So... much.. jumping! — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Players Helping Players

So... much.. jumping!

I recently returned to GW2 after a long break and was really enjoying the game. I found a small but amazing guild and did my first Fractal/Tier1 daily (whatever it was). Sadly I hated it, not only did I not know what I was doing and it's so fast I was lost 90% of the time, I can get past that learn the mechanics and what to do more so what not to do. My thing is why so much jumping? If I wanted to play Super Mario I'd load it up and play. I asked the guild if everything is like that and they said a lot is. Is that really true? A really fun game tied to one mechanic like that simply doesn't make sense to me. Seems I am back to searching for another MMO if this is what drives GW2. /sad

Comments

  • Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Play firebrand and use aegis.

  • Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Only the floaty ones are jumpy, there's not really that many of them. A lot of them have no jumping whatsoever.
    If you don't want to do the jumpy part, just say in chat, type the /gg command and respawn at the next checkpoint when someone reaches it.
    People always wait for a full party before pushing on so no big deal.

  • brgmns.9235brgmns.9235 Member ✭✭

    @Veprovina.4876 said:
    Only the floaty ones are jumpy, there's not really that many of them. A lot of them have no jumping whatsoever.
    If you don't want to do the jumpy part, just say in chat, type the /gg command and respawn at the next checkpoint when someone reaches it.
    People always wait for a full party before pushing on so no big deal.

    I don't mean jumping up, I mean jumping across gaps.

  • Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2021

    @brgmns.9235 said:

    @Veprovina.4876 said:
    Only the floaty ones are jumpy, there's not really that many of them. A lot of them have no jumping whatsoever.
    If you don't want to do the jumpy part, just say in chat, type the /gg command and respawn at the next checkpoint when someone reaches it.
    People always wait for a full party before pushing on so no big deal.

    I don't mean jumping up, I mean jumping across gaps.

    Same thing really. If you don't want to do it, you don't really have to, there's no fighting going on in theese parts, and there's rarely a mechanic on the jumpy part that requires a party. So just say something like "can i please gg, i suck at jumpy parts" in chat, then /gg and wait for others to finish getting to the next checkpoint.
    And i'm not implying you suck at it, just that, if you word it like that people are OK with it most of the time so there's a little tip for you. :wink:

    Besides, if you do the fractals a lot, this becomes second nature really. Only a few jumps are required after a checkpoint and those are mostly at the end bosses, but they're not exactly jumping puzzles, just separations from the checpoint to the arena. It's an easy jump.

    So yes, you'll still have to do some jumping, but not as much i guess...
    It's kind of how the game is.

  • brgmns.9235brgmns.9235 Member ✭✭

    @Veprovina.4876 said:

    @brgmns.9235 said:

    @Veprovina.4876 said:
    Only the floaty ones are jumpy, there's not really that many of them. A lot of them have no jumping whatsoever.
    If you don't want to do the jumpy part, just say in chat, type the /gg command and respawn at the next checkpoint when someone reaches it.
    People always wait for a full party before pushing on so no big deal.

    I don't mean jumping up, I mean jumping across gaps.

    Same thing really. If you don't want to do it, you don't really have to, there's no fighting going on in theese parts, and there's rarely a mechanic on the jumpy part that requires a party. So just say something like "can i please gg, i suck at jumpy parts" in chat, then /gg and wait for others to finish getting to the next checkpoint.
    And i'm not implying you suck at it, just that, if you word it like that people are OK with it most of the time so there's a little tip for you. :wink:

    Besides, if you do the fractals a lot, this becomes second nature really. Only a few jumps are required after a checkpoint and those are mostly at the end bosses, but they're not exactly jumping puzzles, just separations from the checpoint to the arena. It's an easy jump.

    So yes, you'll still have to do some jumping, but not as much i guess...
    It's kind of how the game is.

    No you don't have to imply it, you can flat out say it I am trash at jumping in games. It's a me thing, I admit it. "Easy Jump" is opinion lol I almost missed the jump to the boss area in todays fractal.

  • Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2021

    @brgmns.9235 said:

    @Veprovina.4876 said:

    @brgmns.9235 said:

    @Veprovina.4876 said:
    Only the floaty ones are jumpy, there's not really that many of them. A lot of them have no jumping whatsoever.
    If you don't want to do the jumpy part, just say in chat, type the /gg command and respawn at the next checkpoint when someone reaches it.
    People always wait for a full party before pushing on so no big deal.

