Remove block option on right click for world vs world when clicking other world player

Dagnis.2936

So the whole idea is that players can't contact others of another world because there is no way to find out who they are. HOWEVER.. thats wrong.

You can simply block someone and their name appears on your block list. Remember the name, and unblock them. Done, you can now trash talk anyone from another world. Just had this happen to me.

This needs to be fixed as it's a commonly known thing.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Use the block feature to stop any unwanted communication?Report player?

@Choppy.4183 said:You know you can use the feature you're talking about to stop anyone abusing you, on an opposing server or otherwise, right? Maybe do that instead of calling for the removal of everybody's ability to talk to people on different servers.

I'm referring to the ability to right click on a players portrait and click block. Most normal options aren't there, but block and report are. Seeing as you can't normally hear or talk to this person, block shouldn't be needed. Instead, ironically, block allows for the very action that would warrant a block. A block can still be done on that player via chat, if needed. That said, if block is remove from portrait, it won't ever be needed in wvw for players from other worlds.

Anet has also made it clear they don't show names so that people can't contact each other. Having block allows for something they don't actually want.

@Dagnis.2936 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Use the block feature to stop any unwanted communication?Report player?

@Choppy.4183 said:You know you can use the feature you're talking about to stop anyone abusing you, on an opposing server or otherwise, right? Maybe do that instead of calling for the removal of everybody's ability to talk to people on different servers.

I'm referring to the ability to right click on a players portrait and click block. Most normal options aren't there, but block and report are. Seeing as you can't normally hear or talk to this person, block shouldn't be needed. Instead, ironically, block allows for the very action that would warrant a block. A block can still be done on that player via chat, if needed. That said, if block is remove from portrait, it won't ever be needed in wvw for players from other worlds.

Anet has also made it clear they don't show names so that people can't contact each other. Having block allows for something they don't actually want.

You've missed the point we both made. Quite a lot of people, myself included, have used this feature for years to have perfectly friendly and productive conversations with people on other servers. You got some salt thrown at you, which happens, so why don't you the same block feature they're using to initiate conversations with you to stop them from being able to do so?

That will keep people from giving you grief without taking away a good feature for the rest of us.

But getting trashtalked is one of the most enjoyable events in WvW. Even if the enemy was good you know they are a moron. I love taunting them back. My favorite response lately when we gank them 3+v1 and someone start going on a whisper tirade:

"Welcome to the WvW sir"

US peeps wont get it, but you know.

• Like 1

@Dagnis.2936 said:

You can also invite people to parties even if they're on another server. Waypointing will reveal their name as well.

I don't see either of these things as an issue. You shouldn't be disallowed from communicating with people on other servers just because it can be used for negative reasons. If that were the case I'd say PvP would be a lot more important to censor since there are so many people that will rant and rage in /say or /map.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:But getting trashtalked is one of the most enjoyable events in WvW. Even if the enemy was good you know they are a moron. I love taunting them back. My favorite response lately when we gank them 3+v1 and someone start going on a whisper tirade:

"Welcome to the WvW sir"

Got a salty whisper yesterday. I find it a compliment. Then again he insulted my game play... after I killed him! whut? I simply replied, bahahahaha. and he went away.

after all its not that crazy common... i play since 2019, have rank 20xx and got not even 10 salty messagers, notsure if it was even 5... so eh.

as others said: guild comms use this to make contact with other guilds. if would be disabled u had to look up their tags name always manually, which is unreasonable amount of work.

• Thanks 1

@Galmac.4680 said:

@"Justine.6351" said:Perhaps a toggle in options to prevent people from whispering you who are on enemy server in wvw?

You mean like switching to "offline" over the LFG window?

No I mean the toggle would block whispers from anyone not of your server in wvw.If you set to offline then nobody at all can whisper you.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:But getting trashtalked is one of the most enjoyable events in WvW. Even if the enemy was good you know they are a moron. I love taunting them back. My favorite response lately when we gank them 3+v1 and someone start going on a whisper tirade:

"Welcome to the WvW sir"

Im going with the classic:"So many flavours and you choose to be salty <3"

• 3 weeks later...

I think ANET created a Hit List tab that showed the user name and location of your targets. Later they changed the name to Block List, but kept the same functionality. So, is working as designed. 😁 

But seriously, there is no need show the full user name and location in the hit block list. And there is no need to show the full user name in the report pop up. Also, they could block cross-server communications even if the user names are known if they wanted. So I guess they just don't care.

• Like 1