Can we get some more melee looking Staves? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Can we get some more melee looking Staves?

Sifu.9745Sifu.9745 Member ✭✭✭
edited April 5, 2021 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

99% of staves in this game looks like wizard's staves. There are only 2 or 3 exceptions. That's kind of weird, because we have two professions that use staff as a melee weapon: Revenant and Daredevil. Can we get more staff skins that looks like a melee staff (something like Daredevil's base staff skin) or at least looks more like a spear?

Comments

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

Seconded! My daredevil is plenty happy with his metal clad bo stick but variations would be nice. They can be fancy, have interesting end pieces, they just need to be symmetric (ie both ends the same or maybe a bashing end and a slashing end) and have end pieces that look like something you'd use to bash or cut without worrying about breaking your pretty arcane focus.

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭

You might want to use https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gallery_of_staves to see if anything fits your liking.

Currently using Dominator staff on my revenant , but I considered using Shiny Staff and Bo Staff as well. There's a few which don't have the symmetry you seek which appear more as though they were fit for polearms or scythes.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2021

There Are plenty of Staves that look decent for hitting people.
    Adamant Guard Staff
    the Charr Legion Staves
    Bo
    Candy Cane Staff
    Daredeveil's Staff
    Darkspear

And that's just a few, but there definitely are more than three staves that look fine for hitting people.
    There even are Staves that look like Spears, in case Warrior gets a two-handed landspear elite specialization with with End of Dragons.

• Doggie.3184Doggie.3184 Member ✭✭✭

Dreamwalker Scythe is my current favorite so I can be MTSC Thief but I wish when they'd make melee staves like such they'd at least rotate it on Thief/Revenant with certain animations so you actually swing the bladed part properly instead of sideways like the Thief 1 does.

• Sylvyn.4750Sylvyn.4750 Member ✭✭✭

This one is kinda cool, a polearm with a long blade on one end and spike on the other, but yeah, there are only a few that look like a polearm compared to all the other wizardly ones: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Lightward%27s_Battlestaff.jpg

• Seconded !!

• The Greyhawk.9107The Greyhawk.9107 Member ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot more melee skinned staves than you think, OP. Somewhere between ten and fifteen different skins. That said I myself am not against adding a few more good ones.

Hate Is Fuel.

• Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

My favorite staff for smacking people around is Lightward's Battlestaff.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Berserker%27s_Lightward%27s_Battlestaff

Ask a child a question and you'll get a childish answer.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:

Took me years to get that one....

Hate Is Fuel.

• Redfeather.6401Redfeather.6401 Member ✭✭✭

I use the Dominator Skin on my daredevil and Revenant.

Click on your name up top. Click the little icon with the down arrow for preferences. Click Signature Settings to the right.

• Yggranya.5201Yggranya.5201 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't even care much what they look like as long as they are symmetrical. Why most designers of weapons/armors for games love asymmetry so much is beyond me.

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Game of Bones.8975 said:

My favorite on rev.
    Before I acquired that skin I loved the guild pillar too. Very brutal looking weapon with that chain on it.
    The dominator staff from bl keys is aggressive looking too.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

@Yggranya.5201 said:
    I don't even care much what they look like as long as they are symmetrical. Why most designers of weapons/armors for games love asymmetry so much is beyond me.

Pole-arms tend to be asymmetrical.

Hate Is Fuel.

• Antycypator.9874Antycypator.9874 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2021

Nobody mentioned Forged Staff — great for fire-themed character (it also has a Fire effect). Still one of my favorite staffs skins.

Master of garbage builds and being useless.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2021

@Antycypator.9874 said:
    Nobody mentioned Forged Staff — great for fire-themed character (it also has a Fire effect). Still one of my favorite staffs skins.

My DD is using that one, and it indeed looks great - not only as a skin, but with DD animations as well.

A staff skin does not need to be symmetrical to be good for melee.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

Every once in a while I would forget and be swatting monsters with the bushy end of Nevermore. You have never seen ravens so angry in your life.

Ask a child a question and you'll get a childish answer.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:

Yeah. Obviously a staff isn't the same as a spear or halberd.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:

But a melee style staff effectively is.

Hate Is Fuel.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:

DD animations work equally fine with both.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:

DD animations work equally fine with both.

It's actually pretty dumb to swing them like they were symmetrical considering the random, bloated tip on one end and nothing/a smaller version on the other. Works? Yeah, works in the sense that you can kill a massive dragon as an Asura by stabbing it really hard multiple times.

• Gombie.3860Gombie.3860 Member ✭✭

More polearms would be nice. My favourite weapon for my thief is the lightward battlestaff. Makes you feel like something out of a Kung Fu movie. Love to see more Asian style polearms/spears.