    I don't mean jumping up, I mean jumping across gaps.

    Same thing really. If you don't want to do it, you don't really have to, there's no fighting going on in theese parts, and there's rarely a mechanic on the jumpy part that requires a party. So just say something like "can i please gg, i suck at jumpy parts" in chat, then /gg and wait for others to finish getting to the next checkpoint.
    And i'm not implying you suck at it, just that, if you word it like that people are OK with it most of the time so there's a little tip for you. :wink:

    Besides, if you do the fractals a lot, this becomes second nature really. Only a few jumps are required after a checkpoint and those are mostly at the end bosses, but they're not exactly jumping puzzles, just separations from the checpoint to the arena. It's an easy jump.

    So yes, you'll still have to do some jumping, but not as much i guess...
    It's kind of how the game is.

    No you don't have to imply it, you can flat out say it I am trash at jumping in games. It's a me thing, I admit it. "Easy Jump" is opinion lol I almost missed the jump to the boss area in todays fractal.

    But you made it didn't you? :smile: You said you almost didn't, so i assume you did in the end.
    Don't get discouraged, if you plan on doing fractals daily, then "easy jump" will soon become a fact, not an opinion, trust me. :smile:

    I've been doing fractals for a while and i still miss some jumps, it's not a big deal really, no one will hate you for it. Most have reasonable respawn points, and if you miss the boss jump, someone can resurrect you. And as you go up a tier in them, you'll get better and better at it and figure out "the trick".

    Cause there is a trick kind of, and that's to go to the very edge. Most character models, especially the larger ones like Charr or Norn look like they wouldn't make it that they'd fall over, but they don't, the character boundary is the same on all races. That's why Charr sometimes seem like they're standing on nothing, but they're actually on the edge. And well, practice makes perfect.

    Are you in T1 fractals or higher tiers? (EDIT: Tier 1, i see it now, you said it in your post lol)
    If you're in T1, don't worry, no one is expecting perfection and they're generally so easy that no one minds if someone dies. And as you progress up the tiers, you will have done the same jumpy fractals so much that you'll just jump without thinking. :smile:

  • Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Here's a guide on all the T1 fractals.

    He sometimes mentions "skips" and /gg, but that's what i've been telling you as well, you can skip some parts with the /gg mechanic as long as at least 1 person makes it to the next checkpoint.
    And don't be afraid to use the /gg command, everyone does it. :wink:

  • brgmns.9235brgmns.9235 Member ✭✭

    @Veprovina.4876 said:

    But you made it didn't you? :smile: You said you almost didn't, so i assume you did in the end.
    Don't get discouraged, if you plan on doing fractals daily, then "easy jump" will soon become a fact, not an opinion, trust me. :smile:

    I've been doing fractals for a while and i still miss some jumps, it's not a big deal really, no one will hate you for it. Most have reasonable respawn points, and if you miss the boss jump, someone can resurrect you. And as you go up a tier in them, you'll get better and better at it and figure out "the trick".

    Cause there is a trick kind of, and that's to go to the very edge. Most character models, especially the larger ones like Charr or Norn look like they wouldn't make it that they'd fall over, but they don't, the character boundary is the same on all races. That's why Charr sometimes seem like they're standing on nothing, but they're actually on the edge. And well, practice makes perfect.

    Are you in T1 fractals or higher tiers? (EDIT: Tier 1, i see it now, you said it in your post lol)
    If you're in T1, don't worry, no one is expecting perfection and they're generally so easy that no one minds if someone dies. And as you progress up the tiers, you will have done the same jumpy fractals so much that you'll just jump without thinking. :smile:

    I made it, after falling several times, yes. Based on my history in video games I don't think I'll just suddenly figure it out and more so it's simply not fun. When we were running and I had to do little jumps on a board walk I hated it. The area with the fire and the jumps from the pillars was worse and it was then I questioned playing because I had a feeling it was going to get worse farther into the game, based on what I am reading I am probably right. That's for the information.

  • brgmns.9235brgmns.9235 Member ✭✭
    edited April 4, 2021

    @Veprovina.4876 said:
    Here's a guide on all the T1 fractals.

