around 18k-19k dmg
    Ofc its a bleed that lasts like 18s but the damage is there

    Total dmg of condition skills is irrelevant in PvP, because cleanses and healing are a thing. In practise sevenshot's condis will deal more dmg than splitblade 99,99% of the time while being easier to land (and the power dmg is on another lvl anyway).
    Splitblade is garbage. Overall axe is still a solid weapon for hybrid and certain power builds.

    ill take my garbage 12k split blade and roll with my 90% winrate, 16 winstreak build with it then.
    While yes, cleanses exist, but you need to keep in mind that almost every single ranger skill is cleanse or die, you just do it over again and again untill someone doesnt have cleanse anymore and flops dead. As for healing.... well, perma poison says hi :D

    EDIT
    I think im on 19 winstreak now, solo. Axe is legit good condi weapon.

    What’s this magical build you use?

    axe/dagger + sb
    carrior + trapper
    Enjoy getting carried by the build, I sure do

    4/10 wins using carrion/trappers with placement matches, tho they are horrible matches ahha Not nearly as effective as burn guard where I’ll do 8/10 matches as pretty easy wins, gonna play a few more matches and see if I can improve the play style to get a higher win rate.

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUdjlVwsYTsH2JWeP2v/BUB-zZoOiMVBKcA
    this is what I have been using, there is room for improvement as I suck at ranger, but it got me some wins I didnt deserve for sure.
    mb different pet, or rabid instead off carrion

  • Abyssisis.3971Abyssisis.3971 Member ✭✭✭

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @Abyssisis.3971 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @Abyssisis.3971 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEPwR0F-zZoOB3OA
    this is 10,4k already.
    no might, no vulnerability, no sigil, no oppressive savagery, no light on your feet
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAciWYOEP4R0F-zZoCiiCwfA
    this with 5 might, sigil and krait is already over 16k, add oppressive, light on your feet and you are clocking somewhere around 18k-19k dmg
    Ofc its a bleed that lasts like 18s but the damage is there

    Total dmg of condition skills is irrelevant in PvP, because cleanses and healing are a thing. In practise sevenshot's condis will deal more dmg than splitblade 99,99% of the time while being easier to land (and the power dmg is on another lvl anyway).
    Splitblade is garbage. Overall axe is still a solid weapon for hybrid and certain power builds.

    ill take my garbage 12k split blade and roll with my 90% winrate, 16 winstreak build with it then.
    While yes, cleanses exist, but you need to keep in mind that almost every single ranger skill is cleanse or die, you just do it over again and again untill someone doesnt have cleanse anymore and flops dead. As for healing.... well, perma poison says hi :D

    EDIT
    I think im on 19 winstreak now, solo. Axe is legit good condi weapon.

    What’s this magical build you use?

    axe/dagger + sb
    carrior + trapper
    Enjoy getting carried by the build, I sure do

    4/10 wins using carrion/trappers with placement matches, tho they are horrible matches ahha Not nearly as effective as burn guard where I’ll do 8/10 matches as pretty easy wins, gonna play a few more matches and see if I can improve the play style to get a higher win rate.

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUdjlVwsYTsH2JWeP2v/BUB-zZoOiMVBKcA
    this is what I have been using, there is room for improvement as I suck at ranger, but it got me some wins I didnt deserve for sure.
    mb different pet, or rabid instead off carrion

    Carrions trapper plays just fine. It’s not the build that letting me down, it’s the teammate that cannot be carried and the players that “drop” or go idle at the start of a match. When I get out of the kitten tiers I’ll see how it plays against people that know what they are doing, tho I will admits, it’s pretty funny watching bad players run into a trap zone and get loaded up and die hahah

  • mistsim.2748mistsim.2748 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2021

    Splitblade is never used because MH axe isn't a part of any good condi build. MH dagger is always better on a SB condi build, and core ranger unfortunately does not have any viable condi builds.

    Axe is an excellent power weapon however, so if they increased the power coefficient, Splitblade would be very useful. MH axe should be a very bursty weapon in power builds, but I'll settle for Winter's Bite being one of the best nukes in the game.