    He sometimes mentions "skips" and /gg, but that's what i've been telling you as well, you can skip some parts with the /gg mechanic as long as at least 1 person makes it to the next checkpoint.
    And don't be afraid to use the /gg command, everyone does it. :wink:

    I appreciate this, but I would feel very awkward just staying back when with a group and then doing /gg to catch up. It feels like the devs want us jumping around (Jump around, jump up, jump up and get down.. ) and others have now told me "You do realize that JUMPING puzzles are one of the things they put into the spotlights when launching the game. Not only that they have introduced bigger and harder (way harder) jumping puzzles over time" which is not what I wanted to hear but seems very honest.

  • Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2021

    @brgmns.9235 said:

    @Veprovina.4876 said:
    Here's a guide on all the T1 fractals.

    He sometimes mentions "skips" and /gg, but that's what i've been telling you as well, you can skip some parts with the /gg mechanic as long as at least 1 person makes it to the next checkpoint.
    And don't be afraid to use the /gg command, everyone does it. :wink:

    I appreciate this, but I would feel very awkward just staying back when with a group and then doing /gg to catch up. It feels like the devs want us jumping around (Jump around, jump up, jump up and get down.. ) and others have now told me "You do realize that JUMPING puzzles are one of the things they put into the spotlights when launching the game. Not only that they have introduced bigger and harder (way harder) jumping puzzles over time" which is not what I wanted to hear but seems very honest.

    No need to feel awkward, the /gg command is basically saving everyone time and speeding up the clear in those fractals.
    I don't think i've met anyone that looked down on my while i /gg'd to skip the jumping. No one actually likes that stuff lol, especially not after the 500th time they've done it after like a year or something. That's why i said to not be afraid to use /gg. It's just faster.

    Also, the real jumping puzzles are outside of instances. And you can get Prototype Position Rewinder, to make them easy for you, though, outside of a few achievements, they're entirely optional. Inside of fractals the rewinder doesn't work and the jumping parts aren't really true jumping puzzles, or at least not the hard ones. And yes, i agree that's subjective, but if you plan on running fractals constantly, you'll run the same ones hundreds of times over a long period. So those parts become "someone rushes to the checkpoint and the rest /gg to catch up" basically.

  • brgmns.9235brgmns.9235 Member ✭✭

    @Veprovina.4876 said:

    No need to feel awkward, the /gg command is basically saving everyone time and speeding up the clear in those fractals.
    I don't think i've met anyone that looked down on my while i /gg'd to skip the jumping. No one actually likes that stuff lol, especially not after the 500th time they've done it after like a year or something. That's why i said to not be afraid to use /gg. It's just faster.

    Also, the real jumping puzzles are outside of instances. And you can get Prototype Position Rewinder, to make them easy for you, though, outside of a few achievements, they're entirely optional. Inside of fractals the rewinder doesn't work and the jumping parts aren't really true jumping puzzles, or at least not the hard ones. And yes, i agree that's subjective, but if you plan on running fractals constantly, you'll run the same ones hundreds of times over a long period. So those parts become "someone rushes to the checkpoint and the rest /gg to catch up" basically.

    This makes sense I guess, I felt bad today because the group literally waited (even after I said I dread the jump parts) and I wish they would have just said just wait till we say so then /gg. That said I wouldn't have understood what I was missing, which seems like not much, and felt awkward anyway I guess. lol

    Side note I did the fractal today because the guild I joined invited me, I'd never done anything but storyline, events, hearts and gathering/crafting so I knew I had a lot of the game left to see and figured I'd branch out since they offered to keep me alive (I'm not level 80, they all were). So I'm not sure I'd ever do hundreds of them. lol

  • Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @brgmns.9235 said:

    @Veprovina.4876 said:

    No need to feel awkward, the /gg command is basically saving everyone time and speeding up the clear in those fractals.
    I don't think i've met anyone that looked down on my while i /gg'd to skip the jumping. No one actually likes that stuff lol, especially not after the 500th time they've done it after like a year or something. That's why i said to not be afraid to use /gg. It's just faster.

    Also, the real jumping puzzles are outside of instances. And you can get Prototype Position Rewinder, to make them easy for you, though, outside of a few achievements, they're entirely optional. Inside of fractals the rewinder doesn't work and the jumping parts aren't really true jumping puzzles, or at least not the hard ones. And yes, i agree that's subjective, but if you plan on running fractals constantly, you'll run the same ones hundreds of times over a long period. So those parts become "someone rushes to the checkpoint and the rest /gg to catch up" basically.