  • Choppy.4183Choppy.4183 Member ✭✭✭

    @mistsim.2748 said:
    Splitblade is never used because MH axe isn't a part of any good condi build. MH dagger is always better on a SB condi build, and core ranger unfortunately does not have any viable condi builds.

    Axe is an excellent power weapon however, so if they increased the power coefficient, Splitblade would be very useful. MH axe should be a very bursty weapon in power builds, but I'll settle for Winter's Bite being one of the best nukes in the game.

    Not sure the arena you're talking about, but sb/a+t (or d) on core makes for a plenty viable condi build. Maybe not optimal, but certainly viable. Splitblade coupled with Sharpening Stones puts out a nice burst that most people don't see coming too.

    I’m Biffles Ma Niffles, and I approved this message.
    Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

  • Abyssisis.3971Abyssisis.3971 Member ✭✭✭

    I still prefer my good old trusty poison master stance build over trapper on ranger, just cannot seem to carry other players when I’m playing hit and run with trapper runes.

  • mistsim.2748mistsim.2748 Member ✭✭✭

    @Abyssisis.3971 said:
    I still prefer my good old trusty poison master stance build over trapper on ranger, just cannot seem to carry other players when I’m playing hit and run with trapper runes.

    Poison Master with Poison Trap is very very good. I play a Poison Master Soulbeast myself.

  • mistsim.2748mistsim.2748 Member ✭✭✭

    @Choppy.4183 said:

    @mistsim.2748 said:
    Splitblade is never used because MH axe isn't a part of any good condi build. MH dagger is always better on a SB condi build, and core ranger unfortunately does not have any viable condi builds.

    Axe is an excellent power weapon however, so if they increased the power coefficient, Splitblade would be very useful. MH axe should be a very bursty weapon in power builds, but I'll settle for Winter's Bite being one of the best nukes in the game.

    Not sure the arena you're talking about, but sb/a+t (or d) on core makes for a plenty viable condi build. Maybe not optimal, but certainly viable. Splitblade coupled with Sharpening Stones puts out a nice burst that most people don't see coming too.

    Yeah, that's an older condi build. Nothing wrong with it. I've just moved away from core condi ranger as it has too many issues.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Splitblade is pretty much the bane of Axe yea.. I agree.

    I also agree with those who say that MH Axe should be a condition weapon as Ranger's are pretty lacking for a good MH condi weapon.
    Both Axe and MH Dagger function as Hybrids not pure condi which is quite disappointing overall and leaves Ranger desperately in need of a good MH condi weapon.
    Part of me actually hopes they'll get Scepter in End of Dragons to finally remedy this.

    I would support a rework for MH Axe to be more condi friendly, specifically Splitblade having it's function changed so that it can better apply it's bleeds.
    I would much prefer this skill to be changed to a single target skill with the added effect of the Axe breaking upon impact and striking 5 additional enemies within 100-200 range of the enemy Splitblade hits and inflicting bleeding to every target that is hit.
    This would be my ideal way for this skill to work.

    I'd also want to see Axe auto get some weak bleeds as well or at least gain a chance of bleeding on hit which would be a nice ability to combine with the Sharpened Edges trait which grants 33% chance to bleed on crits.
    So you could have it set up that Axe auto has a base 33% chance to bleed on a hit and a 66% chance to bleed on a crit if Sharpened Edges is taken.

    This is how I would change MH axe for Ranger to make it a better weapon for those who want to run Condi over Power.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2021

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    I got playing around with the build editor and cobbled this experimental PvE condi build together which im now actually considering making in game at some point.
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAciVlFwmYSMF2JWaP7P3JkC-zRIYd09XI5kAFHCdUBmfCCxvkJ3A-e

    I've managed to get Splitblade to theoretically be capable of hitting 11K bleeds over 12 seconds so long as you have max stacks of might, sigil kills, buffs from food and crystals and being fused into beast mode.
    I can get 12K over 9 seconds on vipers with the same circumstances but at a reasonable loss to crit chance and a loss of almost 10k health.
    Vipers will give you stronger conditions overall and at lower duration than the Bringers Stats I choose and will buff power damage so it'll really depend on preference here.
    Do you significantly want more Health and a good few extra crits (Bringers) or do you want a fair bit more power damage and stronger conditions on shorter durations (Vipers)
    If your team can cover your crit loss with fury spam and precision buffs from banner or traits etc then it'll be the better choice in organised group content.
    If they can't provide that though Bringers might just be a little better and a lot safer to go with.

    I have to admit this build surprised me with the condition damage numbers shown on the editor and im curious to see if I can replicate them in game now.
    I invested entirely into Expertise with Bringers stats as well as Vitality conversion to max out 100% condition duration without needing to use sigils or runes to buff bleeds and poison duration freeing them up to buff condi damage or apply more poison instead.
    Despite that it shows that the build is still able to still hit 1824 Condition damage stat under the right circumstances.. fused with pet, maxed might and active food buffs.

    The Lynx pet even looks like it can apply some descent bleeds as well, Maul and Rending Pounce both applying 6,5K bleeds over 20 seconds + it will apply a 3,7K poison as well after using Rending Pounce thanks to Poison Master and additional poisons every attack so long as it remains above 75% health.. not that it will be above that for long if it's tanking.. but that's why I ran with Troll Unguent to hopefully help keep it there a while.
    Sharpened Edges also gives it a 33% chance to bleed on crits and the lynx has a 63% crit chance so overall I think this may not be a bad combo setup for the Lynx.

    I've always liked the Lynx myself and i've always wanted to run one in a condi build but I never could figure out a good build to run it in.
    You could always run a Hawk or something instead and get more bleed stacks with it's Lacerating Slash but i'm going to run a Lynx with this setup partly because I want to :) and partly because of the Beastmode skills.
    The potential 14K bleed on a 16 sec CD from the Beastmode F2 Maul is much more appealing to me than the skills given by the Hawk.
    Not sure if that ends up making a difference over the Hawk when it comes to who's the better bleeder pet but for me im going on preference for this build ^^

  • Substance E.4852Substance E.4852 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Krispera.5087 said:
    Splitblade is out of date. I just don't understand the logic around Splitblade. There is nothing to understand.

    It's just a forgotten relic from the days when "hybrid weapon" wasn't really a thing and Anet thought of small blips of bleeding as extra, free dps like conditions were in GW1

    Never forget, Maul used to inflict bleeding instead of vulnerability and shortbow used to be our peak DPS power weapon back when each shot crit'ing for 1k was considered "amazing"

  • UmbraNoctis.1907UmbraNoctis.1907 Member ✭✭✭

    @Teratus.2859 said:

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    I got playing around with the build editor and cobbled this experimental PvE condi build together which im now actually considering making in game at some point.
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAciVlFwmYSMF2JWaP7P3JkC-zRIYd09XI5kAFHCdUBmfCCxvkJ3A-e

    This is ... not a good build.
    You lose about 1k condition dmg compared to a viper/trailblazer build and are overcapping condi duration, completely wasting stats. Few % more crit won't do much in comparison, even more so without power. Health alone is also not that great for survivability, as the build lacks the ability to sustain such a huge health pool. If you want a tanky build, just use trailblazer - much better survivability and still good dmg.
    Sharpening Stone > Sun Spirit. Geo/Earth/Tormenting sigil > Blight.

    Lynx is a good pet for condi builds (much better than hawk), but keep in mind that condis applied by the pet stop dealing dmg when you merge (or swap pets), so it is usually best to just camp beast mode.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021

    @UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

    @Teratus.2859 said:

    @The Boz.2038 said:
    13k? What? Sorry?
    It inflicts five stacks of bleed for 6 seconds. In a full Viper/Krait setup, with 25 stacks of Might, +100% bleed duration, and merged for 2200 Condition Damage, it tops out at 9k damage bleed and ~800 damage in Power. Where are you getting 15k from?

    I got playing around with the build editor and cobbled this experimental PvE condi build together which im now actually considering making in game at some point.
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAciVlFwmYSMF2JWaP7P3JkC-zRIYd09XI5kAFHCdUBmfCCxvkJ3A-e

    This is ... not a good build.
    You lose about 1k condition dmg compared to a viper/trailblazer build and are overcapping condi duration, completely wasting stats. Few % more crit won't do much in comparison, even more so without power. Health alone is also not that great for survivability, as the build lacks the ability to sustain such a huge health pool. If you want a tanky build, just use trailblazer - much better survivability and still good dmg.
    Sharpening Stone > Sun Spirit. Geo/Earth/Tormenting sigil > Blight.