    This makes sense I guess, I felt bad today because the group literally waited (even after I said I dread the jump parts) and I wish they would have just said just wait till we say so then /gg. That said I wouldn't have understood what I was missing, which seems like not much, and felt awkward anyway I guess. lol

    Side note I did the fractal today because the guild I joined invited me, I'd never done anything but storyline, events, hearts and gathering/crafting so I knew I had a lot of the game left to see and figured I'd branch out since they offered to keep me alive (I'm not level 80, they all were). So I'm not sure I'd ever do hundreds of them. lol

    Well, talk to your group (if you have a static one), tell them your concernes, what you can and can't do and work on a strategy together. :smile:
    And since they're carrying you anyway (you're not 80 yet), i don't think they expect anything of you (yet), they probably just wanted to show you some other content.

    That said, if you really don't like fractals, there's no reason to do them, you're not missing out on anything important. T4 fractals (which require 150 Agony resistance and full ascended gear) and CMs (challange motes - harder versions of some fractals) can be lucrative and that's why people do them. That's why i said people do them hundreds of times, it's because every day, a random set of fractals will give you extra loot due to the daily achievements. So people do dailies. And when you do them over a longer period, you naturally know all the mechanics and paths without trying. For you, that's sill far away as you need to gear up to even attempt them (agony will kill you if you don't have resistance), so consider your T1 fractals as an introduction to the mechanics. They're easy and perfect for practicing.

    If you don't like them though, there's no pressure to continue doing them. You can do the content you like, and there's a lot of it. There's dungeons (that are kind of abandoned but still, people play them for unique skins and rewards), Raids (though if you're not into fractals, raids won't be any more attractive, they're like fractals on steroids without the agony mechanic), PvP, World vs World, Open world meta events and achievement collections, adventures, story, Beetle racing, Dragon response missions, Strikes... There's a lot to do in this game. :smile:

  • Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭✭

    There are 2 or 3 fracs that have short jumping puzzles. There are also 2 or 3 additional that require you to use special abilities to jump, move around but these don't require precision jumps, only knowing where to go.
    People fail these jumps, haven't seen anyone having an issue with it. With time these will become easier for you. I wouldn't give up if you like the rest of the content.

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Using /gg to skip through sections as soon as someone has reached the check point is pretty much standard practice for people who do it routinely.

    @brgmns.9235 said:

    @Veprovina.4876 said:

    No need to feel awkward, the /gg command is basically saving everyone time and speeding up the clear in those fractals.
    I don't think i've met anyone that looked down on my while i /gg'd to skip the jumping. No one actually likes that stuff lol, especially not after the 500th time they've done it after like a year or something. That's why i said to not be afraid to use /gg. It's just faster.

    Also, the real jumping puzzles are outside of instances. And you can get Prototype Position Rewinder, to make them easy for you, though, outside of a few achievements, they're entirely optional. Inside of fractals the rewinder doesn't work and the jumping parts aren't really true jumping puzzles, or at least not the hard ones. And yes, i agree that's subjective, but if you plan on running fractals constantly, you'll run the same ones hundreds of times over a long period. So those parts become "someone rushes to the checkpoint and the rest /gg to catch up" basically.

    This makes sense I guess, I felt bad today because the group literally waited (even after I said I dread the jump parts) and I wish they would have just said just wait till we say so then /gg. That said I wouldn't have understood what I was missing, which seems like not much, and felt awkward anyway I guess. lol

    Side note I did the fractal today because the guild I joined invited me, I'd never done anything but storyline, events, hearts and gathering/crafting so I knew I had a lot of the game left to see and figured I'd branch out since they offered to keep me alive (I'm not level 80, they all were). So I'm not sure I'd ever do hundreds of them. lol

    That sounds like a communication issue.

    When taking someone into any sort of content for the first time it is best to let people experience it at their own pace instead of trying to rush them through it. Did they know you really rather not do it?

    With regards to those sections, sometimes I do them and sometimes I don't. It just depends on how I am feeling at that moment.

  • TheAgedGnome.7520TheAgedGnome.7520 Member ✭✭✭

    @brgmns.9235 said:
    My thing is why so much jumping? If I wanted to play Super Mario I'd load it up and play.

    This. One kitten hundred thousand times this.