    Lynx is a good pet for condi builds (much better than hawk), but keep in mind that condis applied by the pet stop dealing dmg when you merge (or swap pets), so it is usually best to just camp beast mode.

    Duration isn't overcapped on exotic gear with exception to Poison duration from the rune, unless your counting some temporary trait buffs which I don't factor into initial builds, they're accounted later when I refine my builds.
    I'll probably run vipers weapons on it later as it's worth the small tradeoff for a descent bump in condi dmg and I can get the duration loss from traits, i'm already messing with refined variants since I like the build.
    If you're interested in the rough refined variant im considering so far.
    http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAciVlFwmYSMF2JWaP3P3JkC-zRRYNRw5vZ0RBKkcSgiDhOqAzPBh4XykbA-e

    You'll probably say run sigils for duration and take more vipers but that defies the point, I didn't want to run duration sigils, they're wasted on this build since it's designed around duration not damage.
    The HP is descent for survivability as well because it's a pure range build, it's pretty easy to sustain it with the various tools it has.

    I never said this would be a super awesome meta redefining build though, but it is fun to play and that was the point.
    It only surprised me because I wasn't expecting condition damage output to be what it is with almost no stat investment, that was fun to discover..
    1K damage loss is something i'd gladly trade for 10K health, higher crit chance and longer condi durations-
    As i've said millions of times on the forums though I don't care about maxing DPS that's boring to me.
    I make builds for fun that's my focus. :)

  • UmbraNoctis.1907UmbraNoctis.1907 Member ✭✭✭

    @Teratus.2859 said:
    [...]
    I make builds for fun that's my focus. :)

    And that's something i totally understand, and i tend to do that myself. Which is why i didn't criticise your choice of weapons for example. I just don't get how using bad stats makes a build more fun. After all, how a build plays is mostly defined by the skills you have at your disposal, not what numbers are displayed on your stats sheet (and that's the only place where you'd notice your 100% condi duration).

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021

    @UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

    @Teratus.2859 said:
    [...]
    I make builds for fun that's my focus. :)

    And that's something i totally understand, and i tend to do that myself. Which is why i didn't criticise your choice of weapons for example. I just don't get how using bad stats makes a build more fun. After all, how a build plays is mostly defined by the skills you have at your disposal, not what numbers are displayed on your stats sheet (and that's the only place where you'd notice your 100% condi duration).

    I don't believe any stat combos are bad, I prefer to think that they all have some use on some build/class somewhere.. especially when mixed.
    Part of the fun I find in making builds is to see what I can do with skills, traits and stats that most people wouldn't even consider using normally.

    Necromancer for example has traits that can almost completely cover their crit chance, so they can play around with all sorts of stat combos that ditch precision, like Soldiers, Valkyrie and Crusader for example.

    Regarding the specific mention to my weapon choices, two of the reasons I am using those specifically is because:
    1. I wanted to make a new condition build that uses a MH Axe which was a point of discussion in this thread due to it's more hybrid nature.
    2. I wanted to go with a duration focused range condition build which is something I didn't currently have on any of my 6 Rangers.
    I've already got a few SB builds that use Dagger and power builds that use MH Axe so wanted to change that up a little.

    I don't care much for build swapping characters like a lot of people do.. many builds and equipment sets on 1 character.
    I prefer to have many characters instead and have 2-3 builds with 2-3 equipment sets specifically on each one instead.

    The build I shared here is one of two builds I created for a Charr Ranger that is themed around applying poison, his last name Blightclaw also reflects this as well.
    His other build is a more power focused melee build that uses Dagger/Dagger and Sword/Axe.

    A lot of my characters are like this as well, sticking with Ranger examples I have one Ranger that is themed on an Archer.. all of it's builds use a Longbow.
    I've another that is themed on a Falconer and only use's Bird pets.
    Got a Highlander themed Charr as well which is designed around using a Greatsword.
    Most of my characters only have a single active build though since they were created years before templates were added to the game.